Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What Condition Is Your Realms Collection In?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  22:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been reading Realms novels since Darkwalker on Moonshae showed up in the late 80's. Many of the novels I have are the original releases I bought then. I am very careful when I read novels and very little (if any) spine creasing can be seen.

I have collected almost all of the novels - I am missing less than a dozen. Of course, included in the ones I am missing are Netheril and Lost Empires sets. I am having a hard time finding those in Like new condition.

Are all of your collections in 'Like New' condition? If you were looking for the same novels I am, would you purchase used copies that might have some spine creasing, etc. just to obtain the missing novel? Would you be willing to spend $6-$8 on a 'Very Good' copy of these novels? I am trying to decide if I am being unrealistic in holding out to find 'Like new' copies of these two sets of novels.

Also, how many of you purchase the different versions of re-releases (for example the many Drizzt versions, the new reissued Giants or Moonshae series, the Threats omnibus)? Is there new content in any of these that makes them worth purchasing again?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  23:01:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer my copies to be in better condition, but some of the ones I've bought, I had to settle for merely Good or Very Good -- particular with some of the earlier ones, or some of the really hard to find ones.

I actually had to replace most of my collection. For me, it was more important to get the book in at least Good condition than it was to hold out for a copy in Like New shape. I have gotten lucky on some of them, though -- I found the Threat From the Sea and the Netheril trilogies in Like New condition, and I've a copy of the first edition of both The Crystal Shard (with Drizzt's age stated as being 200+) and Spellfire, both of which are in Like New condition.

I'd complete the collection first, and then go back and try to get copies in better condition, if necessary. That's pretty much how I've done it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  02:08:32  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

Was 'Murder in Halruaa' ever published in paperback or just hardcover? I am missing that one as well...
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  03:22:58  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhoebryn

Thanks.

Was 'Murder in Halruaa' ever published in paperback or just hardcover? I am missing that one as well...

From my research it was only released in hardcover, but Murder in Cormyr was in both hardcover and paperback.

I like my novels to be in the 'like new' or very good condition at least as well. When I was filling out my collection I ended up making some larger $ purchases in order to get a condition upgrade. I also ended up settling on a few very rare 'good' condition books.

I like Wooly's suggestion: complete it first, then replace any unacceptable books.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  15:12:38  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i keep my books in the best condition possible. most of the time, when i'm done reading a book, it looks like it hasn't been read at all. no wear to the spine, no spine cocking, no creases, no dog-eared pages, nothing. the only signs a book's been read will be the ink stain on the edge of the pages, and perhaps a dinged corner or two.

i own every single Realms book, and maybe half of them are brand new (and still waiting to be read). the other half are the ones i had to get on ebay because they just aren't available in stores anymore.

of those, most are in excellent, but still clearly (and gently) used condition, while maybe five or fewer absolutely need to be replaced because they're in terrible shape. Thornhold's just beat up, Tymora's Luck and one of the Threat From the Sea books have severe spine-cocking, and a couple others have some serious wear as well. of course all of these that need replacing are amongst the hardest to find.

as has been said by others, my main priority was simply finishing my collection. i always looked for the best condition possible, and i bought a few big lots of books. i wound up with a ton of duplicates because of upgrades and whatnot. but given the choice between a beat-up copy and nothing, i'd opt for the beat-up copy, figuring i would just upgrade it when i could.

i'll eventually replace the few that need to be replaced, but it's not an active pursuit right now. ultimately my goal is not to have "new" copies of every book, since that would be too exhausting and likely too expensive.

Edited by - rockyoumonkeys on 18 May 2009 15:19:51
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  14:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of mine I am very careful with so I keep them in as near mint condition as possible, but I have had to purchase some lower quality used novels in order to complete my collection. The way I look at those is, at least I don't have to be super careful. But when a good one accidentaly goes bad (like dropping a book in the snow), it becomes a time to shed some tears lol.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  19:26:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on how many times I have read them. I am always careful with books, but after fifteen years and a few rereads some of them have gotten rather worn.

As for Re-releases and new editions; I never buy them. I don't have the room any more as what space is left goes to unread books. Don't let the scientists fool you, Space is limited. In addition to the fact that I have never liked any of the new covers used.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  19:59:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost every book I own is in mint condition. I despise people who snap the spines of their books, which is why I stopped loaning out books to people. I've actually had friends buy new books because they destroyed them when they "borrowed" them. I say borrowed because they now own the original one I loaned them and I got a new copy that wasn't destroyed.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  00:43:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm at pretty much the same point -- with ALL my FR books, gaming supplements included. In fact, it was only yesterday that one of my fellow gamers remarked that my copy of the FRCS 3e looked brand new. She thought that I must have replaced my older copy recently. To which I replied, "No, it's still the original copy that I purchased back in '01."

