Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  12:03:54  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good read, thanks a lot!
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  15:22:25  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello George,

first of all I would like to genuinely thank you about your time and commitment to the realms, and all valuable lore you provide us :-)
not sure if it falls in your sandbox, but may I ask the following:

Probably I missed some lore but am wondering how the relationship
(commercial, political and/or military) between the free cities of the Vast, the backland settlements of the High Country at one side and Impiltur on the other side could be.
Or any threats that forced both regions to combine forces (i.e. Orcs from the Earthspur Mountains, etc.) in the pre-spellplague era (ca. DR 1370).

If I undestood it correctly some centuries ago The Earthfast Mountains were home to a Dwarven Kingdom led by Deep King Tuir Stonebeard. I belive the Kingdom was called Roldilar

Am just wondering if you possibly could have any thoughts or notes you can share?

Edited by - Dewaint on 07 Oct 2013 15:25:24
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  16:49:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW

Many thanks George for that fantastic post

Will we see another revision of the North timeline now?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  01:49:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

WOW

Many thanks George for that fantastic post

Will we see another revision of the North timeline now?

Cheers

Damian

Hi Damian

Yeah, it probably needs some further tweaking now. RA Salvatore's novels have changed Delzoun significantly in the context of just what kind of a kingdom it was. To my view, the Northkingdom has now has transcended geography and become a network of citadels/settlements spread across the North. That's why my preamble above dealt with the creation of Ironmaster and an earlier refounding of Mirabar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  06:24:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

Hello George,

first of all I would like to genuinely thank you about your time and commitment to the realms, and all valuable lore you provide us :-)
not sure if it falls in your sandbox, but may I ask the following:

Oh, I've got a bigger sandbox than most people think. Ask away.

quote:

Probably I missed some lore but am wondering how the relationship
(commercial, political and/or military) between the free cities of the Vast, the backland settlements of the High Country at one side and Impiltur on the other side could be.
Or any threats that forced both regions to combine forces (i.e. Orcs from the Earthspur Mountains, etc.) in the pre-spellplague era (ca. DR 1370).

If I undestood it correctly some centuries ago The Earthfast Mountains were home to a Dwarven Kingdom led by Deep King Tuir Stonebeard. I belive the Kingdom was called Roldilar

Am just wondering if you possibly could have any thoughts or notes you can share?

Drawing from my "Unapproachable East" timeline, we see that the orcs ruled the Vast (the realm was called Vastar) from the -700s DR. This humanoid realm ruled for a long time and in 512 DR, many orc hordes rampaged out of it - one flooding into the Uplands of Impiltur and leading to the end of the Mirandor Dynasty of Old Impiltur.

This was the situation north of the Earthfasts. The situation south of that mountain range was starkly different. I've named this region the Easting Coast and it can best be divided geographically by the Grey Forest, with everything east of that part of Impiltur for many centuries, and everything west of it up for grabs during that same period. It is also known as the North Coast in other writings.

The Earthfasts had stood as a natural barrier between the Easting Coast and the Vast proper for centuries with only a few passes allowing direct travel. The dwarves of Earthfast also made the passage by orcs and other humanoids south over the mountains perilous to them. As such the southern areas saw significant settlement from the earliest days of human presence in the lands of the Inner Sea. To facilitate trade, the dwarves of Earthfast built the first settlement at Proeskampalar (Modern: Procampur) in -153 DR and it experienced a sudden influx of refugees from fallen Jhaamdath (who had been 'island hopping' across the Sea of Fallen Stars for decades) as well as those individuals fleeing the hegemony of Narfell, which was in the throes of the Great Conflagration.

A toehold in place, Lyrabar and Chessagol (Modern: Tsurlagol) were founded in that order as independent city-states by the human racial stock that would in time coalesce in to the people we now know as Damarans. In those couple of centuries either side of the raising of the Standing Stone, it was the dwarves of Earthfast who acted as a buffer between the burgeoning human settlements and the orcs of Vastar.

The Mirandor Dynasty of Impiltur was ambitious and warlike and soon spread east and west across the Easting Coast. Chessagol was conquered early on but like Arabel in Cormyr would rebel at the drop of a hat and assert independence. Depending on the strength of the particular reigning monarch of Impiltur it was either quickly brought to heel or allowed to go its own way until a more warlike king would conquer it anew. Impiltur reached its high water mark in terms of territory controlled in the reign of King Meldath I "the Mighty" (although arguably the march of Bellodar I "the Conqueror" to Ashanath technically claimed more territory). He was the first to exert real control over the Uplands and also conquered Altumbel, Chessagol and Proeskampalar. Impilturian rule over these places lasted for only as long as he sat on the throne.

Another power in the region from time to time were the elves. The Grey Forest had a significant moon elven presence for a considerable period. As Larlotha before the founding of Impiltur and then from 75 DR as the kingdom of Vedrymmell, founded by moon elves of the North fleeing the fall of Rilithar via Myth Drannor and using portals. These moon elves allied with Crown Prince Baranth Mirandor of Impiltur and helped him regain his throne after it was taken from him by his uncle Morlorn, the Usurper. It was King Baranth who exiled the Obarskyrs from Impiltur.

In 572 DR Vastar fell into chaos with the death of King Ologh the Overking at the claws of Iyauroth the black wyrm. We don't know the dragon's fate but in 580 DR, the orc Grimmerfang claimed the throne of Vastar after defeating his rivals.

The defeat of several hordes in 512 DR coupled with vicious infighting made the orcs of Vastar vulnerable and in 610 DR, the dwarves of the Earthfasts conquered Vastar and founded Roldilar, the Realm of Glimmering Swords (sometimes stated as the Realm of Glittering Swords by some shoddy sagecraft - i.e. me in my "Soargar's Legacy" article ...). The first permanent humans settlements in the Vast were founded from 645 DR with the establishment of Maskyr's Vale. Roldilar fell a short time later in 649 DR but in doing so weakened the orcs to the extent that human footholds north of the Earthfasts were able to survive and prosper.

