Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 4aux Edition Realms --- Is it just me?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  23:35:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danbuter

Ah well, I missed those entries. I personally didn't like having a super-mage country, so I never added it into my Realms.
The entries Wooly refers to [pgs. 56 and 67 in the Cyclopedia of the Realms] don't particularly say too much about Halruaa itself.

It was expanded in more detail a little later in the 1988 TSR "Secrets of the Sages" -- complete with a map.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Nov 2008 23:37:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  23:36:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Halruaa was one of the overrun entries that appeared in the Secrets of the Sages newsletter in 1987.

1988, according to the date on the newsletter itself.

I forgot about that one... It's not a lot of info, though.
Well, it's all we had on Halruaa at the time. Plus, we had the map, which featured in my first [and so far only] campaign set in the region.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  00:06:53  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did like Thay, but it was a Byzantine evil empire with tons of undead. Great bad guys. (Though not as cool as the 1e Zhentarim - talk about a letdown in later editions).

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  05:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Halruaa of that times is very early, more primitive form the land we know, but one can glimpse the general patterns which will be expanded later on.

Is it just me, or is Elminster indeed looking very creepy in this ancient newsletter?

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 10 Nov 2008 05:59:00
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  06:04:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Halruaa was one of the overrun entries that appeared in the Secrets of the Sages newsletter in 1987.

1988, according to the date on the newsletter itself.

I forgot about that one... It's not a lot of info, though.

Speaking of which... It's available as a free download from WotC, though it's not with the rest of them. It can be found here: Secrets of the Sages: The Long-Lost 1988 Forgotten Realms Newsletter.

-Thanks Wooly. Thats awesome stuff right there.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  18:21:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for the link!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  18:35:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Wow, thanks for the link!

No problem. I didn't even know about it, myself, until someone gave me the link 2 or 3 years back. I obviously made a point of saving that one.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  20:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is freaking awesome! Thanks Wooly!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  21:15:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is amazing the number of links that exist for things!

That was one of the coolest I've seen in a while now...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  23:18:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, excellent find.

You made my day.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  23:21:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I like those old looking maps in it. The Western Heartlands are so mysterious in it!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  23:29:44  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells stilled, Scribes:

Some of the plans that I have for after 1375:

Cormyr and Cormanthor will adhere to a mutual defense policy against the
Shade Empire and their new property of Sembia.

The Storm King of the Thunder Pears attacks with an army and overruns Archendale and
the High Dale, creating a temporary country of humanoids.

More to follow, I have to go back to work.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  03:26:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that link was much more well-received than I expected! I think it's only been posted here a couple other times, and none of those times -- as I recall -- was there this much of a response.

I'm glad people it. I like sharing stuff that people can use.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  07:08:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked it because it said the "Halruar" people were "warlike"!!!

That was a totally different take on what I had seen in my mind about them before.

Totally new outlook on how I may use them now.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  07:12:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, that link was much more well-received than I expected! I think it's only been posted here a couple other times, and none of those times -- as I recall -- was there this much of a response.

{Edit: "I'm glad people *what* it, Wooly? I must be tired, not to have seen that right away...}

I wish Wizbro felt the same way... I could really use the Cormyr royal lineage document... and Ed would love to have it released, but that may be precisely why it may never see the light of day. Oh well. My DM has decided that our next campaign will be set in Middle-Earth (yes, the one and only) using Pathfinder rules. At least if you want lore for Middle-Earth, you don't need to deal with corporate iNDAnity (whether that's "insanity" or "inanity" is up to you; both?). We have all the supplements for the old ICE game, all of the "History of Middle-Earth" books that have been published so far, and a lot of the books that have been written by other authors about the world and its inhabitants, so Wizbro can keep its secrets, if withholding information is that important to its corporate culture. I plan to continue to develop *my* Realms, but it's no longer a gaming project, because I see no reason to continue to play in a world whose publishers ask what we want so that they know what *not* to give us.

Rant over. I'm tired.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Nov 2008 07:17:23
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  13:49:41  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get back to the OP's point,
I'm playing a lot of LFR at the moment, and you're right, its not quite FR is it? Its quite fun, but there's too many non-FR elements and jarring dischords for it to pass the "believabily" test.

