Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Double posting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  23:37:14  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm glad someone mentioned it.

Sage of Perth in response to a comment in the "To cannonize or not to Cannonize (Poll)" in Sages of Realmslore about Sage's double posting:
quote:
I haven't seen anyone else use this avatar here in the regular forums yet.

It is irrelevant whether or not anyone else usess your avatar of choice.
quote:
Besides, sometimes I am still thinking about what I posted earlier, and then I decide to add a few extra points. You can hardly criticize me for that.

Yes we can. Why don't you just do what everyone else (more or less) does in situations like that: edit your last post? You know, there are forums where you can't follow up your own post. Perhaps the admins here could implement that feature.

And what's up with this:

Sage of Perth:
quote:
You really shouldn't criticise though, since a number of other scribes here at Candlekeep make use of your avatar as well.

That person doesn't double-post, so what is the point of you comment?

I for one am so tired of the Sage/Bookwyrm two-step. That's one reason I don't spend as much time here or post as much as I used to. Almost every time I come here, the last 5 or 6 posts in almost every forum (today was a blessed relief!) are from you two. It wouldn't be so bad if you were at least on-topic, but you're usually just rambling about your classes or something else totally off-topic.

And then you both have the nerve to criticize others for doing what you yourselves do.

To quote an unnamed Senior Sage from here:
quote:
And by the way, I was initially irritated, scanning the topic since my last visit, that you made three posts in a row. As I metioned elsewhere, it's one of my pet peeves

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 19 Jul 2003 23:58:49

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  04:26:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly, I feel it only prudent to point out, that humans are creatures of habit. Taking that into consideration and with regards to double-posting, it is simply a habit which I have been trying to purge from my visits here at Candlekeep. I am well aware of the 'edit' post function and will in future make more use of it.

Anyway it has not been something I do all the time, and then (if you had made the attempt to do actually read through the thread properly), in most cases it is simply an afterthought. Now I can agree that it is annoying, however I am not the only one here who has this problem. Other notable scribes have displayed similar habits, and yet you have made no attempt to criticise them. That is not an excuse I know, but all of us here at Candlekeep have displayed faults at one time or another.

Secondly, you, yourself have sometimes been very aggressive when expressing your opinion (or lack thereof) in another scribes scroll. Bookwyrm has made mention of this many-a time, since he has been your chosen focus of aggressive replies. Although I have noticed you don't do that as much anymore.

Can I not ask for the same type of effort on your part to at least acknowledge this issue of double-posting as merely a habit which must be broken on my part. I will make every effort to correct this habit in the future.

Now in reply to your previous statements -

branmakmuffin said -
quote:
It is irrelevant whether or not anyone else usess your avatar of choice.

You have taken that statement completely out of context. It was actually in reply to the fact that no other forum visitor here at Candlekeep with this avatar that I have chosen has made any posting outside of the 'Well Met' library section. Please pay more attention next time .

branmakmuffin said -
quote:
That person doesn't double-post, so what is the point of you comment?
Again, this statement has been taken out of context. This was in reference to the fact that said scribe's chosen avatar had been selected as an avatar by numerous other posters who have visited the library in the past. I may have mistaken what said scribe was talking about, but that is hardly justification for your comment.

Now as for the Sage/Bookwyrm twostep, this is something I can agree with you on entirely. It is not something we do intentionally. It is just the simple fact of getting caught up in something we are discussing. However I will make more of an effort to curb this in the future, as I am sure Bookwyrm will as well.

I appreciate the effort you have made branmakmuffin in discussing this. Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  06:17:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed I will, Sage. I've taken to being more absent-minded lately, for some strange reason. Often I've gone to edit a post and not noticed that I was actually quoting it . . . then I end up with two posts that say almost the same thing. At least with the other, I don't risk that.

Certainly, if it annoys someone, I'll try to stop it. After all, I did in fact say what Bran was quoting (though, as I said elsewhere, I'm much less uptight about it now; certainly people can change their minds?). However, I find your emphasis in mentioning "an unnamed Senior Sage" to be unduly spiteful.

