Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Demzer
Senior Scribe

862 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  14:58:33  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhm well, my questions spawned an interesting discussion, i admit i was kinda taken aback by this tale of star elven treachery but it was more of a "them too?" moment. After some time reading and rereading it i can see how it is perfectly in line with elven lore and how i can even empathize with the star elves here (i mean, it's easy for the moon elves to always pin every elven misdeed to the sun elves, but the fact of the matter is that moon and sun elves always represented the elite of almost every elven realm, so if the elite messed up the moon elves were responsible too and since elves hold grudges i can perfectly see the star elves plotting with some sort of "it's payback time" attitude).

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
This conflict culminated in the Night of Bloodstones when three green elven clan elders were found ritually sacrificed and evidence planted to implicate the moon elf clans.



This was probably the biggest surprise of the whole story. Ritually sacrificed? What sort of rites did the Seldarine have this moon elves do that responsibility for someone ritually sacrificed could be pinned on them? I have a very low opinion of most things elven but i would be hard pressed to attribute a ritual sacrifice victim to some surface elven subrace, even with lots of proofs backing it up. Either the moon elves weren't completely clean or the star elves did an impressive propaganda job in just 100 years (a very short time by elven standards i suppose).

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
The departure of the star elves would spell the doom of the Yuir green elves, but that is a tale for another time.



Argh! This is evil!

But i'll wait for any other information you are willing to share, on this topic and on my Grey Forest questions, because, as always in this thread, everything is pure gold. Thanks for taking the time!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6288 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  15:03:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

Regarding your Lord of the End of Everything article.

I dont suppose you had any thoughts about children of the "Chosen" (i dread to use the term, but i can't think of anything else that suitably describes a person infused with deific power) of Jergal.

Not that i intend to have an army of divine essence infused spawn, like Bhaal. However your explanation for Bright Nydra i think could also be applied to the destruction of Asram and certain battling demi-powers (or more likely quasi-powers which it would be in this case).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  20:42:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal
I dont suppose you had any thoughts about children of the "Chosen" (i dread to use the term, but i can't think of anything else that suitably describes a person infused with deific power) of Jergal.


Demi-power or quasi-power maybe?

Anyhoo semantics aside, that is a great follow up question, would love to hear more from George on this and any other easter Eggs he has bouncing around his brain and/or hidden on his computers hard drive!

More lore on the North would be appreciated as well (am sure the North Timeline needs expanding with more Lore to round out the single entries!!)

Cheers

Damian


So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6288 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  11:03:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also had a few more thoughts.

The immediate aftermath of Karsus' Avatar spell saw his body swell with deific power and then transform into red hued stone which plummeted into the Dire Wood, a red hued stone which is not unlike the red hued stone that the 13 pyramids of Ascore are constructed of. According to Powers and Pantheons and LEOF (i think).

Given that the weave at the time of this spell was undergoing huge fluctuations is it not likely that the spell of Karsus and the ritual being performed by Jergal interfered with each other possibly binding Karsus and the Spellweavers together in the pyramids somehow.

As a further thought, i'm wondering if this fluctuation in the weave did not result in the seven candidates accidentally becoming part of merged beings, so perhaps spell weavers, the candidates, and possibly other individuals unknown (maybe infiltrators sent by Arthindol, or perhaps phaerimm that were trying to interrupt the ritual), came together to become a particular tripartite form.

I wonder if there are not two groups of tripartite individuals that happen to look alike, but are in fact unrelated.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6288 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  16:00:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and i found the Tomb of Chonis in eastern Cormyr (mentioned in the Cormyr 3e adventure), nice easter egg

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1696 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  17:20:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Also had a few more thoughts.

The immediate aftermath of Karsus' Avatar spell saw his body swell with deific power and then transform into red hued stone which plummeted into the Dire Wood, a red hued stone which is not unlike the red hued stone that the 13 pyramids of Ascore are constructed of. According to Powers and Pantheons and LEOF (i think).



I need more caffeine today. My first mental response to this was "That's a spicy meatball!/I can't believe I ate the whole thing!" from old antacid commercials.

Nifty theory, nonetheless.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  15:41:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've long had a theory that psionic abilities were conected to magical abilities in a synergistic way. If we go back to how EGG originally envisioned (Vancian) magic, people are memorizing complex 'matrixes' which unlock certain dramatic affects in the world - spells are almost like 'universe hacks', and they require great mental fortitude and willpower... things which psionics is all about.

