Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 [3.5] Ability scores for new PCs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zarro
Acolyte

Italy
12 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  21:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Zarro's Homepage Send Zarro a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello All.

I'm going to mastering the "Cormyr: The Tearing of the Wave" campaign.

There will be 4 or 5 PCs. I would like to use the "point buy system" method presented in the DM's Guide to create the characters, but I haven't yet decided how much points every player can spend to buy his ability scores.

Considering this campaign difficulty, do you have any suggestion?

Thx,
Zarro.

Zarro™

Edited by - Zarro on 27 Nov 2008 21:22:21

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  22:53:10  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I would go for 30 points, for several reasons:
1. The campaign has a certain limited time, so the characters dont really have time to create magic items (stat boosting items are important).
2. It is generally a good idea to keep the number of magic items low IMO (less magic = PCs at lower power = easier to balance classes), so some good stats give a different way of boosting a character.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

wannabesuperman
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  02:52:55  Show Profile  Visit wannabesuperman's Homepage Send wannabesuperman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing that you're gonna start at 4th level, so my suggestions are based on that.

If you have more than two mages, you're gonna be in trouble, and you'll need to let them build stronger PCs. If your Cleric is planning on spending much time in melee, then his Stat spread is gonna be thin, and you'll probably need some backup healing (Paladin/Bard?).

I suggest you advise the players to cover all their bases and not have more than two PCs share the same main stats. Because of this, I would go with as high starting scores as you feel comfortable with. 30-point buy is the least I would allow, and I wouldn't shy away from 36-points.

As a side note to this, if you think the PCs will be consistently short on magic items or healing, you may want to let them each gain extra feats. Many of the good magic items mimic feats anyway, so this can be considered a wash.

"What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way?" --Clark Kent, Daily Planet. January 2001
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  03:19:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having run the adventure, I agree, the 30+ point buy is good. Make sure they balance out the party as well. You really need it, IMO.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  18:57:45  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm running it for my players... halfway through it so far.

Use a 32-pt buy if you use the RPGA standard;
Use a 25-pt buy if you use the Pathfinder RPG rules.

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Zarro
Acolyte

Italy
12 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  19:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Zarro's Homepage Send Zarro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First many thanks to all.

Then I think I will consider the 32 points a good idea for the PCs creation if the party will be of 4. If they will be in 5, I will assign 30 points each.

Now let's speak with them regarding the race, the class and the background.

Zarro™
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000