Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Realms Goddesses of motherhood?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  17:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Kind of an odd question here, but what if any deities of the Realms can be seen as goddesses of motherhood and family?

Just wondering because of a background detail for one character: his grandmother was a priestess of Chauntea from Mistledale, born about 1300 DR (this is pre-Spellplague Realms), who went questing for knowledge of healing and protecting children from illness about the time of the Great Plague of the Inner Sea. She traveled to visit various other clergies of 'mother goddesses' to collect whatever knowledge they had that could help.

Her knowledge did help end the Plague, at least in my version of the Realms, and she promised to return some of the items/relics she got from the other clergies. Unfortunately she doesn't get a chance to do so before she dies -- at which point her grandson has to take care of it.

So who would she likely have dealt with, and where are their main temples found? Shiallia's in the High Forest and Hathor is in that valley in Mulhorand, but who else? I'm pretty sure that both Berronar and Luthic would count, but I'm unsure as to any of the others.

Thanks for any help.

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  17:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely Yondalla.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  20:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it sounds strange, but you have to consider Lathander - birth is part of his portfolio.

For the elven pantheon we have Angharradh.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 24 Sep 2008 20:03:05
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  17:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Maybe it sounds strange, but you have to consider Lathander - birth is part of his portfolio.

For the elven pantheon we have Angharradh.

A male deity of bith? You are right about that, and it's kind of different too.

Thanks for reminding me (and Lathander sems to be tight with Chauntea anyway).
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  18:27:24  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd think that any deity with the "Family" domain might qualify...

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  19:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Untheric Diety Nana-sin.

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

Kind of an odd question here, but what if any deities of the Realms can be seen as goddesses of motherhood and family?

Just wondering because of a background detail for one character: his grandmother was a priestess of Chauntea from Mistledale, born about 1300 DR (this is pre-Spellplague Realms), who went questing for knowledge of healing and protecting children from illness about the time of the Great Plague of the Inner Sea. She traveled to visit various other clergies of 'mother goddesses' to collect whatever knowledge they had that could help.

Her knowledge did help end the Plague, at least in my version of the Realms, and she promised to return some of the items/relics she got from the other clergies. Unfortunately she doesn't get a chance to do so before she dies -- at which point her grandson has to take care of it.

So who would she likely have dealt with, and where are their main temples found? Shiallia's in the High Forest and Hathor is in that valley in Mulhorand, but who else? I'm pretty sure that both Berronar and Luthic would count, but I'm unsure as to any of the others.

Thanks for any help.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  19:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first name which came to my mind was Earthmother... but it only works if you live in the Moonshaes of course.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  00:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

The first name which came to my mind was Earthmother... but it only works if you live in the Moonshaes of course.

Thanks, but already I listed Chauntea. Earthmother is just the local 'Moonshavian' version of her, or so I recall.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:00:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earthmother was a completely separate deity from that of Chauntea, that is, until TSR cast a "mighty retcon" upon the six 'Moonshae' novels.

You have to take this into consideration, otherwise parts of the plot from the novels doesn't make as much sense without it -- mostly because Earthmother dies and Chauntea then assumes her position until Earthmother returns and forces Chauntea out from the druids that focused instead on Chauntea worship.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:01:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll note, also, that Brian James was never actually happy with that retcon, which is why he didn't acknowledge it in his "Moonshae" article. In fact, he hinted pretty strongly that Earthmother may indeed be a fey goddess.

By not acknowledging the retcon, Brian seems to have re-established the singular Earthmother as a divine entity unto herself with regard to the Moonshaes.

I've speculated that perhaps this fey Earthmother is merely "a partial aspect of the Land" [the Moonshaes] with respect to Chauntea's overall placement as THE land overall.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  05:11:34  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Earthmother was a completely separate deity from that of Chauntea, that is, until TSR cast a "mighty retcon" upon the six 'Moonshae' novels.

You have to take this into consideration, otherwise parts of the plot from the novels doesn't make as much sense without it -- mostly because Earthmother dies and Chauntea then assumes her position until Earthmother returns and forces Chauntea out from the druids that focused instead on Chauntea worship.

I totally agree.
We already discussed this in another thread about Moonwells : here

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  06:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, and here I was thinking Angelina Jolie was the goddess of motherhood. *shuffles and hides a stack of tabloids from his desk*

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  09:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll note, also, that Brian James was never actually happy with that retcon, which is why he didn't acknowledge it in his "Moonshae" article. In fact, he hinted pretty strongly that Earthmother may indeed be a fey goddess.

ooooooo! I wasn't aware of this. Was Brian's article published here at candlekeep, wizards.com, or in a previous (paper) edition of Dragon?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  15:29:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

ooooooo! I wasn't aware of this. Was Brian's article published here at candlekeep, wizards.com, or in a previous (paper) edition of Dragon?

