Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Two questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  15:29:24  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I checked the Roll of years in the FRCS and found that the the roll of years does not give a name for the particular years that I need them for, which are -28, -27, -25, and -23.

Is this information listed somewhere on the site or is it possible that someone might be able to provide me with the information.

I did do a search for the information on the site but only came up with refrences to the roll of years. There were some refrences to different dates, but most were to dates that I already have names for.

Also, since parts of Toril are as of yet still uncharted, would it be possible to say that the Mystara setting could be located somewhere on Toril? and if so would their calander be around the same year as the Dale Reckoning calender? or would it be more advanced or would it be behind?

Thanks for the help
BDK

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  15:48:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year of the Laconic Prince -28
Year of the Masquerade -27
Year of Lost Librams -25
Year of the Commander's Tent -23

We also have, available for download, various formats for the Roll of Years. It's also included in the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool.

I'm working on an HTML version, to be posted here. It's actually already formatted and all, but there are some bits of oddness (misspellings, duped named, et cetera) that I'm working to clean up, first.

As for Mystara, it is its own world. It's not on Toril (where the Realms are), and I don't know of any direct connections betwixt the two.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  15:53:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think one problem you might run into with porting Mystara into the Realms is that Mystara has mapped out a pretty good chunk of the world, including their own "Underdark" which is quite a bit different than the Realms Underdark. Nothing stopping you from taking chunks out of Mystara, but I think there might be problems with porting the whole setting into the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  16:17:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As for Mystara, it is its own world. It's not on Toril (where the Realms are), and I don't know of any direct connections betwixt the two.

-The closest thing I can think of as a connection between the two would be the existence of Aranea. In Mystara, the Aranea are fairly influential and powerful in a specific magocratic state, if I remember correctly. When the Aranea of the Forgotten Realms were created, their Calashite creator could have been basing his off of the Aranea of Mystara. Other than that, though...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  05:57:18  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then perhaps I should clarify my original post a bit.

The reason for my needing the names for the years I originally asked for was just for the backstory for each of my four characters.

When I asked if the Mystara setting could possibly have been located somewhere on Toril, possibly in a location that was still uncharted, is because of part of the backstory for these four characters

The reason I asked about the Mystaran calander and if it was around the same as the Dalereckoning Calender, is that if they were around the same year then I would have to make some changes in my campaign to allow for their great age(my oldest character is 1400 years old), most specifically advancing the year from where we are now which is 1372.

If not then I will have to rework part of the backstory to account for how they showed up here in the Forgotten Realms which will not be too hard for me to do.

But I do appreciate all of the help that you guys/gals give me.
BDK

Edited by - BlackDragonKarameikos on 29 Dec 2008 06:00:01
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  07:04:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first party I ever DMed for long term started out as a BECMI D&D group in Mystara that eventually found a portal to a home brew world I created, who then found another portal to the Realms when that campaign setting came out. Given that the Realms has a huge history of portals opening onto various worlds, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to have them find one of these portals between the worlds in order for them to enter Toril.
Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  15:56:01  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The first party I ever DMed for long term started out as a BECMI D&D group in Mystara that eventually found a portal to a home brew world I created, who then found another portal to the Realms when that campaign setting came out. Given that the Realms has a huge history of portals opening onto various worlds, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to have them find one of these portals between the worlds in order for them to enter Toril.

That is probably how I am going to explain how they showed up here in Toril, each was on an adventure and were brought to Toril via a different portal.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  19:35:57  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we started in the Five Shires, it's one of the first old books we bought, later it became Lurien
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  22:15:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although none of my groups ever got that far, I have Oerik (main GH continent) where Anchorome is, and Mystara's major campaign area (those regions covered by the Gazeteers) inverted and lying to the far south. I had to flip it so that the various campaign areas (from the three settings) faced each other, but it works for me.

And I've been playing with the idea of swapping-out Katashaka for Xendrik.

Not that I think any group of PCs I run will ever make it that far... but I'll know its there.

I started to do a map of how I imagined it long ago, but didn't get very far at all, sadly.

Hmmmm... maybe Ansalon or Taladas for Osse....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jan 2009 22:19:09
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  22:17:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

we started in the Five Shires, it's one of the first old books we bought, later it became Lurien

Considering who wrote the Five Shires, that kind of makes sense . . .
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  15:39:29  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Although none of my groups ever got that far, I have Oerik (main GH continent) where Anchorome is, and Mystara's major campaign area (those regions covered by the Gazeteers) inverted and lying to the far south. I had to flip it so that the various campaign areas (from the three settings) faced each other, but it works for me

Hmmmm... maybe Ansalon or Taladas for Osse....

tough I don't know much about Oerik, I wouldn't include it beside Faerun, cause both places are classic fantasy, I like for other continents to be all exotic in contrast to Faerun

So Taladas would be a better choice than Ansalon, but still not exotic enough. I never did any adventures in Osse, I would like it to be scarcely populated and with lots of planar manifest zones of Dreamscape.

Of the Mystaran books, beside the shires, I like shadowelves (not their appearance tough), and some monsters and the spheres, Glantri is nice, I don't know where to place it.

quote:
And I've been playing with the idea of swapping-out Katashaka for Xendrik.

I used all those drow cultures from Xendrik in southern Katashaka, after seeing the Umbragen article in Dragon, but in a different environment, don't like Xendrik overall.

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Considering who wrote the Five Shires, that kind of makes sense . . .

initially I thought it goes together with Dwarves Deep, but it's not that the group I got it from fooled me, it's easily adjustable

Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  19:21:46  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I as well have though about using the Gazetters in the past for the Forgotten Realms, as the original Gazetters were pretty much setting neutral.

Not until 2nd Ed. did the Gazetters become the Mystara setting and become a ture setting in and of itself. Although I like the Gazetters much more, they go into more detail than the campaign setting does.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000