Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Lone Wolf gamebooks re-released!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  00:36:10  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anybody remember the Lone Wolf novels from the 80's/90's? I remember when I was younger these books were what got me hooked on reading. Mongoose publishing is now re-releasing the novels 1-28, and the author will be writting new books 29-32. The re-releases have some updates and mini adventures featured in the back.

This post is basically for anybody who used to read/own Lone-Wolf novels and wish to re-visit this series...I'm glad I found out about this project. Although they are worth a look if you aren't familiar with them either. (I'm in no way affiliated with any of this, just a fan)

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=24

quote:
Launched in the 80's, the Lone Wolf series of gamebooks quickly became firm favourites among a growing fan base. Alone among the gamebooks of their day, Lone Wolf was the only one to feature a cohesive and exciting world, and an extended campaign in which your character could grow and expand as he travelled through all 28 books of the original series. This was the first true mega-campaign!

Prepare to return to the world of Magnamund. The original gamebooks are being revised and updated with additional storylines, quests and adventures, together with stunning new artwork. The series kicks off with Flight From the Dark, now weighing in at a massive 450 pages. No longer left for dead at the Kai Monastery, Lone Wolf has to fight his way clear to raise the alarm.

Subsequent books have all been revised with new material. The first of the new Lone Wolf gamebooks will appear in your local book stores in January 2009 - however, hardbound Collector's Copies will be available, only direct from Mongoose Publishing, at the end of July. Together, they form a superb looking and durable archive of the adventures of Lone Wolf.

You can pick and choose which Lone Wolf adventures to join in on as the gamebooks are released every 6-8 weeks, or you can sign up for one of the greatest fantasy campaigns ever.

All 28 of the original Lone Wolf gamebooks are being updated in this new series, but that is not all. Penned specially by Joe Dever, watch out for the final four, never before released gamebooks, numbered 29-32.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)

Edited by - hawkytom on 06 Aug 2008 00:37:02

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  00:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crap.

That is all.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  01:09:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I've still got quite a few of these myself. They were a real hoot back in the 80's. And I'm glad to see Dever's still involved. Good stuff!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  01:40:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a huge fan of the variable ending books back in the day... But I only ever got to read one of these, and it didn't impress me much -- perhaps because it was in the middle, somewhere, and I knew I was missing out on stuff from prior releases.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  02:26:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played the old, old NWN modules based on this setting.

I was wondering, how do you play this game? Are these books novels? Game books? Both? Can you play by yourself?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Aug 2008 02:32:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  04:04:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've played the old, old NWN modules based on this setting.

I was wondering, how do you play this game? Are these books novels? Game books? Both? Can you play by yourself?

I don't recall with this specific series, but a lot of gamebooks were mostly the choose-your-own-adventure type, but included some dice rolls. Some even used hit points and various ability scores.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  05:44:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you could often play by yourself. Though I do recall a few special "head-to-head" gamebooks [I'm not sure whether they were any published for Lone Wolf] that allowed for interactive gameplay between two people and using the story from the books.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Aug 2008 05:45:21
Go to Top of Page

SiCK_Boy
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  05:54:11  Show Profile Send SiCK_Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For all fans of the Lone Wolf serie, you can consult the Project Aon website at http://www.projectaon.org/

They offer a large part of the collection for free (and legal) download.

Edited by - SiCK_Boy on 06 Aug 2008 05:54:58
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  06:05:47  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good news. I enjoyed the books when they first came out.

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  18:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly and Sage, thanks for the information. A solo adventure sounds like something fun to try.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  18:50:45  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya they are basically single-player choose your own adventure novels where you create a character and progress with him through the novels...choosing spell/abilities, equipment, items, fight monsters...etc.

I loved it during my childhood and I'll be purchasing each book for my collection! (I ordered their mega-deal program, which is no longer available I think), but I'm basically already paid for the novels and whatever extras they decide to put out :D

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  18:57:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly and Sage, thanks for the information. A solo adventure sounds like something fun to try.

You may want to start with FR's very own Knight of the Living Dead.

I had a lot of fun playing through that.

Too bad its one of those few products NOT available at Paizo for $4.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  19:18:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

You may want to start with FR's very own Knight of the Living Dead.

I had a lot of fun playing through that.

Too bad its one of those few products NOT available at Paizo for $4.

I actually have two copies of that one... I need to read thru one of them so I can put it up on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  20:06:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lone Wolf are which way books with the added feature on random numbers to determine some results.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  23:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys, thanks for the information (and the link!).

I had the feeling these were "choose your own adventure" type books, but figured the website would have mentioned that. It didn't. In fact, I got the impression that Mongoose Publishing was just assuming that anyone looking at the webpage already knew what it was all about.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  04:07:05  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Guys, thanks for the information (and the link!).

I had the feeling these were "choose your own adventure" type books, but figured the website would have mentioned that. It didn't. In fact, I got the impression that Mongoose Publishing was just assuming that anyone looking at the webpage already knew what it was all about.

Yeah. I don't recall much about this really

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  12:09:40  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if they will also re-print the "Greystar" spin-off's?

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  13:54:17  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ateth Istarlin

I wonder if they will also re-print the "Greystar" spin-off's?

I'm hoping they will, however it probably depends on how much interest they get throughout the project of 1-32, going to take them a few years to just get all those out lol

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  01:52:46  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells stilled, scribes:

Yes, I remember and played those books. They were great. I only got through
13 or so, and I don't remember what I did with them. I'm sorry that I didn't keep
them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000