Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Paizo announces 3.5 revised
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2008 :  23:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really, really cool!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2008 :  23:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! With names such as those attached, 4e doesn't stand a chance in my book.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  00:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm even more eager to check out the Pathfinder campaign setting now.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 13 May 2008 00:22:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  01:18:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was already sold on Pathfinder when I first heard Baur and Grubb were going to be involved. And, of course, Ed's contributing too, which is just an extra bonus for me!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  01:33:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I tried to post earlier, Elaine also, I think, is in talks with them for some material as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  14:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

As I tried to post earlier, Elaine also, I think, is in talks with them for some material as well.

Just when I thought good news couldn't get any better...

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  16:24:49  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

*lets out some sort of noise of happiness (that might just be a squeal), and attempts to do a merry jig (but not very well )* I'm so happy! Yay! I can get behind Paizo because they still care about what their customers think!

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  18:18:17  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods*

It's true, Elaine is on board. Based on what I read (her live journal), she'll be doing work for the main Pathfinder books. The time seems to coincide with the start of the 3rd adventure path, Second Darkness, which focuses on Golarion's version of the Underdark.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 13 May 2008 18:21:07
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  19:41:53  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... One has to speculate, with so many prominent FR authors, and designers who where involved with 3e and earlier D&D (whether as TSR/WotC employees or as freelancers) working on the Pathfinder, one might see it as their unspoken endorsement of it as the next incarnation of D&D over 4e D&D. And who knows, maybe they will begin a Pathfinder novel line... *go back to his corner filled with stacks of books and continues his thoughts and speculations quietly to himself*

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  01:16:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

*nods*

It's true, Elaine is on board. Based on what I read (her live journal), she'll be doing work for the main Pathfinder books. The time seems to coincide with the start of the 3rd adventure path, Second Darkness, which focuses on Golarion's version of the Underdark.

That's great!

Now, if only Steven Schend could be somehow also be involved. I'd be completely set -- with Ed, Jeff, Elaine, and Steven all working together again.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  01:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Pathfinder is fine and all, but it's not the Forgotten Realms so really holds no interest for me.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  01:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'm sure Pathfinder is fine and all, but it's not the Forgotten Realms so really holds no interest for me.

I agree.
I think it would take years for Pathfinder to develop the breadth and depth of the Realms, and I feel I have barely scratched the surface of the gaming possibilities of the Realms.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  03:25:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

*nods*

That's great!

Now, if only Steven Schend could be somehow also be involved. I'd be completely set -- with Ed, Jeff, Elaine, and Steven all working together again.

Aw, thanks, Sage. That would be a lot of fun to get the old band back together, so to speak. And I could use the work.

Steven
who's looking forward to playing in a Pathfinder playtest as a half-orc sorcerer/cleric of Nethys (his first half-orc EVER)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  05:48:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome bud! And personally, I'd love to see you back in work too.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  16:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The thing is, beyond Steven's novel, Blackstaff Tower, the 4e Realms holds no interest for me, as of yet. That might change come August, but on this I am very cynical. So, after I finally finish my Realms collection of all novels and other products from 3e and prior (which will likely take more than a couple years) then Pathfinder might be developed enough by then for it to gain my interest. Plus, overall, I follow authors as much as shared worlds (if not more so), so if some of my favorite Realms authors end up writing novels for Pathfinder (pure speculation at this point, don't take this for fact and ask me for a link), then it is very likely I will follow them. For example, if you, Brian, were commissioned by Paizo to help develop a Grand History of Golarion, then I would most likely buy it. This is not to say that I do not love the Realms, but in writing excellent Realms novels and products, you authors are gaining my personal loyalty, not just my loyalty to the setting.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 14 May 2008 16:17:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  16:48:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True, it isn't the Realms... Yet.

With WotC's current policy of trying to gain new fans and not really worrying about existing fans, plus the fact that we're only getting one year of Realms products, there simply isn't much for the fans of the setting to look forward to.

Pathfinder, on the other hand, is starting off with some big names -- people that have proven themselves in the gaming world. And while Paizo is also in the business of making money, they're not being driven to go bigger by doing things like the "RSE of the Week" trend WotC fell into. Paizo is giving every indication that they listen to the fans and that the fans are important -- so they're doing what we've been asking WotC to do for years.

Yeah, Pathfinder isn't FR. But it's a setting being built by some trusted FR names, and it's being built by a company that believes that the way to make money is to listen to the fans and give them what they want.

So it's not the Realms, and I'm sure the flavor will be different. But with WotC mutilating and then forgetting the Realms, Pathfinder has the potential to grow into something that we'll all love just as much once WotC has collapsed and the Realms are just a fond memory.

Don't read me wrong -- I'm not giving up on the Realms. But it appears that WotC is, and unless 5th edition fixes what they're currently ruining, then the Realms will never be what it was.

Spelljammer was once my favorite setting. Then they came out with some horrible products, like Krynnspace and The Astromundi Cluster, and ruined the setting -- and then dropped it. And then I fell in love with the Realms.

The Realms I fell in love with are being kicked to the curb. So it's entirely possible that Pathfinder will become the new favorite setting.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 May 2008 16:49:24
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  18:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, world-hopping is supposed to be common motif in the Realms. You could always have PCs from the FR travel to Golarion (sp?).

