Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Origin of Member's Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  22:42:17  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There are quite a lot of members on the forum now, most of whom appear to be posting under an invented name. I just wondered, where did these names come from? In my case:

Kriss KaH'onen

Kriss was a half-elf mage I used in a Dragonlance campaign a while back. I played him almost every weekend for about 5 years at the end of which he retired as 13th level. He's particularly memorable to me as I normally DM and hadn't actually played a PC for about 15 years.

One of the best sessions of the campaign was The Night of the Eye - a rare event on Krynn when all 3 moons are in conjunction (white outer, red inner, black centre looking like an evil eye). Kriss chose that night to marry Verora, a female human mage in the party. Verora had been raised by a Minotaur Mage who had become a very close friend of the Emperor (another Minotaur). To everyone's surprise the Emperor turned up at the wedding. Kriss was never one to back down from a difficult situation or miss an opportunity to impress so went for the suck-up big style. Unfortunately I rolled a 1 for the Diplomacy check and the rest, as they say, is history. It didn't really help that Verora was played by the DM's wife - it was doomed to failure from the start.

It's a shame Dragonlance wasn't more detailed with more published material - it comes a very close second to The Forgotten Realms for enjoyment.

Incidentally, a bit of advice:

If ever you organise a banquet on Krynn and there is the slightest chance that Minotaurs might attend, don't have beef on the menu.

Edited by - Alaundo on 26 Aug 2004 11:38:47

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  07:32:50  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think my nick speaks for its self. There are two gods who I think are very cool. One of them is Mask, the other one is Bane. Bane is my favourite, but I recently read 'Price of Lies' and 'The Crucible', which both have Mask in them. I liked the way Mask thinked and acted. It was just a shame his plans failed.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  09:13:11  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya,
I guess I don't have to reply to this one either, gee, I wonder? lol
The Great DRIZZT

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  09:41:47  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mumadar Ibn Huzal is a NPC in my FR Campaign (The campaign is set in 1372). He runs the Running Stag Inn in Berdusk. Mumadar is of Bedine origin and has lived a large part of his life as a nomad in the Anauroch.

When I filled out the registration form, his name came to mind. No other peculiar reason.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  19:42:38  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine comes from Tiax, I am rather obsessed with him, many of you may know of him, but for those who don't, I will give a brief account. Tiax is a Gnome, he grew up as a bootswab in the Duchle palace in Baulders gate. On day a pariculary large beetroot fell on his head. He didn't seem badly hurt, but he was taken to the palace Cleric. The clerics Daughter, Elernese, a young Elf girl fell in love with Tiax. Tiax well, he's a Gnome, how often do they score an Elf, they got married and live in the Clerics quarters, there Tiax learnt to fight Valiently and basic healing. He was a stunning student with much natuarl ability. He was made a Knight of the gate. He quickly became the Duchel's favorite and after a few years went to battle with the lord. He was given A staff of great power to take to the Flaming Frist mages. He folishly decided to steal it and use its power. The power drove him insane. He lived still inside the gate, a pathetic power crazed Gnome. The Duchel killed his wife, torched his house and killed a Gnome a day until he returned. They gave up after 524 public exacutions.
The Gnome was aventualy found, but using great cunning he escaped and flead. He was soon found by a Mage of the clowered wizards and taken to an institute for the insane and magic using, it was known as spellhold. he stayec there for a couple of months, but it was soon taken over by John Irenicus. He was part of a revolt to overthrow Irenicus, but died in the process.

Well, thats the story of my name, Tiax.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  19:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::falls on floor in shock of Tiax being a GNOME and not a DWARF::

After all the times you went on and on about dwarves, I really am shocked, Tiax

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  20:05:34  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arion is my signature PC. I have been playing him in the same campaign (well...in the same group of PCs anyway) for four years now. He is an elven bard (and was such even in 2nd Ed....cause we didn't know that elves couldn't BE bards back then....:)) and a knight of the Moonwood and a Harper and lots of other cool stuff.

HUZZAH FOR DRACOS VIGILIT!

