Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Grand History of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  07:44:26  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
- the other one...

I have the hardcover sitting next to me, & I have an old version of the netbook (2004).

I know its not available here to download anymore, but I am looking for a copy of the netbook from just before it was pulled, or at least newer than the one I have. The WOTC hardcover is far less detailed, and I would really like those extra details (for the like 10 years of DR in 3e.)

If necessary I'll provide evidence of my actual copy of the hardcover. The hardcover makes me wish I had the most recent version of the netbook.

Tell me if you have it. . .

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  07:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point, actually. If there's more detail in the netbook than in the Grand History of the Realms, I'd like that extra detail.

Actually, though, what I'd most like is a month by month timeline of 1368-1375 DR. Mentioning what YEAR Cormyr is invaded, Arabel is lost and King Azoun IV dies is too little detail when the campaign takes place in Arabel. The same goes to any other place that suffers the effects of RSEs.

How about some dates?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  08:18:37  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The netbook wasn't THAT detailed :P

The netbook was like a paragraphs for a year instead of one line.

hell, the NOVELS weren't THAT detailed(giving dates).

while I agree that having dates would rock, the grand history isn't made up, its a painstaking collection of important timeline information from all the major sources, including novels. And none of the sourcebooks or novels give dates. there are a few really small instances where it may happen, and a few more that mention the month, but most of the time they don't say.

I dunno. I LIKE the printed one, but I like the other too.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  00:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The greatest advantage it has over the Hasbro version, in my opinion is that it is SEARCHABLE. (It's called an "index," Hasbro. It was invented about a thousand years ago. Try to catch up with the previous millennium's technology before peddling your new carp, eh?)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  02:17:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NO.

The greatest advantage it has is it is COLOR-CODED!!!

I spent about a week color-coding my hard copy - you have no idea how much easier it is to research a certain line of information that way. Without that, it became impossible to use (for me) as a source.

Also, it had all the info on where the original entry came from, so you could go look it up if you needed more information.

Truly, a work of art.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Aug 2008 02:24:18
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  03:36:52  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

The greatest advantage it has over the Hasbro version, in my opinion is that it is SEARCHABLE. (It's called an "index," Hasbro. It was invented about a thousand years ago. Try to catch up with the previous millennium's technology before peddling your new carp, eh?)

I didn't realize the folks at Hasbro were fishmongers, but it explains a lot

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  04:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't we already have a scroll for this product here?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  05:12:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Don't we already have a scroll for this product here?

Nope. The original post was about locating the last revision of the pdf before it was pulled for sales of the print book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  05:28:21  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My netbook copy indicates that it is the 3rd printing - May 25, 2006. Is this the latest version? I have both the netbook and the printed WOTC one. I use both almost daily.

Edited by - scererar on 03 Aug 2008 05:28:52
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  06:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the latest version indeed.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  13:09:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

My netbook copy indicates that it is the 3rd printing - May 25, 2006. Is this the latest version? I have both the netbook and the printed WOTC one. I use both almost daily.

I use both of mine a lot, too. In fact, I purchased the pdf of the print one (full circle!), as well, to make it easier to search. I've created an html page with links to all my downloads, and both versions of the Grand History are listed right next to each other.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  17:52:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You just gave me a great idea Wooly -

I'm going to modify my pdf one to contain the linking-info from the print one. alleviating my need to reference the print one altogether!

And while I'm at it, I've got about 100 canon dates I can add back into it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Aug 2008 17:53:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000