Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sword never sleeps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  22:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, all.

Has anyone gotten their hands on a copy of Ed's latest, The Sword Never Sleeps? The release date was supposedly today.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  23:56:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Amazon, my copy is on the way...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  00:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Chapters.Indigo.ca have said the same thing for me. I know, I know...patience...arrgh.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  00:50:19  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked like 5 book stores today...all of them thought they should have 1 copy, but nobody had any. A store that was waaay far supposedly had 6 copies, but I wasn't going to venture that far. :) (Major bummer, I thought all copies would have it ready for me at the front of the store on diplay, but I guess it was just wishful thinking...Ed doesn't get enough respect in my city!)

Ended up ordering it from the nearest and they told me it will be in store in about a week.
The Fractured Sky by Thomas M. Reid however I was able to find.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  01:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*gasp* I'll have to check for it soon...thanks for the reminder.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  11:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had this one on release countdown for the last couple of months. After book 2 I am pretty much salivating to read it...

...and I just got a mail informing me of its dispatch.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  15:57:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have it and have read it, and it is superb.
Some of the too-brief scenes featuring Alusair and Vangey (not to mention a certain dark-hearted Highknight) rank right up there with the best D&D-related fiction writing ever. Ed is a far better writer than most gamers give him credit for, and (increasingly, these last few books) it shows. I await the various hatchet-job reviews with interest, because they always tell me far more about the reviewer than about Ed's work.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  16:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have it, and am reading, and echo our Hooded Lady's sentiment as regards Alusair and Vangerdahast--interchanges that make one love and miss the Mithral Princess even more, now, and recognize just what a delicate and complex relationship exists behind the doors of the Palace...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  19:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one novel I definitely plan to buy, and expect to enjoy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  19:59:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention my copy is coming with this as a tagalong:

Tales from the Perilous Realm. Tolkien's four novellas: Farmer Giles of Ham, Leaf by Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major, and Roverandom and one book of poems (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil), all collected in a single hardcover.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 05 Nov 2008 20:00:33
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  17:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy just arrived!!! [Squeal of excitement accompanied by a happy dance]

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  18:21:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I have it and have read it, and it is superb.
Some of the too-brief scenes featuring Alusair and Vangey (not to mention a certain dark-hearted Highknight) rank right up there with the best D&D-related fiction writing ever. Ed is a far better writer than most gamers give him credit for, and (increasingly, these last few books) it shows. I await the various hatchet-job reviews with interest, because they always tell me far more about the reviewer than about Ed's work.
love to all,
THO

-Well said.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  12:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine just dropped through the door 5 minutes ago.

Suddenly a "writing thesis" day has turned into a "curl up in bed and read an Ed Greenwood book" day.

I much prefer the latter .
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  13:55:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm beginning to not venerate Amazon as much as I used to. Used to be if I pre-ordered a book, I'd usually receive it on the street date it was released. Now, I'm still waiting almost a full week after the street date.

But it should be here today. I mean the tracking says it's only 60 miles away, so it shouldn't be much longer, right?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  14:39:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm beginning to not venerate Amazon as much as I used to. Used to be if I pre-ordered a book, I'd usually receive it on the street date it was released. Now, I'm still waiting almost a full week after the street date.

But it should be here today. I mean the tracking says it's only 60 miles away, so it shouldn't be much longer, right?

Amazon is usually really good about getting stuff to you quickly... But they're certainly not the fastest. I once placed two orders on the same day: one with Amazon, one with CDJapan. The CDs left Tokyo and were in my hands in less than 48 hours. They beat, by more than a day, the books coming from Jacksonville, with is a two-hour drive from here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  14:47:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually they are very good about that. But the last 5-6 orders (over the last 5-6 months), I've noticed that they were very delayed. I would usually get a notice that the item was shipping a day or two before the release, only to see it sitting there with an outbound notice for 4-6 days.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  11:11:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I have been reading The Swords of Dragonfire at work the last couple of nights. I have been getting paid to read Ed. I love my job.
-Quick question will The Sword Never Sleeps only be a hardcover, or is it a soft cover. Or will it be a soft cover in about a year? I also like posting from work. I love the Graveyard shift!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  16:47:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brimstone, don't quote me on this, but I believe THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS is hardcover only for now, and a mass market paperback edition will appear in May of 2009. Now, things can shift in publishing, but as of right now, I believe that's the WotC plan.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  21:11:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Thank you my lady.
-I figure I should start buy Hard Cover Books anyways. My Blackstaff Novel Cover came completely off. I guess I will need to buy another one!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  21:43:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well I just got it! I will read it this week while I am at work.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  03:58:11  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Well I just got it! I will read it this week while I am at work.

BRIMSTONE

you're not an air traffic controller by any chance?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  14:55:35  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished the book yesterday and thought it was great. I've now read 6 Ed Greenwood books and have truly enjoyed them all. I had some misgivings before diving into Mr. Greenwood's writing because of some of the negative comments I've seen on various forums, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

Kinda spoilerish:

Sidenote: Did anyone else happen to notice that Dove is still a "Silverhand" in these books, which take place in 1348 DR? My first introduction to her was as a "Falconhand" in Sojourn (1339 DR). Looks like RAS may have jumped the gun on the wedding date.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  17:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine came yesterday, but I'm too swamped with work to start it at once. It may be the last thing I buy from Wizards for a good while.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  18:22:33  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not yet...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  20:25:49  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as Merith don't get the Axe I'll be happy
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  23:00:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Merith didn't join the KoMD till they arrived in Shadowdale. The trilogy ends with the 'core group' of Knights just about to round the bend and enter the dale for the first time.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  04:29:45  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Merith didn't join the KoMD till they arrived in Shadowdale. The trilogy ends with the 'core group' of Knights just about to round the bend and enter the dale for the first time.

-- George Krashos

See, that's my question. Is it just a trilogy? I posted the question, but didn't get an answer (yet). Just hoping there will be more.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000