Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 4aux Edition Realms --- Is it just me?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  18:48:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-If someone wanted to play a 2e Realms game, I would be down with it. I see it all as D&D! Now if they was to come to prefer 3E so be it.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  20:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-The way I look at it is if some one comes to the Realms via 4E, and then gets curious about what came before. Well then we can show them the Glory of the setting. I try to see it as a Glass Half Full, not a Glass Half Empty sorta thing.

Well the "bad part" is you have to "untrain" him and teach him the true way the classes should be. The setting is an easy thing, but the "feel" of a class is represented by the game mechanics, so Wizards NEED to be potentially more powerful than others to receive the awe and fear they got in all editions except 4th. Since the mechanics are drastically different it would be like learning a totally new game.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  16:27:21  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Morhion

In regard to the topic in terms as both a Lore junky and a consumer, the reviews at Amazon sum up my opinion.

They...killed...Lantan...

Oh no...you reminded me of that horror! Gah!

Long have I waited for some proper detail on Lantan. Not many want the "tech" side of things in their fantasy game but there are a ton of people that wouldn't mind introducing it as an "exotic twist" to the setting. That was how I felt about Lantan. It was awesome but clashed with the setting. Yet it was out of the way and centered on a few islands. They keep to themselves and hold most of their inventions secretive. Once in awhile you see one of their works sold off or stolen by another nation or organization.

I really liked Lantan, it offered that "technology is exotic, but not intrusive" in a fantasy game I particularly enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  16:50:40  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

-The way I look at it is if some one comes to the Realms via 4E, and then gets curious about what came before. Well then we can show them the Glory of the setting. I try to see it as a Glass Half Full, not a Glass Half Empty sorta thing.

BRIMSTONE

Hmmm... This makes me wonder. What would be the opinions of people that started playing 4E when shown 3.5 (or Paizo)? Would there be any converts?

See, now here's the interesting part to all of that. I believe people who start in 4E and is shown 3E, most of them would be much more intrigued by 3E and it's style of play and switch over easily.

My wife works as an English teacher in inner St. Louis for a school with kids that, well, aren't the best or brightest of the bunch. Heck, other schools send their problem kids to this one! But that's due to the poor education system running rampant.

So I told her I'd be glad to help out some of the kids there by offering to run a "D&D Club" for them. Something for them to do to get them away from the rough&tumble street-life they have to suffer through everyday. And D&D is definitely a game that helps with the imagination, reading (trust me, these kids who're in 9th-12th grade but read at a 4th-grade level, D&D is a huge help), socializing (I have one kid who has emotional disorder and socializing with the other students during the game really helps out...funny thing is he picked the one class that requires socializing, Warlord!), even math to an extent. D&D kept me off the streets in NY at their age, so as long as it helps one of them my goal was a success.

So I decided to use 4th Edition. It's a much simpler system that will get the job done and I run a 4E FR game with them. Normally, I introduce people to 3E if they were joining my games and shun 4E completely but that's not what's important to these kids. 3E, I love it, but it's too complicated for them at the level they're at. Heck, 4E isn't entirely too much better, but it does help.

Cool thing is, three of the teachers and my wife all signed up for it too. So we have a group of 4 students and 3 teachers (my wife fills in when the player of the Genasi Ranger can't make it) in it and everyone's having a blast.

To get to the point of all of this, I've talked with two of the teachers after the sessions about D&D in general and the direction it was in and the direction it's being taken. I've explained my vehement hatred for 4E and all it stands for and the key differences why I prefer 3E over 4E.

Surprisingly...they are more interested in playing a 3E game than 4E. One of them feels he's "Not getting enough out of 4E other than killing things." and he said, after perusing through some 3E books, he finds that aspect of D&D much more fascinating and lively. The other guy is new to D&D in general, and cares not which edition he plays, but has admitted 3E is more to his style than 4E. "4E is just great for the kids" he says.

(Heh. And I normally would get hounded for saying that on any other forum.)

My hobby shop has sold only 5 sets of PHB, DMG, and MM out of the 36 they had since they released it. Only one dude constantly purchases a new 4E release and there's only one 4E gaming group there. The rest of the people and customers there either gave up on D&D, stick with 3.5E, or moved on to Star Wars Saga or some other game. I know not one single FR fan in that store that likes what was done to the setting.

So, after almost 6 months, 4E is still on the fence with its success. The glut is already present in 4E, have you seen most of the Dragon Magazine articles and the books lately? Especially Martial Power? I like "crunchy" stuff for my games, but 4E is overflowing with it and there's no real fluff behind any of it.

