Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 3e FRCS vs 4e FRCG
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  17:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there anyone more talented than I who would be willing to do detailed analyses of these books and compare them. I think that it would be insightful.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  18:17:03  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, you young whippersnappers with your 3E vs 4E. I don't need a comparison to know the 1st-Edition Gray Box setting is better than anything which followed.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  19:18:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Bah, you young whippersnappers with your 3E vs 4E. I don't need a comparison to know the 1st-Edition Gray Box setting is better than anything which followed.

Well, yeah! But since 1st Edition is for dinosaurs ()...

Actually, I have copies of at least the grey box, 3E, Player's Guide (3.5) and 4th. Let me see if I have some free time for a review.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  19:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

Well, yeah! But since 1st Edition is for dinosaurs ()...

Actually, I have copies of at least the grey box, 3E, Player's Guide (3.5) and 4th. Let me see if I have some free time for a review.

You kids get offa my yard! We were playing D&D before it ever hit hard covers and had to have the word "Advanced" on it so one set of game geeks could lord it over others!

No time for reviews--I just wanted to come in and shake my cane at you.

Steven
Older than dirt gaming dinosaur and proud of it

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  23:11:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you played with a photo-copied set of Rules, too, eh Steven?

Those D&D books were hard to come by in the eartly days.

In fact, me and some friends tried playing D&D before we had rules, after just hearing about them.

I guess back then it would have been called 'playing pretend'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Oct 2008 23:13:04
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  00:04:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So you played with a photo-copied set of Rules, too, eh Steven?

Those D&D books were hard to come by in the eartly days.

In fact, me and some friends tried playing D&D before we had rules, after just hearing about them.

I guess back then it would have been called 'playing pretend'.
Lol. Before my wife started playing too, she used to say that I was off "playing house" when I was RPing.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  11:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Is there anyone more talented than I who would be willing to do detailed analyses of these books and compare them. I think that it would be insightful.

Or for an even bigger project, a full breakdown between settings v.1 through 4??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  14:02:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

Or for an even bigger project, a full breakdown between settings v.1 through 4??

I said I'm trying! Let me see how much I can do over the weekend.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  14:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I said I'm trying! Let me see how much I can do over the weekend.

Have fun with it

Edited by - Alisttair on 17 Oct 2008 14:44:50
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  16:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, yes. I was thinking of starting with the most recent and most drastic changes between editions (both accounted for with 4e IMO) and then working backward. I would definitely be interested in detailed analyses of each version of the setting/guide book.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  07:21:55  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A detailed analysis ? OK. Dictionary. Pictionary. Satisfied?
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  03:34:49  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

A detailed analysis ? OK. Dictionary. Pictionary. Satisfied?

Thats about right.

The setting is pretty much devoid of what the Realms have been about since i picked up the grey box those many years ago. I loved the sense of fantasy and history. I pretty quickly dropped the Greyhawk campaign we had going and started a FR one which continued on and off through 2e and 3e.

Now that setting is gone. There is a new setting. Its about as much the Forgotten Realms as Galorian or Kalamar is really. Only the names of some places (not all) are the same. Many gods are gone. Others are warped until they are not recognizable all for the sake of conformment with the core 4E. Pathetic really.

We have recently stopped playing the Realms. After 20 plus years, I am done with the setting. Lore has been stamped out to make life easier for some designers/authors. Its too bad really. I used to enjoy the Realms

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  05:20:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what I got so far. Just the statistics, of course. I'll be getting more detailed (lore vs mechanics, NPCs and their stats, etc) as I get through them.

1st Edition 'Grey Box' - 3 Poster maps, 14 internal (regional/city/adventure) maps, 192 pages split between 2 books
2nd Edition 'Time of Troubles' - 4 Poster maps, 27 internal maps, 288 pages split 3 books (also an additional 8 MC pages and 6 rune cards)
3rd Edition 'Return of the Archwizards' - 1 poster map, 12 internal maps, 320 pages
4th Edition 'Spellplague' - 1 poster map, 76 internal maps (although some are actual thumbnail-sized), 287 pages

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  07:33:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5e - a Blank book with a dedication on the first page to the 4e Design Team, creators of the D&D Game, and some suggestions on how to 'write your own rules'.

You see, they brought the 'make it up as you go' philosophy to a whole new level.

Oh... and some really tiny print at the bottom explaining how anything you write in the book becomes property of WotC.

quote:

Lol. Before my wife started playing too, she used to say that I was off "playing house" when I was RPing.

My wife was fond of telling everyone who called I was "Playing with my little men", including my boss.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Oct 2008 07:34:19
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  11:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My wife was fond of telling everyone who called I was "Playing with my little men", including my boss.
[/quote]

Now I'm draeding what my g/f will say when we are married

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  03:41:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The latest quick bit: Wordcounts of the various books/etc.

