Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 "Those Who Honor, Duty and Magic Define": A Story
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  21:55:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
-The story can be viewed here. Critique for anything is welcome. (Note, I had no one to read this back to me, and/or edit it, so...)

"Those Who Honor, Duty and Magic Define": A Story of the Crown Wars

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 13 Jan 2009 21:56:45

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  22:25:11  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm typing this out as I go along, so it might seem a bit scattered.

There's a lot of... well, showy speech. Specifically, the phrases Osu'Tan and its derivatives. I'm taking it that means something like uncle, or some other honorific. Is it necessary? I mean, I'm buying that elves speak in elvish to one another when they're alone, but this sounds like a smattering of common and elvish.

Also, there's a lot of technical speech, as well, which creeps into any story written in a game setting. The first sentence in the -10,003 DR section is rather awkward, due to both the tech talk and the length. The lines farther down about the abilities a paladin gains seems unnecessary, since you mentioned just above that Aldramar had become "a holy warrior much akin to a Paladin."

At times, you have dialogue spoken by different characters in the same paragraph. It's not often, although at this point I'm up to the fight, and dialogue has been secondary thus far. I can't really tell if you've got a grasp on the mechanics of it or not.

The fight is pretty will written, although I've mostly skimmed it (really long descriptions of fights sort of bore me, nothing personal). Again, I'm having the problem of rather long sentences, when action scenes ought to feel quick, almost staccato.

I'm down to the storytelling sequence now, and this is more of a personal peeve than anything else, especially since these are elves. You're sort of naming backdrop characters, which wouldn't be a huge deal if their names weren't a little on the awkward side. Now, if you're planning a sequel to this work and they're important, that's one thing. Otherwise, I'm just seeing a lot of apostrophes and joined vowels and four+ syllable surnames.

And... well, when I critique written works, I generally stick to criticism. Everything I could see worth pointing out was grammatical or habitual. Mainly, a lot of sentences were too long, and there was that dialect thing I mentioned first. It was a nice read and offered some insight into the struggles between families in the Crown Wars.

Thanks for writing it.

All the best

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  12:44:07  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm delighted to see you can write without using
- this
- silly
- affectation.

I think "whom" should be used instead of "who" in the title. Remember also that "it's" is "it is"; the possessive form of "it" is "its" without the apostrophe. I think you would be safe using "replace all" in your document as I don't recall a single instance of it being used correctly. The capitalisation of race names is also an annoying affectation that I would drop: "elf" is fine; "Elf" is not (ditto for "Bladesinger").

Would Corellon's intervention result in a rosy glow? Blue or silver would be more appropriate colours; check the first web enhancement for Faiths & Pantheons for other ideas.

Why "Mr Daerian"? The use of "Mr" seems out of place both as a modern construction and rather non-elven, IMO.

All that said, it was an interesting read.

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  15:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read it all yet, but, with regards to the last paragraph...

"as young children are wont to do"...

"Daerian's hand brushed gently against the steel pommel"...

I do agree that "elf" should not be capitalized.

Hmmm, I'll print this out and read it all through later. I love the "About the author" section.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 14 Jan 2009 15:04:13
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  16:54:47  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It ruins the story if you read ahead.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  22:34:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
very well written

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  06:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, first off dialogue gets a new paragraph when the speaker changes. It gets messy otherwise and makes it more difficult for the reader to get through the piece.

I am going to ignore most of the fight scene as irrelevant and on grounds that doing a blow by blow shred of it would take a while. Besides, since there is no dialogue through most of it and very little detailed of the characters' mindsets through that section I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything narratively important.

For the two parts taking place during the Crown wars, I thought that I just had read the very beginning and the very end of a long drawn out drama that I would have liked to have gotten more of. It felt like I'd just been handed two slices of dry toast and I was looking around for something to put between them so I could have a nice full sandwich. Really, the change in Pharom's view of his nephew is so extreme that the only way to make sense of it is to have prior knowledge of the Crown Wars. Generally speaking, that isn't mark of good writing to have character motive so thoroughly reliant upon events. I mean come on. An about face in how one views one's kin should have more, much more to it than "oh the Descent happened."

While I'm still grousing on the subject, it seemed like it would have made more sense for Pharom to be Miyeritari rather than Illythiiri, but I suppose either one is possible. I just thought that one seemed more likely than the other.