Following the fall of the Durlarven Dynasty in 726 DR after the attack of the Scaled Horde, Impiltur abandoned its expansionistic tendencies and became ever more insular. The city-states of Calaunt, Procampur, Raven's Bluff and Tsurlagol blossomed in this time and the threat of the orcs receded, thanks to the power of coin. Mercenaries shipped in from the Vilhon were the order of the day in terms of security and there was no reliance upon Impiltur for matters of security. In fact, other than general trade, Impiltur has for the most part ignored the goings on west of the Grey Forest and focused its attentions east - playing a rule in the settlement of Uthmere, forming ties with Telflamm, Milvarn, Velprin and Aglarond and on at least one occasion riding to war against Thay to protect Thesk.

Hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Jan 2015 23:13:12
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  08:45:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thats decided, after i have finished my Vaasa rewrite and collated all the lore i can find on Impiltur, the Vast is getting looked at next.

I love lore like this that ties history in different locales together, helps make sense of the imaginary world of Toril.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  08:54:48  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome stuff again, George.

I've been prepping a beginner's campaign set in the foothills of the Earthfasts near the northeastern corner of the Grey Forest. It's essentially Keep on the Borderlands redux but I've been using your posts about Impiltur to flesh out the history a bit. I've even made the "Royal Baron" of the keep a Mirandor and a descendant of Impil Mirandor. (As my game is set in the 4E Realms and Impiltur is in major decline - as it also has been several times in its pre-Spellplague history - he can call himself a Royal Baron without risking the opprobrium of the High Heralds, but I digress....)

I just realised that last paragraph is probably as annoying as someone coming up to you and saying, "Can I tell you about my character?"

TL;DR: (1) Was the Realm of Glimmering Swords called Rodilar or Roldilar? I've seen both spellings used and was hoping you might be able to clarify. (2) What was the sign of the realm?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  11:52:08  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome how seamless you merged both timelines and added more details Hoped to get some hints on the region you named Easting Coast. The Grey Forest stuff is perfectly helping my newstarter campaign starting in High Haspur then moving south and east to Sevenecho. Great Thanks George!

Would like to catch the Roldilar chunk :-)
Apparently from the realm of Glimmering Swords is no much left of nowadays, guess due the fact it doesn't last long. How are the odds Roldilar being some sort of successor, possibly claiming southern stretches, of Sarphil? Beside the hamlet of Sarbreenar, are there any legacies, sites of interest within the mountains you can tell of? As far as I remember from olde 2e City of Ravens Bluff extension, they were known and esteemed artificers throughout the Vast. Same for western Impiltur, or do the gnomes takes that role?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  04:36:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

TL;DR: (1) Was the Realm of Glimmering Swords called Rodilar or Roldilar? I've seen both spellings used and was hoping you might be able to clarify. (2) What was the sign of the realm?

Thanks in advance.

It is definitely Roldilar. The reference to Rodilar is a mistake in "Races of Faerun".

The sign of the realm is not noted in any realmslore that I am aware of. If I had to make one up, it would be two swords standing upright with three stars between them (on a vertical axis) above an anvil.

The real symbol is likely only something Ed could tell you.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  04:57:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

Apparently from the realm of Glimmering Swords is no much left of nowadays, guess due the fact it doesn't last long. How are the odds Roldilar being some sort of successor, possibly claiming southern stretches, of Sarphil?

Given that there is 5,000 years between the fall of Sarphil and the founding of Roldilar, I would say that there would be historical and blood links, but nothing concrete. Some of the regalia of Sarphil may have found its way to Roldilar, or may yet sit inside a secret dwarven clanhold in the Dragonspine Mountains.

quote:

Beside the hamlet of Sarbreenar, are there any legacies, sites of interest within the mountains you can tell of? As far as I remember from olde 2e City of Ravens Bluff extension, they were known and esteemed artificers throughout the Vast. Same for western Impiltur, or do the gnomes takes that role?

The survivors of the fall of Roldilar fled to a few places, but the majority went to Earthfast which was the capital and survived the fall of the kingdom proper. The dwarves of Earthfast have had strong ties with Impiltur for centuries due to trade ties and occasional armed forays by the armsmen of Impiltur into the Earthfasts to clean out giant and humanoid raiders. The craftmasters of Earthfast remain probably the pre-eminent armourers and weaponsmiths east of Cormyr but their products are rarely seen outside the city in any great numbers. They do a good trade in two special oils that they created centuries ago: "torbol" (known to some as "coldslake") which when rubbed onto metal makes it warm to touch for up to 24 hours - very useful for metalworking in cold climes and for armoured warriors trekking through snow and other icy weather - and "corfin" which removes electrical conductivity from metal it is rubbed on for up to 72 hours. Metalwork treated with "corfin" provides a +1 save to electrical effects to any individual wearing items or in contact with metal so treated (for the oil to work, the treated surface must be at least the size of a breastplate or medium shield).

As for other sites in the mountains, check out my write-up of Ouranalathra "the Mistmaiden" earlier in this thread.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  05:22:24  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, George.

I'll stick with your sign of the realm. After all, Ed will probably defer to you anyway! :)

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  11:45:44  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for the answer George!

The Roldilar Sign sugegsted sounds perfect to me, will start using it for the realm. In case there will be a more "canon" one in the future I can still use it as Sign/Rune for one of the Roldilar Clans or viceversa

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  19:42:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you think the numbers of Hobgoblins in the Mountains around the Vast would be in the time of the Old Grey Box publication?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2013 :  17:36:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

What do you think the numbers of Hobgoblins in the Mountains around the Vast would be in the time of the Old Grey Box publication?

Hmm, good question. "Not huge" would be my imprecise answer. Less than 5,000 would be my slightly more precise answer and of that total, most would be in the Earthspurs rather than the Earthfasts. There's also a couple of hundred in the Grey Forest.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  07:15:25  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey George, I thought for sure I had responded to your last reply to my inquiry, but apparently I made that up, ha.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The Energy did indeed come from Soneillon, but also - through a dark ritual powered by a Narfelli artifact known as the talon of Gurlas in her keeping - through Eltab, her master.

I got mixed up by what you had mentioned along with the rest of the information regarding the Talon of Gurlas,but I am quite sure I understand now who's allegiance is to whom.

