Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Players Handbook 2
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  14:48:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Having worked on PHB2 a bit (just a small bit, really), I can say that calling it PHB2 is a classification decision only. If you liked the PHB2 of 3.5, you'll like this one. It is nothing more than combining the class and race information that would have appeared in a "Complete" or "Races of" style of book into one place. If you think about it, it's actually a rather handy way of doing things.

We are still getting base classes elsewhere. For example, in the FRCB which will have the swordmage and presumably Eberron will have the artificer, warforged etc.

I understand that the new "Complete" books, the "Power" books, won't have base classes or races but other player options. But will the upcoming undead or dragon books have classes?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  16:19:03  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

I'm not ignoring what you wrote, I'm just saying there's no substance to your criticism.

But you're right, to. There are nicer ways to go about saying what I said in my earlier post.

Maybe you ought to give the 4E books a good read-through. Sure WotC's put a lot of info out there, but there's nothing much better then getting them in your hands to see what you've really got.
Dude, you are out of line. There are plenty of previews, excerpts, and detailed analyses and reviews of the 4e mechanics for anyone to make an informed decision as to whether they like it or not. And being downright insulting, condescending, and not replying to what was written is just rude.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  16:36:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We prolly should get back to the original topic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gwydion669
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  17:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Gwydion669's Homepage Send Gwydion669 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wha...?

Martial/Arcane/Divine "powerbooks"?

OMG! It's happening again! The splat ... OMG, the Splat is MULTIPLYING!

Run for your lives! Aieeeeeee!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  17:52:33  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gwydion669

Wha...?

and soon they will followed by Primal, Ki, Shadow, and Psionic Power

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  17:53:18  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wha...?

and soon they will followed by Primal, Ki, Shadow, and Psionic Power

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  18:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wha...?

Lol. Having spent so much money on 3.x splat books, I have no real desire to do a repeat performance with 4e.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  18:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

However, to defend Wooly, part of this has to do with WOTC's marketing approach. Rather than saying that the game is good, give it a shot, they have taken numerous shots at 3.5 to play it down with 4th edition coming out.

I didn't quite care for that aspect of WotC's marketing approach. I think 4E is good enough to stand on it's own--it's not necessary to put down 3E and those who enjoy it...and they have done that--for example, in the preview material, one of the designers said that if you've used a Profession check recently, your game isn't as much fun as it should be.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  20:03:39  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

Having worked on PHB2 a bit (just a small bit, really), I can say that calling it PHB2 is a classification decision only. If you liked the PHB2 of 3.5, you'll like this one. It is nothing more than combining the class and race information that would have appeared in a "Complete" or "Races of" style of book into one place. If you think about it, it's actually a rather handy way of doing things.

We are still getting base classes elsewhere. For example, in the FRCB which will have the swordmage and presumably Eberron will have the artificer, warforged etc.

I understand that the new "Complete" books, the "Power" books, won't have base classes or races but other player options. But will the upcoming undead or dragon books have classes?

Warforged is a race and they are already included in the MM. I'm sure there will be new options for them in the ECS, though I'm not an Eberron designer, so I can't say what those will be.

I suspect that Eberron will have the artificer class. I know FR will have the swordmage. With those exceptions, it's my understanding that new classes will appear in the PHB2/3/etc... I can't say for certain what's happening with psionics.

I only worked briefly on PHB2, so I couldn't say what exactly it includes, but I do know for certain that neither the Draconomicon (which I didn't work on, but did use extensively) or Open Grave (which I did work on extensively) include any new classes. Those books are definitely for the DM with only a small amount of material that might be of use to players.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  20:12:28  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Warforged is a race and they are already included in the MM. I'm sure there will be new options for them in the ECS, though I'm not an Eberron designer, so I can't say what those will be.

I suspect that Eberron will have the artificer class. I know FR will have the swordmage. With those exceptions, it's my understanding that new classes will appear in the PHB2/3/etc... I can't say for certain what's happening with psionics.

I only worked briefly on PHB2, so I couldn't say what exactly it includes, but I do know for certain that neither the Draconomicon (which I didn't work on, but did use extensively) or Open Grave (which I did work on extensively) include any new classes. Those books are definitely for the DM with only a small amount of material that might be of use to players.

So they aren't just 4e versions of the Dracomonicum and Libris Mortis as both featured a lot of stuff for players, i.e PrCs, races, base classes, etc

Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  22:29:01  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If they were true base classes

Question is, what qualifies as a base class? Was the 2E PHB incomplete because it didn't have the Barbarian or Monk? I doubt it. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not "a true base class".

quote:
That's fine. It still doesn't justify using 14 pages per class. If anything, that should require less pages per class.

The Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, and Wizard have far more pages then that expended on them. So why the complaint? Tastes vary, but personally, I prefer every class having numerous options, rather then a third of the classes having a neverending stream of options, while the other third has next to none. And personally, I want my Fighters to do more then just "swing their sword".

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."

Edited by - Venger on 02 Jul 2008 22:29:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  23:29:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I'm not going to publicly argue this anymore.

Check your PM.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  00:23:25  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So they aren't just 4e versions of the Dracomonicum and Libris Mortis as both featured a lot of stuff for players, i.e PrCs, races, base classes, etc

You've got it right. They are very much DM focused books.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  00:42:42  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You've got it right. They are very much DM focused books.

Well, I look forward to both. It is an interesting take limiting the book to DMs and that kind of curtails the available buyers. I always thought those books sold for the PrCs and feats and the like

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  02:47:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:: Pops some popcorn and reads page three, snickering ::

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page