Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Paizo announces 3.5 revised
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  23:46:12  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Oh my. The redone Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard all look interesting, sadly I fear I won't get to use these since my friends aren't interested in a third options, it's 3.5 or 4.. now 3.somethingElse.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  00:17:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for more info... http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  03:04:01  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that's the link. The ruleset is free for download in PDF form up until it's release August 2009. Only the printed copy in August 2008 and the final version in 2009 will you have to pay for. The response from the fans both on wizards.com, paizo.com, and industry insiders is very... interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  10:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't check it here....is it like the substitution levels in a way or bigger of a change than that??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  12:18:49  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alisttair, it's a bigger change, more like the change from 3.0 to 3.5, but intended to be just as compatible as those two editions are. The really exciting thing for me is that it's fully OGL, so Paizo can incorporate all the best 3rd party rules, like stuff from Monte's new BoXM, for example.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  12:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds pretty good...I might check it out when I get home.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  14:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bloody hell...this is soooo awesome! I think I'll re-subscribe to Pathfinder... they listened to the fans...and their own hearts! Gods, these guys do have the right frame of mind!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  14:11:23  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. 3.5 is the new old school. I think I'm growing old
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  14:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good. I will take a look at this tonight, and will add my musings about it.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  15:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm already thinking about how to adapt the Realms (not the Faux version WoTC are publishing) to these rules.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  16:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did a quick look-over of the PDF and so far it looks good. However, I may end up creating my own revised edition drawing upon elements from Paizo's Pathfinder RPG, Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might, and the D&D 4.0 SRD to create my own rules set that will be compatible with 3.5.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  16:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I've seen so far, from reading bits and pieces, damn(!) the changes are reasonable and simple. Did I mention they make sense?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  18:03:27  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still hesitating to show it to my players for a few reasons:

1. Why the need to add an extra +2 to an ability score for humans? half-elves, ok... as the race sucked already... same for half-orc... but humans, elves, dwarves, etc. And what about other races now? what if someone wants to play a Sun Elf? Are they now at +4 Int since the lowly moon elves are now at +2 Dex and +2 Int??? what about non-standard races and monsters? (gnolls, orcs, ogres, dragons etc. i.e. anything "weird" a player might want? these are now effectively underpowered compared to regular +2/+2/-2 PCs... ESPECIALLY if you take into account some of these weird races have arguably a too high Level Adjustment already... Avariel, anyone? [ducking as people are awakening from their long-dead slumber at the words "Avariel" and "Level Adjustment"]

2. I quite like the existing Spot/Listen mechanics. This new Perception skill scares me. Dwarves get +2 to taste and touch-based Perception checks, while elves are better with sights and sounds. Gnomes smell and touch, etc. What the hell? can a gnome now make a smell check to detect enemies? what about dwarves? can they now stick out their tongues and "taste" if you're normal or really a doppleganger in disguise? I'll have to read more into it, as it could be fun using other senses than Spot/Sight and Listen/Hearing, but right now, I'm leaning towards a conservative approach.

3. Core classes: LOTS AND LOTS of changes here... so many in fact that I fear the core class will no longer be compatible or stackable with Prestige Classes. I think I'll use the "Dead Levels" article from WotC website instead, if I need to add "flavour to the boring classes." The dead levels article introduced fixes that had little effect in the game (i.e. more flavour-oriented). The changes in Pathfinder are extensive for each class...
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  18:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't mean that all of the changes will make it into my game, but the reorg of skills is a good thing...

Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  23:21:49  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember, it is still an Alpha version and going through open playtesting at the moment. I'm sure they'd appreciate any thoughts or comments you have to make about things you like and don't like about the proposed system.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  02:35:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm... what was that I was saying in the other thread?

Something about Rats fleeing a sinking ship?

A company like Paizo deciding to stay 3e has a helluva lot more clout then a buncha fansites.

Guess I'm right agian...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  03:43:16  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caedwyr

Remember, it is still an Alpha version and going through open playtesting at the moment. I'm sure they'd appreciate any thoughts or comments you have to make about things you like and don't like about the proposed system.

Where can I give them my comments?
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  13:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right here.

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG

ENWorld is also having a few threads on it, which is getting looked at by Paizo employees.
Go to Top of Page

AncientSpirits
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  15:46:41  Show Profile  Visit AncientSpirits's Homepage Send AncientSpirits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a Paizo fan, I admit, and am surprised and excited by their direction. It's bold, if nothing else.

What's most interesting to me is that their philosophy toward their customer base is - in many ways - the opposite of WotC's, such as an open design process that solicits input, evolutionary rather than revolutionary changes so folks can keep their current books, and focus on simulation and minimizing the battlemat rather than The Other Company (tm).

I hope they mostly stick to 3.5 as-is, with just enough fixes to a) balance classes, b) simplify overly complex rules, and c) speed up high-level combat.

Bind ancient spirits to you cause, at: www.pactmagic.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  19:13:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In other words, they got it right.

Is it any suprise? Their handling of Dragon Magazine was far better and their content superior to anything TSR was ever able to produce, or that WotC is doing now (I still can't believe they are calling those 'ads' Dragon Magazine).

Paizo has always had a connection to the fans - something I feel WotC has lost over the years. Large companies simply cannot produce the same kind of quality that a smaller, more 'in-touch' company can. When it becomes "churning out product" over good, CONSISTENT world design, then its no longer about the game.

Kudos to Paizo for stepping up to the challenge of bringing this hobby back to where it belongs - in basements and backyards, NOT corporate offices.

And if this puts a fire under the FR team's butt to try a little harder, then so much the better. A little competition is ALWAYS good for the consumer.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Mar 2008 19:14:29
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  00:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

What I've seen so far, from reading bits and pieces, damn(!) the changes are reasonable and simple. Did I mention they make sense?

