Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Richard Lee Byers SS
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  20:37:06  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There's a new RLB short story online call Serpentsong. I haven't read the Undead trilogy yet (or the ss for that matter), so I don't know where it fits into the trilogy timeline. If somebody could let me know for future reference I'd appreciate it. I'm looking forward to it myself.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20090220

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  20:42:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mnb128

There's a new RLB short story online call Serpentsong. I haven't read the Undead trilogy yet (or the ss for that matter), so I don't know where it fits into the trilogy timeline. If somebody could let me know for future reference I'd appreciate it. I'm looking forward to it myself.

It happens before the trilogy, and shows some backstory for a major player in all three novels.

It is also mentioned in Richard's scroll in the chamber of sages.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  20:44:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And having read it and the trilogy, it can be read before, during or after the trilogy and not spoil anything for you.

Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  22:16:09  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

And having read it and the trilogy, it can be read before, during or after the trilogy and not spoil anything for you.

Thanks for the reply. I also noticed that there's a character named Gorstag in the story. I haven't read The Year of Rogue Dragons yet either, but I know there's a Gorstag in there. Same guy? Just curious. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  23:11:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It happens before the trilogy, and shows some backstory for a major player in all three novels.

It is also mentioned in Richard's scroll in the chamber of sages.

Aye. It's best to leave this scroll open for the time being, in case scribes wish to discuss this particular tale.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  00:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the reply. I also noticed that there's a character named Gorstag in the story. I haven't read The Year of Rogue Dragons yet either, but I know there's a Gorstag in there. Same guy? Just curious. Thanks.

I think it's just a common name in the Realms. There's a Gorstag in the campaign I'm in, too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Feb 2009 00:42:04
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  00:47:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't think it is the same Gorstag.....but it has been quite a bit since I read the rogue dragon stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  02:23:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I think it's just a common name in the Realms. There's a Gorstag in the campaign I'm in, too.

Don't forget the proprietor of the Rising Moon in Deepingdale, too. He, too, was named Gorstag -- and since he was in one of the earliest Realms novels, he's likely one of the most well-known ones.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  02:29:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. We know the Gorstag in "Shandril's Saga" is not the same Gorstag featured in The Rage. I seem to recall some confusion over that initially, back in late '04.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  05:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The guy in the short story is a different Gorstag.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  05:25:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Same name different guy.

BRIMMY

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  08:11:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

The guy in the short story is a different Gorstag.

Thank you for clearing that up.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  12:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna have to check out this story at home.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  13:11:19  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thank you all for the clarification on the many Gorstag's of The Realms. I already know the one from The Rising Moon. I'm looking forward to getting to know the other two.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2009 :  13:11:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorstag....Jeff Smith....same diference

I enjoyed the tale, it was interesting to see Baeris before he got so confident in his abilities.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  01:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, now I remember Gorstag of Deepingdale, from one of the first Realms novels I ever read.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  05:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you liked it, Red. I enjoyed providing a look at Bareris at a different point in his development, before his life went to hell.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  05:04:07  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually just recently read the short story in Realms of the Elves by Mr. Byers. I'm aware that gold dragons are supposed to be Lawful Good and all that, but the one presented in this story seemed anything but. There was nothing seemingly Good about him at all. And summoning a demon or devil is an act of Evil, right? And going against one of his loyal sevants and chasing the girl that the main character loved to bed her, that was just underhanded, especially when the dragon admits that the main character's death passed through his mind on the mission given him. Can someone explain this to me, please?

Oh, I went looking for a proper place to add this to, but couldn't find anything. I hope this is all right.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 27 May 2010 05:07:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000