And while I don't condone spine-line/breaking, I have, unfortunately, see some of the books in my collection fall victim to the dreaded horrors of "dog-earring" -- thanks largely to the Lady K's habits. I'm slowly trying to wean her off such dependence when reading FR novels [and I've been fairly strict with my copy of Downshadow, which she managed to snap up before I did]. Though she does know it's a specially signed copy from Erik, so I expect she'll treat it with the same reverence I would usually attribute to all parts of my FR novel collection.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 May 2009 00:46:27
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  01:09:35  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take it none of y'all make marginal notes, paste in addendums and home made indices, pencil in corrections when errata are published, and so on? Questions to ask the author, comments and idle thoughts about the content, character lists? Most of my books, from novels to textbooks, to gaming rules, look very "worked with."

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  01:36:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I take it none of y'all make marginal notes, paste in addendums and home made indices, pencil in corrections when errata are published, and so on? Questions to ask the author, comments and idle thoughts about the content, character lists? Most of my books, from novels to textbooks, to gaming rules, look very "worked with."

It depends on the book. If I've got important stuff to add/write to a particular book [for campaign purposes or whatever], then I'll likely go out and purchase a second copy if it's still in print. Otherwise, I just usually set aside a small notebook while I'm reading a novel or tome, which I use to scribble down notes, questions, thoughts, and any other mental meanderings that occur to me while I'm reading the book. I'll usually paste any addendums into the notebooks themselves, rather than the actual physical copy of the book.

Of course, the down side to this habit, is that I'm slowly being drowned in a sea of notebooks -- each of which are attached to their own individual source in my vast library. I'm rapidly running out of room!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  01:46:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Echoes Sage, a notebook is used for me to or I write them up on the puter.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6654 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  01:51:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My main vice is doing a small dog-ear in my FR novels at the bottom of the page when a tidbit of interesting lore is revealed that I might want to track down in a hurry. I usually remember which novel/sourcebook has the info but sometimes it is a trial to work out where that lore is in that same product - that's where the dog ears come in.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  14:44:37  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Almost every book I own is in mint condition. I despise people who snap the spines of their books, which is why I stopped loaning out books to people. I've actually had friends buy new books because they destroyed them when they "borrowed" them. I say borrowed because they now own the original one I loaned them and I got a new copy that wasn't destroyed.

I've done that with some friends also, and I don't loan them anything anymore. I only let my brother read my books cause he's proved he can take good care of them.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  14:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

It depends on the book. If I've got important stuff to add/write to a particular book [for campaign purposes or whatever], then I'll likely go out and purchase a second copy if it's still in print. Otherwise, I just usually set aside a small notebook while I'm reading a novel or tome, which I use to scribble down notes, questions, thoughts, and any other mental meanderings that occur to me while I'm reading the book. I'll usually paste any addendums into the notebooks themselves, rather than the actual physical copy of the book.

Of course, the down side to this habit, is that I'm slowly being drowned in a sea of notebooks -- each of which are attached to their own individual source in my vast library. I'm rapidly running out of room!

I used to but I lost the habit of it. I take notes with the playing books, but the novels, I figure at this point, I haven't taken notes for all of them (often couldn't anyways) so I don't bother. I regret it sometimes, but meh, I could always maybe hit you up for copies of your notes LOL j/k

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  16:03:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a lot of notes I'd taken, when reading various books... Most of mine, though, were along the lines of a book and page number, some greatly summarized blurb of what was of interest, and a note along the lines of "this is great!" or "much potential -- do something with!"

Sadly, all of those notes were in notebooks that were in the fire.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  16:56:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I regret it sometimes, but meh, I could always maybe hit you up for copies of your notes LOL j/k
Heh. I keep saying I'm going to start typing up my notebooks and making electronic copies of them.

Just another thing to add to my infamous "To-Do" list.

Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  18:14:54  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I have managed to plug just about all of the holes in my Realms collection via Amazon zShops, eBay and half.com.