Which brings me to another point. As Sage said, you seem to single me out for most, if not all, your harsh comments. Why? I've done nothing to you. I believe you're over-reacting. Especially since all your most recent posts seem to have been in this vein.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  19:38:02  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bran for bringing this to their attention.
I for one happen to agree with Bran, at least on the Sage/BW two step issue. It's like you two are using these forums for your personal conversations. I'm glad to hear that you both will try to curb that 'habit' in the future, although I take it with a grain of salt from BW in that it was already adressed in the 'Me Too posts' thread, and here we are again. This is the main reason why the post counts and so called 'titles' mean absolutely nothing to me anymore.
Anyway,I want you both to also know that I usually look forward to reading what you have to say. You both usually have something relevant to say on any given topic, it just seems that recently, its been nothing but the two step thing.
Please do continue to post guys, but just be a liitle more conscientious of what you do, OK?

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes ma'am . . . um, sir. Um . . . thing.

Seriously, I'm a chaotic individual with a bad, bad memory for details. I think God rolled me a Wisdom of 3 or less. I sometimes just don't notice things. Heck, I once left my garbage cans out on the lawn after pickup day and didn't even notice until the following week. That's my usual operating pattern.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  03:03:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will indeed try my friend. I make no excuse for the twostep conversation between myself and the Bookwyrm, only to say that it was simply a series of discussions that quickly became carried away conversations. I hope to restrain myself in future from engaging in such activities.

Thank you for your concern Yasraena .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  03:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, I also have to point out that, while it doesn't excuse the 'conversations' we've had, Candlekeep has been unusually quiet of late. If no one else is posting daily the way we are, it's only natural that the scrolls will fill up with our posts and few of anyone elses.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  03:33:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I must say that I agree with your post Bookwyrm. I wished to say something similar to that effect in my original reply to Bran's post, however I was not sure how some people would react to that. Besides I also took into consideration that some people may have had concerns outside the scope of this forum, and simply never found enough time to visit. So...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  03:34:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHOOPS !!!

Here we go with the twostep thing again .

Just kidding, I couldn't resist .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  03:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a stupid term anyway, made by someone overly irritable.

And I thought of adding something along the lines of how people were "off on their own adventures" but thought that might sound too flippant.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  03:49:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It also does not seem overly appropriate either.

Courtesy of Dictionary.com -
quote:
two-step
n.
1. A ballroom dance in 2/4 time, characterized by long, sliding steps.
2. The music for this dance.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  23:31:58  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK my friends...

Your at it again...

At least you changed cloaks...

But if you can't stop following each other around, I think this little battle mage might have a nice flesh to stone spell available

That should stop the sages from dancing, yes?

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  02:43:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Changed out you mean, I no longer wear a cloak .

And as for the Flesh to Stone spell, well...I have a large and extraordinarily vile Pit Fiend standing here beside me, completely under my thrall (at least for the moment) and since I have a Protection from Evil spell cast upon my person...

Which do you want to try for first .

Anyway, thanks Battle-Mage Mournblade.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  08:54:23  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

OK my friends...

Your at it again...

At least you changed cloaks...

But if you can't stop following each other around, I think this little battle mage might have a nice flesh to stone spell available

That should stop the sages from dancing, yes?

LOL really funny Mournblade...
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  09:50:53  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sage Bookwyrm two-step? My my my, i think we should petition and...erm....go to war....or......YAWN

sorry, lost interest back there. I for one couldn't care less how often the two of them post. I find each and every one of their posts to contain a wealth, an absoulute treasure trove of valuable info, whether it be FR, opinion or Star Trek (for lack of a better example). I think the fact that you both post so much to be great, as it shows a highly active participation on the boards which is awesome and the fact that you two seem to 'post to each other' is probably because you two are the most frequent posters and you cant reply to an opinion which is not there, so you end up replying to each other - am i right? In order to placate people's tempers however, i hereby solemnly swear to stick my head into any converstion between the two of you, regardless of whether i have any knowdledge on the topic at all. Everyone happy? Great!

As for doubel posts - boo hoo. Personally, i dont feel one's ''number'' of posts reflect on them in any way, and if Sage's posts are actually more than they are supposed to be, im not going to lose any sleep over it.

