Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Racial mix in major cities?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wannabesuperman
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  19:56:34  Show Profile  Visit wannabesuperman's Homepage Send wannabesuperman a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In 3e, the FRCS listed percentage values representing the number of each race found in a particular city. However, I don't see that in 4e.

So, can anyone suggest some possibilities for major cities like Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate and Suzail?

Will the Drow actually make the list now? What about Tieflings?

For example, the entries for Cormyr specifically state that the area is dominated by Humans, with considerable numbers of Elves and Half-Elves. It also says that adventurers from the world over are welcomed into the metropolis.

After 3 generations, have the less-desirable races made significant gains in these cosmopolitan areas?

"What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way?" --Clark Kent, Daily Planet. January 2001

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  22:57:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overall, I think it would be difficult to assign particular racial mix values to the major populations centres of the Realms in the post-Spellplague period. We simply don't have enough information on the population make-up of each respective location to accurately determine such values. Plus, I'd imagine both the societal and cultural, and even the economic, impact of the Spellplague radically altered some of the racial populations in certain cities. So even using the values in the 3e FRCS as a starting point, would likely prove to be somewhat problematic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

wannabesuperman
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  08:56:00  Show Profile  Visit wannabesuperman's Homepage Send wannabesuperman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see any reasonable course other than relying on the numbers from the 3e FRCS. Any other suggestions?

"What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way?" --Clark Kent, Daily Planet. January 2001
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  12:44:15  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wannabesuperman

I don't see any reasonable course other than relying on the numbers from the 3e FRCS. Any other suggestions?

The FRCG does indicate on several of the major cities, whether or not they grew or shrank population-wise. I don't see why you could not use an approximate racial mix, based on the 3E numbers.

The Turmish city of Alaghon is a good example here. the 3E population was 1.7 m until the port dried up after the spellplague, with a racial mix of 78% human, 9% Dwarves, 5% Halflings, 3% Elves, 2% Gnomes, 1% 1.2 elves, and 1% 1.2 orcs. It now has a population of 75,000.

Big drop, but unless there was a specific reason a certain race would leave more than another, the racial mix should still be reasonably expected to be the same. I would think Tieflings and Dragonborn would be in the same percentage bracket as 1/2 orcs for the most part, unless the 4E entry indicates a larger population of those races.

Edited by - scererar on 25 Nov 2008 12:48:37
Go to Top of Page

wannabesuperman
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  20:50:55  Show Profile  Visit wannabesuperman's Homepage Send wannabesuperman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going with it. Thanks for the input.

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  15:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar
The FRCG does indicate on several of the major cities, whether or not they grew or shrank population-wise. I don't see why you could not use an approximate racial mix, based on the 3E numbers.

The Turmish city of Alaghon is a good example here. the 3E population was 1.7 m until the port dried up after the spellplague, with a racial mix of 78% human, 9% Dwarves, 5% Halflings, 3% Elves, 2% Gnomes, 1% 1.2 elves, and 1% 1.2 orcs. It now has a population of 75,000.

Big drop, but unless there was a specific reason a certain race would leave more than another, the racial mix should still be reasonably expected to be the same. I would think Tieflings and Dragonborn would be in the same percentage bracket as 1/2 orcs for the most part, unless the 4E entry indicates a larger population of those races.

The 1.7 million was the total population for Turmish and not Alaghon itself. Also the racial mix is for the whole country and not really the city (some races might prefer living outside of cities, thus the ratios probably are different). Alaghon had a population of 88.704 according to the FRCS.

Nevertheless the total figure of 1.7 million doesnt really make sense IMO if the biggest city is 88k and there are only about 3-4 others of half that size ... unless the countryside is covered with a small cottages every 3 hours traveling. Larger settlements *should* have been marked on the map, but they arent ... so IMO the total figure is off by a lot. In a country without many rivers that seems highly unlikely. If the whole country really had 1 million and more farmers there would be a MUCH higher need for metal tools for that trade and there should be many more towns and cities than are marked on the map.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Edited by - Pandora on 27 Nov 2008 15:52:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000