Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  12:34:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Princes Aliia was born in 909 DR and so was 17 when she died.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  13:28:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soneillon has had at least four documented offspring in the time since she was again unleashed on the Realms in the late 600s DR.

Gharosh was the son Soneillon bore when consort to Agrosh "the Scaled", sole king of the Tarrik Dynasty of Impiltur. Born in 728 DR, he was only a year old when paladins of the Triad Crusade slew his father. Soneillon is thought to have sent him to the Citadel of Conjurers in the care of the trusted Tarrik retainer Norras "the Spiked" when it was clear that the Fiend Wars were to end in bloody defeat for the demons residing in Impiltur. No further word of Gharosh is recorded and it is unknown if he ever actually was taken to the Citadel, as the Tarriks are known to have kept many secret subterranean holds in the Earthfasts.

Gharosh was described as being of normal size for a human infant, his skin of golden hue with patches of thick black hair on his head and along his forearms and spine. He had six-fingered hands and jet black eyes. His mother is known to have magically implanted in him a special ward token accessing areas of the Citadel of Conjurers, as well as some sort of magic token that enhanced his resistance to magic. He could converse telephathically almost from when he left her womb. While his fate is unknown, his demonic blood may see him live yet and whether he remains a servant of his mother or seeks to destroy her for his abandonment as an infant is a matter of conjecture.

During her time in Chondath, Soneillon is known to have given birth to twin, half-fiend girls fathered by the archmage Whinonas Ferentier. Born in 857 DR, the twins were named Arasha and Thaeril and grew swiftly to adulthood. They were described by the mercenary general Olmorn of Arrabar as "stunningly beautiful, wilful, petulant and smelling of ashes and death". Taught by their father, both grew skilful in the Art, able to use several spells of the Enchantment school seemingly at will. With the advent of the Rotting War, Arasha is thought to have attempted to plumb the depths of her infernal heritage, seeking to summon aid from the might demon prince Graz'zt. His price is thought to have been her submission to him as consort, and it is likely that she now lives in the Abyss in one of Graz'zt's many pleasure palaces.

Thaeril's fate was altogether different. Seduced by the power inherent in the Netherese magic trove her father discovered, harnessed and unleashed to conquer all of Chondath, Thaeril is thought to have fallen afoul of a spelltrap item akin to a mirror of life trapping (but with the ability to use the trapped individual's magical ability by the wielder of that item) known as Mordanon's Scepter for the archwizard who crafted three such items millenia ago on the shores of the Narrow Sea. The unscrupulous Whinonas is thought to have used the scepter himself to enhance his magical ability (and may in fact have intentionally caused Thaeril to be trapped by the item in question), but with his death, the whereabouts of the scepter are lost. Thaeril likely lives on as a sentient creature trapped in this magic item and is probably quite insane, but still possessed of magical knowledge that could destroy kingdoms if a means to release her could be discovered.

Soneillon's only other known child was born in 1358 DR during the Time of Troubles. The child's father was a hobgoblin warleader of the Giantspire tribes and the child is known as Vhost, or "death" in the hobgoblin tongue. Huge, muscled and betraying little of his fiendish heritage, Vhost is Soneillon's envoy to the tribes and speaks with her voice as well as being her bodyguard and manservant. He speaks seldom, is rumoured to have some spell-like abilities and can spit a virulent poison that damages on contact. It is not known what role Soneillon plans for Vhost, but it is thought that when the hobgoblin tide of the Giantspires surges forth, it is not only the lands of Impiltur that will come under threat.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 25 Aug 2013 18:11:31
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  14:25:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  14:52:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the speedy response, once again.

And just WOW about the other lore. I can SO use most of that in what I am currently working on (Impiltur is actually becoming a major power and focal point in my Misbegotten Realms campaign... amazing how just swapping its geographic location with Turmish changed everything).

Here I was trying to find a way to tie a 'return of the king' scenario into the lost bloodline, and you handed me the tools to do quite a few other things with my blended setting.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Aug 2013 14:52:42
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  18:09:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad that it's useful.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  19:36:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it when you have musings on things, especially when it involves Soneillon and Impiltur. I will definitely be using Vhost, although I swear I have heard that name before in a sourcebook. That Whinonas guy sounds thoroughly dastardly.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  00:33:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I love it when you have musings on things, especially when it involves Soneillon and Impiltur. I will definitely be using Vhost, although I swear I have heard that name before in a sourcebook. That Whinonas guy sounds thoroughly dastardly.

