Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 FRPG 4ed - Now with more Crunch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  06:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just picked up the FR Players Guide 4ed at my local Borders. LOTS of crunch.

Purple skinned Genasai with lightening cracking over their skin - Cool! (Please read that with sarcasm)

Aside from tons of Paragon paths and feats, there are a few Realms specific rituals and 50 pages of "backgrounds" information that duplicates a lot of the information in the Campaign Guide on the various regions.

Strangely, after killing off all of the Chosen, they included "Chosen" as an Epic Destiny.

Genasai and Warlocks seem to be favored, Warlocks even pop up on Evermeet

Paragon Paths:

Anarch of Shyr
Coronal Guard
Darkwalkner
Doomguide
Drow Wanderer
Eartheart Defender
Elemental Tempest
Evermeet Warlock
Ghost of Eventide
Heartwarder
High Forest Scout
Impilturan Demon Demonslayer
Morninglord
Purple Dragon Knight
Silverstar
Simbarch of Aglarond
Spellguard Wizard
Spellscarred Savant
Steelsky Liberator
Sword Coast Corsair
Umbriri
Wandering Swordmage
War Wizard of Cormyr
Whirlwind Genasai
Wildfire Genasai

This book is a complete waste of money for Realms lore, but if you want greater choices for your character's "powers" then this is a great expansion.

Edited by - Ranak on 14 Sep 2008 06:23:45

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  15:04:53  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A book intended to be crunchy has crunch?.....tell me it ain't so

The 3E version is as well in my opinion. minus the cosmology and campaign journal, the book is mostly filled with regional feats, prestige classes, and domain and spells.

Well, hopefully the FRPG will be worth it, mine is supposedly on the way to my doorstep.

Edited by - scererar on 14 Sep 2008 15:08:49
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  16:27:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I have the 4e FRCG, but I see no reason to buy this at all, unless I was planning to play a 4e game, which I currently am not.

Take the word 'Evermeet' from Warlock, the word 'Impilturan' away from Demonslayer, the word 'Purple' from Dragon Knight, and the word 'Cormyr' from War Wizard, and this looks very much like a generic crunch-book for any 4e game.

The new FR books are cleverly-disguised core books now.

quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Purple skinned Genasai with lightening cracking over their skin - Cool! (Please read that with sarcasm)

The 'correct' form for a sarcastic 'cool' is 'Kewl'.

Get it right.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Sep 2008 16:30:20
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  16:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Strangely, after killing off all of the Chosen, they included "Chosen" as an Epic Destiny.

Not strange at all. Since the Chosen were perceived as standing "in the way" of the players and steeling their glory, they had to got so that the players now can be in the limelight ...

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  16:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

The 3E version is as well in my opinion. minus the cosmology and campaign journal, the book is mostly filled with regional feats, prestige classes, and domain and spells.

The 3E versin was misnamed since it wasn't a players guide like the 4E FRPG, but the 3.5 update of the FRCS. So they had to pack with updated mechanics.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  19:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is even crunchier than the 3E version, which at least included more than a couple of lines on each god and some real background information.

The focus is clearly on "powers" over building a real character.

I will give it one, very nice thumbs up - in each of the regions, they provide tips on role playing a character from that region. For example, for Netheril they provide tips on how to role play a disillusioned priest of Shar (the church turned on you) or a Netherese loyalist.

It reminds me very much of the early Star Wars RPGs, where Scoundrel was a character class.

The idea is very, very rapid generation of characters to be instantly dropped into play.

I guess this is a good thing. As a masochist who enjoys pouring through books and taking weeks to develop a character, it doesn't do much for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:

The 3E versin was misnamed since it wasn't a players guide like the 4E FRPG, but the 3.5 update of the FRCS. So they had to pack with updated mechanics.

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  23:24:36  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got to read through it today, and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. The giant font and the ludicrous use of spacing put me off. To be honest, this would be a fine "Introduction to FR" book for anyone not familiar with the setting, but the whole book stinks of the new Duplo-Realms*.

The only thing useful in the whole book is the Kelemvor's Judgement feat, which my LFR character will pick up.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplo for anyone not in the know.

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  02:11:14  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They switched to a thinner paper, even though it is the same 160 page length as some 3E books, it feels and looks incredibly thin.

It does not convey any sense of quality. The first 150 pages are full of white space, then they cram 10 different topics on the last two pages that have nothing to do with one another.

Kid stuff...

quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

I got to read through it today, and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. The giant font and the ludicrous use of spacing put me off. To be honest, this would be a fine "Introduction to FR" book for anyone not familiar with the setting, but the whole book stinks of the new Duplo-Realms*.

The only thing useful in the whole book is the Kelemvor's Judgement feat, which my LFR character will pick up.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplo for anyone not in the know.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  17:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, that is an insult to Duplo LEGOs. At least Duplos are cool (got some for my niece for Christmas this year, trying to get her addicted early, like I was ).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  22:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have to expect that the tome arrive in brazilian shores... but I´m ok with a crunch tome. It´s good that they put all the crunch in one tome... but I´m sorry... I was expecting to see the Bladesinger as a FR Paragon Path...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  02:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a huge emphasis on Rich Baker's new Swordmage class.

