Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What Next?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  03:47:10  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I just finished reading through "The Annotated Elminster" which I enjoyed.

I have also read the Cormyr and Spellfire sets of books, also great.

What should I read next? I saw a lot of people suggesting the Shadow of the Avatar books. Should I read them in step with the Avatar books? Should I read these before Elminster in Hell?

Please give suggestions what would the next logical thing to read be. Or other things I would enjoy in the FR cosmos.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 06 Nov 2008 14:12:17

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  07:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished the Annotated Elminster and now I'm starting on the Shadow of the Avatar series, after that I think I'll read Elminster in Hell and then Elminster's Daughter. I've already got them all in a little pile waiting to be read, after that... I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  13:52:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Shadow of the Avatar series provides a look into all that was going on with El during the ToT, so I definitely recommend that. Chronologically, it makes sense to read before Elminster in Hell.

When you're all done with El, be sure to pick up the Knights of Myth Drannor books as well...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  14:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I own Elminster in Hell as well as Elminster's Daughter and all the Knights of Myth Drannor books. I also own City of Splendors.

I mostly read FR books to help with my FR campaign. If I read the Shadow of the Avatar series should I also read the Avatar series? Do they crossover among one another?

I am also looking for a good book to describe Waterdeep, the party is heading their soon. Will any of the Avatar/Shadow of the Avatar books do that? That's why I picked up City of Splendors.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  14:47:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... The Avatar series, as the titles describe, take place in Shadowdale, Tantras and Waterdeep. Shadows was written by Ed to 'fill in the gaps', but there's not much crossover. There's also a number of books set partially or wholly in Waterdeep, but I can definitely recommend Elaine Cunningham's and Steven Schend's books to give you a 'feel' for the city.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000