LONG LIVE THE DRACOS WYNDEMERE!

ahem...and stuff...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  20:19:46  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote

'After all the times you went on and on about dwarves, I really am shocked, Tiax'

Year it is pretty weird, But if you had heard the BG1 credits you'ld understand.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

DragonTouched
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  06:49:51  Show Profile  Visit DragonTouched's Homepage Send DragonTouched a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name is what my present character is. It's like Planet-touched, but it's a custom job. "Aegis" is mostly a deep dwarf, with enough dragon in his blood to give him minor strength benefits and a few extra resistances. I won't bore you with more than that.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  06:55:00  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
.....A Gnome!? holy crap dude, how much crap did I have to put up with because you were a DWARF not a gnome, well I'm glad you like dwarves better, I do too.
Mostly I play a character named Krondorl DeVir, a drow fighter, but I just chose "The Great Drizzt" for these forums.
The Great Drizzt(or Krondorl)

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Stoyka Wintercrow
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  17:39:05  Show Profile  Visit Stoyka Wintercrow's Homepage Send Stoyka Wintercrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings all.
As anyone I play with can tell you, I love to hear and tell game stories. So, I am more than happy to reply to this topic.

Stoyka Wintercrow is one of my favorite characters. He and his twin brother were big strapping half-elfs from Deepingdale. Unlike his brother, Stoyka was not the sharpest dagger in the sheathe. But he was hearnest and true. A prime example of the big dumb (Well, maybe not so dumb. But he tended to react rather than think.) hero. Through some awful mistakes, Stoyka ended up dying without a patron god. Thus, the poor sot is stuck in the wall unless and until Kelemvor hauls him out and gives him a fair trial. (Hey, he was conned by Cyric in the guise of Mielikki. It could happen. )

My favorite encounter with Stoyka was saving a woman and her child from their burning shop. There was a murder mystery going on and our group was working with the family of the woman's husband. We were on the way to a meeting at the shop when we spotted the fire. Stoyka had more wisdom than smarts so he generally broke problems down to the bare essentials and went with his instincts. In this case:
-People might be trapped inside that need rescuing.
-Can't rescue them if I get burned up.
-Big rain barrel over there.
-Might not burn if I'm all wet.
-Jump in barrel.
-Climb out of barrel and charge front door.

This all happened in about two actions. Stoyka found the woman and her baby (We actually didn't even know they were in there until we got inside.) and got them out wrapped in his sodden cloak. Now that's hero stuff!

This happened a few years and several characters ago. I'm still gaming with the same DM and he is occasionally on these boards so, "Thank you so much for so many years of great fun. You're the best."

"What's the doppleganger password!?!"
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  19:55:41  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mine is rather simplistic,

the "offical" color of my Pontiac Grand Am GT is Arctic White, my AOL Screen name is Knightstorm21....combined for no particlar reason and u come up with Arctic Knight , sounded cool so i went with it.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  22:38:12  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am ready to face the ridacule, Tiax, is a Gnome, Hide head in shame, I am ready to fall to the rucks. I am so ashamed.

Edited by - Alaundo on 05 Oct 2002 10:49:11
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  11:46:31  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name Ditalidas... oeh... I would need to get a latin and greek dictionary to explain how I came by that name. It is a combination between two greek or latin words (I'm not sure, it is at least 8 years ago I came up with the name) and I mixed them together. The meaning had something to do with fire and power.

Ditalidas was from origin a T-Chell. a self-made race from my DM at the time. They are hairless creatures that live near the core of the earth. The family of the original Ditalidas was destroyed by some kind of disease (I don't remember what). It killed the whole community and for poor little Dita there was nothing left to do than travel and reach the surface.

There a kind old wizard saved her from severe burnings caused by the sun. After that she was always covered in thick clothings to protect herself against sunlight. The wizard taught her how to use magic and when he died she traveled alone until she met the party she adventured in.

It was the most strange party I ever played in. Ditalidas used to ride along on the shoulder of a half orc (T'Chell are very small people), who had a thing for signs and took them all with him, there was a wild mage who ended up as a giant glowing multi colored weasel.... we used to send him out front to scare the bad guys and another party memeber who chained the last with a cursed chain that turned him in a werewolf type of something.... So you see... my T-Chell was quite normal

But I guess the last part of my story is a little off topic... We should start a thread were people can tell about their most funny adventures... or their strangest.

