Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favorite Supporting Characters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  17:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Keeping in line with this scroll though, I think that there are some interesting PrC possibilities that could be useful as supporting characters, or even as antagonists. For example the Aglarondan Griffonrider PrC could be useful for a novel based in Aglarond, or the Thayan Slaver, for a novel based in Thay.

A group of Peerless Archer's would have been useful in the events surrounding the attacks on Evereska, while an Illithid Savant could work well in an Underdark novel.

Many interesting possibilities...

I fully agree I think Supporting Character development is lacking in a lot of the tomes that I have read. Bringing in some of the new prestige classes would be great for smaller roles. I think that making the supporting characters almost as interesting as the main character brings a novel to another level. Example: the before mentioned Cleric Quintet. In my opinion, what made that series great was the range and depth on all of the characters.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  21:40:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the best current author for that sort of global character development is David Weber. I've mentioned him before, and he's (sad to say) unRealmsian. However, he's a good example of that sort of thing, and something I (try) to emulate in my own writing.

See, he treats everyone in there like a main character. Even if they aren't viewpoint characters, they aren't faceless. They might be nameless sometimes, but he gives the feeling that the extras are all real people.

A lot of times, in an author's writings, you can tell when a character will die. You think "this one's going to live. This one's just an extra, he's not going to be missed." It makes it all the more shocking when a character that's been around for five books suddenly dies when the ship is hit. Just because the character survived one book doesn't mean she lives though another. And it doesn't mean that it will be anything like an heroic death. Fecal matter happens.

He extends the realism to everything. After all, when you're tossing multiton warheads across hundreds of thousands of kilometers, in a battle where usually you can't see the enemy with the naked eye, it's unlikely that just the low-ranking characters die.

You have to admire that sort of courage; I'd have a hard time just dealing a senseless death to someone I've spent so much time on.

I think Salvatore's the only one to have done something like that in the Realms, and that's really just with Wulfgar. I'd really like to see more of it; not necessarily more death, but more characters. Keeps things hopping.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  21:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have to obtain some of Mr. Weber's work for review.

Another author I love and think has a great grasp on Character development is George R.R. Martin. His Song of Ice and Fire series is a prime example of what you speak.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  22:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mythander, just go here.

Baen Publishing is a very nice place, I think. They've posted a bunch of free books you can download, to find out if you like a particular author. Believe me, unless you're crazy, you'll want to buy a copy of the dead tree versions after this. Even if you don't like the SF, he's got two fantasies that are also worth the time it takes to read them. Trust me on this one. And when you're done with the free downloads of Weber, go visit another author.

::runs away at the sound of Alaundo's footsteps . . . .::

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  22:37:01  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My collection thanks you.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  00:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a problem . . .

::hears footsteps returning::

Okay, there would be a problem if Alaundo assigns extra work for this . . . butthenhehastocatchmefirstseeyoubye!

::He jumps out the window; a moment later, a large, silvery, winged shape flies away . . . .::

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 15 Jul 2003 00:14:15
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watches Bookwyrm fly out the window. Smiles and thinks to himself. A rouge Sage? Turns and check another shelf.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  16:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mythander

A rouge Sage?

I'll have you know I've never used rouge in my life!

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  16:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by Mythander

A rouge Sage?

I'll have you know I've never used rouge in my life!

Indeed

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000