Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Riddles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  18:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is two, there its two riddles in one to find one answer. And yes I thouht that way myself, and the person who posted all those riddles for me to answer dose not know the answer to them either. So Im rather quite lost.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Blacksage
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  20:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Blacksage's Homepage Send Blacksage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One that a genie asks in baldur's gate.
(in the circus in waukeen's premonade)
What was the answer of it?
The prince 30 and the princess 40?

till the daggers part...
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  20:59:25  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you hear there cry
just sail by there
voices lovely as can be
but go unto them and you'll
be lying apond the sea.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  22:02:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... This thread predates my involvement here... And there's a lot of posters here that I've either never seen before, or not seen for a long time!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  23:55:39  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think these are as difficult as others posted here, but I liked them:

Two men are in a prison cell looking out the window. One of the men spots a young man walking down the street outside and says "Brothers and sisters I have none, but that man's father is my father's son." Who is he?

A man is caught poaching in the king's forest and the penalty is death. However, the king is a sporting man and tells hims he can choose how he dies. He MUST make a statement. If the statement is true he will be beheaded. If the statement is false he will be hanged. What does he say so that the king cannot kill him?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  00:15:18  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Answer:sneris

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  00:26:41  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

Answer:sneris

Oh... I get it

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  00:49:53  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chestnut. nothing.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  00:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NightElf

That riddle, the one at the top. Check out Baldur's Gate II...

far before BG2 by the way

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  00:54:10  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

chestnut. nothing.

Scratches head... hunh?

Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  01:06:18  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

Two men are in a prison cell looking out the window. One of the men spots a young man walking down the street outside and says "Brothers and sisters I have none, but that man's father is my father's son." Who is he?

A man is caught poaching in the king's forest and the penalty is death. However, the king is a sporting man and tells hims he can choose how he dies. He MUST make a statement. If the statement is true he will be beheaded. If the statement is false he will be hanged. What does he say so that the king cannot kill him?

1: He's the young man's father.

2: This is a tricky one. Making a statement "I want to die of old age" is only invalid if the king chooses to execute him, so... I'm not sure.

A more annoying riddle:
This was a question posed by the sphinx Enigmeina to my players once a long time ago. They insisted on challenging the sphinx on a duel (even though it was unnecessary for the adventure).
The "riddle:"

"My first is its second, which in turn is my sixth and agrees with its fourth.
While my fourth is its first, its last is mine,
and its sixth tells of my second, which is the same as its fifth - the twin of my eighth.
Its third however, speaks of its true nature, and is the first of what you may become, if you avoid death."

The last riddle was intentionally made a little more difficult, but it fit in the campaign, so they didn't have any trouble figuring it out with all the other clues.

Good luck with your deciphering : )

Edited by - Aewrik on 07 Oct 2007 01:19:46
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  01:31:54  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The word gehenna? (Using the letter in the name Enigmeina)

Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  01:39:33  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems as it should be : )

I have a bed, but do not sleep.
I have a mouth, but do not speak.
What am I?

I heard this about a week ago, but it's probably not new.

Edit: Oh, and what they would eventually become? My players almost got a little too excited when the sphinx said "good luck, future heroes" as her farewell.
They frolicked on that for a few sessions ahead, before the famine struck and they realised they were only heroes in a very specific "area of expertise."

Edit2:
And two (imho) poetic ones I read a few days ago:

"I walk across an open field
Sometimes singing as I go
And when I reach the other side
The field is split in two."

" You cannot see or hear me
Yet many people fear me.
I can kill the strongest lion in its lair
I can thin your flesh and make your bones appear.

Creatures of the God who put me here
May you learn to love each other and to share
What you possess whenever I come near.
Such is my prayer."

Edited by - Aewrik on 07 Oct 2007 01:51:13
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  02:52:36  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aewrik

Seems as it should be : )

I have a bed, but do not sleep.
I have a mouth, but do not speak.
What am I?

I heard this about a week ago, but it's probably not new.

Edit: Oh, and what they would eventually become? My players almost got a little too excited when the sphinx said "good luck, future heroes" as her farewell.
They frolicked on that for a few sessions ahead, before the famine struck and they realised they were only heroes in a very specific "area of expertise."

Edit2:
And two (imho) poetic ones I read a few days ago:

"I walk across an open field
Sometimes singing as I go
And when I reach the other side
The field is split in two."