I agree. I really love it, and all the other seven DMs I personally know (in real life) are as excited about it as I am (they weren't going to switch to 4E anyway). What's even better is that anyone can playtest it for free and participate in the design process on the Paizo boards.

After an analysis of the rules I have to say that *this* is the new edition of D&D I want to play. My group has downloaded the rules, and I'm launching a playtest campaign as soon as the Alpha 2 rules are released.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

AncientSpirits
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  07:34:40  Show Profile  Visit AncientSpirits's Homepage Send AncientSpirits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I set up a brief survey last night with questions based on common responses and ideas from the insanely large number of threads that have popped up over the last couple days on the Paizo site. Wow, talk about energizing and involving your customers!!! Here is the link to the thread -- the poll results are about 2/3s of the way down, shown via a spoiler button.
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/general/onlinePRPGSurvey

Bind ancient spirits to you cause, at: www.pactmagic.com
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  04:10:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group is going to convert to this to test the rules out. We have (currently) a human paladin, a human cleric, a half elf bard, a gnome beguiler, and a goliath rogue/fighter.

Originally we were going to test out the gnome as a beguiler with the system tweaks in the Pathfinder rules, but Darkmeer wants to try him out as a full on rogue/illusionist. So the most non-standard thing in the group will be Foghorn's goliath, which should stay as is for the playtest.

While the players were not thrilled to have to chose between a few skills, since they all had some background skills that they only had a few points in, they actually liked the streamlined system for skills overall. I know when I did a test to stat out a mature adult blue dragon, the skills zipped by when I made the thing up.

At any rate, I'll keep everyone posted on how this playtest goes. The bard and the paladin don't have official Pathfinder equivalents yet, so I'm hoping when they do, I don't have to ask them to convert too much over.
Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  22:36:16  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My arcane archer has an uncommon build: rgr3/ftr2/brd2/arc1. Two side effects of this conversion were a few more hit points (bards, rangers, and arcane archers all gain a hit die size) and much higher effective skills (almost all skills fall under one of these classes). Something may need to be done to reign in this multiclass skill effect just a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  14:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was released the first adjustment in the rules. Just go to the link, re-personalize the archive, and go on.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2008 :  02:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A link to the thread announcing the Alpha 1.1 release can be found here. Also, there is mention in the thread that version 2 will feature a more done on skills based on feedback so far among other things.

Link!

Mod edit: Shortened the link just a bit.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Mar 2008 02:46:10
Go to Top of Page

Cyril Lokner
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  13:27:03  Show Profile Send Cyril Lokner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first saw Paizo's 3.Pe Alpha release, I got really excited and considered what I was looking at a great solution for not going over to 4e. But now that a couple weeks have gone by after the initial release of 3.Pe, I realize that I would just be tossing some cash at yet another edition. I'm afraid that as much as I love what Paizo does, I'll keep my 3.5 PHB.

A Detail of Hadreth's Glen: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11314
A Detail of the Shattered Stone Orcs: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12873
A Detail of White Chalk Hollow: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13348
A Detail of Tachepp: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13336
A Detail of the Aer Ascaltia: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17559
Cougarum: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13341
A Detail of Irythkeep http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18290
Go to Top of Page

TheLemming
Acolyte

Austria
16 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  14:30:50  Show Profile  Visit TheLemming's Homepage Send TheLemming a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started reading through paizo's 3.75 edition and have to admit I like what I saw so far, while it is not a 4th edition and does not attempt to be one...

Therefore the "flaws" of the 3.5 edition that are still present can not be wiped out by changing the system itself, but it offers very nice balancing proposals and ideas - giving non-spellcasters a bit more options, and offering very nice grapple alternative rules.

So in case you're into 3.5 and don't like 4th edition I can really recommend giving it a glimpse, the ideas are genuine for the system without changing everything.

(just my (2) few cents)
Go to Top of Page

Baldwin Stonewood
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  19:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Baldwin Stonewood's Homepage Send Baldwin Stonewood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have downloaded and played the Alpha 1 version and have enjoyed it. The Alpha 2 version was released yesterday. Assuming Paizo maintains its goals of OGL and compatibility with 3.5, they appear to be in position to fill the gapping hole WoWC is self creating. Once Wizards stops printing 3.5 material there is a large segment of 3.5 gamers who should trend towards Paizo because it is compatible with their current books.

Full Disclosure: I am a simple gamer and have no dog in this show. No affiliation any gaming company.
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  12:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group will end up playing 4th edition because one of us really wants to try it and the others are grudgingly going along, but at the same time we have 3 ongoing 3.5 games as well. What Pathfinder and BOXM have offered us is the inclination to formalise what we've been doing all these years which is playing house rules. We're currently putting together our own set of rules, character builds (taking all the variants and basically setting up a list for each of the classes we establish of build options to get rid of the hundred mage/fighters, but allow characters to be unique rather than overpowered) and skills.

What we have decided as part of this though is staying supporting Paizo as the backwards compatibility works just as well for us as it will do for them and Pathfinder. I can't see us playing Pathfinder as is because of the lack of non core class options/classes, but we're certainly buying the stuff to use as a source for what we're running.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2008 :  22:06:18  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More ultra exciting news.

Wait for it.. wait for it..

Monte Cooke is going to be working with Paizo on Pathfinder RPG (3P.)

Also... every crazier..

Wolfgang Baur
Jeff Grubb
Sean K Reynolds
Todd Stewart
JD Wiker

Are contributing to the Pathfinder Campaign Setting and.....

RA Salvatore
Ed Greenwood
Rich Barker

are also contributing!

The 4th edition revolution has begun. :P

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000