Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 WoTC/FR PDF's being pulled from Paizo.com
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  02:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

All of Wizards Share holders approved the sale.

BRIMSTONE

That just goes to show... greed conquers all.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  02:40:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if you owned D&D and the Realms, and someone offerred you $300 million, you'd say f#$% Ed and f#$% the Realms... any normal person would.

If you need to sleep at night, $300 million buys a whole lotta sleep-aids.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Apr 2009 02:41:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  04:37:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

All of Wizards Share holders approved the sale.

BRIMSTONE

That just goes to show... greed conquers all.

It does not show that. What it shows is that at the time, everyone was convinced that a sale to Hasbro was a good idea. Maybe it was the money, but I'm sure at least one person thought it was the best thing for the company. Just because we now disagree doesn't mean that it wasn't a good idea at the time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  05:52:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hind sight is always 20/20. I know I would have approved the sale back then. Now knowing what I do now, I am not to sure of it.

666th post.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 12 Apr 2009 05:54:22
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  06:51:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Who is "everyone" in this case? Are they now buying significantly more or less Wizards product because of this decision? What percentage of the active Wizards customer base do they represent? You mentioned public relations. If every person who has gone on record as seeing nefarious motives represents ten who feel the same way, how big a PR--or really, more to the point, marketing--hit is that?

Not to put too fine a point on it, what percentage of the people who are complaining were buying new Wizards products already? If all who were now stop, how big a hit is that to the bottom line? Is that supposed hit worth it in comparison to the perceived benefit forecast by the decision makers?

Let me take a shot at this one.

I'm playing in a friend's 4E homebrew campaign. I have decided not to support the 4E Realms, and so I have neither run any games using the setting, nor have I played any campaign using the 4E Realms.

That having been said, I like to play roleplaying games. I don't hate 4E, although I prefer 3.5 (and Pathfinder, which is what I run as a GM). I have a year long subscription to the DDI (I had let my subscription lapse, but the character builder convinced me to come back, as it allowed me to spend a minimal amount of time working on my character), and I've purchased "PC" books for my character (PH, PH II, Adventurer's Vault) and was thinking of getting Divine Power (I play a paladin).

I was also thinking of picking up a few of the 4E books for background fluff on PDF only, since I wasn't running the system myself. Mainly the Manual of the Planes.

On top of all of this, I also really like Star Wars Saga edition, and have all of the books for that system.

So, while I'm not thrilled with 4E, and I'm certainly not positively disposed towards 4E Realms, I have been a current customer of Wizards of the Coast.

I'm not sure now that I'm going to pick up Divine Power, or any of the the other "Player Friendly" 4E books, and obviously I'm not picking up the Manual of the Planes, Draconomicon, or Open Grave, since those were going to be PDF purchases.

I have most of the Realms PDFs that I wanted from previous editions, but I was in the process of picking up Planescape, Al-Qadim, and early 1st edition PDFs like the original Dungeon Master's Guide, so that I would have a reference for things I remembered from when I first started in the hobby.

So, yes, this decision has affected a current customer. To be honest, I'm torn about continuing the Star Wars purchases, but Rodney Thompson and Greg Sarli have been such stand up guys when it comes to the system, its hard for me to blame them for WOTC's decisions on another game.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  20:42:25  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And if you owned D&D and the Realms, and someone offerred you $300 million, you'd say f#$% Ed and f#$% the Realms... any normal person would.

If you need to sleep at night, $300 million buys a whole lotta sleep-aids.

Right, as I said, greed conquers all.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  21:18:32  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ryan Dancey (whose predictive record is mixed) on this

I miss Jim Butler. Business factors aside, the time when all this Realmslore was being made available electronically was better days for the Realms than when it's being withdrawn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  22:34:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... The 3.x days of RSE-of-the-week and Yet-Another-Return have become the Good Old Days. There's something messed up, there.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  03:48:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Point.

And yeah... removing easy-access to older lore, at a time when many FR-newbs are looking to learn whatever they can is just... strange.

Unless one considers the fact that they want the DDi to be the ONLY source for Realmslore from now on.

You know... that 2 or 3 times a year when they actually produce a Realms article... about Warforged....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Apr 2009 03:50:05
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  11:09:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting thread at paizo Big Long Link!

quote:
Originally posted by BPorter on Paizo

I posted this over at ENWorld, but since the PDF debate seems to be going strong here as well, I thought I'd post it here as well in case anyone's interested.