You're probably thinking of Vhostym, the Sojourner, from Paul Kemp's novels.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  14:56:41  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can only repeat, awfully nice lore there.

thanks for that!!
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  15:27:09  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello George,

Having recently red the trilogy about the dragon rage, do not remember the name, but a dragon vampire named brimstone and a hakf golem in there, i have been windering what it is with the hobgoblins of the grey forest.
they are recruited by the evil odragon side as usual, but what i was surprised about is that they are described almost as savages.
So is it right that these tribes inthe grey forest are no descendants from the haekruckh ones or have they simply fallen in barbary?
Any information is as always highly appreciated.

Thanks
JK
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  17:10:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
love the Thaeril / Whinonas piece. Definitely would make the "Mordanon's Scepter" into an intelligent magic item using the rules for intelligent items from the Book of Eldritch Magic 3. Let the item talk, possibly attack on its own, etc.....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  04:49:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Dawn Ages, called by by some sages the Time of Dragons, the lands of modern-day Aglarond, Thesk, Ashanath, the Great Dale, Narfell and Impiltur were covered by a huge, nameless forest, of which the Yuirwood, the Forest of Lethyr and the Rawlinswood are the only surviving remnants. Primitive human tribes roamed this great forest, safe on the whole from the attention of the great dragons and later the giants who ruled.

Of these tribes, history has provided us with only a single name - the Yuir - and much of what we know about them comes from the unique means by which the Yuir, their history and some of their gods were subsumed into the historical record of the elves.

This grouping of human tribes, whom sages refer to as the Arthraen (from a bastardization of an elvish term for "forest hunters") had lived in the forests for millennia, eking out an existence whilst striving to avoid the predations of first the sarrukh of Okoth - who had a presence on what is now known as the Thaymount, which may have been a stronghold of the Ba'etith - and then the dragons and the giants who would raid the forests for food and slaves.

Elven history and the unique interactions between the elves who first came to the modern-day Yuirwood and the indigenous human population there, preserved some of the gods of the Arthraen. Those gods were Magnar, Relkath, Zandilar, Elikarashae and the Simbul. There were at least five others worshipped by the Yuir and assumedly by the the other humans of the forest lands. Their names and their areas of deific influence are lost to history. Sages and loremasters postulate that the known gods of the Arthraen had the following rough 'portfolios':

Relkath - nature
Magnar - war and strength
Zandilar - love and passion
Elikarashae - hunting and survival
Simbul - fate

It is thought that the Arthraen had gods for the sky/weather, hearth/home and tribal/familial life, and evil/darkness, but this is just postulation on the part of sages.

The last cohesive remnant of the humans known as the Arthraen were the ancient Nar. They turned away from the worship of their ancient gods and fell to venerating the dark powers of the Abyss. This occurred following their exposure to the horrors of Narathmault, the Dark Pit, known to modern historians as Dun Tharos. With the advent of their demon worship, all record of the ancient gods of the Arthraen was erased, save for what had been preserved in the Yuirwood.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 07 Sep 2013 05:02:03
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  04:58:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

Hello George,

Having recently red the trilogy about the dragon rage, do not remember the name, but a dragon vampire named brimstone and a hakf golem in there, i have been windering what it is with the hobgoblins of the grey forest.
they are recruited by the evil odragon side as usual, but what i was surprised about is that they are described almost as savages.
So is it right that these tribes inthe grey forest are no descendants from the haekruckh ones or have they simply fallen in barbary?
Any information is as always highly appreciated.

Thanks
JK

Hi Jakuta Khan

The hobgoblins of the modern-day Grey Forest were remnants of the horde that assaulted the lands of Impiltur in 1095 DR. Located there and in areas of the nearby Earthfast Mountains, their small numbers and relative isolation saw them slide slowly into a more barbaric existence than most hobgoblin communities, typified by the name they adopted for themselves, which was the "Naerk" or "lost" in their tongue. This slide was compounded by a loss of their shamanic traditions and more lip service than significant worship of Malglubiyet.

Hope this helps.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  03:20:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

In the Dawn Ages, called by by some sages the Time of Dragons, the lands of modern-day Aglarond, Thesk, Ashanath, the Great Dale, Narfell and Impiltur were covered by a huge, nameless forest, of which the Yuirwood, the Forest of Lethyr and the Rawlinswood are the only surviving remnants. Primitive human tribes roamed this great forest, safe on the whole from the attention of the great dragons and later the giants who ruled.

Of these tribes, history has provided us with only a single name - the Yuir - and much of what we know about them comes from the unique means by which the Yuir, their history and some of their gods were subsumed into the historical record of the elves.