So most creatures have either one or the other (or neither). They can learn to cast spells if they are smart and have the knack, or they can dabble in 'mind mage' stuff (which overlaps heavily with the school of enchantment, and illusion as well).

But what happens when you have BOTH?

Elminster, of course. His latent psionic abilities and his natural talent for magic is what makes him so special. He is like the Neo character in The Matrix - he can literally see the strands of The Weave, pick them apart, and re-arranged them at will. Amongst other things, he can walk into one portal and exit another that was never meant to be connected. Even The Blackstaff doesn't understand how he does some of the stuff he does.

So lets look at some other prodigies, like Karsus. Karsus may well have been Elminster's equal, or even superior (hard to judge that - the rules of magic changed a lot between their eras). I am sure Karsus may have had some degree of psionic ability. Iouluam? That ones a no-brainer. What about Larloch? He seem to be able to do similar stuff as Elminster (alter portals to do other things then intended). And while we are on that, lets go back even further - what of Halaster? He is also able to alter other people's magics, even modify the powers of artifacts. Thats some major magical mojo right there. And what did Mystra do? She took Halaster 'mind' and threw it at Asmodeus as a weapon... once again, demonstrating that an incredibly powerful mind can over-write any magical defenses.

So Karsus becomes the 'momentary god' of magic... and then falls to the ground as a RED statue of himself. Perhaps this 'stone' is some sort of hitherto unknown element - a physical manifestation of mental power (psionics). I am picturing something that is ectoplasmic in nature at first, and then either hardens on its own, or is mixed with other materials to make unique 'building blocks'. Maybe these Red Building blocks help direct magic/psionics contained within them (enhancing it), and at the same time help to keep-out enemy powers (so almost like a reflective mineral, but one that reflects mental energy instead of visible light). And just maybe a race who who specializes in strong magics and psionics have found a way to build megalithic structures out of it.

And THAT might be the connection you are looking for. Just something I came up with on-the-fly, so obviously nothing even remotely canon. Just thought I'd toss that out there as a 'hook' for anyone who wanted to go that route.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 29 May 2015 15:45:18
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6288 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  16:57:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question if you may George, this time regarding the death of Lord Delzoun.

I note that his death takes place before the rise of Netheril, but of course netheril was only founded about 50 years after Delzoun was founded. Which of course doesnt give much time for Jergal to ascend and begin speaking to the netherese (not impossible though).

Is this Lord Delzoun maybe an ancestor of the founder of Delzoun. His death i note takes place in the mountains east of Eril which could be the Teeth of Tagorlar. I did note a Heart of the Dark beneath the Teeth in the Underdark which is an unknown feature and so could be a roiling lake of lava (if i recall rightly a netherese settlement on the Teeth of Tagorlar was buried by a volcano in Netheril's fall).

Is it possible that you were alluding to a unknown dwarven kingdom in the Netheril basin before Netheril's time, and was Lord Delzoun the same as the founder of Delzoun (or was it named in his honour)?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6559 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  21:09:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Delzoun was a warrior of Gharraghaur and founder of the settlement of Osstkar. His son Ghaurin was the founder of the realm of Delzoun. Delzoun's death is an oblique reference to the creation of the Everfire Rift below Sundabar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6288 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  21:16:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I must have my geography all wrong (I do suffer from left/right, east/west confusion quite easily). Good to get it straightened out though (I'm gonna have a search for Osstkar now).

And that gives me a few hundred years to think up how Jergal the deity managed to make himself known to the netherese. I'm thinking a spellweaver artefact found in Eril that ends up in Seventon, I just thought up a name for it as well (actually it can be my attempt at an easter egg) the "Tear of Ascore", a pyramid shaped gemstone.

Oh and just once more for good measure, excellent lore George.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 29 May 2015 21:17:04
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
11426 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  02:13:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Well, I've long had a theory that psionic abilities were conected to magical abilities in a synergistic way. If we go back to how EGG originally envisioned (Vancian) magic, people are memorizing complex 'matrixes' which unlock certain dramatic affects in the world - spells are almost like 'universe hacks', and they require great mental fortitude and willpower... things which psionics is all about.

So most creatures have either one or the other (or neither). They can learn to cast spells if they are smart and have the knack, or they can dabble in 'mind mage' stuff (which overlaps heavily with the school of enchantment, and illusion as well).