I have received the following:

Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn $6.50 (like new)
Face of Deception $4.00 (very gently used - great shape)
The Nether Scroll $7 (minor spine crease otherwise in very good shape)
Murder in Halruaa $17 (hardcover - looks unread)
Sword Play $9 (like new)
Dangerous Games $4 (very gently used - in very good shape)
Mortal Consequences $10 (like new)
Thornhold $7 (brand new and unread - ordered it with the Harpers artwork to complete that series)
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor $6 (like new)

These have been ordered/won and I am awaiting arrival (all are supposed to be very good to like new with no spine creasing):

Once Around the Realms $4.25
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal $$10
Star of Cursrah $5
Black Wizards $4.25 (lost my original copy)
Council of Blades $6
Elfshadow $4.50 (ordered it with the Harpers artwork to complete that series)

I averaged $6.25 per paperback (not including the one hardcover). All prices above included shipping. I am just missing "The Lost Library of Cormanthyr" and the Double Diamond series (not sure I care to get the DD series). I did get a copy of "The Lost Library of Cormanthyr" that was advertised as "Like New" but the spine had been destroyed with creases so that went back.

All in all a good haul!!!!!

Edited by - Jhoebryn on 21 May 2009 18:16:13
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  04:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't bear to write in any books I own, LOL.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  11:52:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Post-it notes are your friends. They can be used as bookmarks to avoid dog-ears, and they can remove the need to keep a notebook close at hand.

Of course, if the book is bad I'll just write in it anyway in the hope I'll manage to make it more interesting.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  18:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Post-it notes are your friends.

Indeed! A handy way to leave markings without regret.

quote:
Of course, if the book is bad I'll just write in it anyway in the hope I'll manage to make it more interesting.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  11:34:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Thank you, I'll be here all week

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

cephet
Acolyte

Germany
12 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  02:28:39  Show Profile Send cephet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My collection started quite recently, being only a few months old. It's slowly growing when I have spare money to buy a new book that I want to read.

Echoing what others have said, if a book is no longer in print I'll be happy to have it in a rather abused condition and hope I can find one of better quality later on. As for my new books, I read each page very carefully trying not to crease the spine of the book. The books I've read only have very, very, very little creases on the spine which can't really be prevented. Besides, most people would require a magnifying glass to see it and I comfort myself with the idea that a little wear on a book makes it look loved.

As for friends borrowing books... no way in hell. My collection is rather secret to be honest; I don't talk to my friends about it, though that's more to do with their lack of interest in the Realms than me actively trying to keep it secret. I won't let my brother read the books because I've inspected the spines of the books he reads and I was horrified by the look of the creases in his books. He doesn't dog ear pages, which is good, but he has a little way to go before he can get his hands on my collection. I also have to wash my hands and dry them well before I touch any of my books... stinks of OCD but oh well.

I probably take the condition of the collection a little too far, but at least it's in good condition, and hopefully will be for years to come.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  14:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aside from the books I bought 2nd-hand and Shadowdale, I think, they are in near-mint condition...as are most other books I ever bought... game-books are treated well, but you know the tabel, eh?

Tho there's only 2 more Realms-books I'll buy and then be done with it, mainly because I have enough to last a couple of years and there's so much other reading material out there...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  17:11:17  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhoebryn

What Condition Is Your Realms Collection In?

Ummm, my Realms are . . . Forgotten ™.

OK, sorry about that. Couldn't resist. I'll shut up, now.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  11:16:10  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
don't know where my novels are, once I read it, it's over

in the library, attic, friends that never return stuff, who cares
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  14:40:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I'm obviously the other way... I've not gotten rid of my only copy of a novel in years, unless I really didn't like it. Even if I didn't think I was ever going to read it again, I still kept it.

...Though losing all of my novels in the fire did simplify things somewhat. Now that I'm in replacement mode, I can forgo some of the titles that I didn't care for but held on to for various reasons.

Heh, and with that in mind, I can sum up, in one word, the condition of my original FR collection: ash.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Jun 2009 14:42:52
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  15:25:35  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that's horrible, at least you're purged, if that's comforting

there are some novels of which I'll always have one copy among other fantasy classics, like the Finder's Stone books or Evermeet
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  15:59:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

that's horrible, at least you're purged, if that's comforting

*shrugs* I could rail and complain and be miserable, or I can move on with my life and see where losing everything did have some benefits. By nature, I roll with the punches, so the latter option is what I did.

Besides, it could have been a lot worse... Everything was in storage, and it was the storage place that burned down. If I had to choose a way to lose everything, I don't think I could come up with a better method.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Jun 2009 16:00:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  16:12:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think I could ever be so lackadaisical with my novels. I've got to know where they're stored, and if they're stored properly/safely.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  16:13:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

there are some novels of which I'll always have one copy among other fantasy classics, like the Finder's Stone books or Evermeet

I've always got Ed's FR novels close at hand, mostly because I like to re-read certain portions every now and then for any Ed-lore that I might have missed previously.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000