Whatever the case, we'll see in 2 years time. That's my guesstimate to see where D&D is at in the end.
Go to Top of Page

Misery
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  07:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Misery's Homepage Send Misery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly said it well with it being now the Shattered Realms. A few friends and me have worked together and started mulling over some options of what we could do. A few things came to mind when 4e realms came out.

1) Pre Spell Plague campaigns.
Positive: ... pre spell plague? Big positive if you ask me.
Negative: The spell plague is STILL coming. Its in the future.

2) Jump to a different setting (like Pathfinders)
Positive: WotC can't touch it.
Negative: ITS NOT THE REALMS T________T !!!

3) Go all Chrono Trigger on the Realms.

So far, it looks like option 3 is our course of action. What we've decided on doing is a combination of things. For one I'm writing a little story for it as it stands (I write for fun and post crap on Deviant Art). But more so then that, I want to run a campaign that takes the players through time into the future so they see what happens to the realms. Seeing the HORROR of it all (bitter much?) or mainly the deities who fell and the death of Mystra (which one of the players has a good relationship with. Not ELMINSTER good, but you know, worshiping and all. Believs Mystra saved her life) they feel they want to try and stop everything from happening.

So the players will get shot back in time and do what they can to keep the future events from happening. This would be PRE Lady Penitent series and Blackstaff novel as those are more things I feel unhappy about as well as the lack of the Seven Sisters.

What would happen is a fractured timeline where the other world/realms still exists and happens as normal, but the changes they make create a separate realms all together that can continue to go on in its old fashioned way.

Only issue with this would be all the material coming out for the realms as well as novels will be 4e type so new stuff is going to be hard to come by. There are still some oldschool 2e stuff I can still pickup if I can find, but most the 3e FR stuff I've already picked up. Have to do what I can to feed my Lore addiction. Mmmmmm ... Lore. Tastes like Popeyes chicken.

Dems da breaks.

... can I still be a bad A and like kittens?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  18:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You forgot option #4--just play the Realms you like and ignore the changes you don't like (the Spellplague doesn't even have to be in the future, as it doesn't have to be there at all).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  18:54:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The Lady does have a point. Heck I have thought of reseting my realms back to "The Old Grey Box" myself. 12th level Semmon in 3E or 4E would Rock. A 16th level Manshoon in 3E or 4E would rock. I hate power creep!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  19:04:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

You forgot option #4--just play the Realms you like and ignore the changes you don't like (the Spellplague doesn't even have to be in the future, as it doesn't have to be there at all).

I like option #4 myself... as I've mentioned elsewhere in the Keep, my current campaign (which I am not DMing, but continues in the future of the last 2E campaign I ran) is already past 1400DR with nary a Smellplague in sight. The old campaign had gone well past 20th level, with the party paladin becoming a demipower servant of Tyr, and the new campaign features some of his sons: quintuplet paladins. I (as DM then) came up with the quintuplets (prayer for fertility to your patron greater deity can be a powerful thing), and he got me back by making them all paladins. That'll teach me to be nasty.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  19:27:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While I like this option, there is still -- at least for me -- a problem with it. Not following the official timeline means that new material is of limited use. For people like me that hate the Shattered Realms, pretty much any new material is useless. And I really liked acquiring and reading new material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  19:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

While I like this option, there is still -- at least for me -- a problem with it. Not following the official timeline means that new material is of limited use. For people like me that hate the Shattered Realms, pretty much any new material is useless. And I really liked acquiring and reading new material.

I like it when people say what I want to and word it better than I could. Thanks Wooly!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  19:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know, but sometimes you just have to make a hard choice.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  19:45:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, but that option is closed to you too, with the publishing schedule Wizbro is adopting. A DM's book, a player's book, an adventure, and you're done... unless you buy into the real Sellplague, which is D&D Insider.

Edit: I guess Rinona and I both had a response for Wooly on that one.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 17 Nov 2008 19:46:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  20:49:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I know. That is, to me, one of the greatest tragedies of 4E and the Sellplague: regardless of how you feel about it, there's next to no new material left to look forward to. Even though I reject the assertations that WotC was deliberately trying to kill the setting, only giving us the occasional article and leaving the rest to fiction goes a long way towards killing a setting -- even if you don't alienate a large portion of your fanbase beforehand.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  21:05:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Now don't forget the Living Realms. They will be producing Realms Lore.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  21:12:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there is a 'Living Dead' joke in there somewhere.... <scratches head>

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  22:05:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Undead from Thay?