In advance, sorry for the lengthy post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

Like many, I've been watching WotC's PDF-pulling with interest. I chose not to ride the 4e train but still purchased older, out-of-print PDFs. I missed the initial wave of announcements and was irritated that some of my wish list had vanished, but it wasn't a devastating development to me personally.

However, I feel it speaks volumes about WotC. For the last 24 hours, I've watched the various posters on both sides and aside from the sheer idiocy in which WotC has handled this situation, I've also been struck by some of the assumptions being made - both in- and against- WotC's favor. While I have no insider information, these assumptions fly in the face of everything I've encountered while working in corporate America for over 13 years. I am a solutions engineer for a technology company and in addition to seeing the operations of my employer, I have the opportunity to have some level of insight into my customers who cover a wide range of industries.

So here's one man's take on some of the conclusions being drawn:

1. Lawyers Don't Run Companies - Lawyers provide counsel. Executives run companies. So the idea that Lawyers are passing edicts to WotC is pretty far-fetched. Lawyers can provide suggestions, can say "yeah, we have a case and can go after X", and will be part of developing contracts, etc. But an executive or executives make the decisions - in this case, WotC executives. Lawyers, may have written the GSL, but someone within WotC said, "yeah that's what we want". Worst case scenario, someone at Hasbro said it for WotC. Which brings me to ...

2. Parent Companies Don't Micromanage Subsidiaries/Divisions - That's why the susidiary/division has it's own executives. The parent company is supposed to focus on the bigger picture, not the day-to-day operations. I seriously doubt Hasbro is running WotC. For that to be true, WotC's executives have to be empty suits and that is a more alarming prospect for the health & future of the company than PDF piracy. The more likely scenario is that Hasbro is dictating targets that are unrealistic, and WotC leadership is making poor decisions in an effort to make those targets. I've seen it first hand with customers and my own employer at different times throughout my career.

3. Companies aren't evil, but they can lose their way - I know we all love some Shadowrun, but corporations aren't evil. They may be run by evil people but it's orders of magnitude more likely that poor choices are made to support a business plan that's not achievable. There are businesses that put customers first because they understand that there will be no company without them. There are other businesses out there that put shareholder profits far above customer satisfaction, employee satisfaction, or any number of other factors. #1 reason? The Internet boom. Many companies expect double-digit returns every quarter even when it's inarguably demonstrable to be unachievable. You know what helps drive that mentality? Being part of a publicly traded company.

I've also read the threads talking about the court cases and PHB2 sales, unsurprisingly, in Internet-land, people want to have it both ways:
"WotC had to pull PDF sales. The volume of lost sales due to piracy was huge."
"See how successful 4e is, they sold out the first printing!"

I see it as "Since every illegal download doesn't equate to a lost sale and since 4e seems to be selling very well, why the draconian reaction to selling PDFs?" There's a wide range of plausible scenarios that have already been debated in earlier threads. Only WotC knows the truth.

I know what I'm about to say will sound harsh and will earn me a WotC-hater label in certain camps. As gamers, we want to think that the flagship RPG publisher is made up of people just like us - and it is. Unfortunately, it's their job and you don't always get to make decisions or take actions you agree with at work. Sometimes you're ordered to do something, sometimes the decisions made above your head. But let's stop burying our heads in the sand. WotC is making the decisions. Put the credit, whether good or bad, where it is due. Cheer them for the success of 4e, but don't absolve them of decisions that hurt the industry or you as a customer.

If Hasbro doesn't like the decisions or doesn't see the results they want, trust me, they'll make changes. Of what type or scale I can't say. My belief is that Hasbro's role as villain starts and stops with the targets they're giving WotC.

Let's face it, folks, 4e could be a success by any objective measure in the RPG industry, and still be viewed as unsuccessful for not being profitable enough from a WotC or Hasbro perspective.

I agree with Stan! - WotC has dropped the mantle of RPG industry leadership. They've got market share, but there are several decisions that, although clearly beneficial to WotC, are not to the industry, 3PPs, or YOU the customer. Just because a company can do something, doesn't mean that it should.

Sorry for the long post, it's been kicking around in my head for a bit.

Lastly, a wise man once told me the following:
1) Never underestimate the stupidity of a corporation.
2) The only entity dumber than a corporation is a government.
3) The only entity dumber than a government is academia.

Truly Gamers dont have the same priorities as the game-makers.