This grouping of human tribes, whom sages refer to as the Arthraen (from a bastardization of an elvish term for "forest hunters") had lived in the forests for millennia, eking out an existence whilst striving to avoid the predations of first the sarrukh of Okoth - who had a presence on what is now known as the Thaymount, which may have been a stronghold of the Ba'etith - and then the dragons and the giants who would raid the forests for food and slaves.

Elven history and the unique interactions between the elves who first came to the modern-day Yuirwood and the indigenous human population there, preserved some of the gods of the Arthraen. Those gods were Magnar, Relkath, Zandilar, Elikarashae and the Simbul. There were at least five others worshipped by the Yuir and assumedly by the the other humans of the forest lands. Their names and their areas of deific influence are lost to history. Sages and loremasters postulate that the known gods of the Arthraen had the following rough 'portfolios':

Relkath - nature
Magnar - war and strength
Zandilar - love and passion
Elikarashae - hunting and survival
Simbul - fate

It is thought that the Arthraen had gods for the sky/weather, hearth/home and tribal/familial life, and evil/darkness, but this is just postulation on the part of sages.

The last cohesive remnant of the humans known as the Arthraen were the ancient Nar. They turned away from the worship of their ancient gods and fell to venerating the dark powers of the Abyss. This occurred following their exposure to the horrors of Narathmault, the Dark Pit, known to modern historians as Dun Tharos. With the advent of their demon worship, all record of the ancient gods of the Arthraen was erased, save for what had been preserved in the Yuirwood.

-- George Krashos

The question becomes were these "gods"/Estelar OR were they "gods"/Archfey?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  08:31:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I'm not a huge fan of the 4E push for and shoehorning of Archfey and primordials into the deific mix of the Realms, in my setting they would be what you call "Estelar". Nothing in the sources about the Yuir gods supports the proposition that they were anything but a standard roster of deities, no different to the pantheon generated by the Netherese.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  11:05:37  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, I've been writing down questions to ask you in a notebook as they come to me. I have many (at least 10 or so), but I'll just stick to some of the more pressing ones for me:
1) I feel like this may potentially be a stupid question, but I couldn't recall reading a specific answer, but do cities like Lyrabar or Sarshel have a militia or a town watch, or is the peace kept purely by the Warswords?
2) Now I haven't, nor do I intend to read "The Crimson Gold", so I know nothing of Thazienne Uskreven and her apparent abilities to casually take on demon lords, but after their big battle, what ends up happening to Hadryllis?
I suppose on a side note, how do you feel about Hadryllis's recent bout with Eltab?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  12:06:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lukas

The major cities of Impiltur along the Easting Coast all have the equivalent of a town watch or local constabulary. Lyrabar has the biggest (about 1000) while Dilpur has the smallest (about 300). All of these cities also have Warsword barracks on the outskirts that can call on up to 4 'warpoints' of the Warswords (a 'warpoint' is a force of 250 warblades, 5 warswords, and an alorn leader. Four warpoints make a 'warspear', which is led by a Highsword - see "Power of Faerun", p.29). This should be contrasted with the term 'swordpoint', which is used for a hired blade working for the Impiltur military. Impiltur doesn't have a huge standing army and has always been reliant on mercenaries to make up numbers in a crisis.

I have read "The Crimson Gold" and it doesn't feature the sword Hadryllis. Tazi Uskreven kills a human 'host' for the demonlord Eltab and he is once again vanquished (without the destruction of the Adamantine Binding, he can't be truly banished from Faerun - he justs gets sent to a demoncyst, thereby trapping him again as per the write up in "Champions of Ruin"). Hadryllis has its own write-up in the "Champions of Valor" sourcebook (p.65) for which you can thank Eric Boyd. He noted its presence in the adventure contained in the "Spellbound" boxed set but didn't come up with anything definitive on its current whereabouts. This was left up in the air on purpose for DMs to use the item in their own campaigns however they wished. So how do I feel about Hadryllis' recent bout with Eltab? Just as fine as I did the first time I read the "Spellbound" boxed set.

Keep the questions coming. I really do enjoy this stuff. Thanks for taking an interest.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 06 Oct 2015 13:14:32
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  01:09:36  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know about Hadryllis's involvement in "Spellbound", so I'm excited to read through that. I had some information mixed up in my head, so I thank you for setting me straight on that since I'm in the beginning stages of a campaign which I would love to eventually have explore some of the major issues which are sort of "behind the scenes" (and indeed the players will find that they will be involved with certain major powers whether or not they ever discover the who's and why's). I figured Hadryllis's future was left open as a tool for GMs, but I got mixed up on its more recent involvement it seems.
I know I've looked at the handy table in "Power of Faerun", but I must've skipped over the part you're referring to. I shall reread it and take notes.