It's quite late for me currently, so I haven't poured through all the sources I have, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Eltab could move between the demoncysts as a form of limited teleportation. If this is true, Eltab wouldn't be confined to just the Citadel of Conjurer's, would he? This question isn't nearly as important to me as the next however:

I don't mean to be so confused by Impiltur's means of governing, but I still have some hold-ups. I know Tower Pureheart is the demesne of the Lords of Imphras II and whatnot, but they're obviously not always there just sitting around. I've read in a few different sources (one I recall being one of the last pages of "Unapproachable East) that individual Lords act essentially as governors for the various major holdings (Dilpur, Hlammach, et al). Is this true? If it isn't, then I don't fully understand their roles outside of taking care of major legal issues and running various facets of the nation. I believe some of the more "martially-minded" Lords are frequently out scouting, training, or running maneuvers with the Warblades as per your article in Dragon, but I'm otherwise confused.

Lastly, I realize I've already asked about the whole "duke and baron" thing, but I'm just curious if, for instance, the "county" of Moranay (from Dungeon 137) is a fairly typical example of such a locale?

I very much appreciate all of the insight, George. It's all very incredible and helpful.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  00:23:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain
It's quite late for me currently, so I haven't poured through all the sources I have, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Eltab could move between the demoncysts as a form of limited teleportation. If this is true, Eltab wouldn't be confined to just the Citadel of Conjurer's, would he?

The lore on demoncysts is found in Champions of Ruin. Eltab can't move from demoncyst to demoncyst. He was trapped in the one beneath Thaymount from 202 DR and the Hall of the Hidden Throne in the Citadel of Conjurers from 1373 DR. His consciousness was released from the demoncyst beneath Thaymount in 684 DR but returned in around 725 DR when the mortal vessel that contained him was burnt away by his power. His machinations during that time set the stage for the Fiend Wars however and the fall of Impiltur to the Scaled Horde.

quote:

This question isn't nearly as important to me as the next however:

I don't mean to be so confused by Impiltur's means of governing, but I still have some hold-ups. I know Tower Pureheart is the demesne of the Lords of Imphras II and whatnot, but they're obviously not always there just sitting around. I've read in a few different sources (one I recall being one of the last pages of "Unapproachable East) that individual Lords act essentially as governors for the various major holdings (Dilpur, Hlammach, et al). Is this true? If it isn't, then I don't fully understand their roles outside of taking care of major legal issues and running various facets of the nation. I believe some of the more "martially-minded" Lords are frequently out scouting, training, or running maneuvers with the Warblades as per your article in Dragon, but I'm otherwise confused.

How much more of a role than "taking care of major legal issues and running various facets of the nation" do they need? They are not administrators, hate it when they have to act as politicians and not at all concerned with the day to day running of the realm. Impiltur has a "civil service" that deals with taxation, trade, laws and security and all of the day to day stuff. The Lords kick in on broad policy issues, major hiccups in the status quo or events involving the Crown, some of the more powerful noblemen or anything external of significance (i.e. a delegation from a Zulkir of Thay). Otherwise they just "get around" and talk to the movers and shakers of the realm, a bit like people who are on a bunch of different boards in the modern corporate world. I'm not sure exactly what you find confusing about this picture but am happy to amplify if you can clarify exactly what your concerns are.

quote:

Lastly, I realize I've already asked about the whole "duke and baron" thing, but I'm just curious if, for instance, the "county" of Moranay (from Dungeon 137) is a fairly typical example of such a locale?

Ahh yes, the adventure from Dungeon #137. I'm not the best lateral thinker and didn't see what the author had done here until other, more perceptive people wrote in about it afterward. The author basically did a Batman/Dark Knight rip-off and indulged in a huge, private joke. Yay for him.

Eric Boyd and I saw the adventure before it was published and changed some names to make it sound more Realmsian but we didn't twig to the joke in the offing. If I had, I would have told them to pull it or changed it lock stock. So, is the "county" of Moranay a fairly typical example? Not by a long shot. Self-indulgent rubbish like that is what I abhor in shared world writing.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 02 Nov 2013 00:34:40
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2013 :  05:49:15  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos(snip) Self-indulgent rubbish like that is what I abhor in shared world writing.

-- George Krashos

I could not agree more. It's been the bane of many a Realms product (yes, Netheril boxed set, I am looking at you).

On a more positive note, I just wanted to ask you about Eltab.

What do you think is(are) his "portfolio(s)"? From everything I have read - which may or may not be exhaustive - I have never seen any sort of hint as to what he might be the demon prince of.

I've come up with my own 4E version of what suits IMC but I was wondering, George, if you had given any thought to this? Further, and this may be a related question, why is his realm called the Hidden Layer?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2013 :  06:41:41  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mean to step on any toes, but I might be able to answer part of one of your questions. In the "Fiendish Codex 1: Hordes of the Abyss" page 155 is an appendix of Abyssal Lords. For Eltab it states his concerns are hatred and retribution. I've been curious why it's called the Hidden Layer as well, though I always assumed it had to do with some sort of difficulty the original pioneers had in locating the layer. I figure it's layer 248 because it was the 248th discovered or recorded, which I've always interpreted as meaning it must not have as many portals or other means of arrival pointing to it. These are just thoughts though, so take them with several grains of salt.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2013 :  11:34:57  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

I don't mean to step on any toes, but I might be able to answer part of one of your questions. In the "Fiendish Codex 1: Hordes of the Abyss" page 155 is an appendix of Abyssal Lords. For Eltab it states his concerns are hatred and retribution. I've been curious why it's called the Hidden Layer as well, though I always assumed it had to do with some sort of difficulty the original pioneers had in locating the layer. I figure it's layer 248 because it was the 248th discovered or recorded, which I've always interpreted as meaning it must not have as many portals or other means of arrival pointing to it. These are just thoughts though, so take them with several grains of salt.

Thanks, Lukas.

I suppose I should have mentioned that.

I found that to be so generic that I assumed it was a placeholder until the designers came up with a better idea... but they didnt and so they published it with the placeholder.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  13:21:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George, im working on gathering together a timeline of Impiltur to make it as comprehensive as i can and since you are the lord and master of Impiltur i thought i would come to you for the blanks.

