Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Elven Houses
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ACIS
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  02:25:12  Show Profile  Visit ACIS's Homepage Send ACIS a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello people!

Does anyone know if there exists any more knowledge on Elven Houses, noble or otherwise, other than what is mentioned in the 2ed references of "Elves of Evermeet", "The Ruins of Myth Drannor", and Cormanthyr: Kingdom of the Elves"?

Soecifically, I am looking to expand/flesh out existing houses from Evermeet but if there is already information on them posted somewhere in this vast library....could someone show me where? I tried searches but I get that darn time-out error >.<

Let's start with a single house: House Korianthil.

Anything anyone can give other than the stated resources?

Thanks!!

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  06:22:01  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's the (currently and perpetually) under-construction Forgotten Realms wiki, which has a short blurb on House Korianthil.

As far as I know, Hatharal is the only named Korianthil with any clout, and he's still residing in Leuthilspar (or at least, was, circa 1368 DR).

Sorry I can't be of more help. >_<

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  10:21:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to look over at the WotC boards, in particular at the Elves of Faerun Project, that some scribes from Candlekeep work on.
Aside from this hint I'm afraid I cannot be of miuch help to you as my knowledge on elves is rather limited.

Good luck though.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 22 Jun 2008 10:22:49
Go to Top of Page

ACIS
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  01:10:03  Show Profile  Visit ACIS's Homepage Send ACIS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies! I'll go check out your offers riiiiight now

----

EDIT: Ok, went to the wiki but wasn't much there...more in the Elves of Evermeet book.. Thank you very much, even still!!

Went to the Elven netboook and, while I knew about this already, did not have any familial record outside of a couple organizations. That's ok though and I still very much appreciate your time in posting ;) Cheers!!

Edited by - ACIS on 25 Jun 2008 01:38:09
Go to Top of Page

ACIS
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  02:07:40  Show Profile  Visit ACIS's Homepage Send ACIS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CHANGE OF GEARS

Ok, this still has to do with Elven houses.

There's two types of Elven "houses" that I have gleaned from every resource I could get my hands on. They all boil down to:

-Nobles Houses
-The rest

Now my interpretation of how they interact, based on what I've read in reference books and novels on the FR Elves, is what follows. Please do comment on why you'd agree or disagree, with reasons. Here we go:

Alright, based on what I've read...hints and tid-bits here and there only, mind you (and even those are vague at best)...is that there are Elven Noble Houses (named in the books and other references; i.e. Durothil, Starym, Aelorothi, etc) and then there are 'others' not named but elven people running around with interesting surnames; e.g. Merith Strongbow of Knights of Myth Drannor fame.

Alright, so my take on the 'Houses' is that they are setup much like Scottish clans...or 'septs'...where you have the main noble house and then you have affiliated families under the house name.

Example: House Durothil's clan would consist of the Durothil noble family, with Strongbow, Winterflower, and Elventree families rounding out the clan.

This would produce of course the Durothils as the nobles, and would be named such: Keela Durothil

The 'septs' would be titled as: R'theil Strongbow of House Durothil.

This is very much like the old scottish sept/clan structures of olde. So, while the family Strongbow would be thier own family name, of course, they are essentially considered representatives of the Durothil 'clan', and would espouse thier Noble House's plans and goals.

And then there's the free-roamers. Those who do not espouse any Noble family or clan but still retain a surname, but in secret, naming themselves to everyone by first name only.

-or-

Any accepted elf into a House, takes on the last name, essentially replacing thier former surname with the new House name. Hmm..

Thoughts? Anyone have an alternate angle for discussion?

[EDIT] One of those tidbits I was referring to that strongly refers to this clan/sept mentality I mention is actually given here by Elaine Cunningham, under the FR FAQ, section 4.14.1. What’s the status of Evermeet’s royal family? What happened to the children of Zaor and Amlaruil?

There it refers to the 'monarchy', 'nobility', etc. One cannot have those things in rank and status unless there are commoners as well, etc, et al., ad nauseum. In other words, there is a Queen, a court, Nobles, so on and so forth.

Some excerpts from this Noble line's siblings are below. Those things underlined and in bold strongly suggest my theory:

"Hhora left Evermeet determined to wed a commoner she met ..."

"The queen sent them to the Moonshaes for fosterage among the elves of Sonoria..."

"Another set of female twins, Lazziar and Genstarzah, both trained as warriors and served as diplomats to mainland elves."