Well, I shall take it as an invitation to ask more then! I have a small question, and a larger one:
1) I get that Eltab is an entity driven by a very deep-set and burning rage and vengeance, but with 28 intelligence and 24 wisdom, I feel like he's occasionally portrayed as too quick-to-action and overlooks things; I would figure he'd have some intense intuition. I mean, I get that he's an alien being, so defining his nature is somewhat difficult, but I feel like he should at least heavily suspect that Soneillon isn't on his side. What are your thoughts, great Loremaster? (I, of course, mean absolutely no disrespect. Sometimes I come off a little more dicky than I mean to).
On another side note: Ndulu is no longer an Eltab-supporter/lieutenant is he?
2) Is the Belfry of Battle a temple to Tempus in the same way that the Towers of Lamentation are to Ilmater? I can't recall reading anything on it.

I was rushed so I didn't get a chance to proofread this. Hopefully it all makes sense. Thanks for any and all help, Mr. Krashos.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  06:15:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Well, I shall take it as an invitation to ask more then! I have a small question, and a larger one:

Sure thing. Just one rule: I'm George, not Mr Krashos.

quote:

1) I get that Eltab is an entity driven by a very deep-set and burning rage and vengeance, but with 28 intelligence and 24 wisdom, I feel like he's occasionally portrayed as too quick-to-action and overlooks things; I would figure he'd have some intense intuition. I mean, I get that he's an alien being, so defining his nature is somewhat difficult, but I feel like he should at least heavily suspect that Soneillon isn't on his side. What are your thoughts, great Loremaster? (I, of course, mean absolutely no disrespect. Sometimes I come off a little more dicky than I mean to).

Eltab is well ... frustrated. So his high Intelligence and Wisdom don't change the fact that his overwhelming driver is to be free to return to the Abyss. Oh and kill everyone who has put him in this predicament for the last 1500 or so years. He is the victim of a millennia plus backstab by the demon prince Fraz-Urb'luu (which Fraz has pinned on Orcus) and has come oh so close on at least three occasion to escaping his imprisonment. He's not a fool, but he's not in control of his situation so that means his desperation sees him take any chance to end his subjugation.

Oh, and where did you get the idea that Soneillon was ever on Eltab's side in the first place? Soneillon is ostensibly in Orcus' camp - and very much a free agent with her own agenda - and has never had much contact with Eltab. She travelled to the Citadel of Conjurers during the Fiend Wars and pledged herself to his service, but that was just lip service to a disembodied Eltab projecting himself out of the Hall of the Hidden Throne. When she realised just how impotent he was/is, she hitched her star to another, more active player ... which brings me to your next query.

quote:

On another side note: Ndulu is no longer an Eltab-supporter/lieutenant is he?

No, no he's not. He was a trusted lieutenant and de-facto ruler of a fair chunk of Eltab's layer in the Abyss (in Eltab's name), but he realised that he couldn't stand against the other demonlords and princes if they came in force to take the layer for their own (the only reason it hasn't been claimed by Graz'zt, Fraz, Orcus or Demogorgon is that they constantly undermine each other and work to scuttle the other's schemes). Each of them has a presence on the 248th layer, but none can truly say they "rule" it. He still rules his patch in Eltab's name, but has no loyalty at all for his former master.

Ndulu's summoning to the prime in 726 DR opened his eyes to the vistas of opportunity available to him, away from the "big boys" of the Abyss. He hasn't truly been in Eltab's camp ever since and has allied with Soneillon (for a time), curried favour with Orcus - which enabled him to create the Moaning Crown of Ndulu - and now lusts to be returned to Faerun once again so he can establish a realm of his own. He learned much from his defeat in 786 DR, and strives to be given an opportunity to try again.

quote:

2) Is the Belfry of Battle a temple to Tempus in the same way that the Towers of Lamentation are to Ilmater? I can't recall reading anything on it.

Yes it is, but could best be described as a fortified abbey. It was created for my Impiltur article in Dragon #346 and is undetailed. Use it as you like!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  09:26:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

Dont know if you can help with this but one of my hobbies is fleshing out the more undetailed sections of the realm with as much published lore as i can find and then adding in my own ideas to give them as much life as the well known sections of the realms.