Pathfinder isn't the FR, but I'm open to trying out new settings. I have plenty of love to give--I can love more than just one setting. With Ed and other people I've come to trust working on that setting, it's highly likely there are going to be elements in this new setting that helped attract me to the Realms so many years ago.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 14 May 2008 18:15:14
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  18:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I've seen of Pathfinder/Golarion so far... bloody cool! Not the WotC propaganda "cool", but really cool.

Is it the Realms? No, how could it be? BUT it is the most interesting setting to come my way since the (pre 4e) Realms. Plus the first adventure paths are really frickin' awesome!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  20:30:19  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll go chack it out tonight to see what all this talk is about. Must be something....

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  20:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really enjoying the Pathfinder arcs and find it's a fabulous way of building a world--keep the focus on what's needed for a good adventure, but build with small steps and introduce a larger world that way.

Can you imagine if the Realms had been originally produced like this? That would have been interesting...

Then again, would people have stuck around if TSR has an entire adventure path of 6 parts in each ward in Waterdeep?

Steven Schend
who always wanted to use an adventure trilogy to slowly expand knowledge of localized areas, but adventures became fewer and fewer during his tenure at TSR/WotC

Go to Top of Page

TheLemming
Acolyte

Austria
16 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2008 :  07:05:52  Show Profile  Visit TheLemming's Homepage Send TheLemming a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks very promising to me, we just switched from 3.5 to Pathfinder playtesting. I've finished reading Alpha 2 (I think it's today or tomorrow when we get the #3).
Guys, it's fabulous. My main critique for 4e is the World of Warcraft Style - I mean, class definitions as blocker, striker, ... come on. Where's the feeling gone?
I've been through 2e and I loved it, I loved skills and powers, and all mini expansions they put into this and it was a tough decision to switch to 3rd edition, but our group made it.
Now it seems like all that counts is, win a few new players, don't care for the rpg feeling itself and with the FR changes, it seems like my favorite setting for about 16 years (more than half of my life) is finally down and dying at least in official ways...

Expect a lot of pathfinder, completely revamped broken spells like polymorph and identical abilities (never have your level 10 druid easily dispatch your fighter again) - a lot of flair elements with sorcerers drawing their powers from special bloodlines, specialist wizards with more than one bonus spell and a few boni here and there - but real powers in their specialisation area...

It seems a very good system, they even managed to have creative grappling rules, and simplified all the attack options (trip, grapple, overrun, ...) into a CMB value with the result depending on the difference of a static defense value and the attack result. It is at least something we (our group= will test in the coming weeks. It has nice elements, and whether you like the setting or not, Pathfinder is mainly about rules and very easy to use in the 3rd edition Forgotten Realms... So have a look, it really looks promising.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  23:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i've skimmed whole Alpha 2 and no major eyesores so far ... some stuff i had to reread to understand the logic behind but in no way any eyesores ... looks really promising and is problery going to throw it after my GM so we could make a small playtest of it :)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  00:19:42  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah ha! Now I know why you, Steven, have appeared on the Paizo forums all of a sudden.. this thread! *pats self on the back* :)

Alpha 3 comes out this week.. probably Wednesday. So if you haven't signed up for a free account, you should to get them when they come out. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  14:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah ha! Now I know why you, Steven, have appeared on the Paizo forums all of a sudden.. this thread! *pats self on the back* :)

Alpha 3 comes out this week.. probably Wednesday. So if you haven't signed up for a free account, you should to get them when they come out. :)

Yes, Urza, I've seen you and a number of others, like the Knight Errant, over there. Glad you're behaving (unlike some confrontational others) and showing proper Realmsian gentlemen's behavior.

In truth, I'd been lurking for a while at Paizo's boards with nothing to post until I got corralled into a playtest game. I'd downloaded the Alpha 1 and 2 releases of the rules and found them intriguing, and I'm looking forward to the game immensely.

Astounding that all it took for me to play a half-orc after 25 years of gaming was to drop that Charisma penalty...so I've got my cleric of a god of magic who looks like a hairier Hugh Jackman with yellow eyes and pointed ears (no tusks, please). Should be amusing to try out, as we're using the Crimson Throne Adventure Path and I've already been framed for murder before the game's even started!

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  15:22:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard the Pathfinder express!!!

I've only got two posts under my belt over there so far, but now that the 3e FR boards are gone over at WotC, I plan to participate more at Paizo.

Well Met.

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Should be amusing to try out, as we're using the Crimson Throne Adventure Path and I've already been framed for murder before the game's even started!
Sounds intriguing....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 May 2008 22:12:49
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  16:03:49  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, I wish I could change my nick on the Paizo boards... over there I post as Archgamer

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  16:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Astounding that all it took for me to play a half-orc after 25 years of gaming was to drop that Charisma penalty...so I've got my cleric of a god of magic who looks like a hairier Hugh Jackman with yellow eyes and pointed ears (no tusks, please).
Now, now, Steven. You know what they say about portraying yourself at the gaming table... ;)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  17:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm scoping out the Paizo boards right now. Unfortunately, I'm finding the layout to be rather confusing and hard to navigate.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  17:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'm scoping out the Paizo boards right now. Unfortunately, I'm finding the layout to be rather confusing and hard to navigate.

hehe, if you can handle Wizards's maze, Paizo's boards should be no problem at all. At least for me they weren't

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  20:01:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Ditto. I was going to sign up over there, but I couldn't figure out the forum layout.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 May 2008 20:10:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000