Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 From the same god who brought us Yellow Musk Vine
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  06:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Delete Topic
BBC has a photo of "an ant infected with a Cordycep fungus." If you've ever thought that the notion of fungi or plants taking over animals or humans was absurd, note that, "The parasite controls the ant forcing it to climb high up a tree and attach itself to a branch. The bizarre behaviour, captured by Earthwatch volunteers in Malaysia, maximizes the distribution of the fungus spores when the plant emerges weeks later." WARNING: the photo is a wee bit icky to view.

Fungi, by the way, are not plants, they form a Clade (or Kingdom, if you prefer) of their own, and are genetically more similar to animals than to plants. The local myconid king would tell you as much if he weren't so busy with his 'shrooms.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 02 Jul 2008 08:47:33

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  17:43:57  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message
Interesting, thanks for the link.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  20:38:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Read the book The Hot Zone if you want to find out how horrifying some diseases can be - its non-fiction, too.

A man with Ebola took a plane, hailed a cab, and then checked into a hospital... all long after he was clinically dead. Its almost as if the disease doesn't allow people to 'crash' until after they are in a more heavily-populated area.

All of his internal organs were liquified 24 hours previous to him doing those things I mentioned above.

Scarey stuff, what little microbes can do to people and animals.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jul 2008 20:38:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  22:36:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Read the book The Hot Zone if you want to find out how horrifying some diseases can be - its non-fiction, too.

A man with Ebola took a plane, hailed a cab, and then checked into a hospital... all long after he was clinically dead. Its almost as if the disease doesn't allow people to 'crash' until after they are in a more heavily-populated area.

All of his internal organs were liquified 24 hours previous to him doing those things I mentioned above.

Scarey stuff, what little microbes can do to people and animals.

Okay, that has got to be either fiction or exaggeration. With no internal organs, there is no way he could have done any of those things.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  02:47:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Read The Hot Zone - the doctors couldn't figure it out either.

That happened some years ago, and was the basis for the movie Night of the Living dead.

He was in a remote part of Africa, and when he started feeling VERY ill, he took a flight to Lake Victoria (the only place within 500 miles with a real hospital). According to the book, sometime during that flight he expired... and then got off the plane, hailed a cab, and signed into the Hospital ER before finally collapsing onto the floor.

The doctors thought someone had carried a corpse in - they refused to believe the man walked in on his own (it was, as YOU say, physically impossible).

Just like the Fungus that makes the ant 'do the shuffle'. We just like to think we know everything about science, but we haven't even scratched the surface. Sometimes the truth is stranger then these games we play.

And I rarely read non-fiction, but I couldn't put that book down.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jul 2008 02:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  07:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hot_Zone

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  11:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message
Didn't know that's where we got cyclosporins from.

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  15:09:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for the link, Mace.

Its a helluva read, and I highly recommend it (and like I said, I almost never read non-fiction, unless its historic).

In the beginning of the book it has one of those pages where 'famous people' get to say their opinion of it, and both Stephen King and Clive Barker said it was "The most frightening thing they've ever read".

The outbreak next door to Washington, D.C. is of particular interest.

I wonder how many diseases, bacteria, fungi, and parasites are able to affect mental abilities? From what I understand, thats the whole premise behind that new M. Night Shyamalan movie, The Happening.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jul 2008 15:18:07
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  08:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
I just watched "The Ruins" tonight, it came out on DVD today.

It reminded me very much of Yellow Musk Vine.

It also reminded me of old school Rot Grubs that would burrow beneath your skin.

Not that good a movie but the plot could be adapted to make for an excellent D&D adventure, come to think of it. An ancient pyramid filled with Yellow Musk Vine could present some interesting challenges to a party.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  23:58:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
As an aside to this topic, just last night I was watching one of those 'science' programs about diseases (I have no idea what channel/program - sorry ) and they were talking about parasites (including insects, diseases, fungi, ect...) that had the ability to 're-program' the host.

Malaria was high on the list!

It seems that Mosquitoes that carry the bug develop a 'taste' for humans - the type of host preferred by malaria. Normal mosquitoes will bite anything with blood, but ones with malaria will specifically target humans. Then the humans themselves are caused to exude certain 'smells' that mosquitoes find appealing, so that the disease gets to spread to more Mosquitoes, thus completing the circle.

Freaky stuff.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jul 2008 21:31:40
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  10:27:09  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:

It seemns that Mosquitoes that carry the bug develop a 'taste' for humans - the type of host preferred by malaria. Normal mosquitoes will bite anything with blood, but ones with malaria will specifically target humans. Then the humans themselves are caused to exude certain 'smells' that mosquitoes find appealing, so that the disease gets to spread to more Mosquitoes, thus completing the circle.

Well, MT, it's also important to remember that only the female anopheles mosquito drinks blood and serves as the vector for malaria transmission. The male just flies around, drinking nectar and finding other sources of sugar, minding his own business, as it were.

I, myself, have no trouble seeing this kind of behavior difference between the sexes. But then, I've been married for a while.

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  13:11:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

It seemns that Mosquitoes that carry the bug develop a 'taste' for humans - the type of host preferred by malaria. Normal mosquitoes will bite anything with blood, but ones with malaria will specifically target humans. Then the humans themselves are caused to exude certain 'smells' that mosquitoes find appealing, so that the disease gets to spread to more Mosquitoes, thus completing the circle.

Well, MT, it's also important to remember that only the female anopheles mosquito drinks blood and serves as the vector for malaria transmission. The male just flies around, drinking nectar and finding other sources of sugar, minding his own business, as it were.

I, myself, have no trouble seeing this kind of behavior difference between the sexes. But then, I've been married for a while.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  18:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

But of course, the male mosquito in question wouldn't be around if his mommy didn't drink any blood (the blood is for eggs, not for nutrition). :) If he lives long enough, he will take part in a breeding process which requires the taking of blood.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Jul 2008 18:58:34
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  21:14:54  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

But of course, the male mosquito in question wouldn't be around if his mommy didn't drink any blood (the blood is for eggs, not for nutrition). :) If he lives long enough, he will take part in a breeding process which requires the taking of blood.

I confess that I had a strong feeling you'd be the one to comment on that, milady.

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  21:33:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
After twenty years of marriage (and subsequent divorce), I can honestly say I've fully recovered from my on-going dessication.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  00:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

I confess that I had a strong feeling you'd be the one to comment on that, milady.

Oh really?

I'm not a fan of mosquitos (at least not the ones that take human blood), but who is?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Jul 2008 00:11:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  01:21:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I think this scroll has served it's purpose.

*Scroll sealed*

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000