I particularly like to focus on the history (once you have the history of an area sorted the rest usually falls into place).

My current area of interest is Vaasa, which unfortunately has very little written about it anywhere. I have all the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition info about it, even the DDI backdrop article for Vaasa. The warlock knights are such a good idea i see no reason why they cant exist earlier (i stick firmly with 3rd edition rules and fluff).

My problem is that there is almost no history to the area. I realise that it didnt exist in Ed's realms and was tacked on later as the glaciers retreated, but still its almost as if there was nothing until Zhenghi arrived, and then nothing after he left.

I know you have worked with the cold lands / demon lands, the Impiltur stuff you have is awesome, and i vaguely recall one of the learned scribes here had an alternate version of the demon lands he developed. I was wondering if that learned scribe was you and did it include Vaasa at all. Also if you have any thoughts on the area that would be wonderful.

As for ideas for its past; probably that it was part of the giant kingdom of Ostoria that was swallowed up by the great glacier. I guess during the glacial covering it would be home to ulutians and probably dwarves (the descendants of whom might still survive battling with monsters underground).

For present day its definitely the most frontier of places. Fortified settlements where farming and business takes place during the day and everyone huddles together inside for defence at night. Even the more evil humanoids have to take shelter from the demons and monsters at night.

There seems to be a fair bit of room for intrigue here as well. The Talos primordial idea was alright, but i think it would be better if he was present long ago in the past so maybe he crashed into the ground as part of the tear-fall event, or maybe when one of the moons of toril was destroyed (i cant remember when that happened but im sure it was ages ago). He could have recently been discovered and the warlock knights formed from it. Perhapss when the tearfall event happened Talos specifically targeted Vaasa to gain access to or guard some powerful magic of the giants.

Orcus has a prominent cult following in the area (thanks to Zhenghi). Maybe there is room for Zhenghi's return, as well as a few of his children vying for power. I have notes on the cult of the dragon and the church of tiamat having presence in the area so they could all be vying for control.

Anyway any thoughts would be wonderful especially on history in the area, and if you know of any details of the alternate demonlands i would be most grateful.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  07:42:59  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hi Jakuta Khan

The hobgoblins of the modern-day Grey Forest were remnants of the horde that assaulted the lands of Impiltur in 1095 DR. Located there and in areas of the nearby Earthfast Mountains, their small numbers and relative isolation saw them slide slowly into a more barbaric existence than most hobgoblin communities, typified by the name they adopted for themselves, which was the "Naerk" or "lost" in their tongue. This slide was compounded by a loss of their shamanic traditions and more lip service than significant worship of Malglubiyet.

Hope this helps.

-- George Krashos

Thanks a lot again for this, George. Of course of great help. Explains a lot.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  15:46:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dazzlerdal, the "other" source on Vaasa you have heard about is likely the "Northern Journey" project. A great campaign source for the Bloodstone Lands and very much worth a look. That project's vision didn't match mine re the area, but nevertheless it remains an inspirational piece of work.

As for Vaasa, there isn't really much to say. Back in 2000, Ed sent me an e-mail with the following information:

In the 'original' Realms there were no Galenas (by that name; the mountains WERE there), no Damara, Bloodstone Pass, or Vaasa ... it was all ice, with little 'pockets' of high exposed rock and hanging valleys here and there, but otherwise all a sweep of icy waste.

So the Herald's Road was originally a trail up to some VERY dangerous but rich mines, and those towns and villages along it didn't exist.

Hope this assists.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  19:43:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I just happen to have the northern journey (no idea how, must have downloaded it many years ago) so I may take a gander for some ideas.

The giant castle above suncatcher mountain I may turn into a remnant of the giant kingdom that dominated the area millennia ago, just waiting for the great glacier to recede enough to uncover what I believe was called Kultakar in the Vaasa backdrop article. However I have no idea where suncatcher mountain is (I couldn't find it on any map).

So since you mentioned your own vision of Vaasa in passing, what was your vision???

I'm trying to make create an atmosphere of many different evil organisations vying for power over the region. Don't know if you have seen my Vaasa thread in the Running the Realms section but any ideas are welcome, indeed I could do with some inspiration.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2013 :  06:08:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Tale of (Two Subterranean) Cities

In -940 DR, Delzoun, the great Northkingdom of the dwarves, was rocked by the proclamation of Clanmaster Ilgostrogue of Clan Sstar that he would be leading a great expedition west to the forgotten delves of Gharraghaur seeking to reclaim untold lost riches. His grand pronouncement occurred in the wake of his failure to attain the throne of Delzoun, for that great realm's monarchs had ever been elected by a great conclave of clanmasters, with the chosen dwarf forsaking his own clan, home and forge to become "of the Delzoun" and to rule in the interests of all, not just clan and kin. And so it was that Dennin, son of Idrin, formerly of Clan Worldthrone was chosen to rule the Northkingdom by that assembly of longbeards, and the ambitious Ilgostrogue failed in his bid to rule.