BRIMSTONE

Mod edit: Cast shrink link.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Apr 2009 14:51:03
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  13:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm developing a "something in the Washington State water" theory. Microsoft had Vista, Wizards this dustup, and now this weekend it seems like every other writer I know is taking down links to amazon.com because of this supposed "programming glitch." Or course, only numbers one and three are likely to wind up being discussed by editorial boards and b-school seminars.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  13:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless one considers the fact that they want the DDi to be the ONLY source for Realmslore from now on.

They're still putting out novels at a pretty good clip, Mark.

The Living Forgotten Realms campaign is producing a half dozen or so new adventures every month, almost of which (that I've seen, anyway) have had at least one or two interesting tidbits of lore (like the material about the social structure, prominent NPCS, and various gangs of Wheloon in the latest Cormyr module, for example).

As for older material, there are still hundreds of thousands of words of free stuff downloadable from wizards.com, both in the form of .pdfs of older edition print products and many, many articles like those in Ed's Border Kingdoms and Dragons of the North series.

DDI itself, of course, has produced over a dozen pieces in the form of articles for Dragon and Dungeon, and the long term goal of at least one piece per month supporting the Realms (and other worlds) should hopefully finally get ramped up in May.

Will new print gaming materials set in the Realms ever be seen, and will the material that was pulled last week will ever be available again in some electronic format? Who would bet money against either? My suspicion is that the makers of Dungeons & Dragons (whoever they may be at a given moment) will carry on the same way they have since 1974.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  14:02:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I go the Gen Con Event Catalog from the site yesterday and just because I'm 'that' guy, I did a quick tally of the Dungeons and Dragons events going on:

4th Edition games: 40%
3.0/3.5/Pathfinder: 40%
DCC Sanctioned Tournament (4E): 14%
Other Editions/Rules: 6%

No wonder the debate is still so strong. If this is any indication at all (and it's not, I know), fans are still split down the middle for 4E/3E.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  14:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, and I know you know, but just to be "that guy," I'll point out that fans who go to GenCon aren't necessarily fully representative of the customer base--the customer base that, as you pointed out yourself, made the second PHB one of the best selling books in America over the last couple of weeks. (In its print incarnation, for clarity's sake.)

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Well, I go the Gen Con Event Catalog from the site yesterday and just because I'm 'that' guy, I did a quick tally of the Dungeons and Dragons events going on:

4th Edition games: 40%
3.0/3.5/Pathfinder: 40%
DCC Sanctioned Tournament (4E): 14%
Other Editions/Rules: 6%

No wonder the debate is still so strong. If this is any indication at all (and it's not, I know), fans are still split down the middle for 4E/3E.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:01:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If GenCon does not constitute WOTC's customer base ( Nerds with $ to travel and spend), I would not know what would!

And while being #2 is awesome, how is the market as a whole? Is it as good as before 4e, I doubt it. But to be fair, with the down turn it's not really fair to compare sales figures to a few years ago, but I would venture a guess and say that hardcore dnd sales are holding their % better that other genres. I may be way off, but that might push DnD type things sales figures "up the charts". I see bigger sales and discounts at book stores every time I go back, but never, ever see sales or discounts on this kinda stuff, thats what makes me feel that they may be a bit more "recession proof" than other book sales.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:18:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They're still putting out novels at a pretty good clip, Mark.

The Living Forgotten Realms campaign is producing a half dozen or so new adventures every month, almost of which (that I've seen, anyway) have had at least one or two interesting tidbits of lore (like the material about the social structure, prominent NPCS, and various gangs of Wheloon in the latest Cormyr module, for example).

Yeah, but this new material is for the 4E Realms, which many of us don't consider to be the real Realms.

And while novels can be a good source of lore, those aren't the only forms of lore we want. We like our print sourcebooks. A lot of us have entire shelves full of print sourcebooks for the Realms -- shelves that will never hold another new book, because WotC's new business plan is "a little support, and then drop it for the next setting".

And the Living Forgotten Realms stuff might be good, but since most of us don't have access to it, we'll never know.

quote:

As for older material, there are still hundreds of thousands of words of free stuff downloadable from wizards.com, both in the form of .pdfs of older edition print products and many, many articles like those in Ed's Border Kingdoms and Dragons of the North series.

Yeah, but there were until last week millions of words available, easily locatable and available for a reasonable price. Now the pool of available older material is much, much smaller. Some of the older sourcebooks/modules are already hard to find, and they're not going to get any more available as time goes on. As someone who has built a collection of Realms material twice, I can say that some things I easily found (aftermarket) the first time around aren't as easy to find the second time around.

quote:

DDI itself, of course, has produced over a dozen pieces in the form of articles for Dragon and Dungeon, and the long term goal of at least one piece per month supporting the Realms (and other worlds) should hopefully finally get ramped up in May.

