Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Where do dead gods go to?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mais-Cream
Acolyte

Netherlands
8 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  16:03:48  Show Profile  Visit Mais-Cream's Homepage Send Mais-Cream a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It has been bugging me for awhile now, and I haven't found an answer yet, so I'm hoping someone knows the answer here.

I remember that Cyric killed lots of gods and stole their portfolio (like Cyric killing Bhaal and Leira). What happened to those gods?
Also, what happened to Mystra (or Midnight -- one of my all-time favourite Characters)? I know the death of Mystra was very important in order to get to 4th ed, but still...I'm still sad Mystra is..well..gone. *crossing fingers she is still...somewhere... --albeit not in physical or "godessly" form -- waiting to return..someday*

Anyways....Do gods truly die? Do gods have "souls" that are immortal and that goes to another...higher plane?

I know normal people/races go to the place of their gods (or not), but the souls go "somewhere" and the people don't "really" die.

So, what happens to gods? Do they disintegrate? Explode, get assimilated/absorbed by their killer? Does the consciousness of the killed/murdered gods become omnipotent -- their body dies, but not their mind?).

Also, is Ao also possible to kill-able, as he is also a god (I know..the biggest of all), but still...

My hands covered in ink, slapping on a piece of paper.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  16:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Their bodies float in the Astral Plane--or at least, that's how it was prior to 4E. Maybe it's still the same way (only with the Astral Sea).

quote:
Originally posted by Mais-Cream
Anyways....Do gods truly die?

Not really.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mais-Cream
Acolyte

Netherlands
8 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  18:39:00  Show Profile  Visit Mais-Cream's Homepage Send Mais-Cream a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see thanks.

So, the gods truly are..immortal. Just have to wait until they pop up again. Now that I have some direction, I'll have to read more about it.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  18:51:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a bit in the Lost God's trilogy (Finder's Bane or Tymora's Luck?) where they pass through the god's graveyard. The dead gods had been turned to immense stone statues or somesuch, due to the lack of faith in them. So, even though they are still around, they enter a kind of 'hibernation' that prevents them from doing anything.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  18:56:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, is Ao also possible to kill-able, as he is also a god (I know..the biggest of all), but still...

Isn't there an "overgod or gods" above Ao?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  19:00:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean Eo?

Sorry... I'm in the middle of re-reading Once around the Realms AGAIN... I must have a masochistic streak...

On a more serious note - I have it now where Ao is a primordial. I have always had a 'divine rank' above the gods (and another above them, and yet another above them, and one last 'being' above everything). I have always placed Ao in that role (with other 'Spheric Custodians' and beings like the LoP and Asmodeus in that group as well), but 4e lore complicates matters somewhat.

Now Elemental Lords like Kossuth and Istishia are Primordials, so they are equal to Ao in my cosmology. Thats still reconcilable, because ein each sphere their is a 'caretaker' who is in charge of making sure te 'Divine clockwork' runs smoothly, so that caretaker has the final say over all other beings within the sphere, even if they are equal in power (it has to do with the 'Laws of the Universe' that everyone must adhere to).

Look at it this way - you might be physically more powerful then your boss at work, but you still have to listen to him (or her). Rules are rules, even where the divine is concerned.

At least, thats how I spin it.

On Topic:
This relates to how I see the dead gods functioning as well - the Spheric Custodian (or Caretaker) has the final say about who stays and who goes, who gets to come back and who gets to interlope, but his power only extends as far as his sphere. A gods 'essence' goes beyond the Prime Material, so some portion of it still exists even after it no longer has a physical presence in the Sphere in question. This works the same for every living thing - it has a physical form, and a spirit. When you kill a mortal, she still gets to live forever - barring any abnormalities - in the afterlife, and when you kill a Fiend, it reconstitutes in the Outerplanes.

Ergo, the rules are really the same for everyone - killing their physical form on the Prime Material Plane does not effect their eternal form that exists in the Outer Planes - only by destroying their existance on the Outer Planes can you permanently destory them, be they mortal, Fiend, or God.

If a god has a presence in another sphere, it does not become one of those 'floating islands' in the astral - only one Manifestation (term taken from 2e's P&P) has been destroyed, and its 'other selves' may attempt to re-enter the sphere it has 'died in' again. However, most Manifestations of a god are seperate entities (unlke Avatars, which are still on a 'leash' to the god) with their own agendas, and over time they grow very distant from their original (taking on new portfolios, giving up old ones, ascending in power or absorbing other deities (or being absorbed), so it would be pretty rare for a single Manifestation of a deity to give up that much power to create yet another manifestation of itself in the hopes of re-esteblishing it's base of operations in the other sphere (unless that was part of its long-range plans).

