Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 New kind of DMing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  10:21:36  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I had one idea.
In the group, everyone create a lvl1 PC. The DM doesn't prepare anything. He DMs during 15/20 minutes... and eveyone changes their roles. And it continues every 15 minutes.
You can also do that every sessions

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  10:28:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds interesting. But I doubt it would be at all fun for someone really new to the game. Still, it's a way to get used to different classes quickly.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  12:45:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds hauntingly similar (in a way) to Tracy Hickman's 'Killer Breakfast' sessions he holds every year at GenCon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  12:53:00  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard of it. But isn't that just a 'survival rpg'. I thought it was her the DM with a lot of player, and your role was just to survive.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  13:30:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is. However there was a modified version he used last year in the online UnCon on the WotC website.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  15:55:21  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

That sounds interesting. But I doubt it would be at all fun for someone really new to the game. Still, it's a way to get used to different classes quickly.

That's right but it could be a good way to initiate DMs.
Of course all the players should now the rules well enough to be DM
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  16:08:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I was surprised by a recent survey over at En World that asked how many players would wish to be DM's at some point in their gaming careers. It seems that DMing still frightens a lot of players because of the 10000 average players who polled, only 1543 selected that they would like to try their hand at DMing. When asked why most of the players chose 'no', the answer most of them gave was that they thought a DM has less fun than a players.

Thoughts?.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  18:27:35  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends mostly on your idea of fun. A lot of players when they think of becoming DM's are suddenly reminded of all the horrible things they put their dm through...

Plus I think the biggest difference in players and DM's, is that one knows generally how the story is (supposed) to turn out.
Then There's the fact that a lot of people don't consider it fun to try to come up with stories for their friends to play through, or that it's too time consuming.
Hmmm, think that's everything. Oh wait, no one really likes dm's do they?

Mal

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  19:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, GMing is definitely more work than just being a player. You can't just show up with your character sheet, pencil and dice ready to play.
To some, that could equate to less fun.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  21:15:06  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree that DMing is very time consuming, and can also be quite frustrating if your players don't take the game as seriously as you do, however I also find it quite rewarding at points. The DM also has the advantage of choosing and detailing the campaign world, which allows him/her to model it on whatever particularly interests them.

When I first started playing D&D my group played in a manner very close to zemd's original idea; each person in the group DMed one session before the next took over. The main problem with it, though, was that some of the players started Dming to their characters' advantages (i.e. one player decided that the dungeon which the characters were exploring contained documents incriminating his main political rival of various crimes); eventually I left and formed a better group. With more experienced and mature players, though, it could make for an interesting campaign.

'The sinews of war, unlimited money'
- Cicero
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  04:04:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always prefered the role of DM to that of a PC. As a PC there is only so much of your creative skills that you can use to develop your character. As a DM you have the whole world to shape and bring to life through your ideas and creativity. These are some of the aspects of gaming that I enjoy above most others.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  06:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I could make for a very good DM, at least when trying to anticipate all the things the players would do. When it comes to stories -- and I think of DMing as like writing a story -- I often get tunnel vision. I don't think I could react fast enough when the players take a turn on the road that I didn't think of.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  08:02:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can understand that Bookwyrm. But it is really just a case of anticipating the direction a campaign is going to the best of your ability and experience. I use a lot of time in between games to plan potential alternate directions that I think my players may choose in regards to different encounters I set before them, other times, I just wing-it.

Anyway that's part of the fun in being a DM, learning new and interesting directions to create, and building on something which may only occur to you once the game has started.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000