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

Merrzeran
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  06:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Merrzeran's Homepage Send Merrzeran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings all, I am Merrzeran,(The Very Old). I have revived this topic because I thought it would be an ideal way of introducing myself... I first came up with this name for an Npc that I created over 15 years ago for a very (then young)campaign world called "The world of Greyhawk". Quite ancient indeed. I expect that many of the younger members havent even heard of it. But I digress, Merrzeran was a very powerful Lich that wasnt evil, just began his life as an apprentice Mage and went onto travel The Continent of Greyhawk as well as many otherworlds and planes at least that was the back story that I fashioned for the charector. His passion for more knowledge, Arcane and otherwise was so strong that he didnt want to pass on to the afterlife... So Merrzeran was created... He basically was a hermit that lived in a Forgotten Keep in the Mountains. Who if discovered could lend help in the form of Forgotten knowledge for a price of course. And this he did for many in my campaign setting, back in the days of AD&D 1st ed. I never got to play any of the other Editions, I played mostly first ED up until I stoped altogether (ie marriage, kids, members of my party relocating etc, etc, etc)I thought "The Very Old" title would be beffiting. Well anyway "Greetings All!" It is good to be sorrounded by Heroes, Adventures and Sojourners of the Mind, again, Well met! Now were in the Nine Hells did I put my cane???

~M~

Edited by - Merrzeran on 22 Oct 2002 14:51:04
Go to Top of Page

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  18:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently playing a PC called Marc, who comes from the countryside somewhere in 'the North'.

In one of my beloved idiotic initiatives I decided to work out the background-story of Marc in some extreme detail. In this story most of what was told was seen through the eyes of other people who met Marc somewhere in his life. In order to kinda role-play these figures too I crept into their skins as well. One of them was a pretty young peasant girl, Frey.
In creating and animating her she became very vivid to me and I grew to like her. I don't think having her as a PC would be as nice as Marc (i.e. Marc is more fun to play), but I do like this young woman.

As for the name itself ... I had the basis of the character and the story worked out sketch-like when suddenly it became necessary to mention her name in the game. Her femininity and youth and all that, combined with the harsh surroundings in which she and Marc lived, made me come up with the association of the goddess Frey.

- Imagine ... there's no imagination. -

(remember Frey is just a PC)
Go to Top of Page

Baron Sengir
Acolyte

Turkey
28 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  13:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Baron Sengir's Homepage Send Baron Sengir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,mine is not an FRP character(because I do not count Magic The Gathering as RPG).It is a character in Magic basicly.For the ones who know about magic,it is a very old 5/5 legend black card with casting cost 5 colorless 3 black.It is a flying vampire with the ability to regenerate other vampire creatures for tap.I use the nick because that card has caused me serious trouble in my early games.I usually had white deck and as always;white and black can't go on well...

If you were a dream,I would sleep forever...
Go to Top of Page

Salazar
Acolyte

Netherlands
12 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  09:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Salazar's Homepage Send Salazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salazar Milandi is an invented name. My brother, Azzadar Milandi, is a partymember. We're from Mulhorand and we looked for a name, which fitted in this region and the name was Milandi.

I'm am a Tiefling Cleric of Shar, Shadow Adept as prestige class.
Azzadar is an Tiefling Assasin, we both have one level as monk, not just for the fun but for the extras such as evasion and Wis to AC, my Wisdom is also an important ability for the cleric part.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  09:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite band is the Norwegian Black Metal band Emperor. Their logo, an 'e', is called Icon E which was then changed to Econ and an 'h' was added for purposes of spelling.

I have used this pseudonym in every forum and every email adress since I started using the internet some 4-5 years ago and I have never experienced anyone else using it so if you see anything signed Echon, chances are that it is me.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Uther Cosipian
Acolyte

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  15:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Uther Cosipian's Homepage Send Uther Cosipian a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ahh my name. It was a character I cherished greatly from Dragon Lance. A knight of Solamnia actually. Knight of Tears from the order of the Rose. I played him for 3 years and achieved to level 3. He was slain in a great battle between a powerful drow. I reached level 10 just before I died. I really loved that character. I was stripped of all my equipment just before I went into battle with the dark elf. It was a sad day on Krynn. Now I have a character in the Realms called Brandle Williamson. I would have named my account that but I had one before, and now I can't access it. Uther, long lost, never forgotten.

"Someone once told me, you must die, in order to live. I'm not sure what he meant, but I know I ain't dying or living in this retched place."
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  16:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Well, while it's revived why not?
Kitira Gildragon:
The name came to me after a bit for one of my little 'writings' but decided to use it for the Silver Marches campaign. The Kitira came from my BG2 character (Kiti D'Aleshan, wildmage) and the Gildragon came from a dragon test http://www.geocities.com/teo592/quiz/dragon.html in a way.(Even if you don't take it, look at some of the choices.) I took it and came up with black and gold dragons. In order not to anger any breed, and to show a bit of taint, I substituted an i for o. Kitira is pure in love, honor, and violence, but she can be mischevious and vindictinve as well.