Whilst mechanics-wise I don't mind 4e (its a fun tactical wargame though), and whilst in future, I'd be more than willing to run a FR set in 1374 with 4e mechanics, I think I'll stick to 3.5 and 2e for most of my home FR games.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  01:53:10  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells stilled, scribes:

So, is anybody else going to put out what they plan
on writing on different that where the Spellplague is
going? I was going to in some degree of detail, but
since nobody else has, I feel awkward to do so. I was hoping
to get some feedback from our more knowledgeable sages
and to see what over people had in mind for other parts
of Faerun I am not setting my game in.

I know it's stupid, but I don't want to get singled out
as one of those gamers who can't wait to tell you their
ideas. (I personally hate that, unless the dialogue goes
both ways).

Edited by - althen artren on 12 Nov 2008 01:53:35
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  02:57:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Spells stilled, scribes:

So, is anybody else going to put out what they plan
on writing on different that where the Spellplague is
going? I was going to in some degree of detail, but
since nobody else has, I feel awkward to do so. I was hoping
to get some feedback from our more knowledgeable sages
and to see what over people had in mind for other parts
of Faerun I am not setting my game in.

I know it's stupid, but I don't want to get singled out
as one of those gamers who can't wait to tell you their
ideas. (I personally hate that, unless the dialogue goes
both ways).

Personally, I will not be running any sort of game mechanic set in the 4e Realms. I may write about it, talk about it, play in it and such...but I won't run a game in it myself most likely.

My own FR diverged long ago from Canon. From a refounded Kingdom of Tethyamar that is comprised of the Desertsmouth Mountains and Daggerdale, to a refounded elven empire in Cormanthor.

My Dambrath is ruled by demon and devil cults.

Akanax pretty much dominates Chessenta in a forced military alliance/trubute system.

Thay conquered Thesk (it only seemed reasonable because Thesk is just so...well, weak) and now Thay is heavily opposed by an alliance of Impiltur and Aglorand.

Cormyr owns part of what used to be Sembia.

The rest of Sembia is a collection of petty holdings that have either sworn semi-fealty to Cormyr or the Empire of Cormanthor.

Thar is a powerful orc kingdom ruled by were-wolf orcs. Their Knights, called Ravagers in other lands, ride Dire-Wolves and are really nasty sobs...they even rule the north coast of the Moonsea. Phlan is ruled by a Wizard from my adventuring party that set up shop in the Silver Pyramid...and he fights the Orcs of Thar constantly in alliance with the Barbarians of the Ride.

There is no Kingdom of Many Arrows in my world...Obould got chumped by Drizzt first...then by elves returning to the High Forest. The Kingdom of Earlann (sp?) has been refounded there.

Man...lots of different things; but obviously not Canon FR.

Go to Top of Page

Morhion
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  03:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Morhion's Homepage Send Morhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regard to the topic in terms as both a Lore junky and a consumer, the reviews at Amazon sum up my opinion.

They...killed...Lantan...
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  05:05:20  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clear studies, Dalor Darden:

Here is a scroll for you efforts @.
Here is what I am doing:

Cormyr and Cormanthor will sign a mutual defense policy against the Shade Empire and their new property of Sembia, creating a new power struggle in the Heartlands.

On one hand, there is the new Republic of Cormanthor with the participants being: Elves of Myth Drannor, Shadowdale, Daggerdale, Mistledale, Deepingdale, Battledale, Featherdale, Tassledale, and drow elves who repent of their crimes and take a god oath that they will obey the commands of the Coronal. (I have not read the Lady Pentinant series, but I know some Drow are redeemed and return to being dark elves and these are the elves I speak of.) Eilistraee is not killed and becomes the patrol of these new dark elves, with Vhaeraun promising no more aggression before the Seldarine and swearing fealty to her and serving as the dark elves war god after killing Selvetarm.
Another side will be Shades with their conquest of Sembia. The shades are now starting to be active in their plans to conquer the North. They are currently working of subtefuge in the Black Network to bring those land under their control. They are actively enchanting the leaders of the Tun Tribes to act as proxies and direct the efforts of the Tribes to attacks against Cormyr. They are courting the Cult of the Dragon to join them but are really
just planning the right time to take over the leadership of all the local cells.

A third side will be the Zhentilar who have conquered all the Moonsea. Manshoon the True returns after the failure to take Shadowdale in the events of the Shadowdale modular and with the help of his clone (who he has found a way to control) and several clans of Fey'ri who escaped Myth Drannor, destroy the truly powerful among the Church of Bane (Fzoul escapes, swearing vengence
against Manshoon). The church of Bane is forced in line with Manshoon's idea for them, the military will be cracked down on, and all the wizards and beholders in the Network once again swear fealty to Manshoon, due to the fact they are frightened of a tattoo on his forehead that suggests a pact with a great outer plane evil. Wizards are actively recruited with lucrative rewards to help Manshoon counter the threat of the magical superiority of the elves and the Shades.

