Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sharn Religion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  06:27:15  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A question that I (for whatever reason) never before thought to ask: Who grants the Sharn their divine spells? Has this ever been addressed in canon? Whilst I voraciously devour the gaming material, I don't read many of the novels, so maybe I missed something there.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  12:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that their spells would be granted by one (or perhaps all) of the five deities that were involved in their creation or rather whose worshippers were involved in their creation. I forget the specifics but it's in the novel Blackstaff.

The deities were, I think, Corellon Larethian, Sehanine Moonbow, Mystra, and a couple of others that I've forgotten.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

IronAngel
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  12:46:38  Show Profile  Visit IronAngel's Homepage Send IronAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oghma and Dumathoin are the missing deities on the above list, IIRC.

I thought that only applied to some Sharns, and all of them in history. I haven't read much about them in gaming material, though.

Edited by - IronAngel on 07 Mar 2009 12:47:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  16:33:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's a current DDi article about them by Brian James, but I don't have access to that so I'm not sure which way he went with them.

That being said, I 'think' the Sharns pre-dated those created during the fall of Miyeritar. In fact, all Sharn may be some sort of magical transcendent form that can be obtained through powerful magics.

Ergo, Sharns were not created during the Dark Disaster, but were rather re-created. The ones of Miyeritar were just new editions to a much larger group - a group that itself may not be entirely natural.

Like I said, I have no idea which way Brian went with them, but thats how I see it, and that means that the Sharns could worship all sorts of gods, and not just human and demi-human ones. Nor are they just limited to Toril - other groups of incredibly powerful mages may have used similar magics to achieve that state (the Rain of Colorless Fire in GH comes to mind).

By the the same token, that means their divine spells could be derived from some form of group-cosciousness - that the Sharns share some sort of 'Overmind' that all their power is drawn from.

Just some random thoughts - sorry if I wasn't much help.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2009 16:48:22
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  18:37:27  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't (as I've said elsewhere) read the novels much, so I can only be perplexed as to why the Seldarine/Gods of the Dancing Place would create Chaos-beasties due to a magical holocaust. From a game-rule perspective, that doesn't work, as all Sharns have access to the same domains, which include death, which none of the aforementioned deities grant.
Having said that, I like something of what you said, Markus: The 'Overmind' bit makes as much sense as anything. Or maybe, given the heights of power attainable by the Sharn, several of the Elder Sharn together are capable of granting the race divine magic.
Thanks, all, I was just wondering if there was a canon answer to this.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  18:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate
From a game-rule perspective, that doesn't work, as all Sharns have access to the same domains, which include death, which none of the aforementioned deities grant.

Ah.

Well it depends which edition of the game you're using and which write-up of the Sharn. Sounds like you're using the one from the 3E Monsters of Faerun. The 3.5E version was in Anauroch, The Empire of Shade where it replaces the Sharn's Cleric spellcasting with Favored Soul spellcasting, thus they have access to no Domains.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  19:15:15  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Gang: I've only recently (in the last year and a half) started playing again, so many of my books are, indeed, of the 3e variety. The Favored Soul-ness of Sharns makes perfect sense, and allows for the deities you and Iron Angel mentioned earlier to be the spell-grantors.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  15:03:06  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
personally I prefer the old mysterious sharns, so no overminds or the sharn pools (except the merging of racial arcane traditions) or the Pentad, they are preoccupied with their chaotic, full of intrigue society, otherwise they would rule Toril
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000