'Twas published in #362 of DRAGON, on the Wizards site. See here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080110

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  17:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, really? I'm honestly surprised. I could swear that we were told that Earthmother was another name for Chauntea from the start.

OT, but haven't there been recorded examples of already-known deities allowing themselves to be worshipped in different -- sometimes very different -- identities in local areas for whatever reason? There's Set as Sseth amongthe Sarrukh, and I remember Talona being worshipped as a naga deity by another name, Ssthasine or something.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  20:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our beloved gray box said that the Earthmother "may or may not be an aspect of Chauntea" (Cyclopedia of the Realms, p. 17).

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 26 Sep 2008 20:07:40
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  20:55:35  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
reminder : Discussing the fact that Earthmother is totally, partly or not Chauntea may be out-of-topic and has already been started : here

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  00:53:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OT, but haven't there been recorded examples of already-known deities allowing themselves to be worshipped in different -- sometimes very different -- identities in local areas for whatever reason? There's Set as Sseth amongthe Sarrukh, and I remember Talona being worshipped as a naga deity by another name, Ssthasine or something.

Yes.

Some examples...

From Demihuman Deities:- "Although Ghaunadaur is a distinct entity unrelated to the tanar'ri lord Juiblex, the Faceless Lord, or the otherwise unnamed Elder Elemental God neither of the latter two powers is active in the Realms, and Ghaunadaur has assumed both of their aspects within the crystal sphere of Realmspace."

Read the claim about the Elder Elemental God in light of the fact that much of Ghaunadaur's writeup is taken directly from descriptions of the EEG, which is itself distinct from Juiblex.

Juiblex is a Demon Lord in the D&D core rules. In the Realms, he had some worshipers in 2e's Thay IIRC. When Demihuman Deities, and the other god books, were being worked on there was some desire to tidy up some of the gods, thus Juiblex became an aspect of Ghaunadaur in the Realms. Similar things happened to the 2e god of liches in Monster Mythology becoming an aspect of Velsharoon and Sseth garnering many different aspects.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  00:57:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Our beloved gray box said that the Earthmother "may or may not be an aspect of Chauntea" (Cyclopedia of the Realms, p. 17).

Chauntea's entry in Faiths & Avatars built on that, by suggesting that Earthmother was a more primitive aspect, a portion of Chauntea's essence, that was dedicated to directly overseeing the Moonshaes.

But with Brian's work in the aforementioned "Moonshae" article, as it stands now, Earthmother and Chauntea are largely separate entities once again.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  14:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The quintessential mother goddess is Luthic.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  18:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

The quintessential mother goddess is Luthic.

If Luthic is a Mother Goddess, then she's one mean mother.

But thanks for posting that, as I agreed on her status as a mother deity (and in terms of my specific argument, one who's clergy would have an interest in any knowledge that kept sickness away from the children they were nurturing).
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  19:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some examples...

From Demihuman Deities:- "Although Ghaunadaur is a distinct entity unrelated to the tanar'ri lord Juiblex, the Faceless Lord, or the otherwise unnamed Elder Elemental God neither of the latter two powers is active in the Realms, and Ghaunadaur has assumed both of their aspects within the crystal sphere of Realmspace."

Read the claim about the Elder Elemental God in light of the fact that much of Ghaunadaur's writeup is taken directly from descriptions of the EEG, which is itself distinct from Juiblex.

Odd, as I thought that Ghaunadar was the real name of the EEG from back in that Fire Giants adventure where we first met it (and the drow). Heck, when I first read Drow of the Underdark, my thought was, "So that's who Eclavdra was worshipping..."
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  19:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're drifting pretty far from motherhood when we talk about Ghaunadar (at least the kind of motherhood I believe the OP was asking about ), but, by the late 15th Century DR, Ghanuadaur is a greater god and master of a domain in the Astral Sea called the Dismal Caverns.

He reacted to Lolth's "arrangement" to have his previous drow worshippers forget him by becoming even more powerful, and now he's the patron of oozes, slimes, and abominations--he is particularly said to be revered by the masters of the Abolethic Sovereignty.

And to take us even further off topic, I think it's interesting to note that only three of the dominions of the Astral Sea are "single occupancy" in terms of deific powers: the Dismal Caverns of Ghanuadaur, the Supreme Throne of Cyric, and the Demonweb Pits of, well, I bet you know that one.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  01:19:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Odd, as I thought that Ghaunadar was the real name of the EEG from back in that Fire Giants adventure where we first met it (and the drow). Heck, when I first read Drow of the Underdark, my thought was, "So that's who Eclavdra was worshipping..."
Ghaunadaur [as the Elder Elemental God] was first referenced by Gary Gygax in G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King. Ed first referenced him as Ghaunadaur in FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Sep 2008 01:21:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000