1st Edition: 145,000 (averages about 755 words/page)
2nd Edition: 225,000 (averages about 745 words/page)
3rd Edition: 310,000 (averages about 969 words/page)
4th Edition: 180,000 (averages about 627 words/page)

All counts were generated from OCR pdfs of the books, imported into Word and using the neat 'Word Count' feature under Tools. Word counts are estimates, having rounded down to the nearest 5,000 since scans would also pick up headers, image captions, etc. Table of Contents and Indexes were not counted.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 22 Oct 2008 03:50:24
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  11:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The latest quick bit: Wordcounts of the various books/etc.

1st Edition: 145,000 (averages about 755 words/page)
2nd Edition: 225,000 (averages about 745 words/page)
3rd Edition: 310,000 (averages about 969 words/page)
4th Edition: 180,000 (averages about 627 words/page)

All counts were generated from OCR pdfs of the books, imported into Word and using the neat 'Word Count' feature under Tools. Word counts are estimates, having rounded down to the nearest 5,000 since scans would also pick up headers, image captions, etc. Table of Contents and Indexes were not counted.

Looks like we were taking small steps forward then took a big step back. I'm wondering if the FRPG should be included with the 4E FRCG for total pages and word count though, because Player and DM info was all crammed into the same book/box in prior editions.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  14:22:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, after I get through the Campaign books, I'm going to compare the Player's Guides (PG2 - Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms [02142], Player's Guide to Faerûn [88647], Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide [21858]) as well.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  16:04:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, after I get through the Campaign books, I'm going to compare the Player's Guides (PG2 - Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms [02142], Player's Guide to Faerûn [88647], Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide [21858]) as well.

The PG series was pretty different. I don't know that comparing one of them to later books is a fair comparison.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  16:37:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The PG series was pretty different. I don't know that comparing one of them to later books is a fair comparison.

They are written very differently, but they all have Player's Guide in the title, which means they should be used by the player to learn about the Realms and the world in general. In that regard, I believe they are all very similar.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  17:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3e Player's Guide was the official 3.5 Update for the FRCS and not a Player's Guide in the strict sense of the word. That makes it different.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  17:28:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very true. However, I'm looking at it this way: it was a companion book to the FRCS, since it did not 'replace' that book. Much like the PG2 was a companion piece to the 2nd Edition box set and the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide is a companion to the Campaign Guide.

I don't expect them to be at all alike. I am merely comparing them separately because to include them with the Campaign Guides doesn't feel right.

Also, I'm not doing an in-depth review. First, I'm going through and comparing them scientifically (lore vs. mechanics vs. adventuring content). I don't feel qualified to judge a book on the writing and prose enclosed, but I do feel qualified to judge the content of what it should accomplish.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  18:56:54  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By reading this an obvious question comes into my mind :
- And for what reason has TSR and WIZARDS published all 2nd. 3d and now 4th edition FRCS,??? I mean why didn't you tell them that there is no need for another FRCS and a new edition??

now to the topic: I have all the FRCS and this of 4th edition is the worst of all in my opinion .i prefer the one in the 2nd edition, next the one in 1st edition, and then the 3d edition FRCS...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  19:57:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

<snip>

The setting is pretty much devoid of what the Realms have been about since i picked up the grey box those many years ago. I loved the sense of fantasy and history. I pretty quickly dropped the Greyhawk campaign we had going and started a FR one which continued on and off through 2e and 3e.

Now that setting is gone. There is a new setting. Its about as much the Forgotten Realms as Galorian or Kalamar is really. Only the names of some places (not all) are the same. Many gods are gone. Others are warped until they are not recognizable all for the sake of conformment with the core 4E. Pathetic really.

We have recently stopped playing the Realms. After 20 plus years, I am done with the setting. Lore has been stamped out to make life easier for some designers/authors. Its too bad really. I used to enjoy the Realms.

I agree... but I refuse to let 4e dictate "what is". My group is still happily playing 3.5e in the Realms post-1385 with no $ellplague and no major NPC deaths, and our PCs don't feel insignificant at all. It's probably because we've never met the big movers and shakers, apart from one NPC who was a PC in my old 2E campaign that my DM was a player in. He's a gnome fighter/thief who is now a major merchant in Waterdeep. We also had a quick encounter with the Right Hand of Tyr, the five paladin sons of the paladin of Tyr from the same old 2E campaign. They intimidated the party enough; I think it'll be quite some time before we meet anybody with a bigger reputation. Restraint is all that's needed, but that in turn requires (for some players) a level of DM authority that most DMs aren't willing to impose on their friends, and that's where things get out of control.