Harrowdale will stay indepentant and play off the Shades, the Zhentilar, the Elves and the other nearby national powers against each other to enrich themselves and to try and stay independant.

The Storm King of the Thunder Pears attacks with an army and overruns Archendale and the High Dale, creating a temporary country of humanoids. With the help of the a red dragon that lives the Thunder Peaks just to the north of the Thunder Pass, crudely constructed seige engines, and tunnels constructed under the mountains to the humanoids clan lands, they close off the Thunder Gap with fortifications and charge enormous tolls to allow through the Gap. Cormyr is unable to clear it out due to their countering
the Tun Raiders in the West and their concern over Shade-run Sembia to the East and fortifying all over the place after several costly wars.

End of Part 1

Edited by - althen artren on 12 Nov 2008 05:15:20
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  06:00:37  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 2:

Scarsdale Town is taken over by a unknown shadow figure who has thousands of
soldiers loyal to him alone as his army. The town is quickly brought under a strict order, but reasonable negotiations are started with the rest of Scarsdale to join together the
land under one rule.

A new empire in the Tortured Lands arises as a cabal of wizards ally with a large family of
GRAY DRAGONS take over all the humanoid tribes of the Tortured Lands and the surrounding mountains and start a low-grade war with the Black Network.

The Eldath Veluthraa have built a new headquarters within the remaining underground ruins of Myth Ondathel and are starting to set up portals to other places in Faerun for a more centrilized governing style.

Thay is the same. They are just too good as they were in 3.x to change them, and they make
a good foil to the Shade empire. Everybody but true haters use their services now.
Thay gets a little less world dominating due to the power swings in the North and are now
acting as Switzerland in WWII, much to the dislike of their rulers.

Alustriel concentrates on populating Myth Glaurach with humans, dwarves clans, and halfing families while many of the elven clans out of the High Forest led by Lady Morgwais, and gnomes out of the surrounding hills all come together with the purpose of populating Myth Glaurach and turning it into a defense point against the Shade Empire speading west. Several divisions of the millitary of the Silver Marches are sent to Myth Glaurach and act as the city army until a formal one is created.

More Later. End of Part 2
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  09:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-I like those old looking maps in it. The Western Heartlands are so mysterious in it!

Do you have Photoshop? Its relatively easy to make maps of that style with PS as shown by Butch Curry HERE (*1). In the 18 episodes (so far) of "Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop" he explains how to make the maps "old style" in many cases and for the really old and more or less monochromatic maps you dont have to bother about color most of the time. The tutorials make it dead easy to draw the maps even without much Photoshop skill.

(*1) The YouTube version of the tutorials is bad quality and he has the episodes on iTunes and on revver too, but revver seems to be down atm, so I wont give the link. Both iTunes and revver versions can be downloaded and are better quality than YouTube.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  16:22:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's very old-fashioned, and in a good way. I'll take as much of that stuff as I can get!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  01:19:31  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that most people knows my opinion of 4ed... and to those who dont... I can only describe my sisgust this way: !"#¤%&/()}][{€$£!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

UNSpacy
Seeker

France
78 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  00:51:20  Show Profile  Visit UNSpacy's Homepage Send UNSpacy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

I think that most people knows my opinion of 4ed... and to those who dont... I can only describe my sisgust this way: !"#¤%&/()}][{€$£!!!!!!!

So much...hate.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  01:58:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Right.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  13:38:50  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

I've come to terms with 4e (and 4e FR - I just treat it like a seperate setting) - there's little point in getting too worked up over what is a game after all.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  13:52:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The way I look at it is if some one comes to the Realms via 4E, and then gets curious about what came before. Well then we can show them the Glory of the setting. I try to see it as a Glass Half Full, not a Glass Half Empty sorta thing.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 14 Nov 2008 13:53:27
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  14:53:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on, guys. I found Nicolai's post to be humorous--I don't think he's that seriously worked up over things.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 14 Nov 2008 15:35:16
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  15:22:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-The way I look at it is if some one comes to the Realms via 4E, and then gets curious about what came before. Well then we can show them the Glory of the setting. I try to see it as a Glass Half Full, not a Glass Half Empty sorta thing.

BRIMSTONE

Hmmm... This makes me wonder. What would be the opinions of people that started playing 4E when shown 3.5 (or Paizo)? Would there be any converts?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000