Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Two short stories.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spoon
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  12:58:14  Show Profile Send Spoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello.

A few years ago, I read two incredible FR short stories in an anthology that I seem to have lost. What I am after is the names of them, if anyone knows.

The first one was about a Netheril Mage who was tying to save his love. If I recall correctly, it involved a dragon and him going to join her in death at the end. I also recall her being distressed at how dark the world was compared to where she was on the other side.

The second one was about a judge, a trial, some elemental (I think) witnesses. Perhaps his son was on trial? At the end, I believe he let his ceremonial mask fall to the floor and shatter.

The descriptions that I have given are vague, as they are only at the back of my memory and a little hazy, but I am sure that someone here will know what ones I am referring to.

Many thanks.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  13:40:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possibly Realms of Magic? It's been a while since I've read it, so if anyone could confirm/deny...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  16:20:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The second tale is "Trial By Ordeal". It's by Lisa Smedman, and appears in Realms of Shadow.

I don't recall the first one, of the top of my head.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  16:35:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The second one is definitely from Realms of Shadow. Because the first one deals with Netheril, though I don't recall the story, there is a decent chance it also is in Realms of Shadow.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  18:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember both of them being in Realms of Shadow.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Spoon
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  22:14:06  Show Profile Send Spoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes! I do recall it being in Realms of Shadow. I was laying in bed last night and that name was rolling around my mind, but I thought it was just a normal novel name.

I think I have it on my bookshelf!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000