Examples of that would Moander, Tiamet, and Orcus - you just can't keep a good (or bad) deity down.

Also, I've assigned a specific importance to Realmspace in regards to the Universe, which explains why so many gods, Fiends, and demi-powers are active within the Realms. There is much riding on what happens there, but thats a tale for another time.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Oct 2008 23:11:22
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  22:35:33  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the 4E FRCG talks about the fate of their dominions, but not really what happens to the gods themselves if they die.

Edited by - scererar on 31 Oct 2008 22:36:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  22:56:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Their bodies float in the Astral Plane--or at least, that's how it was prior to 4E. Maybe it's still the same way (only with the Astral Sea).
Yes, the Astral.

And just to expand a little on Rinonalyrna's response above... For a well-detailed treatment of what happens when deities die and how they end up in the Astral, see both the original Manual of the Planes and the 2e PLANESCAPE supplement Guide to the Astral Plane.

Unfortunately, we had little true lore on this planar aspect in 3e. However, since we didn't learn otherwise, I think it's fair enough to assume that for the most part, such an aspect still had some place in the 3e FR cosmology as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Oct 2008 22:57:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  22:58:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyways....Do gods truly die?
Ed has covered this topic, somewhat, in his replies here at Candlekeep -- specifically throughout most of '05.

As Ed has said -

"January 25, 2005: Hello, all. Ed answers Elf_Friend:

Regarding dead gods: mortals of Faerûn don’t know the true “current body count,” or where the residue of the divine essence of a dead god lies.

In part, this is because it’s very hard for a god to truly die unless very carefully destroyed by another god: otherwise, if some mortal of Faerûn still worships them or discovers them and starts worshipping them, later (even centuries later), they ‘rise’ again, albeit as almost powerless ghostly awarenesses (at their weakest).

The arguments among churches (about what god did what to which other god) confuse the average inhabitant of the Realms (who to believe?), but I’d say that among humans, most are aware that Bhaal, Iyachtu Xvim, Leira, and Myrkul are ‘dead.’ Only sages and some priests and wizards have even heard of, say, Karsus, and most folk accept that there are countless ‘godlings’ worshipped by various ‘cultists’ here and there across the Realms (from Savras and other half-remembered names to the beast-cults to “those dangerous folk who worship the skeletons of DRAGONS if ye can believe it, aye?”).

So some of them are dead and gone ‘forever’ (although one can then debate just how long ‘forever’ is, of course :}), but most are, as you say, “just dead, ready to be revived thru some epic act or worship.”

So saith Ed, Creator and Supreme Loremaster of the Realms. Also Champion Belcher of Colborne, I trow.

love to all,
THO"

Also -

"So there’s constant worship going on for almost every divine being, rumored-to-be-divine being, half-forgotten and misremembered godlings... and even slain divine beings linger on as demigods or divine sparks that can “come back” if the right conditions occur. It’s hard to fall from the ranks of demigodhood, once attained: one simply becomes a weaker demigod. Mortals in the Realms are always whispering prayers to “forgotten” gods, in hopes that the grateful deity will give them a lot of aid, swiftly, either out of eagerness to have a new mortal worshipper to command, or simply because they hear and heed the prayer (where a more popular deity may miss or have scant regard for that one prayer, amid the deafening chorus of so many)."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  23:01:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see thanks.

So, the gods truly are..immortal. Just have to wait until they pop up again. Now that I have some direction, I'll have to read more about it.

I suggest a thorough reading of Ed's replies on the subject, as I said above. As well as the 2e "Big Deity Three" books -- Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities.

Go to Top of Page

Mais-Cream
Acolyte

Netherlands
8 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  15:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Mais-Cream's Homepage Send Mais-Cream a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thank you all. Now, I have so much more interesting reading to do.

I see, gods don't die permanently. So humans-soul = gods-essence?
Also, by body count, does it mean..nobody knows how many times the gods have died? And Markustay: by Manifestions, do you mean....clones (with own free will)?
Also, is the godhood kind of...carreer path? When a Major God gets killed, "dies" and hibernates in outer plane and after thousands/millions of years wakes up out of slumber (b/c people started worshipping her/him again) - the goddess/god is demoted to demi-god..and has to climb the carreer ladder once again (step by step)?

Anyways, i'll be going to my nearest comic shop, to buy the faiths and avatars book (hope they still have it).

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  16:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to read Monte Cook's Requiem for a God, a sword & sorcery source book on gods and their deaths.

I'll post some info once I have the time.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  17:27:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyways, i'll be going to my nearest comic shop, to buy the faiths and avatars book (hope they still have it).

Good luck. The book has been out of print for several years. You'll likely have to get it second-hand, from either eBay or a site like NobleKnight.com.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  19:03:14  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So humans-soul = gods-essence?