But what happens when you have BOTH?

Elminster, of course. His latent psionic abilities and his natural talent for magic is what makes him so special. He is like the Neo character in The Matrix - he can literally see the strands of The Weave, pick them apart, and re-arranged them at will. Amongst other things, he can walk into one portal and exit another that was never meant to be connected. Even The Blackstaff doesn't understand how he does some of the stuff he does.

So lets look at some other prodigies, like Karsus. Karsus may well have been Elminster's equal, or even superior (hard to judge that - the rules of magic changed a lot between their eras). I am sure Karsus may have had some degree of psionic ability. Iouluam? That ones a no-brainer. What about Larloch? He seem to be able to do similar stuff as Elminster (alter portals to do other things then intended). And while we are on that, lets go back even further - what of Halaster? He is also able to alter other people's magics, even modify the powers of artifacts. Thats some major magical mojo right there. And what did Mystra do? She took Halaster 'mind' and threw it at Asmodeus as a weapon... once again, demonstrating that an incredibly powerful mind can over-write any magical defenses.

So Karsus becomes the 'momentary god' of magic... and then falls to the ground as a RED statue of himself. Perhaps this 'stone' is some sort of hitherto unknown element - a physical manifestation of mental power (psionics). I am picturing something that is ectoplasmic in nature at first, and then either hardens on its own, or is mixed with other materials to make unique 'building blocks'. Maybe these Red Building blocks help direct magic/psionics contained within them (enhancing it), and at the same time help to keep-out enemy powers (so almost like a reflective mineral, but one that reflects mental energy instead of visible light). And just maybe a race who who specializes in strong magics and psionics have found a way to build megalithic structures out of it.

And THAT might be the connection you are looking for. Just something I came up with on-the-fly, so obviously nothing even remotely canon. Just thought I'd toss that out there as a 'hook' for anyone who wanted to go that route.




You know, I hadn't really compared the concept.... but the 1e wild talents were in essence the first "sorcerors" if you want to look at it like that. So, actually, having a lot of "wild talents" in some of the early lore may be interpreted as there were a lot of people with sorcerous talent instead. Then psionics turns more into the mental discipline its become.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6559 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2015 :  14:46:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To understand the story of the Yuir elves is to understand that the green elves of the Yuirwood were unique. Unique in that their environment and their request of the Seldarine to tame the fey deities active in those remote woodlands meant that the Sy`Tel`Quessir tied themselves to the environs of the Yuirwood for all time. Much like the dark elves of Faerūn were changed into drow by the will of the Seldarine, so too were the Yuir elves altered by their gods, effectively becoming the elven equivalent of dryads, unable to leave the environs of the Yuirwood without sickening and dying.

With that dire limitation however came beneficial fey traits and mastery over their woodland environments (all Yuir elves had minor druidic powers like pass without trace, entangle or animal friendship etc.). Those traits were "in the blood" so to speak but were not passed down to non-green elven children, whether half-elves or full-bloods.

The star elves that gathered in the Yuirwood over time were a mixed lot. They ranged from the noble Lamavarith clan hailing from Siluvanede to the pious Hualarydnym clan of Cormanthyr to the xenophobic Marintraal clan of the Forest of Tethir. These families and others gathered to form their own homeland in a place well-suited to their unique natures. They had an instant affinity with the Yuir green elves, but considered the moon elves resident there to be an unwelcome presence as the Yuirwood resonated as a place with strong ties to the fey that only the native green Yuir elves and the star elves appreciated.

In most star elves, this attitude manifested itself in small ways: cold dealings, exclusion and avoidance. But for star elves such as the militant Ralandraar clan from the Chondalwood, the moon elves were enemies to be defeated and destroyed. The Ralandraar were an ancient clan, having its origins in the fallen realm of Eillūr. Whereas history notes that some green elves of that nation turned traitor and aided the rampant Ilythiiri during the Sable Wars, history does not record that the most assistance given to the Ilythiiri invaders was provided by the Ralandraar star elves. Their actions were in response to the perceived failure of the moon elf elite of Keltormir and Shantel Othreier to render sufficient aid during the Sable Wars and tarred them for all time as suspected collaborators and "dhaeraow".