For two winters Ilgostrogue gathered many young dwarves to his cause and in -938 DR, fully a quarter of the Northkingdom's population, 35,000 grim-faced dwarves, left Delzoun for the opportunity to obtain riches and glory. By the time they had passed through Dead Orc Pass and trekked west of present-day Sundabar, the orcs were striking at them every day and when they arrived at the site of present day Mirabar their ranks were depleted and exhausted. They had left in their wake a mountain of dead orcs that could feed all the carrion birds in all the Realms for a hundred years, but the toll had been a costly one. As they settled into the ruins of Gharraghaur, disillusionment claimed thousands more as they traded the rigours of the Northland road for the stark reality of having to rebuild a ruined city, while constantly beset by orcs, giants and worse.

The brutal trek had taken its toll upon Ilgostrogue as well. Denying the folly of his expedition and fighting to tread the deep waters of his own guilt, the clanmaster was no longer content with reclaiming lost Gharraghaur. Consumed by delusions of creating his own grand dwarven empire, he drove his loyal followers onwards, to the end of Barakmornolor and the great sea. Thousands of dwarves stayed behind, lead by Mirab, blood of Beldas, eking out an existence as they sought to clear out the ancient mineworkings of Gharraghaur known as "the Cut".

Ilgostrogue died happy when he saw the sea, believing in his final delirium that his vision of empire had come to pass. But those left behind him understood the true nature of their situation. The remaining twelve thousand dwarves were far from home, in a wild land where the weather can claim many more than the orcs and giants combined, and they feared for the future. Councils were called even as the first cold blasts of the long winter began, and the consensus at first was to return and set up around Mirabar (as Mirab's Cut became quickly known), but Beerkanstrogue, son of Ilgostrogue, planted his booted feet squarely upon the ground and called for the assembled dwarves to pay homage to the vision of his father. As so those dwarves, loyal to the last, worked as only dwarves can work, and constructed the city of Ironmaster. A tribute to Ilgostrogue, the city was located in a rocky valley not far from where the clanmaster first looked out over the sea, and stands today as a grim symbol of dwarven arrogance and resilience.

The diaspora of the Northkingdom's dwarves continued in the wake of Ilgostrogue's ill-fated expedition. Using Mirabar as a focal point, great Delzoun transcended its traditional borders and its dwarves ranged across the North, building holds for themselves and (for hire) for men and elves. In -786 DR, Grym, blood of Mirab, was crowned King of Delzoun, ushering in a glorious period of enterprise and expansion. In the wake of a dragonmoot that laid low the great red wyrm Kalamalos "the Blazefang", Grym declared that a great city would be built at the site of the dragon's lair, for earlier expeditions had found the hills east of great Glaurimm (modern: Mount Hotenow) to be rich in minerals and metals, including that most sought after ore: adamantite. For twenty long years the dwarves of Delzoun laboured, and finally the day came when King Grym proclaimed that Delzoun had become greater again, and had a new capital, the mighty underground city of Gauntlgrym.

The dwarves of Delzoun in Mirabar had traded with the elves of Iliyanbruen for centuries, and with the establishment of Gauntlgrym their ties became stronger still. In -763 DR, Laranlor Vaelath Never, ruler of Iliyanbruen, received assistance from dwarven artisans of Gauntlgrym to build a stout tower at the site of a human settlement destroyed over 1500 years previously, outside the forest borders of his realm. The dwarves were asked by the elves to build a special chamber, deep beneath the tower, to house a glowing, pulsating sphere, described as being "as large as a storm giant's head" by the dwarven master stonemason Durl "Rockfist". Elven explorers had discovered the sphere in the ruins of Illusk, hidden in an extra-dimensional space, and quickly realised that it was an intact, functional, but quiescent mythallar, likely placed there by the legendary arcanist Jeriah Chronos himself.

