Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Larloch... The man behind the veil!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  00:21:53  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After reading a lot about this guy, in canon material and on this forum I want to knwo the real deal about him.

I want to know what his real stats are and his special powers. I know for a fact that the canon material in Lords of Darkness does not sufice and so I ask my fellow scribes!

Any iformation on Larloch is greatly valued!

Also if any one know anything about his relationship with Mystra I would appreciat that very much also!

The reason for asking this is that I simply find his story interesting and just want to know more!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  00:42:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think he's ever been given real stats or specific powers, or that his relationship with Mystra has been discussed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  01:12:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When Ed wrote "He's probably a 46th level evil-aligned wizard right now", he didn't mean "This is Larloch's real definite level", it's a gesture to say "Larloch is extraordinarily dangerous, and in a different league from almost anyone else", just as he's portrayed in every other source.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  01:13:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Worthwhile Larloch sources include:- Lost Empires of Faerūn, Lords of Darkness, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, the Netheril: Empire of Magic boxed set and plenty of Ed's replies here at Candlekeep. These are entirely more responsible sources for information regarding Larloch, when compared to just about anything you'll learn online elsewhere.

See also the 'Tears So White' tale from the Realms of the Elves anthology for the "Last Mythal" trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  02:54:35  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

See also the 'Tears So White' tale from the Realms of the Elves anthology for the "Last Mythal" trilogy.

Yes, an excellent story
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  09:53:16  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all thanks... Ill try to look up some of it.

But... If his relationship with mYstra have never been discussed, what is then the generel idea?
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  10:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere that perhaps the only thing that would cause him to reveal himself and act personally would be a threat to Mystra or the weave. I wonder how would he react to the death of Mystra in 1385 and how would he cope in the aftermath? Despite the changes he's wrought to himself and the magics he has wreathed his body in I don't think the Spellplague would destroy him, his understanding of magic (IMO) is so near total that he could survive.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  14:31:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

But... If his relationship with mYstra have never been discussed, what is then the generel idea?

That whatever it is he's doing, Mystra agrees with.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  14:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an FYI, the most recent mention of Larloch in Realmslore came just yesterday in Richard Baker's article on epic destinies in Dragon #367, "Epic Faerūn." In the introductory notes, there's mention of "the dreadful lich Larloch--the most powerful of Faerūn's mighty wizards" (p. 17).

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  14:59:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Just an FYI, the most recent mention of Larloch in Realmslore came just yesterday in Richard Baker's article on epic destinies in Dragon #367, "Epic Faerūn." In the introductory notes, there's mention of "the dreadful lich Larloch--the most powerful of Faerūn's mighty wizards" (p. 17).

I'm so glad to hear that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  15:30:09  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am anxious to see what he is up to and how the spellplague affected his plans/sanity/powers.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  15:52:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some of Ed's replies on the subject would seem to suggest that Larloch is somewhat beyond the powers and perceptions of Mystra's Chosen. A few of Larloch's plots are "so wide-reaching, complicated, and clandestine that virtually no one in the Realms [including the Chosen] knows what they are." This could imply that Larloch simply occupies a "special position" that is all his own -- and not something that can be easily categorised with respect to his relationship with Mystra.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  16:10:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
[ A few of Larloch's plots are "so wide-reaching, complicated, and clandestine that virtually no one in the Realms [including the Chosen] knows what they are."

Thats exactly the type of plot that you would think would be affected by the blue fire, I also assume that Larloch has contingincies in place for most anything and it would be interesting just to see how some of them worked.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  17:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That whatever it is he's doing, Mystra agrees with.

Hmm, considering how her old lover Kelemvor feels about undead, that must be the source of some arguments betwene the two...
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  23:49:26  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About that... as far as I gather Ed created Larloch, but then again he created most of the forgotten realms. But why is he not mentioned in the Netheril boxed set??? I guy like him should be as important as Ioulaum or Karsus, if we disregard Karsus' Avater and Ioulaum's creation of the Mythallar! IMO!

When was he first mentioned(created) does anyone know this?
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  01:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO Larloch is "part of the landscape" and shouldnt really be given "beatable stats". Thats the same as Elminster and many of the chosen would / should have, but then the powergamers whine again about them being unbeatable and such.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  02:04:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

About that... as far as I gather Ed created Larloch, but then again he created most of the forgotten realms. But why is he not mentioned in the Netheril boxed set??? I guy like him should be as important as Ioulaum or Karsus, if we disregard Karsus' Avater and Ioulaum's creation of the Mythallar! IMO!
Errr... Larloch is referenced within the Netheril source [see pgs. 4 and 13 of the "Winds of Netheril" book].

