Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What version of AD&D do you (primarily) play
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  21:19:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well if you looked at my post you would see a link to a post, with a link to the download. If people really wanna know, you gotta make'em work for it!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  04:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the info guys. I will definitely have to read up on it now.
I've never been a fan of 3E, but I have to admit that the whole concept of Paizo taking over 3.5 and doing what the fans want, is as the Guinness commercial says, 'Brilliant!' Having a large part of their fan base switch to another company who actually listens to their fanbase is probably driving the people at WotC insane. I knew that OGL would come back and bite them in the a$$ one day. All to the community's benefit as well. Gods, I LOVES me some poetic justice!!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  13:18:14  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted 3.5
Well, actually it is a mix of 2Ed (mainly the "spirit" of it) with 3.5 rules, classes, home-brewed PrC and am now adopting some Pathfinder updated 3.5 rules as well A kind of 3.75 Ed if you like
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  17:34:14  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play both 3E and 4E regularly (alternating weekly games).
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  19:38:39  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually play 3 or 3.5, but I would definitely play 2nd if I could actually get a group together. I only know 1 person outside of my family who is the least bt familiar with 2nd edition.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  22:01:38  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 and pathfinder mixed

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  02:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mainly a computer gamer here. My experience with the Baldur's Gate series versus Neverwinter Nights series has left me a far greater fan of 2nd ed. AD&D. I like all of 2nd editons source books better. All in all, I much prefer the whole feel of 2nd edition AD&D, at least for the Forgotten Realms (the only D&D setting I know).

For the Play-by-Post gaming I've done, the ruleset hasn't mattered much either way. The emphasis has been mostly on story and character anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  15:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cranking up a 3.5 ed campaign now, but I would go back to first ed in a heartbeat if I had the books. Real Bards, and 30d6 fireballs...

Ionik Knight

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  04:14:15  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted 4th Ed only for the fact it seems no one plays 3.Xe or 2nd anymore where I'm at. I still use previous edition supplements when I'm DMing the Realms. Aside from that just weathering the storm until 5th.

~Ghost King~
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  02:52:19  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st Edition AD&D, but I keep buying the darn product to keep current with the setting, not the rules They lost me a bit with the Fallen God thingy to get to second edition, and more so with this latest update. These new editions seem like a contrived way of getting me to buy the same old pokeman card again and again. How many times do you need Charzard updated anyway?

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 22 Dec 2008 02:53:27
Go to Top of Page

Eryops
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  07:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Eryops's Homepage Send Eryops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently playing 4e. It's very much a 'trial period' for my group, and for as long as it took me to get used to the game, I'm starting to hear grumblings around the table leading me to believe that we won't stick with it. I'm not sure where we'll go, but I am a subscriber to Pathfinder, so I could mention that...

So in an attempt at brevity, 4e for now, switching back to 3.X in the future (although I'd love to get some C&C action going!)
Go to Top of Page

Eryops
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  07:26:50  Show Profile  Visit Eryops's Homepage Send Eryops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

I knew that OGL would come back and bite them in the a$$ one day. All to the community's benefit as well. Gods, I LOVES me some poetic justice!!

In fairness, Paizo would have gone 4e if Hasbro's legal team (I think this was out of WotC's hands) had done a half decent job with the 4e GSL. They fumbled out of the blocks and never still haven't recovered. Even with the cancellation of Dungeon and Dragon, I believe that Paizo would have gone forth with the switch if the GSL was as friendly as the 3.0 OGL was.

Coupling the loss of magazines with the [pick-your-expletives] mess of an OGL (and that it was soooo late to boot!) prompted Paizo to forge out on their own... and I for one am glad they did!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  17:51:47  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually play 3rd edition.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  19:27:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine.

Which is always the most current addition - up 'till now - greatly modified to suit my style.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

maglaurus
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  03:14:25  Show Profile  Visit maglaurus's Homepage Send maglaurus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 Edition

I don't know when it happened, but recently I decided I was too old to change.
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  07:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5, here. Simply put, it allows the most customization and widest array of options for both players and GMs. As long as you limit the available books from which players draw classes, spells, items, and the like (personally, I limit them to FR material, the core rulebooks, the Epic Level Handbook (with errata for 3.5), and the first book for each class archetype in the "Complete ________" series), you can also largely avoid power creep and limit abusive class/race combinations.