Perhaps Bladesinger was too close or overlapped too much with the Swordmage. It is a cool class, you could probably give the powers elven names and call it a Bladesinger.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I will have to expect that the tome arrive in brazilian shores... but I´m ok with a crunch tome. It´s good that they put all the crunch in one tome... but I´m sorry... I was expecting to see the Bladesinger as a FR Paragon Path...

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  12:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich said (I think that was in the WoTC boards) that the Bladesingers will be released soon, IIRC. With this in mind, I was expecting to see them in the FRPG.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  14:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Rich said (I think that was in the WoTC boards) that the Bladesingers will be released soon, IIRC. With this in mind, I was expecting to see them in the FRPG.

Sweet. All this time, I was fearing that the Swordmage was just the bladesinger altered to allow any character to become that class and minus the singing

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  23:35:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm certainly no expert on the 4e rules, but going by what Rich has said - that the Swordmage was developed from Bladesinger traditions - I don't see a whole lot being different between the two, except for the singing and that one needs to be an Elf.

I'm thinking it will be something along the lines of racial 'Substitution Levels', similar to what we got in some 3e splatbooks. Not that that is a bad thing - I'm a huge fan of sub.-levels.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Sep 2008 23:35:38
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  01:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Swordmage is a full blown 30 level character class, the various sub-variants are paragon paths (Netherise, Coronal Guard, etc.)

Swordmage has its own utility, attack and at will powers. They do line up nicely with the powers presented in the novel Swordmage, and provide a nice preview of how that character might progress.

This class that is good at fighting and magic, it reminds me very much of an Oblivion character - plus, if they take the ritual magic feat, they can cast ritual spells. They can take a lot more action that the battle caster classes and prestige classes of 3E, but not as much as a 4e pure fighter or paladin, nor do they have the ally buffing powers of a warlord, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm certainly no expert on the 4e rules, but going by what Rich has said - that the Swordmage was developed from Bladesinger traditions - I don't see a whole lot being different between the two, except for the singing and that one needs to be an Elf.

I'm thinking it will be something along the lines of racial 'Substitution Levels', similar to what we got in some 3e splatbooks. Not that that is a bad thing - I'm a huge fan of sub.-levels.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  02:36:44  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just received my copy. 1st quick look through looks great. Kids running around right now and will not be able to delve into this much, but nice compliment to the FRCG.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  04:58:44  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The first 150 pages are full of white space, then they cram 10 different topics on the last two pages that have nothing to do with one another.

Are you talking about chapter 6, the Almanac? This is intended to be very brief summaries of basic facts. It would indeed be various topics that would not have anything to do with one another Additionally it is about 12 pages.

Edited by - scererar on 17 Sep 2008 05:00:33
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  06:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I may have been overly critical of the almanac :-)

...but this would have been a lot better presented I think in the previous books.

quote:

quote:

The first 150 pages are full of white space, then they cram 10 different topics on the last two pages that have nothing to do with one another.

Are you talking about chapter 6, the Almanac? This is intended to be very brief summaries of basic facts. It would indeed be various topics that would not have anything to do with one another Additionally it is about 12 pages.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  14:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So is the Bladesinger going to be a Full Class, a Paragon Path for Swordmage, or a multiclass type like Spellscarred (or even a new Aegis Feature of the Swordmage)???

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  18:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladesinger is absent all together in 4e - as it stands now there are no official rules for it.

If you want an official Bladesinger paragon path for the Swordmage, I would lobby for a DnD Insider article on the subject.

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

So is the Bladesinger going to be a Full Class, a Paragon Path for Swordmage, or a multiclass type like Spellscarred (or even a new Aegis Feature of the Swordmage)???

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  18:16:06  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be a bladesinger soon enough. I promise :)

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  18:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy just showed up!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  14:06:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Is this tease of yours full of NDA???

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  14:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On topic of the book being all crunch, I think that was a good move in that by having most of the fluff in one book and one book all crunch, those who just want the fluff need not buy the Crunch book (and thus can't complain as much as if say the FRCG comprised of everything in both books and held all those pages)....its some nice crunch though...Cap'n Crunch

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  14:34:30  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Paragon Paths:

Silverstar

Is this a class for the tel'Teukiira? Silverstar is an alternate name for their group, so I wondered.....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  15:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Paragon Paths:

Silverstar

Is this a class for the tel'Teukiira? Silverstar is an alternate name for their group, so I wondered.....

Steven

Unfortunately no. These are followers of Selûne.

Edited by - Alisttair on 18 Sep 2008 15:26:40
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  15:30:20  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I say no more :)

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2008 :  16:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I say no more :)

Tease

Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  15:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a look at the 4th edition CS.
After reading it, it convinced me not to change to 4th edition. That is just ridiculous, what has happened with the realms???

Can anybody explain me, what they are doing to my beloved realms???

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  15:58:01  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be a long, long story, Iliphar1, and probably one not worth dredging up again, for the sake of the sanity and tempers of most of us (including yourself). I'm sure there are plenty of relevant scolls here at Candlekeep that you can refight the great 4e battle over and over again if you so wish.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  17:04:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iliphar1

I had a look at the 4th edition CS.
After reading it, it convinced me not to change to 4th edition. That is just ridiculous, what has happened with the realms???

Can anybody explain me, what they are doing to my beloved realms???

I would suggest you perform a search of Candlekeep for scrolls specifically dedicated to elaborate 4e FR chatter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000