-Every one of The Living Realms Adventures will have the lore to run them. Granted one must join the Living Realms to play, which was what I was saying over at the WotC Boards awhile back. I got to get used to Novels and the Living Realms being my sources for Realms Lore now. So I joined and will eventualy start playing at some of the events to get a better feel for the 4e rules and get to where I can start downloading the mods that come out.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 17 Nov 2008 22:06:22
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  01:50:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And yet there's been no clear answer (as far as I can tell, from reading posts by people involved with it on WotC's boards) as to how, exactly, that new lore will get to the fans.

Go to Top of Page

Misery
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  01:58:51  Show Profile  Visit Misery's Homepage Send Misery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, there is that option too but maybe I might feel better if inside my own little mind the players stop 4e realms from happening

Still, maybe I'll save the characters an weird adventure and just ignore it. But as others have said, it just is kinda sad no new realms info for what I like will be coming out.

Such is life.

... can I still be a bad A and like kittens?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  04:24:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And yet there's been no clear answer (as far as I can tell, from reading posts by people involved with it on WotC's boards) as to how, exactly, that new lore will get to the fans.

-Simple, you gotta play in the games. Get to where you can run events, or start designing mods.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  14:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
-Simple, you gotta play in the games. Get to where you can run events, or start designing mods.

BRIMSTONE

From what I understand, thousands of people will be playing these games, and of course not every game will have the same outcome. Of those games, the design team (or some other team) at WotC will decide what outcomes will become "official". That is the information I was talking about.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Nov 2008 14:41:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  20:09:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is why I said a long time ago that the whole thing is a sham -

They are going to pick the 'outcomes' that they wanted to happen, and then act like that was caused by the players in the LFR, when in reality that was the outcome they were going with no matter what. Players may feel like they had a hand in the events, but when a module is written wherein the players must kill Wizard-X and destroy his tower of evil, odds are that quite a few groups will accomplish that scripted goal... and thats the way the canon lore will be written.

Anyhow, I don't like this 'holding a gun to our heads' approach to the new lore. Its 'play our Realms OUR way at OUR events, or you get no new info. I just find that very distastful - D&D has always been about every one playing the game their way - not following some specific regimen like mindless sheep. I never cared for the whole LFR thing, and now I have no choice? I have to join or receive no new lore? What the hell is that all about?

Plus the LFR lore is written by volunteers - NON-paid volunteers. Boy, I sure hope they are getting kissed first...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Nov 2008 20:11:48
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  20:27:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Hence the simplification of the Realms. Just imagine what would have happened if there was no 100 year time jump. Thats why the setting was reset. See the FRCG gives just enough info to run A Living Realms Game. Combine it with DDI, and the other products that WotC will be releasing later on (Core Products that is) and you can run a Living Realms Game. I personaly don't like the set up but it's what we got now.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  20:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brimstone,

What you are arguing as "good" is what most of this thread thinks of as "bad." So please let it alone and stop arguing an argument that neither will win?

Thanks,
Hawkins

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 18 Nov 2008 20:52:17
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  22:24:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Who said I was arguing?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  23:17:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
arguing, debating
whatever
whichever
6 of one, half a dozen of another

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  23:20:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Ok.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  23:38:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's keep it civil, and on-topic, folks.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  17:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I was just trying to get the "I feel this way," and "But I feel the opposite way," "But I feel this way," "But I feel the opposite way," bit that was going on to stop. It was going nowhere and so I asked (I even tried to ask politely, dunno how well I did) that the individual that I saw as the proponent of the endless debate that was not going to see resolution to stop.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 19 Nov 2008 17:43:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  21:44:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally didn't see his post as going either way - he simply stated facts and then said he didn't like it very much but has learned to live with it.. as we all must, or move on.

I don't like it either, but I am still toying with the idea of doing a DDi trial on a month-by-month, just to check-it-out (after all, it isn't really fair bashing something I haven't fully tried yet).

Believe it or not, I think the fan-based material created by the LFR guys may be superior to anything coming down from the designers. The few of those guys I've spoken with (via the internet) have seemed very knowlegable on Realmslore, and do their research properly from what I can see. True, reducing the amount of lore definately helped with that situation, but you still need a reasonable amount of prior-knowledge to write Realms adventures.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Nov 2008 21:45:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  23:36:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I was just trying to get the "I feel this way," and "But I feel the opposite way," "But I feel this way," "But I feel the opposite way," bit that was going on to stop. It was going nowhere and so I asked (I even tried to ask politely, dunno how well I did) that the individual that I saw as the proponent of the endless debate that was not going to see resolution to stop.

Aye, Hawkins. My warning was really more of a preventative measure... to halt any potential difficulties like those that have plagued some of our other 4e FR discussions scrolls.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000