Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Sword Never Sleeps - Prologue & Chapters 1 - 8
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  12:41:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Sword Never Sleeps (Book 3 of The Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy), by Ed Greenwood. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 8 herein.

The Hooded One will be here to pass on any questions to Ed and provide responses to comments.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Aug 2010 05:43:40

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  15:57:07  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say I LOVED the opening scenes where everyone has their conference with Vangerdahast before departing Suzail. Superbly written, has me eager for the rest of the story . . .
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  13:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in Chapter 4 now and I have to echo the sentiments of others, the fencing of Vangey and Alusair is, as always, extremely enjoyable and masterfully written. Less than 100 pages in and this book is already worth the hole I wore in the carpet waiting for the postman to arrive with it.

But with two spectres and whatever the hargaunt is floating around, half the dramatic cast aren't even of the same mortal status as the rest. Quite, delightfully surreal.

More later.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  17:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The time line of the book so far is extremely condensed. Nine chapters into it, less than a day seems to have passed for Alusair, who is fencing with Vangey, and Old Ghost and Haraundoon, who are busy brain hopping. These however are in the recent past, while the Knights, who are presumably in the present, have moved only a couple of hundred yards and only about twenty minutes have passed for them. I´m enjoying every moment, though.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  18:09:42  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having recently posted on the subject of my abiding interesting in the Dragon Queen... who turns up right after that moment in C8? Colour me a happy monkey.

The timeline is quite condensed, there is certainly a feeling of being drawn on at an almost break-neck pace. And already there are more than a few story threads being woven.

El and Khelben growling at each other? (Well, Khelben doing the growling) Wonderful. Vangey & Laspeera? Azoun & Filfaeril? The Knights vs. Dauntless? More of the same!

Now for chapters 9+.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  16:10:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wheeeewww!!!!

Stlarn it Ed, let me catch my breath! Not to mention my wits. As soon as I get done I am going to start right back at the beginning of the series and try to catch all the subtlties I missed.

In all seriouness this series is what the realms is and always be to me. I love all the sideplots, intrigues and skulking behind Tapestries. (There must be more tapestry/square foot in that castle than anywhere else in Faerun.) Mostly I love the speech, the way the characters talk. The slang and the more formal speech, its all wonderful to read. Ed's dialogues just epitomize how I envision people in the realms to talk and intereact.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  17:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, haven't been here in a while.

I just started reading this novel, and I'm enjoying it already. At the point where I left off, the knights are in very bad shape, and I can't wait to find out how they get out of this particular tough spot...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000