Anyway, to steer my post back on topic: I would be happy to perform a comparison of the first three editions, except that I don't have my 1E or 2E stuff with me. You can't pay me to touch a physical copy of anything 4E Realms, unless you're Bill Gates *and* Jeff Bezos (Amazon.com founder) *and* Larry Page and Sergey Brin (Google founders). I'm not sure how many billions of dollars that is, but it might be enough. At which time, of course, I would buy Wizards of the Coast in its entirety from Hasbro, resurrect the TSR corporate name, hire full-time all of the people who make the Realms great, and open up a new office in Ontario if necessary to give Ed a place to work full-time on Realmslore. The $ellplague would be revealed for what it is, which I will not do here (it's my secret as a "hire me to fix this" schtick when Wizbro realizes how wrong they've gone) , and everything would be reset to 1370DR, because I liked the Realms' Clone Wars, and I wanted something done with them. Once the Clone Wars plotline is resolved, we would jump ahead a bit, ignoring the War of the Spider Queen and the Lady Penitent series, not to mention the rest of that bit of sacrilege at the end of the GHotR. (Sorry, BRJ and Ed; you know (I hope) that I think the rest of the book is brilliant, if a trifle short... I would have made it the size of the Draconomicon.) Oh, and no more advertising on the back pages of books. The index will make a triumphant return to all books!

Anyway, that's my Best D&D Dream Ever. I guess I should start trying to wrangle that wealth...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Oct 2008 19:59:42
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  20:05:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

5e - a Blank book with a dedication on the first page to the 4e Design Team, creators of the D&D Game, and some suggestions on how to 'write your own rules'.

You see, they brought the 'make it up as you go' philosophy to a whole new level.

Oh... and some really tiny print at the bottom explaining how anything you write in the book becomes property of WotC.

(we really need a "paranoid" smiley) Er... Mark... are you sure you want to give them ideas like that? I mean, we could see 5e tomorrow...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Oct 2008 20:07:42
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  16:50:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the feeling that the next tidbit I have will generate the most ... *interest* so far:

1st Edition: 59% lore, 15% mechanics, 26% Adventure
2nd Edition: 74% lore, 10% mechanics, 16% Adventure
3rd Edition: 70% lore, 27% mechanics, 3% Adventure
4th Edition: 77% lore, 12% mechanics, 10% Adventure

Now, before you start in on the 1st Edition's statistics, I should point out that I judged any tidbit under "Game Information" to be mechanics, even if it didn't read that way. Due to the way 1st edition was structured, there really wasn't a lot of 'pure crunch' in the book, so I erred on the side of how the publisher labelled it.

And the 4E book really does not have much in the way of mechanics. So, even if the lore in the book isn't as high quality as the other products (MY opinion), they do spend a lot of time talking about it.

The 3E book is very high on mechanics, however, with the amount of feats, prestige classes and spells in the book.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  21:28:01  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's very interesting, indeed! I'd say that this 4th edtion must be something that anyone would like to get their hands on! Highest amount of lore yet!
Mark my words; that book will be a veritable goldmine of splendid, coherent, well-thought-through lore!

...I really need a 'sarcasm-smiley', but in the meantime, I guess this will have to do!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  02:04:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amarel_Derakanor

...I really need a 'sarcasm-smiley', but in the meantime, I guess this will have to do!
Heh. I've been pushing Alaundo for a sarcasm-styled emoticon since '02.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  13:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Some inspiration for that: HERE or HERE?

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  13:24:27  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Some inspiration for that: HERE or HERE?

The second HERE with GARY is p e r f e c t!!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  14:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have the feeling that the next tidbit I have will generate the most ... *interest* so far:

1st Edition: 59% lore, 15% mechanics, 26% Adventure
2nd Edition: 74% lore, 10% mechanics, 16% Adventure
3rd Edition: 70% lore, 27% mechanics, 3% Adventure
4th Edition: 77% lore, 12% mechanics, 10% Adventure

Now, before you start in on the 1st Edition's statistics, I should point out that I judged any tidbit under "Game Information" to be mechanics, even if it didn't read that way. Due to the way 1st edition was structured, there really wasn't a lot of 'pure crunch' in the book, so I erred on the side of how the publisher labelled it.

And the 4E book really does not have much in the way of mechanics. So, even if the lore in the book isn't as high quality as the other products (MY opinion), they do spend a lot of time talking about it.

The 3E book is very high on mechanics, however, with the amount of feats, prestige classes and spells in the book.

The thing with the 4E one is that most of the 4E equivalent of Mechanics that are in the 3E CS (specifically, what concerns the players) are instead put in their own book (the 4E FR Player's Guide) whereas 3E crammed it all in one book (hence my thought on maybe combining those two 4E FR books).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000