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  00:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this confusion!

We need someone to do, "Larloch, this is your life!" (Like that old 50's TV show.) The only problem is, who'd be competent/old enough to handle it?
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:14:13  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... By the knoeledge of all the sages of candlekeep, We all know qiute a bit abount Larloch, but what I realy would like was for Ed to seriously tell us what this guy was capable of and wat level or somthing just anything a bit decisive! Cause I feel we lach some of Ed's real thoughts about him!!!

So Ed/THO please respond with some info that non of us have!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:30:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has long been a member of the "they are as capable as needs be" school of thought. As long as Larloch is doing his thing, what does it matter what level he is or what his specific abilities are? Codifying that kind of thing puts limits in place, and that's something Ed has avoided. It was also SOP for the early Realms; that was one of many design principles of the setting that got chucked out the window with 3E.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:34:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

And Nicolai, I suggest you read through Ed's previous replies on Larloch. They'll help you to understand why it'll never be an easy thing for one to simply assign a particular level to him.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:36:44  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, there is a Forgotten Realms Wiki entry on Larloch that hits the highlights for folks who don't know much about him.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  03:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But why is he not mentioned in the Netheril boxed set???
Apart from the fact that he is, that product is infamously far from an accurate, representative, reliable, or credible depiction of Netheril.
quote:
When was he first mentioned(created) does anyone know this?
First mentioned, I think, in the 1993 campaign set (Grand Tour p. 102), but created long before.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  09:56:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm... given his relationship with Mystra and his obsession with the Weave, we can probably assume that he (and all of his servants) exploded in the Spellplague... and if he didn't, then the new edition has consistency issues that even a break in the timeline can't avoid. If a complex full of enslaved liches doesn't blow up in *some* way when the gods of magic all die horribly, then Halruaa has no reason to go 100-gigaton either. This is why I'm ignoring "canon" post-1375. If I go any further, this will turn into a rant, and the subject matter would be entirely misplaced.

Oh... one more thing. As noted by the Sage, Larloch is impossible to assign "proper" statistics to, as was Halaster. If they killed off Halaster, they have all the same reasons to kill off Larloch... and I'm still amazed that they allowed Elminster to live. In a twisted sort of way, I'm disappointed by that, too. But then, they need someone to become the new god of arcane spellcasters and the new goddess of magic, and Elminster and the Simbul would fit that bill perfectly, particularly given the Simbul's CN alignment. Anyway, this addendum has gone off topic. Enough said.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  14:17:59  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the part about Laloch in the Nethiril boxed set, so I stand corrected, but not much is told about him. And as Im not changing to 4ed im only loooking for info based on 2ed and 3ed!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  15:44:19  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicolai,
Ed is a little busy right now; one of his best friends in publishing, Brian Thomsen (who ran TSR's book publishing program during its "golden age") has died and all the wakes, funeral, et al are going on right now, and if rumors are correct, he's guest of honor at a convention this weekend. He doesn't read these forums directly, rather one of his longtime players, THO, ferries our posts to Ed, and brings his replies back. The mysterious THO has employment that seems to involve short periods of Net silence and travel.
All of which means, if you want Ed or THO to weigh in on Larloch, you should probably ask for more Larloch info in this year's Questions for Ed Greenwood thread in the Chamber of Sages. Sometimes THO browses these forums, but you can't count on it. They may never see your request here.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  16:55:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Hrm... given his relationship with Mystra and his obsession with the Weave, we can probably assume that he (and all of his servants) exploded in the Spellplague... and if he didn't, then the new edition has consistency issues that even a break in the timeline can't avoid. If a complex full of enslaved liches doesn't blow up in *some* way when the gods of magic all die horribly, then Halruaa has no reason to go 100-gigaton either. This is why I'm ignoring "canon" post-1375. If I go any further, this will turn into a rant, and the subject matter would be entirely misplaced.

Oh... one more thing. As noted by the Sage, Larloch is impossible to assign "proper" statistics to, as was Halaster. If they killed off Halaster, they have all the same reasons to kill off Larloch... and I'm still amazed that they allowed Elminster to live. In a twisted sort of way, I'm disappointed by that, too. But then, they need someone to become the new god of arcane spellcasters and the new goddess of magic, and Elminster and the Simbul would fit that bill perfectly, particularly given the Simbul's CN alignment. Anyway, this addendum has gone off topic. Enough said.

Larloch is still aroound in 4e , he was mentioned as the "most powerful of Faerun's mighty archmages" in an articl by Rich Baker....I am sure some scribe can help with the title and link for it!

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  17:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is called Epic Faerun, simply follow the link.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000