Now on to the ending... what can I say that doesn't give things away too much? It looks like you plan on continuing this in some way. It did seem odd to see an elf addressed as "mister" when "elder" seemed like it should have sufficed. It also seemed a little odd to not introduce so obvious a framing device from the beginning and rather save it entirely for the end and lose the opportunity to give this reader a better idea of who the important players in this piece were.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  16:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It ruins the story if you read ahead.

Actually, for me it didn't--at the time, I just skimmed the story and found a few mistakes.

As of now, I've not only read a hard copy of the story, but I've also marked it up with corrections as well as suggestions. I'm going to give it to Dagnirion at the end of the week.

quote:
All right, first off dialogue gets a new paragraph when the speaker changes. It gets messy otherwise and makes it more difficult for the reader to get through the piece.

You're right, Lady Fellshot--I completely forgot about that last night (must have been tired).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Jan 2009 16:48:26
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  17:54:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Bishop

- this
- silly
- affectation.

-I'll make sure to utilize extra dashes, just for you, regardless of the fact that in MS Word, I can include indentations.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  17:56:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

An about face in how one views one's kin should have more, much more to it than "oh the Descent happened."

-Of course, the Descent of the Drow hadn't happened yet. But, I'm sure you already knew that.

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

While I'm still grousing on the subject, it seemed like it would have made more sense for Pharom to be Miyeritari rather than Illythiiri, but I suppose either one is possible. I just thought that one seemed more likely than the other.

-Of course, Miyeritar didn't exist any more.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 15 Jan 2009 19:48:52
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  01:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Of course, the Descent of the Drow hadn't happened yet. But, I'm sure you already knew that.

I'm very sure I don't need to tell you that Illythiir was already heading in a downward spiral of depravity well before the official mass Descent. Going from the descriptions in your piece, I'd say that Pharom was well into his own personal "descent."

My comment about a substantial lack of personal motive for both Pharom and Aldramar still stands. There's a whole middle section where they go from caring relations to hated enemies that is not explained in any way, shape or form.

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Of course, Miyeritar didn't exist any more.

Miyeritar as a country did not exist anymore. There were surviving elves though and I do not think it likely that a mere half century or so would result in a complete cultural absorbtion into Illythiir. Also, unless I misremember, Miyeritar was geographically closer to Illefarn than Illythiir was. It seemed more plausible to me to have a Miyeritari refugee uncle than a Illythiiri one.
Go to Top of Page

ithildur
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  03:38:20  Show Profile  Visit ithildur's Homepage Send ithildur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

- this
- silly
- affectation.

I think "whom" should be used instead of "who" in the title. Remember also that "it's" is "it is"; the possessive form of "it" is "its" without the apostrophe. I think you would be safe using "replace all" in your document as I don't recall a single instance of it being used correctly. The capitalisation of race names is also an annoying affectation that I would drop: "elf" is fine; "Elf" is not (ditto for "Bladesinger").

Would Corellon's intervention result in a rosy glow? Blue or silver would be more appropriate colours; check the first web enhancement for Faiths & Pantheons for other ideas.

Why "Mr Daerian"? The use of "Mr" seems out of place both as a modern construction and rather non-elven, IMO.

All that said, it was an interesting read.

It's definitely 'Whom', not 'Who' that's correct for the title. Not a good start when the title of the piece is grammaticly awkward..

I'd echo most of the other points above, as well as those offered by others. I lost interest in this frankly after the first page; there might be a good story in there somewhere but the poor grammar and style (lots of irritating affectations besides the one described above) put me off enough that I'd rather wait until a revised version is offered.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  04:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

- this
- silly
- affectation.

Do you mean the hypen or the casual indent?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  17:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean the hyphen/dash/whatever it's called. It seems a particularly bizarre way to start every paragraph.

Looking back on the other feedback we gave I'm surprised the OP didn't try at least a modest rewrite to get rid of the most annoying affectations and errors.

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  21:02:41  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The file is no longer available for download!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  21:19:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the hosting site is going through some changes. You can check with him on the Wizards board (since he doesn't visit here much anymore), just look up Lord Karsus in the Forgotten Realms boards.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  21:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story is also available here :
http://lord-karsus.deviantart.com/art/A-Story-of-the-Crown-Wars-110323526

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  04:21:27  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Ashe and Fillow. I'll check it out post haste.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  21:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome David.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000