I have pretty much gathered everything i can from what sources i have (GHoTR, the sourcebooks and Candlekeep of course), i was just wondering if you had anything that you might be able to add to it that i might be missing (a big ask i know).

The only problem is it includes dates from GHoTR and everywhere else and is quite large so i dont know if i'm even allowed to post it here for you to see and let me know of any things i have wrong or that might be missing.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  13:41:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Hi George, im working on gathering together a timeline of Impiltur to make it as comprehensive as i can and since you are the lord and master of Impiltur i thought i would come to you for the blanks.
There is an excellent Impiltur timeline in Dragon Mgazine #346, written by Krash.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ahh yes, the adventure from Dungeon #137. I'm not the best lateral thinker and didn't see what the author had done here until other, more perceptive people wrote in about it afterward. The author basically did a Batman/Dark Knight rip-off and indulged in a huge, private joke. Yay for him.

Eric Boyd and I saw the adventure before it was published and changed some names to make it sound more Realmsian but we didn't twig to the joke in the offing. If I had, I would have told them to pull it or changed it lock stock. So, is the "county" of Moranay a fairly typical example? Not by a long shot. Self-indulgent rubbish like that is what I abhor in shared world writing.
I finally took a look at that.

Wow... I'd hate to see what the names were before you were able to change it up.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Nov 2013 13:43:08
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  14:15:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im pretty sure i included all of those timeline entries, the really juicy ones are in this thread though, especially the ones about Bellodar's March, Agrosh, Soneillon, and Eltab

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  07:35:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I have pretty much gathered everything i can from what sources i have (GHoTR, the sourcebooks and Candlekeep of course), i was just wondering if you had anything that you might be able to add to it that i might be missing (a big ask i know).

The only problem is it includes dates from GHoTR and everywhere else and is quite large so i dont know if i'm even allowed to post it here for you to see and let me know of any things i have wrong or that might be missing.

I have one, but it hasn't been updated for a while. My "Unapproachable East Timeline" has more Impiltur stuff in it than my "Impiltur Timeline". Go figure.

Why don't you e-mail me what you've got and I'll see if I've got extra stuff. Send it to: krashos@bigpond.com

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  10:54:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Email sent.

Thanks again George

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  11:42:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies in advance for the formatting. Can't paste in the Tables.

Ardeep

Ardeep was originally founded by the Naerlath moon elven family as a vassal realm of Shantel Othreier, centuries before the Sundering. This realm existed for just over thirteen millennia before being crushed under the heel of the mighty Vyshaan, rulers of the imperious elven empire of Aryvandaar. The last two kings of Ardeep in this time were Ilitharath and his grandson Tarosspur.

The Vyshaan actively hunted the remnants of House Naerlath to the point of extinction, to the extent that when the Vyshaan met their end, there were no males of royal blood to take up the Duskwood Throne. In that time, the surviving elven clans who identified as “of the Ardeep” pledged themselves to House Audark, the rulers of Illefarn, and were absorbed into that ancient elven realm.

When Coronal Syglaeth Audark of Illefarn commanded a Retreat to Evermeet and the dissolution of Illefarn in -1,100 DR, the elves of Ardeep called a Gathering where they elected Ruvym, leader of the Le’Quella clan as Laranlor of the re-formed realm of Ardeep. The rulers of Ardeep from that time are presented below:

Monarch Realm(s) Ruled Birth Death Reigned Notes

Le’Quella Dynasty

Ruvym Ardeep -1402 -794 -1100/-794 Clan elder; Elected Laranlor by acclamation; Dies of old age.

Edrym Ardeep -998 -592 -794/-592 1st son of Ruvym; Dies of old age.

Corym “the Tall” Ardeep -809 -437 -592/-434 3rd son of Edrym; Dies in battle with the Netherese Archwizard Cathalegaunt.

Eallyrl “the Dawnflame” Ardeep -586 -401 -434/-401 1st daughter (twin) of Corym; Dies in battle with the black dragon Brakabalnyth.

Fildaerae “the Nightflame” Ardeep -586 -395 -401/-395 2nd daughter (twin) of Corym; Dies in battle with orcs of the Braeskull tribe led by Gulmuth, "the Hand of Gruumsh".

Imdalace Ardeep -529 ? -395/4 Grandniece of Eallyrl and Fildaerae; Granddaughter of Tannym (slain by Cathalegaunt in -434 DR), older brother of the twins; Disappears on the summer solstice and never seen again.

Aloevan Dynasty

Embrae Aloevan Ardeep -190 - 4/308 Kinswoman of Imdalace; Chosen of Sehanine and Mystra; Driven insane by the silverfire of Mystra, but lives on as a spirit in the Court of Silver Fire.

Ruardh “Lightshiver” Ardeep/Phalorm 180 557 308/557 Nephew of Embrae Aloevan; Slain at the Battle of Blunted Fangs.

Ellatharion Ardeep/Phalorm 403 ? 557/604 1st son of Ruardh; Disappears in the High Forest.

Lathlaeril “Leafspear” Ardeep/Phalorm 417 612 604/612 2nd son of Ruardh; Slain at the Battle of Firetears.

Ardryll Ardeep/Phalorm 418 985 612/615 Nephew of Ruardh and last Laranlor of Ardeep; Commands a Retreat to Evermeet.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  11:47:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And lots more really bad formatting.

Tavaray and Elembar

Elembar was the first human realm of the North to come to an accord with the elves and establish a realm in the interior. Generations of Northmen had established settlements up and down the coast, but were prevented by elven arrows from forging inland.

In the two centuries after the raising of the Standing Stone, the rise of the infamous Shoon Empire far to the south saw a diaspora of Tethyrian humans from the lands of present-day Tethyr and Amn, most of whom travelled north and northeast, seeking lands to settle free from tyranny and slavery. The majority of those settlers founded settlements in what are now known as the Fields of the Dead and the Greenfields (although in bygone eras this region had a plethora of names: the elves called it Askavar which also served as the name of a short-lived realm of moon elves that fled the fall of Keltormir; the dwarves of Shanatar named it Tynnor (literally “field of danger”) when they trekked northwards to found the Lost Kingdoms, disliking its open spaces; and many early humans called it simply Olar, or “the Wide” in the ancient Thorass tongue, for it was the biggest open expanse of territory early humans ever encountered, surrounded as they were by elven forests and dwarven and goblinoid-held mountains). A courageous few, travelled even further north, lured by tales of fallen Netheril and the great elven empire of Aryvandaar, which promised immense riches to those willing to brave the slumbering dangers of these vanished realms.