Laranlor Vaelath had King Grym and the artisans trusted with the work swear solemn oaths of secrecy regarding their labours. Sensing his advantage, King Grym advised the elves that he would provide the assistance as asked, but that the dwarves of Delzoun sought a boon in return. And so it was that the elves of Iliyanbruen agreed to bind the mighty Maegara, a slumbering primordial of fire and doom, to the Fiery Pit deep beneath the city and establish the magical connections that allowed the dwarves of Gauntlgrym to construct the Great Forge. Unmatched was the smithcraft and industry of the dwarves that laboured tirelessly in mighty Gauntlgrym, and storied was the metalwork produced by the smiths and artisans of the city. Matched only by the work of the Ironstars, themselves dwarves of Delzoun, but who had left the confines of the Northkingdom early in its history, wealth flowed into the coffers of the dwarves and their work became legendary.

The elves of Iliyanbruen had entrusted the study of the mythallar to their only remaining High Mage, the aged Teldoril. He passed to Arvandor in the Year of Final Fates (-689 DR) and the whole body of lore regarding the mythallar was contained in a kiira entrusted to his chief apprentice. When that wizard sought to attune himself to the kiira, he went promptly insane and fled the tower never to be seen again. Teldoril had become increasingly paranoid regarding the security of the mythallar and had woven multi-layered spell wards around it and the chamber that housed it. Missing with the departure of Teldoril's apprentice were the necessary command words to deactivate the wards protecting the mythallar, and the deaths of a handful of wizards of Iliyanbruen tasked by Laranlor Vaelath with breaching them soon put paid to further attempts to access the sphere. Given its location outside the borders of the realm, the elves of Iliyanbruen contented themselves with keeping an eye on the tower's locale using scrying magic and trusting to the strength of the wards to keep intruders away.

The location of fabled Illusk is one that had long held a place in the history of Netheril. As such, it was unsurprising that in the Year of Ancestral Voices (-425 DR) a group of Netherese settlers arrived at the location and re-founded the settlement after fleeing the depredations of the phaerimm. The now badly overgrown Tower of Teldoril was but one of many ruins dotted around the natural harbor and drew little initial interest. That changed when magic was detected there, but the elven wards stood firm and no entrance could be found. The tower remained inviolate for nearly a century when the archwizard Melathlar arrived in Illusk. The town had grown significantly larger and the decades had seen trade commence with the elves to the south and dwarven trading caravans of Gauntlgrym, which would appear every second season or so. Melathlar was the first individual in over two centuries to successfully navigate the wards of Teldoril’s Tower and when he entered the great mythallar chamber beneath it, he realized the prize he had gained. Eager to safeguard his newly-found prize, Melathlar set about establishing control over the mythallar and in the process harnessed its power to raise great walls around the city, establish powerful spellwards and to mould and shape the tower, growing it into a fitting abode for himself. In doing so, Melathlar met his doom however for he found himself inextricably linked with the mythallar, and the more power he drew from it, the more of his life essence was drained by the artifact until he was wholly subsumed by it and into it. His ultimate fate is unknown with some believing he was utterly and irrevocably destroyed, while others believe that he lives on as some form of quasi- ghost, bound forever to the mythallar and through it, the Weave.

The great, many-branched tower was known forever more as the Hosttower (for the word “host” is the word for “cursed” in Loross) and became the abode of the arcanist ruling class of Illusk, but it is thought that the mythallar chamber deep beneath remained inviolate, warded by both the magic of the elves of Iliyanbruen and further spell barriers created by the dead Melathlar. The general effects of the mythallar translated however into the tower displaying strange magical phenomena, an affinity for the spells dealing with translocation and the creation of extra-dimensional spaces, and occasional and evermoving areas of wild magic.

With the rise of Illusk and the slow decline of Iliyanbruen, it was only a matter of time before the humans discerned that the regular trade visited upon them by the dwarves of the region had to originate from a hidden hold somewhere nearby. Carefully at first, but with ever increasing boldness, the humans of Illusk sought to learn more of what the dwarves called Dundar (literally: under place – the name the dwarves used for Gauntlgrym when around non-dwarves). In -340 DR the arcanist Maerin was the first human to ever tread the upper halls of Gauntlgrym. He was granted an audience with King Besendar of Delzoun and after protracted negotiations it was agreed that the dwarves would construct an upper city for the humans who wished to live and work with the dwarves as well as create a site to facilitate trade. And so it was that the artisans and stonemasons of Delzoun labored for a further fourteen years to build Gauntulgrym, the upper city to the great dwarven city of the depths. While doing so they strengthened the defenses of the original city and put in place magic to prevent human incursion into Gauntlgrym proper.