-Space for rent-

Edited by - Kitira Gildragon on 10 Dec 2002 16:49:28
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  17:20:15  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name comes from the weird and wonderful but severely warped world of my mind. There is absolutely no reason for it, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

My first ever BG character was an arrogent but very twisted and evil bard called Sandy Octopus (once more a name with no justification) and ever since then the Octopus family has been born - a family of Bards with varying weird personalities. Since then all my PCGame characters have been members of the Octopus family.

There's been Oberointland Von Octopus, my first BG2 character who was as arrogent as hell but actually a complete pansy always getting his warband to do his dirty work for him and then taking the credit.

We've had Dewberry Octopus, my first IWD character. He was actually very powerful and served the forces of good - a rareity in the Octopus family.

There's also been Ugadadogou Octopus, Big-Daddy Octopus, Ike Octopus and MiLord Octopus just so I got to be called MiLord by Lady Aribeth in NWN when she says just the first name.

Then there was my most recent character Pope Gregory IX Octopus who was one of my favs.

Yes, you are correct, I am a very strange person.

TDM

PS: My Megazone membership is, for reasons apparent to everyone, More Tea, Vicar?

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)

Edited by - The Defence Minister on 10 Dec 2002 17:21:22
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  15:28:59  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already tell the origin of my name when i introduced myself
I comes from "the" (pronounced with a french accent) and MD which stands for Maitre Donjon (=Dungeon Master)
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  17:02:40  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artalis was one of my first well defined RPG characters. He hails from Middle Earth.

He is a Dundain warrior with a berzerk hatred for Orcs. He grew up in Rivendell and was in love with an elf girl there, they strayed too far from home and they were captured by orcs.

She was tortured to death in front of him, he was 12 at the time. He was rescued by Elladan and Elrohir (Elrond's sons) but it was too late for her.

He left Rivendell shortly after that and lived in the wilds hunting orcs. I belive he must have been the luckiest character I have ever had. He survived so many impossible situations he became somewhat of a legend.

He even (much later in his career)slew a Balrog in the deeps of Moria. ( rolled a 100 then a 100 and then a 93 on my initial attack roll with the great 2-handed sword I found in the vault, there's the luck again).

He has burn scars on his hands from where he stabbed the balrog in the eyes with both of his daggers and then picked it up with his bare hands (in a fit of berzerk rage) and cast it down into the molten lava below.

He then took the Balrog's whip and sword and went back to Rivendell and laid them at Elrond's feet.

He was a very classy, and down to earth guy didn't really care about much but helping people out and purging the evil from middle-earth.

He has always been one of my favorite PC's

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  03:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my member name doesn't really originate from anything, sometimes I make a character on the Baldur's Gate computer game named Geckereeba(I know, it's a wierd name, isn't it?). To get it I took the phrase "beer keg" and put it backwards and got rid of the space which came to Gekreeb. Then I just added a couple syllables and changed the spelling and got Geckereeba.
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  18:58:49  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name Salius Kai has evolved from many years of RPing. It was origianaly Flare Geode, Flare Prism, Pyrogius Prism, on and on. But it eventually ended up as it now is. I'm quite happey with it so i don't think I'm be changing it anytime soon. He is currently the hero in a comic book I am drawing.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  00:11:13  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's completly out of the topic, but i'm currently creating a comic. I create the scenario and one of my friend draw it.
Salius, could you send me yours so i can see it?
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  00:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be more than happy too. As soon as I find a scanner, I'll send it on its way.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Exilion
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2002 :  16:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Exilion's Homepage Send Exilion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My honourly name is Exilion. It came from an Elvish village in remote, unknown region of the world, called Exil. Ion, of course means honourly mage, so that is why I am called Exil-ion. Please feel free to ask me more, dear traveller.

Bring forth power unto my reign
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2002 :  18:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...my name huh? Figuring it out for yourself is part of the fun of my name. (I like riddles)
Go to Top of Page

Exilion
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2002 :  15:49:30  Show Profile  Visit Exilion's Homepage Send Exilion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can that be a riddle? Did you make it up?!

Bring forth power unto my reign
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000