The founding of the settlement of Tavaray by Clan Aulgaard of Ruathym in the Year of the Phandar (-50 DR) represented a new influx of settlers from the island kingdoms of the Trackless Sea, beset at the time by famine brought on by a series of bad fishing seasons and the depredations of drow raiders from Karsoluthiyl. This fishing and trading port soon assumed significant importance for coastal trade, forming a bridge between the mercantile kingdoms of the south and famed Illusk to the far north.

Beginning in 82 DR, Tavaray experienced an influx of Tethyrians in the form of religious refugees fleeing the persecutions of Qysar Shoon II. Among them were a band of worshippers of the deity Eldath, led by the Archdruid Elembar, who had fled their forest grove home in the foothills of the western Cloud Peaks after repeated incursions from Shoon-sponsored brigands who roamed the Ralamnish Ridings (present-day Amn). Elembar and his followers did not settle in burgeoning Tavaray proper, but established small grove settlements on the fringes of the Ardeep Forest. At first, the elves were concerned and the younger, more intolerant warriors, wishing to prove themselves in battle, urged Laranla Embrae Aloevan to lead them to bloody war, scouring their forest of the intruders and then in turn driving the humans of Tavaray into the sea. The wise Embrae counselled patience, noting that in ages past, other elven lands had sought to war on humans, only to lose or at best obtain détente when the elves could find no answer to humanity’s numbers.

In this regard Embrae was guided by visions received from the goddess Sehanine, showing her that her life and the future of Ardeep were now inextricably linked with humankind. She therefore began to consort with humans in various spellspun guises, manipulating and thwarting those who would do ill to the Ardeep, but forming friendships and growing to love those humans who were of a different bent; those who were committed to peace and harmony and wished to live in accord with the mysterious elves of the woodlands. Of those humans, Embrae learned to love and respect Elembar of Eldath the most. Revealing herself to him in the Year of the Quiet Valley (93 DR), she allowed him and his druid acolytes to travel freely through select areas of the Ardeep Forest (then much bigger and encompassing the open lands between the present-day Ardeep Forest and Forlorn Hills) following the clear forest streams to the site of deep springs which were used as sites of worship in the Eldathyn rite known as the Cleansing.

Within a (human) generation, the elves of Ardeep had established a trademeet in a clearing at the very south-western fringes of their forest and Laranla Embrae had established the Oak Pact with Clanlord Unndor Aulgaard, ruler of Tavaray, which acknowledged their respective territorial boundaries and formalised matters of trade and diplomatic ties. Through all this, the clarity of thought and measured presence of the now venerable Elembar was a boon to both the humans of Tavaray and the Ardeep elves, and his wisdom averted many conflicts as the years rolled on.

However disaster struck in the Year of the Jagged Leaves (114 DR), when the venerable green dragon Draeithimatar, forced out of his High Forest lair after coming to the unwelcome attention of the deadly Imvaernarho of the Star Mounts, descended on Ardeep Forest seeking to claim it as his own. The battle might of Ardeep whelmed swiftly and the great wyrm was laid low in a titanic battle above the trees when Laranla Embrae Aloevan and a host of elven knights and wizards mounted on spectral pegasi assailed the dragon. In its death throes, the wyrm’s venomous breath coupled with the effects of its shimmering spell mantle, thought to be of Netherese origin, devastated the south-central portion of the forest, leaving a desolate, poisoned uninhabitable scar. While the elves mourned the damage to the forest, Elembar of Eldath and his fellow druids, now gathered in the Stillwater Circle, set about healing the land. In a mighty weaving of magic, blessed sages say by the touch of the Green Goddess herself, Elembar brought life back to the blasted soil, crowning the ritual with the willing sacrifice of his own. That area of land, whilst healed, remained treeless and came to be called the Dragonfields by both elves and humans alike.

In the Year of the Prowling Naga (142 DR), the city-state of Tavaray saw the arrival of a fleet of ships from the island realm of Daerimathlor (a realm that took in the isles around the Race, off present-day Tethyr), fleeing the devastation wrought to their homes by the mighty spellbattle between their erstwhile ruler, the Mage-King Thaerdimor and the wizard Flaerivus Grevauldyn, who would become Magister of Mystra in 151 DR. Led by the warrior Caruth Darskul, these Tethyrian refugees were not welcomed by the Northmen of Tavaray, who distrusted them as “southern outlanders”. Despite settling at the fringes of that realm’s holdings, Caruth’s people could not abide the prejudice that they experienced on a daily basis from the folk of Tavaray and looked to Caruth to lead them to new lands where they could live in peace and raise their families. He led them eventually east along the south bank of the Delimbiyr, and when they entered the lands of Artor Morlin, Lord of the Steeping Falls, an initially tense first meeting of armsmen soon saw Caruth fall under the charms of the Baron of Blood. Morlin counselled him that travel further east would take them into dwarven lands and that the Stout Folk jealously guarded their delvings. He suggested that the clear fields between Ardeep and the Dark Hills presented an opportunity for Caruth’s people to claim territory of their own and told him the tale of Elembar and his great sacrifice.

And so it was that in the Year of the Pirate’s Port (145 DR), Caruth and his followers travelled north into ostensibly elven lands, finding the green expanse of the Dragonfields and settling there. The elves of Ardeep were perturbed but unsure of how to proceed, for these lands held no elven settlements or inhabitants as the Ardeep elves preferred to live beneath the tree boughs not under clear skies. In typical fashion, Laranla Embrae dealt with the conundrum in her own unique way. She marched into the human encampment, her spells preventing anyone who would bar her passage from moving a muscle, and called for Caruth to come forth. He warily exited his tent and confronted the elven monarch he had heard so much about. In an eyeblink, her mouth found his and that instant she whisked him away with her wizardry, only a fleeting waft of perfume to mark that she had ever been there.