And so it was that Darandril, clan elder of the Ralandraars, connived to remove the moon elf population of the Yuirwood and continue his clan's age old conflict with the Teu`Tel`Quessir. In doing so, he betrayed three green elf clans that they had befriended, heaping yet further disgrace on his blighted clan. He arranged a secret meeting with the three respective clan elders, slew them treacherously and then used magic to conceal his crime and make it seem that they had been sacrificed by moon elves in an attempt to gain the "blood powers" of the native green elves. The impressionable Yuir green elves, having already assumed some star elf attitudes toward their erstwhile moon elven comrades, reacted as hoped for by the Ralandraars, culminating in the wholesale slaughter of the moon elves who were unable to escape the woodlands.

For a long time afterward, there was peace and harmony in the Yuirwood, for the green elves were malleable and the star elves used their High Magic to subtly and quietly assert a pre-eminent position in the realm they formed and named Yuireshanyaar. As the seasons rolled on however, and the power of humans in the surrounding lands grew ever-greater, the star elves began the construction of Sildeyuir in secret and two centuries later, abandoned the green elves of the Yuirwood to their fate, knowing that those unique green elves could not depart with them. The loss of the Art was keenly felt by the Yuir elves who found themselves eventually defenceless to incursions by drow, humanoids and the biggest "monster" of all, humans.

The Yuirwood saw a short-lived renaissance in the 6th and 7th century Dalereckoning when it experienced an influx of gold elves from Myth Drannor who negotiated a presence in the forest with the dwindling Yuir green elves and even created the mythal city of Myth Tarranvar in the Year of the Oaken Glade (517 DR). This fledgling mythal city was entirely isolated after the fall of Myth Drannor and the destruction of the gate that linked it to Cormanthyr, and finally succumbed to a drow incursion in 778 DR.

When human trailblazers and explorers finally breached the natural defences of the Yuir and plumbed the depths of the Yuirwood in c. 870 DR, they discovered a weak Yuir green elven people, eking out an existence in scattered, family groupings with no ruler and no cities. A century and half later, the number of full-blooded elves had dwindled to less than a hundred and the intermingling of elf and human had created a new Yuir realm of half-elves that the present recognises as the realm of Aglarond. The Yuir green elves had become only whispers among the branches and falling leaves of the forest they had called home for millennia.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

862 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2015 :  16:58:43  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first reaction to this new post was a delighted and surprised "Ooooohhhh!!!", but for this forum i will go for the slightly more articulated "Thanks!".

I'll probably have some questions once i've digested everything but for now thanks for taking the time and making our wait more than worth it!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
36587 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2015 :  17:15:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some very good stuff, friend Krash!

I will ask a follow up question or three: What remains of Myth Tarranvar, and approximately where was it located? Any particular abilities of its mythal that you can share? And did the drow have a particular reason for attacking the city?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2015 :  18:46:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A fascinating read.

Though, the Sable Wars sounds like a sorely neglected part of the Realmslore for this region. I wouldn't mind hearing more...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2015 :  08:30:21  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to hear more as well. Thank you for the work you have put in.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2015 :  13:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a tabletop realms player but I do love reading your lore for pleasure George. Great stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  15:01:32  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George thanks for all the Forgotten Realms lore that you share. Reading this thread has been a real treat.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2015 :  09:21:30  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://realmssecretariat.com/jergal/ :O !!! Also your latest pieces on the Yuir !!! :O !!! Thanks for keeping on providing fresh, but clearly recognizable as realmsian, lore!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6559 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2015 :  10:21:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's some more on the way later next month and I'm finishing of my GENCON surprise hopefully in the next week or so.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2015 :  11:17:40  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
weeeeeeeeeeee! can't wait!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6288 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2015 :  19:58:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

I've been reading and re-reading your Lord of the End of Everything article and I've a few questions.

1 - Are the Sstar gems that Jergal was looking for (the dwarves took some) the same as the Chardalyns of the Sarrukh and Netherese.

2 - How do the Sstar gems relate to the Code of Reversion and the spell weavers. I am thinking something along the lines of the spell weavers that tried to ascend were transformed into small runestones that are the Chardalyns/Sstar gems. Then Jergal has them all collected and used in his ritual at the end.

3 - A hunefer is supposedly the remains of a demigod that is mummified. The 3rd edition writeup says that if a dead god ascends again the hunefer is discarded and left to wallow in undying rage. Does that mean Jergal's hunefer could survive as some kind of lava like monster in the Everfire of Sundabar?