-Not knowing the true nature of either, who's to say?

-Personally, I like to link the soul/spirit with Incarnum Energy. Deities, I say that they'd be composed of Incarnum energy, along with pure Divine Energy. A mixture. That allows non-deities to become deities (by adding Divine Energy, ie; Portfolios), and deities to lose their status (by removing Divine Energy, ie; Portfolios).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  23:28:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, by body count, does it mean..nobody knows how many times the gods have died?
I assume Ed's referring to the actual number of gods who have fallen, died, or faded into obscurity.
quote:
Also, is the godhood kind of...carreer path? When a Major God gets killed, "dies" and hibernates in outer plane and after thousands/millions of years wakes up out of slumber (b/c people started worshipping her/him again) - the goddess/god is demoted to demi-god..and has to climb the carreer ladder once again (step by step)?
That's one way of looking at it.

Really, though, this is explained somewhat in Faiths & Avatars.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  21:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, for 3,xE, an alternative (if you can name written lore that) was given in the Servant of the Fallen* feat. One of the IMHO finest chapters in recent FR lorebooks. It details how symbols or principles, strong devotion or special pacts can keep cults as well as "dead" deities alive for quite some time. Essentially, those who take the feat connect to the remaining divine essence of the slain/perished/you-name-it deity and function as priests still. Obviously, these cultists are few and far between.
Good options would be Ibrandul, Bhaal, Leira or Myrkul (all "recently slain"), much like Selvetarm, Vhaeraun, or Kiaransalee. Others though suffer from powerful deities "barring" the connections, like Lolth (and Finder) with respect to Moander.

*Lost Empires of Faerûn

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 02 Nov 2008 21:46:45
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  15:18:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I assume Ed's referring to the actual number of gods who have fallen, died, or faded into obscurity.

I assume the same thing.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  18:31:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Markustay: by Manifestions, do you mean....clones (with own free will)?
Kinda-sorta.

The way they are described in the 2e source, they are a piece of the god that is actually seperated from it, unlike an Avatar that is more like a 'dog on a leash'. An Avatar is just a seperate 'piece' of awareness that is still part of the god , that the god can act through. whereas a Manifestation is like an Avatar that has had that connection 'severed' (and in 3e terms, it probably costs the god 3-5 DR to create, unlike Avatars that only 'cost' 1).

I get the idea that these are what is used when a god decides to interlope into another sphere; normally a god would have too much going on its 'home sphere' to want to divert a large amount of attention elsewhere, and the Manifestation seems to be the best solutuion.

I would extrapolate from what little canon lore we have that a Manifestation is an exact copy of the god - albeit far less powerful - but over time becomes it's own person (much like you pointed-out with the clone comparison). Also, while many Manifestations look forward to a time when they can once-again rejoin with their 'better-half' (as the Mulhorandi Pantheon eventually did after the ToT) - probably after establishing a decent-size presence on the new world - some, especially evil ones, might have grown accustomed to their independence and become seperate entities altogether (this is the kind of thing I think that happens when we get similar gods like Malar and Herne).

Perhaps this is what happened with Bane in 4e...

On the other end of the spectrum, Manifestations can create Avatars of their own - they can 'break-apart' into mortal forms called Incarnations (that is also canon from P&P). Where a Manifestation is like a Demi-god power-wise, an Incarnation would be like an NPC of 'super-hero' stature (something around level 25).

As least that how I interpret the lore in game terms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2008 18:34:37
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  20:38:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I don't think that 'Manifestation' is the best word to use. The term is used to denote a minor sign that deities give to worshipers, to denote them approving or disapproving of actions. For example, when Corellon Larethian is pleased, and wants to show it, he manifests as an azure nimbus. And, when he's angry, he manifests as prematurely colored leaves that fall from a tree, or a comet that streaks past the crescent moon, like a tear.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  21:52:03  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Avatar's Trilogy if it was a mistake of mine (I don't have my books here) the body of the dead Bane (Actually sparklings of his essence) flow in dimensions that are like borders of the planes.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  22:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

In Avatar's Trilogy if it was a mistake of mine (I don't have my books here) the body of the dead Bane (Actually sparklings of his essence) flow in dimensions that are like borders of the planes.

I don't remember reading that in the Avatar Trilogy, I do remember Bane's "corpse" floating in the astral plane in Finder's Bane.