Caruth was missing for a year. Every attempt by the humans to press on into the lands of the Ardeep elves was firmly rebuffed, although no violence was visited upon them. Spells of misdirection and illusion kept them confined in the Dragonfields and only those who trekked south and west back to Tavaray and the coast were allowed passage. In the first bloom of spring, Caruth returned to his people. Less proud in his bearing and with the first signs of age on his hitherto ebon locks, Caruth wore a hauberk of fine elven mail, bore a sword of exquisite workmanship, and talked of elves, peace and his love for Laranla Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep. Days later, when he planted the scarlet chimera standard of his clan in the turf before his assembled people, he proclaimed the establishment of the Darskul dynasty and the founding of the realm of Elembar, named for the man who had shown the elves that humans could live as one with the People.

The rulers of Tavaray are presented below:

Monarch Realm Ruled Birth Death Reigned Notes

Aulgaard Dynasty

Threlgar, “the Stormborn” Tavaray -112 -11 -50/-21 Clan elder; Leads his people from Ruathym and founds Tavaray at the mouth of the River Delimbiyr; Dies of old age.

Ruulf Tavaray -73 -1 -21/-1 2nd son of Threlgar; Dies in battle with trolls.

Brandur, “the Flamespear” Tavaray -48 12 -1/12 1st son of Ruulf; Lost in an expedition to eradicate the trolls of the southern forests.

Skorgal Tavaray -19 39 12/39 3rd son of Brandur; Dies of winterchill fever.

Framar, “the Grim” Tavaray 7 51 39/51 Son and sole heir of Skorgal; Lost at sea after a great storm.

Halthar Tavaray 30 92 51/92 1st son of Framar; Dies of old age.

Jarulf, “the Ill-Fated” Tavaray 55 92(?) 92 1st son of Halthar; Spell-cursed by the wizard Suul of Illusk to involuntarily change shape at every highsun, Jarulf disappears after a few months on the throne, with most believing him dead by his own hand.

Unndor Tavaray 60 114 92/114 2nd son of Halthar; Dies in battle with trolls.

Lornil Tavaray 89 145 114/145 3rd son of Unndor; Slain by assassins whilst visiting the holding of his vassal Uth Myrmoran.

Helgart, “Longstride” Tavaray 116 ? 145/154 1st son of Lornil; Famed traveller who treks north with a group of retainers and braves the dangers of Undermountain, never to be seen again.

Draagar Tavaray 121 160 154/160 2nd son of Lornil; Dies of winterchill fever.

Ragnar, “the Beardless” Tavaray 142 182 160/182 1st son of Draagar; Slain in the blood feud that erupts between the Darskuls and the Aumars, who are driven out of Tavaray.

Evald, “the Brave” Tavaray 162 242 182/225 Son and sole heir of Ragnar; Rides to war with the elves of Ardeep against the orc horde of Gluthtor and is slain at the Battle of Hungry Arrows.

Ingmar, “the Foolish” Tavaray 191 270 225/270 2nd son of Evald; Dies of old age.

Narthel Tavaray 218 275 270/275 Son and sole heir of Ingmar; Dies after a fall from a horse.

Erundar Tavaray 233 281 275/281 Son and sole heir of Narthel; Dies of plague.

Agundar Tavaray 256 338 281/302 Son and sole heir of Erundar; Orders the abandonment of Tavaray and leads his people north to settle in the lands around Deepwater Harbor.

The rulers of Elembar are presented below:

Monarch Realm Ruled Birth Death Reigned Notes

Darskul Dynasty

Caruth Elembar 102 179 146/179 Clan elder; Leads his people from Daerimathlor in a great sea voyage north and founds the realm of Elembar and its first settlement and capital Delimbiyran; Dies of old age.

Caruth II Elembar 133 209 179/209 1st son of Caruth I; Dies of old age;

Davilarhh I Elembar 164 219 209/217 Son and sole heir of Caruth II; Dies in the Great Fires that destroy the Halangorn Forest whilst out hunting.

Farryd I, “the Fierce” Elembar 191 225 217/225 1st son of Davilarhh I; Rides to war with the elves of Ardeep against the orc horde of Gluthtor and is slain at the Battle of Five Falcons.

Prince Farryd* Elembar 220 228 DNR Son and sole heir of Farryd I; Dies before he can take the throne, some say murdered by his regent uncle.

Narilath [R] Elembar 195 263 [225/228] 228/263 2nd son of Davilarhh I; Regent for his young nephew before he claims the throne; Dies without issue.

Larnorth I, “the Towerlord” Elembar 221 269 263/269 Nephew of Narilath by his sister Jhessail; Hires dwarven stonemasons of Dardath to build Delimbiyran’s first stone walls; Slain whilst leading his armsmen against an incursion of ogres from the Horn Hills; Dies without issue.

Caruth III Elembar 226 294 269/294 Nephew of Narilath by his sister Jhessail; Slain by Malarites in the Watchers of the North whilst travelling to the Mlembryn lands.

Gelidarhh, “the Tormented” Elembar 256 295 294/295 1st son of Caruth III; Born lame and with a withered swordarm; Commits suicide after learning of his wife’s adultery with his brother.

Davilarhh II Elembar 260 330 295/330 2nd son of Caruth III; Marries his dead brother’s wife; Dies of old age.

Davilarhh III, “the Bloody” Elembar 297 342 330/342 1st son of Davilarhh II; Dies in battle with the orcs of the Horde of Black Banners, leading his warriors in a valiant attempt to aid the realm of Athalantar.

Larnorth II Elembar 305 354 342/354 3rd son of Davilarhh II; Dies in battle with barbarians raiding south out of the Dessarin Valley.

Tarilath I Elembar 326 402 354/402 1st son of Larnorth II; Dies of old age.

Tarilath II Elembar 353 422 402/422 Son and sole heir of Tarilath I; Dies as a result of plague.

