Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Newbie needs an explanation -- 4e
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MasksChosenOne
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  23:26:54  Show Profile Send MasksChosenOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Thank you ,
Could someone please take a minute out of their busy posting scheduale(cannot spell that and it bothers me...) and try to explain what is wrong (or right ) with 4th ed. ? Actually explain what it is first.. Thanks for the help!
~Ashley

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Mod Edit II: Altered scroll title to better reflect content.

Drink a lot of water , Walk slowly !

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jul 2008 01:13:19

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  23:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the advent of Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition, Wizards of the Coast (the company that owns the copyrights to D&D and the Forgotten Realms) is implementing some very drastic changes to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, including the death of Mystra which resulted in the Spellplague which resulted in literally transposing or destroying various parts of Toril (the world that the Forgotten Realms is based on) and the death and/or downsizing many of the Realms deities into Exarchs (still not quite sure what they are, bust seems to be nice concept if they were not retconning the deities into them) so that there are now only 30ish deities in the Realms. Many of us are upset by this, and Wizards seems to be confused by this. Oh, and they are moving the timeline 104 years into the future (killing off many favorite Realms characters through old age if nothing else) from the end of the Grand History of the Realms (1385).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 10 Jul 2008 23:43:40
Go to Top of Page

MasksChosenOne
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  23:45:30  Show Profile Send MasksChosenOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh.... wow! I thought it was simply well the 4th ed.! Thank you for the explanation ! So characters such as Drizzt and others would no longer be in the story??
~Ashley

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  23:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt and Elminster survive, but I am not sure about any other characters. It is likely Ervis Cale survives since he is a shade, and Artemis Enteri may because in his short story Realms of Shadow he absorbs some of the essence of a shade. I would be surprised if Jaraxle (another dark elf character from the Drizzt series) survived. Other than Drizzt and Elminster, I am just speculating though.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

MasksChosenOne
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  00:01:26  Show Profile Send MasksChosenOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i will really miss Jaraxle ....*sniffle* If he is gone that is.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  01:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MCO: Sometimes when people on these boards talk about 4e, they are talking about the new version of the D&D game rules. Sometimes they're talking about the fact that, at the same time that it's introducing the 4e game system, WotC is moving the Forgotten Realms setting forward a hundred years and making some fairly major changes to it. You sort of need to figure out what people are referring to in any given post, the rules or the setting, to understand what's actually being said.
As for what's right or wrong with the changes to either the rules or the FR universe, that's in the eye of the beholder.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  01:23:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since he posted to your scroll I will give him a shameless plug, you are in for a treat when you first read a Richard Lee Byers realms novel!

The Black Bouquet, Dissolution, Queen of the Depths

The Rage
The Rite
The Ruin

The Shattered Mask

Unclean
Undead
Unholy

Love them all!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  03:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just consulted Grand History of the Realms again, and it finally struck me (forcefully, across the cheek) that everything which we have read of in the past few years (and thus all of the money we have spent) is flushed down the toilet in Hasbro's "official" Realms. All of the build-up to the return to the Realms of the southern capital city (and weapons system) of those people who used to have a civilization in the Plains of Purple Dust, the quest of Liriel Baenre, the Return of the Archwizards trilogy and anthology, the Threat from the Sea trilogy and anthology ... a decade of money out of our pockets and a long-term emotional and intellectual commitment is being flushed away so that Hasbro can rake in more dough. Screw 'em -- I am buying no more of their carp. That includes their damned E-Z Bake Ovens! The kiddies will get real solar cookers to play with henceforth.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  04:56:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I readily agree with the anti-4E sentiments, we really need to get away from this trend where mentioning the system brings out complaints.

And in this particular thread, we have someone asking for real info. Many of us may dislike 4E, but there are many that like it. So when someone is asking for general information, we really need to damp down the opinions and just go with facts as much as possible.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  17:06:59  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I would be surprised if Jaraxle (another dark elf character from the Drizzt series) survived.
Lol. That was supposed to read "I wouldn't be surprised if Jaraxle (another dark elf character from the Drizzt series) survived."

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 11 Jul 2008 17:14:23
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  17:21:20  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As much as I readily agree with the anti-4E sentiments, we really need to get away from this trend where mentioning the system brings out complaints.

And in this particular thread, we have someone asking for real info. Many of us may dislike 4E, but there are many that like it. So when someone is asking for general information, we really need to damp down the opinions and just go with facts as much as possible.
That is what I was trying to do, I am sorry if I failed miserably...

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Arrevanthas
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  17:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Arrevanthas's Homepage Send Arrevanthas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Screw 'em -- I am buying no more of their carp. That includes their damned E-Z Bake Ovens! The kiddies will get real solar cookers to play with henceforth.

OMG! LMAO! Sorry but that was just great and so unexpected.

Anyhow, yeah it is going to make me sad to see a lot of the characters go...(except Cattie-brie in the Drizzt novels...I will dance a jig for that!) but I am trying to keep an open mind on it all...though I still have yet to actually trying playing a 4th edition D&D campaign.

www.Arrevanthas.deviantart.com
Go on...you know you want to ^_~
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  21:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, here's hoping a clean sweep of things will enable us to enjoy a new perspective on the Realms. And may I remind us of how many of we souls were singing the curses of the evil 3rd edition in its infacy?

Oh, and I'm glad to be back at the 'Keep. *looks around* Ye gods, you folk let it get dusty in here.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  03:46:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MasksChosenOne

Thank you ,
Could someone please take a minute out of their busy posting scheduale(cannot spell that and it bothers me...) and try to explain what is wrong (or right ) with 4th ed. ? Actually explain what it is first.. Thanks for the help!
~Ashley

4th Edition as a rule set has eliminated many skills (some combined into a broader skill), has eliminated some alingments, has redefined the outer planes, removed deities and introduced a few new ones.
The core rules so far appear combat orientated and roles for characters more tightly defined. Some randomess has been removed from the game, fewer dice rolls. All in all some report liking the new rules while others clearly believe they are too constrained by them.

*shrugs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  04:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you ,
~Ashley

You can find plenty of opinions about both the 4E rules and the 4E setting in the WotC News and Releases forum.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  03:57:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simply put - Elminster, Drizzt, Cormyr, and the name of the setting remain pretty much the same.

Everything else is different.

Entire sections of the planet have been 'swapped out' for sections of another world newly created (a retcon) just to facilatate this, and a new race - The Dragonborn (Draconians) - has been added, while two others - the Genasi and the Tieflings - become races unto themselves with their own regions.

Oh... and Gray Elves (FR's Sun, Moon, and Star) have been renamed Eladrin, for no apparent reason. Sylvan (Wood & Wild) Elves remain Elves.

And Halflings got taller...

Gnomes are monsters...

I should stop now...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Aug 2008 03:58:15
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  04:08:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of the video with the gnome.. .I'm a monster Raawrr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo

Edited by - scererar on 31 Aug 2008 04:09:00
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1407 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  09:45:31  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you ,
~Ashley

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Mod Edit II: Altered scroll title to better reflect content.

Are you asking what's wrong with 4E D&D or 4E FR?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000