For over two hundred years the dwarves and the humans lived and worked in relative harmony, although there was constant friction between the mistrustful “old guard” dwarves of Gauntlgrym and the humans and humanocentric Stout Folk who elected to live in Gauntulgrym above. All that they had achieved and worked for however was swept away in the great conflict known to sages as the Orc Marches. In their pride the dwarves of Gauntlgrym could not sit by and watch the devastation being wrought on the surface lands of the North. When word came that Mirabar was in grave danger of falling to the orcs, King Besendar rallied the clans and marched forth from Gauntlgrym to give battle. Such arrayed battle might had not been seen for centuries in the North, but it was all for naught. The orcs were without end and the dwarves managed only to blunt the horde before sheer numbers overwhelmed them. Dwarven sages describe these series of battles as “Delzoun’s Doom” or the “Blunted Axe Battles”, and the death of King Besendar and the flower of Gauntlgrym’s warriors spelled the end for their abode to the south. The orcs came on, devastating Mirabar, Illusk and then finally Gauntulgrym. Areas of Gauntlgrym below were sacked but the city itself remained relatively unscathed. The remaining dwarves, mainly women, beardless children and longbeards, were too few to hold the city and many took to the underways seeking the safety of other holds such as Mithral Hall, Citadel Felbarr and Melairbode, far to the south. The orcs were finally defeated by the roused elves of the Dessarin and the halls of Gauntulgrym reclaimed by returning humans of Illusk, but Delzoun was no more. The fabled Northkingdom of the dwarves, the pinnacle of dwarven craftsmanship and wealth, was now one with the ages and its great capital, mighty Gauntlgrym, was an empty city filled with ghosts and ruled by an empty throne.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 04 Oct 2013 09:45:46
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2013 :  06:30:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's about as good as it gets. Great read, George.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2013 :  08:59:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome as usual. Out of interest where did you get the mythallar idea and Jeriah Chronos from?

In some brief reading for the Neverwinter campaign setting it mentions Gauntlgrym being the home of a primordial that is kept imprisoned or asleep (i forget which) by the magic in the host tower of the arcane. This lore i note doesnt mention it but seems to fit in nicely with it.

Could the mythallar be a piece of the primordial itself that Jeriah Chronos enchanted to be a mythallar, therefore giving it a measure of control over the primordial.

I only ask because although i dont go for the later versions of the realms i do like the primordials and intend to include them where it makes sense and adds to realms history.

Also i love the explanation that there were two cities of gauntlgrym, and the explanation for how the humans came to be the sole inhabitants and why the lower levels havent yet been explored is inspired.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2013 :  09:43:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeriah Chronos (aka the Chronomancer) has been a Realmslore fixture for years now, dating back to the "Netheril" boxed set. I gave him a name as I really disliked the use of "Chronomancer", "Terraseer" etc. to describe famous Netherese arcanists.

I implied (but didn't state straight out) that the mythallar provided the power for the elven "control mechanism" used to bind Maegara the primordial beneath Gauntlgrym. I chose a mythallar as the lore never explained why the Chronomancer took such an interest in ancient Illusk and similarly, I had to reconcile Salvatore's prose which stated that the dwarves helped build a tower for the elves at the site of Illusk and in return they agreed to bind the primordial. I thought that there had to be something more than payback for building a tower involved, and came up with the idea that the dwarves helped them properly house the discovered mythallar and also exacted a price for keeping its existence a secret.

Glad you enjoyed it.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 04 Oct 2013 09:43:26
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2013 :  09:53:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brilliant as always.

I never really understood why the chronomancer was mentioned in the netheril book and in the history of the realms as he didnt really seem to achieve much.

This now fleshes him out a bit more and kind of gives me an idea into an important part of his background, namely his death.

I realise that all the arcanists of Netheril were anti gods since they believed themselves all powerful, but it takes a special kind of insane to refuse magical healing when you are at deaths door.

What if Jeriah Chronos found the primordial, bound him with the mythal and used that to communicate with him. Over time could the primordial not twist him into a rapid god hater in the extreme and likewise grant him power beyond imagining in return for his release.

At some point the primordial must have realised he was never going to be released and so when Jeriah was fighting the orcs maybe he surrepticiously reduced the flow on that power allowing him to be injured, and then although promising repeatedly to heal him, that healing never came, and so the chronomancer died.

Anyway, as always, wonderful lore, this will get added to my realms like everything else you write.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2013 :  17:10:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Superb lore, friend Krash.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  04:26:37  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was outstanding, George, and so useful to my current Neverwinter campaign.

Thanks, mate. ;)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  04:51:34  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is really great stuff. Love new dwarf lore! :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000