Many of us feel that several of those articles are not up to the level of quality that a lot of the prior stuff was. And over a dozen things since DDI has gone live is not impressive, when we were getting at least one Realms article every week or so -- for free.

Plus, many people find the current pricing plan for DDI objectionable. I myself object to the idea that I have to pay for everything if all I want is one article.

quote:

Will new print gaming materials set in the Realms ever be seen, and will the material that was pulled last week will ever be available again in some electronic format? Who would bet money against either? My suspicion is that the makers of Dungeons & Dragons (whoever they may be at a given moment) will carry on the same way they have since 1974.

I'll bet against us seeing new print FR gaming material -- they've flat out stated that they are doing three things per setting then moving to the next. There's no room in that business plan for ongoing print support of a setting.

And will we see the material again in some format? Well, they've said that was their goal. But considering how some of their digital goals remain unmet, months after everything was supposed to be live, I don't think we'll ever see that stuff again. If we do, it'll be like the way the digital stuff is coming now -- a mighty river is promised, and we get a small stream. We might get some of that older material, but the vast majority is gone forever -- unless the decision to sell pdfs thru third parties is reversed.

And regardless of what we think about WotC's current direction, we can't assume the company "will carry on the same way they have since 1974". Why not? Because at any given time, the company has gone about its business in a number of different ways. We've seen them putting out new material every month, we've seen them trying to get into other markets, we've seen the company almost die. It's been run by people who have loved the hobby and by people who have hated it. There is no continuity in how WotC and TSR have operated, so I don't see that we can have any expectations for how the business will be run.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:24:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also not convinced the currently available free material will remain that way... The only pre-4E era money was coming from those pdf sales, and they cut off that revenue stream. I think it likely that they might at some point decide it's not worth it to continue to offer the older stuff for free.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christopher, your claims of continuity -- that the deliberately redesigned and repurposed Realms is the same as it always was, that Wizards in 2009 publishes just like tiny TSR in 1974 -- seem highly overstated to me, when in both cases designers, managers and fans alike can all see the big differences. The only sense I can make of them is that the similarities are more important to you, which is a different thing.
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:41:03  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I find truly suspicious about all of this is that for so long now, a number of us have been suggesting that Wizards is simply wiping away everything pre-4e Realms. In other words, clearing the slate and establishing the Sellplague Realms as THE ONLY FORGOTTEN REALMS.

So by removing the ability for digital distributors to sell the older PDFs, like those for the 1e/2e/3e Realms for example, Wizards is furthering their intent to completely divorce the old Realms from the new Realms. And in the process, making it that much hard for newer fans to discover the true decades-long history of the Realms.

Yes, I know, interested fans can scour second-hand bookstores for the older print books. But most are either ridiculously priced or simply hard to find. So by doing this, Wizards is making sure that previously easy to find and relatively cheap FR source material, is denied to the Realms fan.

It's truly ridiculous. But also a clever marketing strategy. Through this move, Wizards will make sure that their Realms has THE place of prominence . . . and all at the expense of pushing both the old Realms to the gutter, along with most of the older fans too.

Way to go Wizards!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Edited by - D-brane on 13 Apr 2009 15:42:35
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  16:05:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ironically, the same group of people that are learning about the Realms as new players are the ones that grew up with Napster and most consider piracy to be harmless. A miscalculation on WotC's part?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  16:19:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

What I find truly suspicious about all of this is that for so long now, a number of us have been suggesting that Wizards is simply wiping away everything pre-4e Realms. In other words, clearing the slate and establishing the Sellplague Realms as THE ONLY FORGOTTEN REALMS.

So by removing the ability for digital distributors to sell the older PDFs, like those for the 1e/2e/3e Realms for example, Wizards is furthering their intent to completely divorce the old Realms from the new Realms. And in the process, making it that much hard for newer fans to discover the true decades-long history of the Realms.

Yes, I know, interested fans can scour second-hand bookstores for the older print books. But most are either ridiculously priced or simply hard to find. So by doing this, Wizards is making sure that previously easy to find and relatively cheap FR source material, is denied to the Realms fan.

It's truly ridiculous. But also a clever marketing strategy. Through this move, Wizards will make sure that their Realms has THE place of prominence . . . and all at the expense of pushing both the old Realms to the gutter, along with most of the older fans too.

Way to go Wizards!

