Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Should we stop it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  12:33:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In Running the Realms, I created a topic on Realistic Role-Playing, and Sage and I have both been posting a lot of trivia of the sort that we want to share with others. The point of it is that we want to help others fill in bits on the background life of a world like the Realms; mostly medieval, but also some Renaissance and ancient (ie, Roman, Greek) information.

The idea was to give DMs and players the sort of knowledge that characters might have. A fighter would know about tactics, a ranger or druid would know about animals and plants, a cleric or monk would know about mysticism. We want to help you with that sort of thing.

The issue is that for all the information we've been puting there (currently eight pages) the reading count is abyssmally low. A big chunk of that number will be both me and Sage, clicking on the topic to see what the other's come up with, or to post a new piece of trivia.

So, I (and, I'm sure, Sage) want to know if we're just wasting our time. Is anyone reading this topic, and -- more importantly -- benefiting from it? Or should we just shut up? We've had zero feedback, and we'd like to know how things are going.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  12:43:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree Bookwyrm. I would like to know. I still have some varied items to add, but if forums users are not profiting from this information, I feel it might be better to just close the scroll and place it back onto the shelf.

At any rate, feedback is important. The only person who has ever made comments about keeping the scroll open is Herr Doktor, and while Bookwyrm and I appreciate that, we would like more additions, or requests for help.

Please let us know your opinions on this .

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  22:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't anyone have something to say on this matter?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  23:19:46  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking for something in the nature of a poll:

Am I interested? No.

Should you stop it? Only if you want to or the admins make you. If it doesn't bother the admins, why should it bother anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  23:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truthfully guys, I was hesitant to say this because you two are extremely prolific when it comes to really relevant information, or more precisely, info that has worth.

But I have to say the info there, however interesting, I really didn't have a use for. There probably were some on the site that found it useful, but it was just like historical trivia when reading the topic.

I look forward to most of your posts guys, but this one was a little, boring really.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, though.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  00:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know. I've a feeling you aren't; as I said, the reader count was very low, and it took this long for someone to say something.

Oh well. So much for that idea.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  03:02:32  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took this long for you to ask. Did you expect someone to post "I find this topic boring, stop posting to it"?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  03:48:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a word, yes. And I have asked before, in that same topic; when no answer was forthcoming, I opened this one, so as to better make my question obvious. I suppose you'd be thinking the answer obvious as well, but I wanted someone to say it.

And if you found it so disagreeable, Bran, why didn't you say so?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  05:12:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I would have to agree with Bookwyrm.

Bran, if you had certain feelings or opinions about this sort of thing, we would have appreciated that you had voiced your concerns earlier.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  08:55:57  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm and Sage:

It's not my job to save you from wearing out your fingers. If you two want to have a discussion that invloves you two only, like I said, if Alaundo doesn't care, why should I? If you posted something I thought was offensive, and I read it, I might have said something. Your implication is that I should have said something simply because I was uninterested. So, shall we all start posting "I'm not interested in this topic, so I'm not going to post here" in all the topics we find uninteresting? You think that'll get the Alaundo Seal of Approval?

Bookwyrm:

If people aren't reading a topic, it's not really going to get you anywhere if you post in that topic asking if people are interested in the topic. That's like sending an e-mail to someone telling him his e-mail is malfunctioning. Also, you needed to ask the question explicitly? The fact that no one else was, by your own admission, even reading the topic, let alone posting there, wasn't enough info to tell you most people weren't interested?

And let me reiterate, I do not care if you, your cousins, their spouses, pets and ancestral spirits all engage in a discussion I am not interested in. I will simply ignore it. I assume others do the same.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  09:24:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I personally disagree with the majority of your post Bran, I can appreciate and understand your point.

Still, I prefer it that, for every person who may dislike the material Bookwyrm or myself post, feedback of any type is much appreciated.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jun 2003 09:26:14
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  19:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

'Tis indeed disheartening to see certain penned scrolls not receiving the attention they deserve. However, my Senior Scribes herewith, do not worry too much, 'tis a quiet time of the year and many scribes are busy with other activities outside of the library at the present time (Oghma forbid whatever such activities could be more important than Realmslore ).

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 28 Jun 2003 19:24:46
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  03:20:58  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I am glad that you posted this question. I had not seen this topic, and in looking at it I found that it actually answered a few of the questions I had when I was writing on my story. Personally, I would encourage you to keep posting to it.

Also, I once commented on a thread to the effect that I didn't see the point in the topic. I was told simply if you don't like it (or aren't interested) ignore it. I would assume this is why many people have not posted on your topic.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  04:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, Bran, tell us how you really feel. Seriously, you have to work on that attitude. Why is it that you always sound like you're spoiling for a fight?

I understand everything you were saying. However, as I said before, I prefer others to tell me. I don't like to just assume. As for posting in the topic itself, when I did that, I hadn't noticed the reader count. I was assuming that others were reading it.