I would say that Sage and Bookwyrm are two of our greatest members who have always been terribly helpful to me and i will therefore defend them to the end. While i do not think their position should exempt them from criticism or put them above improvement i do think their conduct on this board should have earned them more respect than was payed them here. By all means, question authority, just raise your hand first.

You're both alright by me - and i say post any which way you want

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  09:59:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!!!, and that was from a moderator here at Candlekeep. I appreciate the kind words MuadDib, thank you very much.

Now you did make a comment that I actually agreed with to an extent -
quote:
...the fact that you two seem to 'post to each other' is probably because you two are the most frequent posters and you cant reply to an opinion which is not there, so you end up replying to each other - am i right?
I don't know what the Bookwyrm thinks on this, but to me, that is exactly right. In most cases we are both the only two scribes normally in Candlekeep, so it is only natural that we are going to post together, I mean, what are we expected to do...ignore each other .

Anyway, I have made considerable effort since Bran brought this issue to the fore to curb this annoying habit. And MuadDib, we would welcome anything you have to say on any topic discussed here at Candlekeep. Your thoughts and opinions are just as important and valid as the next scribes, at least to me .

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  13:18:10  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes! I saw on one of your previous post "edited by Sage of Perth..."
I must applaud with my two hands (translation of a french phrase... don't if it really means the same in english) and thank you to listen to the critics...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  22:30:57  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But....

I STILL WANT TO BLAST SOMEONE!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 22 Jul 2003 22:32:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  03:39:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SHHH!!! .

Remember Mournblade, this is a library. Some of the scribes are asleep at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  05:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ZZZzzz-* Huh?

::grumblegrumble:: Stupid loudmouthed scribes . . . .getting to be so that a dragon can't sleep on his own bed of books . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  06:01:31  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh right....

Sorry

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  06:13:09  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mourblade, I understand

Blast me if you like, i can insult your family lineage if it will help....

I offer myself as human shield, after all, after waking up a grouchy sleeping dragon, i cant think there is anything worse, so go for it...

Just try to keep it down, we dont want Alaundo and his Staff of the Irritated Moderator to come into play

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  07:39:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That staff has certainly seen some use these past few days...

The Sage rubs at his left shoulder, trying unsuccessfully to soothe the pain of the minor lump that bulges out from underneath his silken robe.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  19:43:37  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MuadDib:

What if I posted in ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME? WHAT IF YOU SAID IT BOTHERED YOU? WHAT IF SOMEONE ELSE SAID IT DIDN'T BOTHER THEM? SHOULD MY RESPONSE TO YOU BE "ALL CAPS? BOO HOO"?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  01:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, give it a rest, Bran. Other people have their own opinions. Personally, I'll abide by Voltaire's advice. And that applies to you as well, as far as I'm concerned.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  04:22:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well put Bookwyrm .

Considering the great diversity of people from different cultures who visit Candlekeep you would think that some people would better understand the vastness and variety of opinions inherent with the other scribes here.

Oh well...

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  05:38:01  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bran: you have completely missed my point...

Post in caps, once, post in caps twice. Post whatever you want, i really couldn't give a flying fudge. That is my point.

You post whoever, whenever, whichever, way you want, and let Sage and Bookwyrm do the same...

Deal? Lets just be friends and put this topic to rest...

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  09:11:54  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voltaire... nice FRENCH guy, héhéhéhé

We should open a new room at the inn: Room Where You Can Fight Each Other Without Being Punished

argh i know my humour is ... not humoristic...
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  10:14:11  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Au contraire mon ami

I think a room in which disputes can be settle is far preferable to having it out in the open....

although i guess that is what private messages are for...

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  13:15:17  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why i treated that of a bad joke. Like the boxing game at the last year GenCon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  13:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice? I wouldn't call Voltaire nice. He was the most fatalistic, pessamistic philosopher I ever heard of. However, he was pretty smart, I think. And his one most useful piece of information is the one I was referring to; Sage got it, of course, philosophy guy that he is. I actcually didn't hear it first from philosophy, though; it was in my American Government class. It's one of the prime focuses of American civil liberties and rights.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000