And if you haven't had any thoughts on the above that's fine, I'm looking to involve the Chardalyns with Jergal and the ritual so I can connect them to the Tear of Ascore (which I'm gonna make Jergal's Chardalyn) which is owned by Aumvor and is justification for him assuming the role of the Lichlord and attempting to combat Karsus to keep him from disrupting Jergal's ritual.

And once again, great article, there is years worth of lore here.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6559 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  07:04:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Hi George,

I've been reading and re-reading your Lord of the End of Everything article and I've a few questions.

1 - Are the Sstar gems that Jergal was looking for (the dwarves took some) the same as the Chardalyns of the Sarrukh and Netherese.

2 - How do the Sstar gems relate to the Code of Reversion and the spell weavers. I am thinking something along the lines of the spell weavers that tried to ascend were transformed into small runestones that are the Chardalyns/Sstar gems. Then Jergal has them all collected and used in his ritual at the end.

3 - A hunefer is supposedly the remains of a demigod that is mummified. The 3rd edition writeup says that if a dead god ascends again the hunefer is discarded and left to wallow in undying rage. Does that mean Jergal's hunefer could survive as some kind of lava like monster in the Everfire of Sundabar?


And if you haven't had any thoughts on the above that's fine, I'm looking to involve the Chardalyns with Jergal and the ritual so I can connect them to the Tear of Ascore (which I'm gonna make Jergal's Chardalyn) which is owned by Aumvor and is justification for him assuming the role of the Lichlord and attempting to combat Karsus to keep him from disrupting Jergal's ritual.

And once again, great article, there is years worth of lore here.



The Sstar gems and aspects of the tale regarding the Code of Reversion were more Eric's babies than mine, especially the former, so I don't have much more to say about them. I like the idea of them being chardalyns however.

I also like the idea of that hunefer existing as 'something' to this day. Didn't have any specific thoughts when I did the write-up other than to adopt Eric's original premise regarding using Jergal's hunefer death to create the magic of the Everfire rift.

Glad you're enjoying the piece. It is certainly "out there".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6288 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  12:05:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just assumed because Jergal wanted the Sstar gems so badly, and Jergal was manipulating Arthindol and the netherese who wanted Chardalyns that they were both one and the same.

Then i linked the magical nature of the Chardalyns to the spell weavers and hey presto the chardalyns/sstar gems become the remains of the spell weaver race. I figure crushing the gem releases the portion of the spell weaver and is part of the component used in the ritual to restore the race.

I wonder if i could use your idea of the candidates of Jergal to provide a foundation for Siamorphe's origins, who is repeatedly reincarnated in a new form. I imagine one of the candidates didnt quite die and instead becomes a constantly reincarnating demigod.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
36587 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  15:26:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I just assumed because Jergal wanted the Sstar gems so badly, and Jergal was manipulating Arthindol and the netherese who wanted Chardalyns that they were both one and the same.

Then i linked the magical nature of the Chardalyns to the spell weavers and hey presto the chardalyns/sstar gems become the remains of the spell weaver race. I figure crushing the gem releases the portion of the spell weaver and is part of the component used in the ritual to restore the race.

I wonder if i could use your idea of the candidates of Jergal to provide a foundation for Siamorphe's origins, who is repeatedly reincarnated in a new form. I imagine one of the candidates didnt quite die and instead becomes a constantly reincarnating demigod.



If I was going to go with chardalyns not occurring naturally, I'd link them to some experiment designed to harness and store seriously large amounts of magical energy -- like, making some sort of planet-wide heat sink that stored magical energy. The plan of course did not work as expected (which could have had disastrous, even cataclysmic effects), and left the chardalyn as they are today: single-use magical capacitors.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
11426 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  01:05:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

To understand the story of the Yuir elves is to understand that the green elves of the Yuirwood were unique. Unique in that their environment and their request of the Seldarine to tame the fey deities active in those remote woodlands meant that the Sy`Tel`Quessir tied themselves to the environs of the Yuirwood for all time. Much like the dark elves of Faerūn were changed into drow by the will of the Seldarine, so too were the Yuir elves altered by their gods, effectively becoming the elven equivalent of dryads, unable to leave the environs of the Yuirwood without sickening and dying.