Harnorth I, “the Blackaxe” Elembar 383 442 422/442 2nd son and sole heir of Tarilath II; Slain by Ghaulantatra, the “Old Mother Wyrm” whilst travelling to Westdelve for the accession of Axelord Emerlyn.

Caruth IV, “the Greybeard” Elembar 409 499 442/499 Son and sole heir of Harnorth I; Dies of old age.

Harnorth II Elembar 470 511 499/511 Grandson of Caruth IV; Dies in battle against the orcs of the Whiteclaw Horde out of the Sword Mountains; The realm of Elembar is laid waste and its dominion is reduced to the environs of the capital Delimbiyran.

* Did not rule; marked for line of succession.
[X/X]: denotes a regency period

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 02 Dec 2013 11:58:59
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  11:50:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a bit more. A slightly more well known realm.

Athalantar

Uthgrael Aumar, grandfather of the famous Elminster of Shadowdale, founded the fabled realm of Athalantar, the Realm of the Stag, in the Year of the Murmuring Dead (183 DR). After a long and prosperous reign, his death in 216 DR saw the realm fall into strife as the “Warring Princes of Athalantar” vied for the throne.

The accession of Beluar in the Year of the Dancing Lights (218 DR) saw the ushering in of the reign of the Magelords until they were cast down by Elminster and his allies, led by the wise and loyal Helm Stoneblade, Knight of Athalantar. Elminster bestowed the Stag Throne upon Helm and his successors, and they ruled benevolently and well until the reign of Onthrar, “the Ill-fated”.

Onthrar suffered the misfortune of rebuffing the affections of the noblewoman Aratanta Orrspear, who swore vengeance and found it in a faded old tome in her family library, recovered from a tomb on the High Moor by her ancestor, the sorceress Arlathra. The “Book of Banes” as the tome came to be known, was a collection of spellcurses and dark rituals, which the increasingly crazed Aratanta studied with feverish and deadly intent. In the Year of Regretful Births (313 DR), Onthrar and his wife Tyril welcomed the birth of triplet daughters. What should have been a joyous celebration was destroyed by the vile sorceries of the now madwits Aratanta, who ensured that instead of giving birth to three human girls, Tyril instead gave birth to three infant hags.

Having to slay his own progeny snapped the reason of Onthrar that day, and he lingered on for a further year, a broken man, until he took his own life. His brother Faeram took up the rulership, but it appeared that the Land of the Stag itself was cursed. Harsh winters, virulent plagues and blighted crops featured with unceasing regularity in the years that followed until the roused orcs of the Horde of Black Banners swept down from their mountain demesnes in the Greypeak Mountains and laid waste to the land, slaying many of its inhabitants.

Most of the survivors fled east to Elembar, while a brave few, led by Faeram’s nephew Dorgild, trekked north into the fringes of the High Forest. There they encountered the Uthgardt barbarians of the Tree Ghost tribe and were taken in, losing all memory of their ancestry and the Kingdom of the Stag. These survivors unwittingly brought with them the Hag Curse of Aratanta however, and in the years and centuries that followed, the Tree Ghosts would be bedevilled by the sporadic birth of these abominations.

The rulers of Athalantar are presented below:

Monarch Realm(s) Ruled Birth Death Reigned Notes

Aumar Dynasty

Uthgrael, “the Stag King” Athalantar 152 216 183/216 Founder of Athalantar; Dies of heartstop.

Beluar Athalantar 189 240 218/240 1st son of Uthgrael; Slain by his nephew Elminster.

Stoneblade Dynasty

Helm Athalantar 181 262 240/259 Knight of Athalantar; Chosen to rule by Elminster; Dies of old age.

Elthryn, “the Young King” Athalantar 242 ? 259/282 Son and sole heir of Helm; Relinquishes the throne to go and live with the elves of the High Forest.

Roreld Athalantar 263 290 282/290 1st son of Elthryn; Slain by orcs of the Norglor tribe led by their chieftain Hurolk; Dies without issue.

Rindol Athalantar 266 309 290/309 2nd son of Elthryn; Dies of disease.

Onthrar, “the Ill-fated” Athalantar 289 314 309/314 1st son of Rindol; Father of the “Hag Princesses”; Takes own life.

Faeram Athalantar 292 342 314/342 2nd son of Rindol; Slain in battle with the orcs of the Horde of Black Banners.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 02 Dec 2013 11:57:50
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  11:52:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nearly done.

Calandor

Calantor was first formed as a duchy of Phalorm when King Javilarhh I bestowed this fiefdom upon his younger brother Faeldath in the Year of Trials Arcane (523 DR). The line of Faeldath took the name of Calantor from the ancestral seat of the Snowswords located in the foothills of the Forlorn Hills. This location was named after the elven ranger Calan of Merinth (a now lost elven village on the southern border of the High Forest, destroyed long ago by orc raiders and which was part of the now vanished realm of Pharren) who built a fortified encampment on one of the outlying hillocks, which managed to survive for a handful of years and became known as Calan’s Tor before a swooping dragon brought death and ruin to the settlement.

The dukes of Calantor gave steady and loyal service to the realms of Phalorm and Delimbiyran, embracing the brotherhood and accord between races that the former land championed and exemplifying the stability and leadership that the latter realm sought to bring to the Sword Coast North in the years after 616 DR.

With the death of King Davyd in the Year of the Triton’s Horn (697 DR), the Kingdom of Man was riven into a seething cauldron of ambition and intrigue. Pre-eminent among the nobles of the Kingdom of Man, Tarralin of Calantor was seen by many to be the logical inheritor of the Shining Throne of Delimbiyran, but his sudden death in 698 DR saw any chance of unity among the humans of the Delimbiyr vanish. Tarralin’s son and successor, the proud and overbearing Baroth, was disliked by most of the established nobles of the region, even where they had strongly supported his father. His brazen attempts to curry favour with gifts and flattery quickly wore thin, and his clumsy attempts to manipulate events to garner him a throne were dashed when one of his chief rivals, Lord Orlen Amanatas, was slain in a “brigand attack” that was all too clearly nothing of the kind, following the defeat of orc raiders in 702 DR. Reviled and shunned from that time, Baroth’s calls for unity fell on deaf ears and his ambitions died with him when he was slain in the great fires that engulfed the city of Delimbiyran in the Year of Doom (714 DR).