If I was to choose anything else, I'd have to go with 2nd Ed, but with the Player's Option series of rules expansions. While not as customizable as 3.5, they still had that undeniable "2nd Edition feel" to them that has been so notably lacking in much of the Realms material since (with Lost Empires of Faerun and GHotR as notable exceptions).

"I am convinced that one of these days I will be able to run a regular game that doesn't fall apart due to scheduling conflicts. I am also convinced that, on this day, hell will freeze over."
Go to Top of Page

Baldwin Stonewood
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  19:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Baldwin Stonewood's Homepage Send Baldwin Stonewood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a player 3.5 twice a month and I run a twice a month pathfinder game.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  21:23:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2ed. if I use a D&D system at all. Generally I use the old Swedish Drakar och Demoner (based on Perrins basic role-playing system)system, as this fits better with my DM'ing style and most players wishes. Those books are getting to be in a sad state after almost twenty years of use.
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  00:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i played from 2ed to 3.5, not going to play 4ed for while I want to get a pathfinder group on near where i live first.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  23:18:45  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Castles and Crusades. It's pretty close to 1e and 2e but has some of the better ideas from 3e added in. The system grabbed me so much it's the only one I use these days.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  23:26:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julian Grimm

I use Castles and Crusades. It's pretty close to 1e and 2e but has some of the better ideas from 3e added in. The system grabbed me so much it's the only one I use these days.

-I have heard alot of good things about C&C. I may have to check it out.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 17 Feb 2009 23:27:10
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  01:57:18  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm all for three and a half. We tried a fourth edition game. Most of the group liked it; I even found some things to like. Unfortunately, I'm too much a fan of skill points.

Incidentally, we've also started a D20 Modern survival horror campaign.

Which. Is. Incredible.

I keep finding myself pondering strategies to fight zombies, such as corralling and confusing. The group is already starting to go from being a few criminals, a firefighter, and a struggling writer, to a paramilitary zombie-killing squad.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  04:09:45  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by Julian Grimm

-I have heard alot of good things about C&C. I may have to check it out.

BRIMSTONE

If you do and you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Edited by - Julian Grimm on 18 Feb 2009 04:10:35
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  04:20:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Paramilitary Zombie-Killing Squad sounds like fun.

-I will keep that in mind Julian Grimm.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  01:12:46  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is fun. We've come up with code names to designate different kinds of zombies (shamblers, runners, and hulks so far), and we're in the process of determining how they track prey.

I think it's got something to do with a combination of thermal vision and focused hearing (hearing respiration or the heart beat, for instance), so we're also looking into how to hide from them.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  04:25:06  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are large populations of gamers around me with two brick and mortar stores in driving distance.

I have found (fortunately) that it is easier to find a game of 3rd edition D&D than $e D&D. The response around here (north new jersey) has been pretty dire towards 4th edition even amongst gamers in the 18-22 year old range which makes me happy.

I have very little to say positively about $E.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Raith
Seeker

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  04:56:50  Show Profile  Visit Raith's Homepage Send Raith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted 3.5, though I use the 3.0 version of Heal and Harm.

Never really played 1 or 2, and since I canceled my WoW account I haven't been playing 4e at all lately.

"Power and dominion are taken by the Will. By divine right Hail and Kill!"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  07:04:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Raith

and since I canceled my WoW account I haven't been playing 4e at all lately.

Heh, I made a similar joke yesterday, while playing Lord of the Rings Online. A guy and I were discussing versions of D&D, and he said he'd not tried 4E. I told him that it was what we were playing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  07:36:52  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Heh, I made a similar joke yesterday, while playing Lord of the Rings Online. A guy and I were discussing versions of D&D, and he said he'd not tried 4E. I told him that it was what we were playing.

It's so ironic that that was pretty much the same thing said about 3e by the old timers when it came out. Not that I'm buying into 4e, but it's still funny.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  07:50:39  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted 3.5E as well, though I really miss 2nd Edition too. All the good times, and it was where I learned all about D&D and the Forgotten Realms. Plus, the bladesinger kit was just... incredible!! My players are all about skill points, feats, and PrCs, which is fine. But I'd really love to start up my old Fall of Myth Drannor campaign again from 2nd Edition.

As far as companies are concerned though, I miss TSR, LOL. Gamers running a company. It must have been fun. Especially after reading the book that came along with the Silver Box Anniversary set.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 21 Feb 2009 07:51:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000