It looks, though, that we have two nays, one aye, and one (I assume) go-ahead-and-do-it. I suppose that Alaundo doesn't mind our taking up his shelf space.

So, I think we'll do this. We start it up again, but in a more orderly fashion. Sage, let's get our notes in order; that way we won't just be throwing out things at random. And maybe by the time we have that, others might have some questions for us, or tidbits of their own.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  08:44:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A wonderful idea Bookwyrm. How do you wish to proceed?.

Shall we organise our notes through the Ethereal Mail service, or by some other means (namely these forums)?.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  10:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I love what you two scribes add to this forum. Unfortunately I havent been around lately so did get the opportunity to read your topic (or many of the other topics over the past couple of weeks), but it sounds very interesting from the first few posts that I read. As Alaundo says, I think its a quiet time due to exams and holidays etc.

Stick at it fella's! Put me down as a "aye"

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  11:28:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Shall we organise our notes through the Ethereal Mail service, or by some other means (namely these forums)?.

Um . . . I don't know. I was mainly thinking I'd better correct the general disorder of my own notes, so that I could have a common theme as I posted.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  13:39:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it would be a better idea for one of us to suggest a theme for a day, or two, and go from there. Or even better, allow others to suggest a theme.

What do you think Bookwyrm?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  16:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. Let others select a theme. That way we won't be going off on some tangent that no one but ourselves would be interested in -- as, I'm sure, you know we are wont to do!

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  20:13:20  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm:
quote:
Gee, Bran, tell us how you really feel. Seriously, you have to work on that attitude. Why is it that you always sound like you're spoiling for a fight?

Why does it seem it's always with you?
quote:
I understand everything you were saying. However, as I said before, I prefer others to tell me. I don't like to just assume. As for posting in the topic itself, when I did that, I hadn't noticed the reader count. I was assuming that others were reading it. <snip>

Sounds to me like you're just complaining that not enough people are expressing interest in something you find interseting. I started a topic once that no one seemed interested in. I let it hang around for a few days, then I deleted it, since it was obivously of no interest to anyone but me. Maybe not for you, but for me the complete lack of interest was sufficient feedback. I didn't then preceed to publicly lament about it.

Before you leap to conclusions, I am not saying your Realistic Roleplaying topic suffers from a complete lack of interest.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  20:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm absolutely sick of you accusing me of childish behavior. Kindly stop.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  08:47:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
branmakmuffin said -
quote:
Sounds to me like you're just complaining that not enough people are expressing interest in something you find interseting. I started a topic once that no one seemed interested in. I let it hang around for a few days, then I deleted it, since it was obivously of no interest to anyone but me. Maybe not for you, but for me the complete lack of interest was sufficient feedback. I didn't then preceed to publicly lament about it.

Before you leap to conclusions, I am not saying your Realistic Roleplaying topic suffers from a complete lack of interest.
I appreciate your thoughts on this Bran. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  23:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one, haven't been around for a while and didn't get the chance to look it over. As son as I'm done posting this, I'm going to go check it out. If it's as much about medieval history as I have been made to beleive it is, I hop eyou continue to share your knowledge with us.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  05:28:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly intend to try to keep posting useful tidbits. It is just finding the right material to post so that it can be useful to others as well as be interesting to me.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  07:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here, Sage. Sometimes "oh, that sounds interesting" is all the justification I need to put it in my notes, regardless of how much I'm likely to use it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  08:19:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, little realising how many of my 'notebooks' eventually become so full to be nearly at breaking point. Also, when your notebooks are well into double-digits in terms of numbering, may also hold little significance with regards to information useage.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jul 2003 13:12:51
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  09:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. That's where electronics come in handy. The only time I was writing in a dead-tree notebook was before I got my (computer) notebook; I had to keep up with things while at school. Now I have the electronic version, the only paper I use is for my drawings.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  09:53:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking about buying a new PDA. Which model do you have, and if you can tell me, how much did it cost you in US$.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  10:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was talking about a computer -- the big, laptop kind. I do have a PDA, though, which I do use for writing when I'm out, and also for some free electronic books I read during the same (a PDA fitting into a pocket better than most dead-tree versions.

I don't know how much it cost, though, as it was a gift from my father two Christmases ago. It's a Handspring, though you don't really want my model. There are so many other models out now; my Astronomy professor has a cell-PDA with Internet access and a backlit color screen. I think there's an optional one out there with a port for one of those cameras.

I suggest you look around for some good reviews. That's what my father did before finally buying a digital camera a week ago.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  10:32:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you meant, it's just the notebook conversion made me think of my old PDA, and how it needs desperately to be updated. As for my laptop, I use it for work, university, and in fact anywhere that I can take it. I am having a few problems with the operating system running on it at this point, though you'd think a programmer would have all his machines operating perfectly...hmmm...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  10:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think we've done enough unRealmsian things for now. Let's not have Alaundo breathing down our necks.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000