"Amnestria was a battle mage, and King Zaor's favorite child. She was betrothed to Elaith Craulnober, a distant kinsman who served as captain of the King's Guard."

"Or perhaps another form of government, one not based on monarchy or hereditary nobility, will evolve. One thing is certain: Lamruil will return to Evermeet to rule only if he feels the island has no other acceptible options. He would gladly throw his support behind a likely candidate for the throne. Like most of Toril's elves, however, he hopes that the end of Queen Amlaruil's reign will be very long in coming"

Edited by - ACIS on 25 Jun 2008 03:58:34
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  18:41:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

You might want to look over at the WotC boards, in particular at the Elves of Faerun Project, that some scribes from Candlekeep work on.
Aside from this hint I'm afraid I cannot be of miuch help to you as my knowledge on elves is rather limited.

Good luck though.

-I'm a sage from WotC, not Candlekeep.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  18:49:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Anyway, ACIS, I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for...Elven society follows very much the structure that European society followed, concerning nobles and the upper class and such. Certain families, of great wealth, age, and prestige are "ennobled". Other families that do not have these qualities are not. Obviously, as one would rather be from a noble family than a non-noble family, these noble families (and mind you, this term isn't something that's concrete. A 'noble' family can gain status, and/or lose status at any time, given whatever circumstances) develop secondary branches- septs. I wouldn't be surprised if they developed tertiary branches. Some septs branch out on their own, and become families in their own right. Some don't.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Pranto
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  21:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Pranto's Homepage Send Pranto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But if you take the Drow for exemple, their lastnames are the name of the house (ex: Drizzt of house Daermon N'a'shezbaernon or Viconia of House DeVir)although I wonder how they call the non-noble? If I take your exemple with the surface elves, maybe Strongbow or Winterflower are qualifier and "of house Durothil" their lastnames...

Butt kicking for goodness.-Minsc
Go to Top of Page

ACIS
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  03:50:54  Show Profile  Visit ACIS's Homepage Send ACIS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dagnirion--

Yep that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for =) I was just tossing out the question and facts as I have gathered them, presented them here for commentary (yea or nay) to see if I was accurate since there isn't anything actually concrete that says "its like this".

It may seem a small thing, but you've actually helped quite a lot ;) Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  04:10:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pranto

But if you take the Drow for exemple, their lastnames are the name of the house (ex: Drizzt of house Daermon N'a'shezbaernon or Viconia of House DeVir)although I wonder how they call the non-noble? If I take your exemple with the surface elves, maybe Strongbow or Winterflower are qualifier and "of house Durothil" their lastnames...

-Valas Hune is not a noble. He goes by the name 'Valas Hune'. So, precedence shows that it follows the form we use, 'name and surname'.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  04:11:04  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ACIS

Dagnirion--

Yep that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for =) I was just tossing out the question and facts as I have gathered them, presented them here for commentary (yea or nay) to see if I was accurate since there isn't anything actually concrete that says "its like this".

-No problem. You know who to come to for all your Elven-related questions.

-Perhaps I'll include an article on Elven ancestry...Perhaps you'd like to contribute, in lieu of this "relevation"...?

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 09 Jul 2008 04:12:17
Go to Top of Page

ACIS
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  01:01:41  Show Profile  Visit ACIS's Homepage Send ACIS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by ACIS

Dagnirion--

-No problem. You know who to come to for all your Elven-related questions.

-Perhaps I'll include an article on Elven ancestry...Perhaps you'd like to contribute, in lieu of this "relevation"...?

Dagnirion--

Sure thing. Let me know whatcha want and I'll jump on it! ;)

Apologies it took a bit for response...works been a real B...with an itch >.>

Feel free to PM me if you want to pursue this further ;)

Edited by - ACIS on 25 Jul 2008 01:03:25
Go to Top of Page

Spell
Acolyte

Croatia
3 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  09:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Spell's Homepage Send Spell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'm actually developing icons for maps for adventuring in FR.
Of course this is my own initiative and non-profit for 100%.
To be honest i have just started to develop elements for maps but i would gladly develop maps for specific places, like temples, estates, inn's etc.

Im using standard graphic apps for drawings + plus i have one old-school illustrator
for help regrading details of maps.

So the reason I'm saying this is because if any of u fellas here is willing to share his knowledge regrading this matter i would be glad to develop maps so you can enjoy it on your RP sessions.

I would need of DM's to provide crucial info like basic dimensions, look like of insides etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000