With that dire limitation however came beneficial fey traits and mastery over their woodland environments (all Yuir elves had minor druidic powers like pass without trace, entangle or animal friendship etc.). Those traits were "in the blood" so to speak but were not passed down to non-green elven children, whether half-elves or full-bloods.

The star elves that gathered in the Yuirwood over time were a mixed lot. They ranged from the noble Lamavarith clan hailing from Siluvanede to the pious Hualarydnym clan of Cormanthyr to the xenophobic Marintraal clan of the Forest of Tethir. These families and others gathered to form their own homeland in a place well-suited to their unique natures. They had an instant affinity with the Yuir green elves, but considered the moon elves resident there to be an unwelcome presence as the Yuirwood resonated as a place with strong ties to the fey that only the native green Yuir elves and the star elves appreciated.

In most star elves, this attitude manifested itself in small ways: cold dealings, exclusion and avoidance. But for star elves such as the militant Ralandraar clan from the Chondalwood, the moon elves were enemies to be defeated and destroyed. The Ralandraar were an ancient clan, having its origins in the fallen realm of Eillūr. Whereas history notes that some green elves of that nation turned traitor and aided the rampant Ilythiiri during the Sable Wars, history does not record that the most assistance given to the Ilythiiri invaders was provided by the Ralandraar star elves. Their actions were in response to the perceived failure of the moon elf elite of Keltormir and Shantel Othreier to render sufficient aid during the Sable Wars and tarred them for all time as suspected collaborators and "dhaeraow".

And so it was that Darandril, clan elder of the Ralandraars, connived to remove the moon elf population of the Yuirwood and continue his clan's age old conflict with the Teu`Tel`Quessir. In doing so, he betrayed three green elf clans that they had befriended, heaping yet further disgrace on his blighted clan. He arranged a secret meeting with the three respective clan elders, slew them treacherously and then used magic to conceal his crime and make it seem that they had been sacrificed by moon elves in an attempt to gain the "blood powers" of the native green elves. The impressionable Yuir green elves, having already assumed some star elf attitudes toward their erstwhile moon elven comrades, reacted as hoped for by the Ralandraars, culminating in the wholesale slaughter of the moon elves who were unable to escape the woodlands.

For a long time afterward, there was peace and harmony in the Yuirwood, for the green elves were malleable and the star elves used their High Magic to subtly and quietly assert a pre-eminent position in the realm they formed and named Yuireshanyaar. As the seasons rolled on however, and the power of humans in the surrounding lands grew ever-greater, the star elves began the construction of Sildeyuir in secret and two centuries later, abandoned the green elves of the Yuirwood to their fate, knowing that those unique green elves could not depart with them. The loss of the Art was keenly felt by the Yuir elves who found themselves eventually defenceless to incursions by drow, humanoids and the biggest "monster" of all, humans.

The Yuirwood saw a short-lived renaissance in the 6th and 7th century Dalereckoning when it experienced an influx of gold elves from Myth Drannor who negotiated a presence in the forest with the dwindling Yuir green elves and even created the mythal city of Myth Tarranvar in the Year of the Oaken Glade (517 DR). This fledgling mythal city was entirely isolated after the fall of Myth Drannor and the destruction of the gate that linked it to Cormanthyr, and finally succumbed to a drow incursion in 778 DR.

When human trailblazers and explorers finally breached the natural defences of the Yuir and plumbed the depths of the Yuirwood in c. 870 DR, they discovered a weak Yuir green elven people, eking out an existence in scattered, family groupings with no ruler and no cities. A century and half later, the number of full-blooded elves had dwindled to less than a hundred and the intermingling of elf and human had created a new Yuir realm of half-elves that the present recognises as the realm of Aglarond. The Yuir green elves had become only whispers among the branches and falling leaves of the forest they had called home for millennia.

-- George Krashos



Liking this. Makes the Star elves much dirtier in my mind, and the piece where the Yuir elves tied themselves to "the land" kind of a like a dryad to a tree is wonderful.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

862 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  17:56:05  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,

can you tell us more about Halthetes "the Highsage" of Cimbar, cited in your piece about Ouranalathra "the Mistmaiden"? When was he in Cimbar? Is he still alive in 1375 DR? Does he have any formal ties to the Cimbarian University? What are his areas of expertise?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  21:33:50  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

To understand the story of the Yuir elves


Thanks again George! Awesome work. The elaboration is hugely helpful for my imagination and campaign efforts.

