Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ched Nassad Update
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vendrin
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  21:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Vendrin's Homepage Send Vendrin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been looking all day offline and online, but I haven't been able to find any update on Ched Nassad after it's destruction besides a short paragraph on the FR wiki.

quote:
Ched Nasad was founded by the noble house Nasadra. Ched Nasad was a powerful drow city in the Underdark which was overthrown by the machinations of Jaezred Chaulssin during the War of the Spider Queen. [1] The Jaezred Chaulssin tried to rebuild the city in the image of a non-matriarchal society but the death of their god Vhaeraun caused them to abandon this tactic and allow the return of Lolth-worshipping drow, though the organization still holds much power over the place.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or is that all we know officially as of now?

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  21:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an entry on Chad Nasad on page 233 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide.

The city has been rebuilt.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Vendrin
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  22:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Vendrin's Homepage Send Vendrin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the 4.0 edition?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  23:54:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vendrin

That's the 4.0 edition?

Yup. 1E was the Forgotten Realms Campaign Set, 2E and 3E both shared the name Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and 4E has the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Which is a bit surprising, actually, given their love of reusing the same name over and over again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 May 2009 23:55:29
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  23:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vendrin

That's the 4.0 edition?

???

I guess. It's the latest lore.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  00:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup. 1E was the Forgotten Realms Campaign Set, 2E and 3E both shared the name Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and 4E has the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Which is a bit surprising, actually, given their love of reusing the same name over and over again.

A love "they" share, to be sure, with pretty much everybody who's ever published a continually updated sf/fantasy world.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  00:16:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:

A love "they" share, to be sure, with pretty much everybody who's ever published a continually updated sf/fantasy world.

Really? How many of these companies have used the exact same name three times, across multiple editions -- especially with products that are only broadly connected to earlier ones sharing that name?

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  00:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[ How many of these companies have used the exact same name three times, across multiple editions -- especially with products that are only broadly connected to earlier ones sharing that name?

Man, I couldn't begin to guess. But I might start a list with TSR, FASA, DC Comics, Marvel Comics, Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc., Conan Properties Inc., the J.R.R. Tolkien Discretionary Settlement legal entity, LucasFilm... I mean, c'mon--there have been multiple editions of "Archie's Pal Jughead." And I've been reading about the various Legions of Super-Heroes for over thirty years. Pick another nit, Wooly. You got not no case to make here, unless it's a case against corporately produced IP at large, in which case, you're in the wrong fandom.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  03:54:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:
[ How many of these companies have used the exact same name three times, across multiple editions -- especially with products that are only broadly connected to earlier ones sharing that name?

Man, I couldn't begin to guess. But I might start a list with TSR, FASA, DC Comics, Marvel Comics, Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc., Conan Properties Inc., the J.R.R. Tolkien Discretionary Settlement legal entity, LucasFilm... I mean, c'mon--there have been multiple editions of "Archie's Pal Jughead." And I've been reading about the various Legions of Super-Heroes for over thirty years. Pick another nit, Wooly. You got not no case to make here, unless it's a case against corporately produced IP at large, in which case, you're in the wrong fandom.

Comics, novel lines? Those are your examples? That's not at all the same thing as making multiple different game products, with differing content, and slapping the exact same title on them over and over and over. Are you really going to tell me you think having three different Draconomicons, three different Drow of the Underdarks, and two or three different Manuals of the Planes is the same as multiple comic books about the same guy, or that it's a good idea to confuse your customers by not displaying the tiniest shard of creativity?

Your refusal to acknowledge a point is not proof of its absence.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  04:46:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Meh>

I'm not so much annoyed at the re-use of names, as I am of the re-use of FR product names for core products.

I also get annoyed at the constant destruction and then re-building of towns, cities, fortresses, and towers. Usually by the time I get around to reading about the destruction in a novel, I've already read in a sourcebook how it was rebuilt.

Heck, Luskan went from a ruin to a viable city just between the two 4e sourcebooks.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  23:56:30  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Heck, Luskan went from a ruin to a viable city just between the two 4e sourcebooks.

Oh, it did? I thought with 4e it went down the drain... so they already reanimated it?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  02:03:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup.

Now it's just a slum.

Which doesn't make it a whole lot different then it used to be.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  21:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yup.

Now it's just a slum.

Which doesn't make it a whole lot different then it used to be.

Odour and dirt notwithstanding, I personally find a slum can hold a certain...filthy attraction; society reduced to it's desperate roots. grins
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  22:16:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually don't understand why, in 4E, Luskan is still around. 4000 people, a useless harbor, and no government at all... So who is bringing food and other goods into the city? How do they get it into the city? What are they getting in exchange? Why are people still living there, rather than heading out to someplace where they're not likely to be knifed in the streets?

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  01:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all honesty...Luskan is far from the only thing in 4E I donīt understand...but as to why itīs still around? Might be because it did play a rather prominent role in some of the books of a certain novel series. Damn meta-campaign-desinging and all that. Ahem...you meant an in-game reason, didnīt you?
Well, as some Calishite assassin once put it in my home campaign : "īTis better to be knifed at home, than to be eaten by something you donīt know the name of somewhere you also donīt know the name of." Hmm, doesnīt really help...sorry.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000