Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Restless Shore - Prologue and Chapters 1 - 7
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  17:15:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Restless Shore (Book 2 of "The Wilds" series), by James P. Davis. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 7 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Aug 2010 05:41:43

Steffen Farslayer
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  21:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Steffen Farslayer's Homepage Send Steffen Farslayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the book started off with a bang. The dream sequence at the beginning was chilling. Something about being in the water and feeling something slide by your leg but not being able to see it has always unnerved me. I think this initial scene sets the tone for the book.

I liked the tie in to the the Abolethic Sovereignty and the Keepers of the Cerulean Sign. I enjoyed Bruce Cordell's Plague of Spells and I thought that the "Lovecraftian" feel fit into this story as well.

Up to this point the most chilling part of the book was when Sefir addressed his mentor as "Lord Khault". After reading about the farmer that helped Uhthalion and Brandani and then seeing that he had become something else was really creepy. Though running a close second was the kaia.

"It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die." - The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Edited by - Steffen Farslayer on 11 May 2009 21:33:18
Go to Top of Page

Steffen Farslayer
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  16:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Steffen Farslayer's Homepage Send Steffen Farslayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was difficult to pick a favorite character between Uthalion, Brinidani, and Vaasurri. All of them seemed to be carrying secrets. Uthalion and Brinidani's were easier to clue in on as they both had been deeply effected by what they had witnessed at Tohrepur and Caidris, but Vaasuri, now he is different altogether. I never really got a feel of what his agenda was. I know that Uthalion saved his life and that was probably the reason he was staying with him but there were times when his hair and eyes changed, in fact his whole demeanor, and you didn't know what he was going to do. This was another thing that added to the creepy feel of the story.

I do not want to leave out Ghaelya, she was interesting as well, and I especially liked the genasi race. Her intentions were clear, rescue her sister.

Question to Mr. Davis, How did you come up with the idea for Uthalion's ring? I liked how it added to the story. It kept the dreams at bay while allowing him to function.

"It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die." - The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Edited by - Steffen Farslayer on 13 May 2009 16:27:32
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  06:11:41  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen Farslayer

It was difficult to pick a favorite character between Uthalion, Brinidani, and Vaasurri. All of them seemed to be carrying secrets. Uthalion and Brinidani's were easier to clue in on as they both had been deeply effected by what they had witnessed at Tohrepur and Caidris, but Vaasuri, now he is different altogether. I never really got a feel of what his agenda was. I know that Uthalion saved his life and that was probably the reason he was staying with him but there were times when his hair and eyes changed, in fact his whole demeanor, and you didn't know what he was going to do. This was another thing that added to the creepy feel of the story.

I do not want to leave out Ghaelya, she was interesting as well, and I especially liked the genasi race. Her intentions were clear, rescue her sister.

Question to Mr. Davis, How did you come up with the idea for Uthalion's ring? I liked how it added to the story. It kept the dreams at bay while allowing him to function.

Well, from the original notes Uthalion was a very different character and the working title was simply 'Restless'. As Uthalion went from one incarnation to the next (lot of changes during that first month of brainstorming) I starting working on his first scene and came to the bit about his wedding ring (a description that matches my own slightly bent wedding ring). The more I considered that ring, the more I knew it needed a counterpart, a 'villain-ring' if you will. An object that enabled the more self-destructive parts of himself (like his paranoia and PTSD), but was also helpful in a slightly deceptive way. So then it became a battle, the gold vs. the silver.

(and it kept quite nicely with the 'restless' theme that was expressed through each character in different ways)

All the characters changed considerably as the notes progressed (and even more in the first and second draft phases). It was some time before I was sure who the primary POV's would be, though given another 50,000 words I might have fully expanded on them all, heh!. I think Vaasurri's role/theme is the most subtle of the group, but I won't spoil it right away here. I'll wait and see if anyone picks up on that (though I'll be glad to spoil away in the last chapters thread).

Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  18:22:17  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far it's been a slow read for me and I'm not sure why. The story is fairly interesting, but I guess I was expecting more references to Akanul's history in Abier and it's arrival on Toril. It could also be that I hate the new Genasi.....but that's not Mr. Davis' fault. I'm hoping that the history of the area gets more fleshed out later in the book.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  07:30:44  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

So far it's been a slow read for me and I'm not sure why. The story is fairly interesting, but I guess I was expecting more references to Akanul's history in Abier and it's arrival on Toril. It could also be that I hate the new Genasi.....but that's not Mr. Davis' fault. I'm hoping that the history of the area gets more fleshed out later in the book.

I'll admit, while there are some bits of history and lore here and there, I didn't focus too much on the region's past, just the parts that are directly involved in the story. With characters that live and survive in the region, the present (and saving their necks) was certainly at the forefront.

As for the genasi, I wasn't sure at first when I heard about the changes, but they grew on me. Give 'em a shot they're pretty cool.

Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  08:47:40  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I'll admit, while there are some bits of history and lore here and there, I didn't focus too much on the region's past, just the parts that are directly involved in the story. With characters that live and survive in the region, the present (and saving their necks) was certainly at the forefront.

As for the genasi, I wasn't sure at first when I heard about the changes, but they grew on me. Give 'em a shot they're pretty cool.

Best,
--James

Thanks for the reply James. I totally understand the character driven story. But since this is a region that comes from the great 4E shakeup I was hoping to get some lore in this novel for the region. I have been looking for reasons to like the "new" parts of the Realms and some history of the land and it's people would help greatly.

So I am nearing the end of Chapter 7 and I really liked the scene with the Mother of Nightmares. Overall I love where you are going with it. As for the Genasi......I've tried being open minded about them, but I really loved how the Genasi were done in 3E so it's a tough sell.

James
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000