" You cannot see or hear me
Yet many people fear me.
I can kill the strongest lion in its lair
I can thin your flesh and make your bones appear.

Creatures of the God who put me here
May you learn to love each other and to share
What you possess whenever I come near.
Such is my prayer."

1) A river?
2) ???
3) old age

Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  02:54:24  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The answer forwards:sirens

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  03:43:32  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) When one does not know what it is, then it is something; but when one knows what it is, then it is nothing.

2) Lives without a body, hears without ears, speaks without a mouth, to which the air alone gives birth.

3) What is put on a table, cut, but never eaten?

4)I am the beginning of sorrow, and the end of sickness. You cannot express happiness without me, yet I am in the midst of crosses. I am always in risk, yet never in danger. You may find me in the sun, but I am never out of darkness.

5) What fastens two people yet touches only one?

6)What is it that you will break even when you name it?

7)What goes up the chimney down, but can't go down the chimney up?

8) It's been around for millions of years, but it's no more than a month old. What is it?

9)What is that which goes with a carriage, comes with a carriage, is of no use to a carriage, and yet the carriage cannot go without it?

10) The more you take, the more you leave behind. What are they?

Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  05:04:14  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah.. I must be really tired (it's 5:42 am over here... benkyou o shimasu [doing homework]), but the only I can put my mind around, is question no.2

I'd say the wind. It's very much alive, it speaks without a mouth (listen to the wind, and all) and has its source in air, among other things.
On the other hand, it could be the echo.
Then again, it could be the ghost of Mystra trying to tell us, that while she may be dead, she'll always be around.

Oh, and number ten... perhaps they're memories. I can't see myself really taking memories, but I leave many behind. My own past isn't anything to dwell on. If I did, I'd probably be somewhere else right now. Someplace I'm not entirely sure would be that bad, actually.

I'll try solving those them in the morning, instead.
Better come up with a riddle.

What's white and clean in the morn,
black and blue in the storm,
red and still before the night,
helpless to the windy might?

Well, that's prosaic...
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  05:19:10  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2) is echo

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  01:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aewrik

quote:

1: He's the young man's father.

2: This is a tricky one. Making a statement "I want to die of old age" is only invalid if the king chooses to execute him, so... I'm not sure.

He should say "I will be hanged".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  02:05:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He's dead either way, so he should tell the king where to stick it!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  02:14:47  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually if the king is a man of his word, then Rinonalyrna is correct.

If he says I will be hanged and the king hangs him, then the statement is true so he should be beheaded. If he's beheaded then the statement was false so he should be hanged.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  02:20:27  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1) When one does not know what it is, then it is something; but when one knows what it is, then it is nothing.

A riddle

2) Lives without a body, hears without ears, speaks without a mouth, to which the air alone gives birth.

an echo

3) What is put on a table, cut, but never eaten?

a deck of cards

4)I am the beginning of sorrow, and the end of sickness. You cannot express happiness without me, yet I am in the midst of crosses. I am always in risk, yet never in danger. You may find me in the sun, but I am never out of darkness.

the letter S

5) What fastens two people yet touches only one?

a wedding ring

6)What is it that you will break even when you name it?

silence

7)What goes up the chimney down, but can't go down the chimney up?

an umbrella

8) It's been around for millions of years, but it's no more than a month old. What is it?

the moon

9)What is that which goes with a carriage, comes with a carriage, is of no use to a carriage, and yet the carriage cannot go without it?

noise

10) The more you take, the more you leave behind. What are they?

footsteps

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  02:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually if the king is a man of his word, then Rinonalyrna is correct.

Indeed--we're going on the assumption that the king won't just get POed and change his mind on being outsmarted.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  02:47:59  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The man can tell a lie the king won't know if its true or not therefore saving the mans life.Because the king does not if is a true statement or false.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:07:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unknown warrior

The man can tell a lie the king won't know if its true or not therefore saving the mans life.Because the king does not if is a true statement or false.

What if he has ways of checking up on it, though?

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:26:21  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why try to lie when the statement "I will be hanged" puts the king in a Catch 22 - trapped by his own rules?

Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:26:46  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But its a lie he can't just find out if its true or not.( The lie could be anything).

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:32:08  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get it,it doesn't matter what he say s cause it is not the prisoner that will get killed it is the king him self who will get beheadedor hanged. "He(MUST)" make a statment.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  14:56:32  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how about this one
a box without hinges, key or lid
but inside golden treasure is hid

Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  16:41:40  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eggs.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000