Baroth had changed the name of his ducal holding to Calandor, seeking to differentiate his time and rule from that of his predecessors, and the name remained with his passing. Following this, the realm of Calandor remained “first among equals” in the cluster of human lands that were formed in the wake of Delimbiyran’s fall, its rulers wielding not insignificant influence and power throughout the environs of the Sword Coast North.

The realm was eventually re-named the Duchy of Daggerford by Tyndal, son-in-law of the last ruling duke of Calandor, Maeran, when he assumed rulership following Maeran’s death. Tyndal had married Eleesa of Calandor in 945 DR and assumed rule in the Year of the Advancing Wind (947 DR).

The rulers of Calantor/Calandor are presented below:

Ruler Realm(s) Ruled Birth Death Reigned Notes

Calantor/Calandor Dynasty

Faeldath Calantor 482 550 523/550 Brother of Javilarhh I of Phalorm; Dies of old age.

Laernorth Calantor 518 557 550/557 3rd son of Faeldath; Dies at the Battle of Blunted Fangs, fighting against the hobgoblins of the Serpent Hills.

Faedathin Calantor 544 583 557/583 Son and sole heir of Laernorth; Slain by pirate raiders led by the infamous Black Alaric when visiting the holdings of his cousin, Duke Corvan Stoneblade.

Naroth, “the Grimspear” Calantor 565 611 583/611 1st son of Faeldathin; Dies in battle against the Everhorde.

Dornoth Calantor 592 645 611/645 2nd son of Naroth; Dies of disease.

Maernorth, Calantor 617 672(?) 645/672 Son and sole heir of Dornoth; Disappears along with his entire retinue in the vicinity of the Evermoors whilst travelling north to Silverymoon.

Tarralin Calantor 641 696 672/698 1st son of Maernorth; Dies in mysterious circumstances, believed to involve poison and the machinations of his son Baroth.

Baroth, “the Throneseeker” Calandor 664 714 698/714 Son and sole heir of Tarralin; Slain in the magical backlash that results from the destruction of the Warrior’s Gate in far-off Myth Drannor, which sets of a deadly conflagration and razes much of Delimbiyran.

Narothur, “the Ancient” Calandor 688 787 714/787 1st son of Baroth; Dies of old age.

Raenath Calandor 745 807 787/807 Grandson of Narothur; Dies of disease.

Gaerlan Calandor 775 847 807/847 3rd son of Raenath;

Borraur Calandor 804 870 847/870 2nd son of Gaerlan; Dies of old age.

Taroth, “the Terrible” Calandor 834 877 870/877 1st son of Borraur; Slain in battle with orc raiders out of the High Moor led by their chieftain Morog, “the Many-Tusked”; Dies without issue.

Laroth Calandor 837 899 877/899 2nd son of Borralin; Dies of disease.

Haelath, “the Scaleslain” Calandor 852 910 899/910 Son and sole heir of Laroth; Slain by lizardmen when exploring the ruins of Tavaray.

Baeran, “the Bold” Calandor 888 932 910/932 1st son of Haelath; Slain in the First Trollwar; Dies without issue.

Maeran Calandor 890 947 932/947 2nd son of Haelath; Inadvertently slain during a battle between the dragons Teskulladar and the great wyrm Cortulorrulagalargath.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  11:54:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And last but not least.

Scathril

The duchy of Scathril was bestowed upon Turvan Stoneblade, descendant of the last ruler of long-fallen Athalantar, by his brother-in-law Javilarhh I of Phalorm. Turvan had married Javilarhh’s sister Nareetha in the Year of the Unwavering Glare (510 DR) thereby bringing together two storied lineages of the North.

Turvan was granted rulership over the cleared region between the Lizard Marsh and the Trollbark Forest and his seat of rule was established at Scathril, a now-vanished holding on the coastal promontory north of the long-destroyed Seatower of Ilinyth.

Being of the royal line of Athalantar, Turvan and his successors were victims of the Hag Curse of Aratanta and it is thought that the dukes of Scathril slew at least a handful of hagborn progeny in the years following the formation of the Realm of Three Kings. Legend has it that the Lady Kalra, sister of Duke Turvan, fled Scathril in 548 DR when with child, dismayed at what the portents revealed regarding the impending birth. Kalra was never seen or heard of again, but the rise in hag activity in the northern environs of the Trollbark Forest over the following decades, point to a horrible fate for her and the genesis of the blight on the region that would in time become known as the Haglands.

The dukes of Scathril were warlike and eager for the fray, with at least five lords dying in battles for Phalorm. In the waning days of the Kingdom, with their lands beset, the line of Turvan was undone when three ruling dukes were slain in the space of three scant years and the hoped for heir of Baerild was hagborn. The Stoneblade male line was ended prior to the demise of Phalorm proper, and their holding absorbed by Haryd I into the lands of Delimbiyran, the Kingdom of Man.

The rulers of Scathril are presented below:

Ruler Realm(s) Ruled Birth Death Reigned Notes

Stoneblade Dynasty

Turvan, “the Grey” Scathril 485 555 523/555 Descendant of Rindol of Athalantar; Dies of old age.

Corvan Scathril 517 568 555/568 1st son of Turvan; Slain at the Battle of Silent Arrows.

Naerild Scathril 542 575 568/585 1st son of Corvan; Dies in battle with pirate raiders.

Laenril, “the Firescourge” Scathril 550 592 585/592 3rd son of Corvan; Slain at the Battle of Burning Leaves.

Malgarth Scathril 572 611 592/611 1st son (twin) of Laenril; Dies in battle with the Everhorde.

Talgarth Scathril 572 612 611/612 2nd son (twin) of Laenril; Slain at the Battle of Firetears.

Baerild, “the Accursed” Scathril 575 614 612/614 3rd son of Laenril; Slain at the Battle of Sodden Fields.

Apologies again for the formatting. Anything other than straight text gets butchered here at the 'Keep. Hope its been worth wading through.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  12:01:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it when the realms get a little bit of George lovin. I had just been looking at bits around Phalorm as well.

Excellent stuff as always

Alternate Realms Site