Considering that they pulled all material, I can't see this being their reasoning. If this was their only reason, then older Player's Handbooks, older Dragonlance, older Greyhawk, and older netting-neutral material would have been left alone.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  16:32:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ironically, the same group of people that are learning about the Realms as new players are the ones that grew up with Napster and most consider piracy to be harmless. A miscalculation on WotC's part?

When dealing with Pirates, One should not be surprised when they get "Pirated" themselves ehh??

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 13 Apr 2009 16:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  17:25:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the bottom line -

For whatever reason, someone made this decision because they thought it would benefit the company somehow. Oft times, in the real world, decisions have far-reaching results that no-one calculated on. I feel this is the case; whatever reasoning they had, they wanted to accomplish 'item 'A', and accidently accomplished items 'B', 'C', 'D', etc...

At no point in time was a decision made "for the good of the customer" - it is preposterous to think so. Now, taking all of that into account, and the fact that companies are in business to make money (not friends), it is pretty clear that the 'customer be damned... we need to grow our income" policy was involved with this decision.

Which is funny and very telling of corporations in general - they are all out to "screw the customer", and yet forget that they need these very same customers to survive. They treat it like a war, and we are 'the enemy'. This is why niche-hobbies like RPGs can never survive in the hands of corporations - they assign unobtainable goals based on one or two other products in their repetoire and expect all their products to do likewise.

By limiting the amount of info new players can get to only their own methods of distribution, they feel they will generate more income by forcing the consumer's hand. Before the release of 4e, no-one at Hasbro or WotC ever considered the fact that a large percentage of the industry wouldn't bother with their 4th edition... and now they are in 'panic mode' and doing everything in their power - including making stupid decisions - to stop-up the leak.

If 4e was doing nearly as well as WotC promised Hasbro, they wouldn't be making all these rash decisions. This has all the makings of a bunch of chickens 'freaking-out' and running around without their heads. The only thing they seem to be good at is generating ill-will.

Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  17:48:13  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To paraphrase an old proverb: No business plan survives contact with reality..... or upper management.

And having experienced just how crazy Exec lala-land can be, I can't begin to tell you how true that is.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  18:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If 4e was doing nearly as well as WotC promised Hasbro, they wouldn't be making all these rash decisions. This has all the makings of a bunch of chickens 'freaking-out' and running around without their heads. The only thing they seem to be good at is generating ill-will.

This is exactly what Ryan Dancey with his posts above (see Faraer's post) is saying: 4e tanks, it is selling poorly, the internal decision maker has no confidence in the product, which we learn from PHB2 being sold out. It is an interesting blog post with many comments much to learn from.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  18:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If that's the case, though, I don't think it says much about the new game, or Wizards' management, more that Hasbro is just the wrong size company to publish D&D (and the Realms) with the RPG market the size it is.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  18:27:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

If that's the case, though, I don't think it says much about the new game, or Wizards' management, more that Hasbro is just the wrong size company to publish D&D (and the Realms) with the RPG market the size it is.

I've thought for a long time that a big company that makes toys and boardgames isn't the best possible owner of a small company that makes RPGs.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  19:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except in that they have the money to actually advertise the game and expand the player-base outside the ageing corps of self-identified hobbyists. 'Cept they never did, just as they bungled the much cheaper potential cross-promotion with the Realms computer games and never introduced the SWRPG to all the Star Wars fans who read the Insider. And that'll be remembered as far more serious mismanagement than a string of clod-fisted PR.

Edited by - Faraer on 13 Apr 2009 19:20:17
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  19:46:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

Way to go Wizards!

Considering that they pulled all material, I can't see this being their reasoning. If this was their only reason, then older Player's Handbooks, older Dragonlance, older Greyhawk, and older netting-neutral material would have been left alone.

It *might* also be due to their 'setting-per-year'-policy, i.e. that they won't be "competing" against 3E Eberron material this year, 2E Dark Sun material next year, Greyhawk material in 2011, and so on (note: the possible release dates for Dark Sun and Greyhawk are not officially announced yet; this is just speculation).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  21:41:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

It *might* also be due to their 'setting-per-year'-policy, i.e. that they won't be "competing" against 3E Eberron material this year, 2E Dark Sun material next year, Greyhawk material in 2011, and so on (note: the possible release dates for Dark Sun and Greyhawk are not officially announced yet; this is just speculation).

That still doesn't explain why setting-neutral stuff was pulled. Or why there are still 36 FR products on the Wizards downloads page, along with some stuff for other settings.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000