Anyway, back on dead gods, here's what I found out:

* Deities can only be killed on their home plane or in the outer planes.
* Deities can only be killed by other deities or mortals who're sponsored by deities.
* Demiurge: the semi-sentient imprint or reflection of a god's existance in the world, wich remains after death and floats in the astral sphere.
* Corpus Dei: a physical manifestation of the dead deity's remains on the forms of godflesh and godsblood as well as fragments of the divine power the deity once possessed (called loosed divinity, an energy that coalesces into tiny starlike masses called divinity sparks).
* Energy Well: self-sustaining power source arising from the release of energy at a god's death.
Go to Top of Page

Mais-Cream
Acolyte

Netherlands
8 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  00:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Mais-Cream's Homepage Send Mais-Cream a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Dagnirion: So, Incarnum Energy or divine energy that gives Gods their powers (portfolio). Did this also happen with the 7 sisters, Arunsun, Elminster (and other..chosen ones)? I mean...they got their powers from Mystra right...so the power should be...the divine energy (if it's the same).

Also, with "manifestations"; the appearance that all the other gods see is the..."clone", while the origin of the gods are safe in outer plane... Now what happened when Midnight took over when the "appearance"-Mystra got kicked out of "heaven" during ToT? Midnight became the new Mystra (b/c of the appearance of Mystra "died"). Isn't there somehow...a clash (or conflict)? I am thinking this because they are seperate beings. Did she kept her awarenes, or did she became 1 with the...origin (essence) of Mystra (outer plane). I hope I make sense...as I am getting confused at this point.

I found faiths and Avatars online, but seeing if other place has cheaper one.

@Tyranthraxus: Did the Energy Well exploded and caused the plague (the 4th edition big event thing)? Is it the same as the Weave?
@Nooly Rupert: Haven't heard about noble knight before, thanks for pointing.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  03:26:34  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@ Dagnirion: So, Incarnum Energy or divine energy that gives Gods their powers (portfolio). Did this also happen with the 7 sisters, Arunsun, Elminster (and other..chosen ones)? I mean...they got their powers from Mystra right...so the power should be...the divine energy (if it's the same).

-Kinda, sorta.

-Incarnum Energy, according to the book, is the energy that makes up the souls of all things living, dead, and not even born yet. Importing this into the Forgotten Realms, peoples' souls would be made up of Incarnum. Deities would be a mixture of Incarnum and "Pure Divine Energy" (which comes from their portfolios). The source of this "Pure Divine Energy" (which comes from their portfolios) would be, in all likelihood, Ao.

-The Chosen of Mystra, like all Chosen, are invested in by the deities that sponsor them. I like to use the Planescape Proxy approach concerning Chosen, since they've all been melded to be the same thing. Planescape Proxies were indeed given so much power by their deities that they gained something of a Divine Ranking (extremely minimal, but existent, nonetheless). The Chosen of Mystra would, in theory, have the Incarnum of their souls "mixed" with slivers of the "Pure Divine Energy" that deities are made of.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  03:59:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I don't think that 'Manifestation' is the best word to use.
Perhaps not, but I'm just using the canon terminology established by Eric Boyd in Powers and Pantheons. I would assume a God's Manifestation is a different thing entirely then divine manifestations.

A bit confusing, to say the least.

We could call them 'Uber-Avatars', but I'm afraid WotC might actually jump on that.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2008 03:59:59
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  18:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Tyranthraxus: Did the Energy Well exploded and caused the plague (the 4th edition big event thing)? Is it the same as the Weave?

The Energy Well caused by the death of Mystra might have created a flux in time and space, and caused the cosmology to change a (with the help of Asmodeus moving the Abyss to the bottom of the Elemental Chaos) and reshaped Toril's landscape and the return of Abeir.

However, I think the Spellplague occured because there was nobody to maintain the Weave after Mystra and Azuth died. This is like what happened durig the ToT when magic malfunctioned and created dead and wild magic zones.

Edited by - Tyranthraxus on 04 Nov 2008 23:35:05
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  19:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is still true in 4E. In fact, the decaying bodies of fallen Primordials also float on the Astral Sea (as you'll read in Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead).

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  01:18:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:

This is still true in 4E. In fact, the decaying bodies of fallen Primordials also float on the Astral Sea (as you'll read in Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead).

Well, thanks for the heads-up.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  01:58:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, thanks for the heads-up.

Aye...thanks for the info...

What I'm confused on is this: what is the true difference between a Primordial and a God???

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  02:19:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell, about seven letters.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  02:27:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Let's see...

Deities:
Have 'Churches'
Have Toril

Primordials:
Have 'Cults'
Have "Abeir"

-That's all I've got. Basically, as the saying goes, "Same [stuff], different smell".

Elves of Faerûn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 05 Nov 2008 02:27:46
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  10:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ha! This is surely NDA?! Can someone bring the tar and the feathers?!

Why there is a distinction between Toril and Abeir with regards to the primordials and the deities is somewhat beyond me. I sure can forget the old material, but Kossuth & Co. have been in/on Toril since it came into being ...

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000