Earth-life has been rearing its ugly head here so it's taken me a while to see this. Has your move gone well?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6288 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  14:11:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

I have another question about the Lord of the End of Everything article, specifically this section.

quote:
In -3654 DR, after bypassing the wards and the arakhor that guarded the mist-shrouded halls of the Ba’etith, Jergal regained the Golden Skins of the World Serpent he had placed there and hid them amidst the ruins of Aryvandaar (specifically the fourth Dlardrageth Armory, after creating a weakness in the wards cloaking the fourth Dlardrageth Armory through the Border Ethereal). Jergal’s intent was to sow the seeds of Eaerlann’s destruction by deceiving those who sought to reclaim the ancient magics of the Vyshaantar Empire into discovering these legendary artifacts and the secrets they held within them, leaving him free to grow his power among the Netherese. His labours in this regard would bear deadly fruit with the Slaughter of Sharrven in -2770 DR.


I'm trying to weave your article into my version of Netheril and i'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what Jergal actually wanted to achieve here.

The problem i have is that in -3654 DR the only enemy i can think of for Eaerlann that Jergal would be able to manipulate into retrieving the Nether Scrolls is the daemonfey of Siluvanede. However they had already tried to access the armouries and failed between -4500 DR and -4300 DR, so surely the elves would be on the lookout for further attempts to access them (even 800 years after).

Now the scrolls were kept in the only unplundered Dlardrageth Armoury (up to that point), but was later plundered by the Netherese which resulted in them turning away from the worship of the divine (and Jergal) which is a bit of an own goal, but one that i am happy with.

Now for me i have Arthindol actually weakening the wards on the various armouries and retrieving the Nether Scrolls and moving them to the fourth unplundered armoury, but he did so after subtly inspiration from Jergal (a dream vision perhaps).

Jergal wanted someone else to find it, but Arthindol eventually directed the netherese to recover them and this accidentally weakened Jergal's power rather than increase it like was planned.


The bit i am struggling with is why were they moved to the only unplundered armoury (surely it would be easier to put them in an already plundered armoury where the daemonfey were known to be living after their exile from Siluvanede). Next is who were the enemies Jergal was trying to tempt to destroy the elves of Eaerlann. Third is did that enemy recover the scrolls and use the knowledge to destroy Sharrven or not (the article implies yes with Sharrven's destruction, but history suggests no since the scrolls were still there to be recovered later and i doubt the fledgling netherese could destroy the daemonfey holding the scrolls which implies they lived in the armoury).

Any help or insight you can offer to my quandary would be most appreciated.

I'm leaning towards the enemy being the daemonfey (and either the elves of Eaerlann thought them all dead, or they felt the wards around the armouries would hold - elven arrogance). As for whether the scrolls were recovered or not, i just dont know, maybe they were and the daemonfey returned them because they were too dangerous and evil even for them. Maybe they were recovered and Arthindol was able to call them back to the place he put them in -3654 DR with a click of his fingers (he did create them after all) or perhaps they rejected the daemonfey and teleported back to his side when he called them. But if they werent recovered then what gave the daemonfey the knowledge to destroy Sharrven?

Please help?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6559 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  15:38:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The enemy aren't the daemonfey, and the link with the Slaughter of Sharrven is a long game, veil of deceit situation that actually was unplanned by Jergal, but welcomed by him when it eventuated. He originally wanted the Nether Scrolls to fall into the hands of the elves and corrupt them. The elves, not the daemonfey. That didn't eventuate due to Arthindol's own manipulations, which saw the Scrolls fall into the hands of the Netherese. The byproduct however was that the Netherese became the "big evil" of the region and were blamed for everything bad that occurred - including the Slaughter of Sharrven. The daemonfey directly caused the Slaughter, manipulated in turn by another group that I can't detail, but that group escaped detection due to the prevailing view on Netheril's culpability. Jergal wanted to cause strife and bring down challengers to his power and hegemony. He managed this directly on a few occasions and indirectly on others (such as with the fall of Sharrven). So basically, he wanted to corrupt the elves by exposing them to the Scrolls but this direct manipulation failed. Indirectly however, him freeing up access to the Scrolls and them falling into the hands of the human Netherese with all the resultant fallout of that empire, saw other dark forces enjoy anonymity within the elven political framework, allowing them in turn to bring about the fall of Sharrven through manipulation of the fey'ri. Clear as mud? Thought so.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2023 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000