Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Elminster and Mystra
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aina Grey
Acolyte

Austria
43 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  19:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Aina Grey's Homepage Send Aina Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
the current Mystra is only some years around per FRCS,
so the question arose to my mind WHICH Mystra Elminster did "bed", some old one or the ascended mortal?

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  19:11:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old one, who was ALSO an ascended mortal.

NOT Mystryl, the original AFAIK.

and NOT Midnight, who looked at Elminster as a 'father figure' more then anything alse.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  19:43:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

and NOT Midnight, who looked at Elminster as a 'father figure' more then anything alse.

Mystra 1.0 was not an ascended mortal. When Mystryl was slain, she reincarnated herself into Mystra 1.0.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  20:46:05  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, don't worry about all this Mystra-thingy. 'Tis confusing sometimes. After all, the confusion was enough to make the designers at WoTC go mad over it. But for all future to come this problem is solved now...

If you have not already done so, you can read about thisparticular romantic liason in 'Elminster - Making of the Mage'.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  21:07:03  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Ah, don't worry about all this Mystra-thingy. 'Tis confusing sometimes. After all, the confusion was enough to make the designers at WoTC go mad over it. But for all future to come this problem is solved now...

Ya... kill Mystra off so we don't have to get confused about who's who. Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11734 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  21:29:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He bedded all 3. First he bedded Mystra. But, the old deity, Mystryl, had foreseen what a good lover he was and used a spell to summon him back in time for a rampant session in bed. Then Midnight was watching him work over a dragon and got all hot and bothered and decided she needed a little piece of El-cake. The kinkiest was when he was fooling around with Selune in her avatar form of a were-bear (he wanted to see what Mom was like).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  21:43:29  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

He bedded all 3. First he bedded Mystra. But, the old deity, Mystryl, had foreseen what a good lover he was and used a spell to summon him back in time for a rampant session in bed. Then Midnight was watching him work over a dragon and got all hot and bothered and decided she needed a little piece of El-cake. The kinkiest was when he was fooling around with Selune in her avatar form of a were-bear (he wanted to see what Mom was like).

You know what's the scary thing about all you just said? In the new 4E manual... that's gonna be all true.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  22:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

You know what's the scary thing about all you just said? In the new 4E manual... that's gonna be all true.

I take it having gotten your hands on the tidbits of the 4e Realms that they have published that you do not approve? And for some reason WotC seems confused that we are not accepting the "new" Realms with open arms!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  23:30:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Mystra 1.0 was not an ascended mortal. When Mystryl was slain, she reincarnated herself into Mystra 1.0.

Okay... I can't remember where now, but I remember another thread and folks pointing me in the right direction.

Supposedly, when Karsus cast his spell, some 'special' girl living somewhere in the vicinity of Cormyr/the Dales (Tilverton?) was infused with Mystrl's energy, and became Mystra.

I'll try to track that piece of Lore down....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  23:57:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may be thinking of the bit in the Netheril boxed set that says when Mystryl reincarnated herself, "she used the form of a beautiful peasant girl learning the basics of cantra magic but with the capacities for archwizardry."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  05:27:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I guess that could be read as a mortal ascension, though it's really an odd bit of wording, and an odd thing to say.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  07:36:41  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

I take it having gotten your hands on the tidbits of the 4e Realms that they have published that you do not approve? And for some reason WotC seems confused that we are not accepting the "new" Realms with open arms!

Well, from the looks of things, there's going to be good and bad, with more of the bad right now. I guess it's too early to tell. Lol.

Anyways, back to the topic. I have a question concerning Mystra's powers. Does the Goddess of Magic's powers seem to get weaker as it is passed along to each successor? I'm just speculating because that's sort of the message I'm getting with the actions by the current Mystra.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  11:07:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyways, back to the topic. I have a question concerning Mystra's powers. Does the Goddess of Magic's powers seem to get weaker as it is passed along to each successor? I'm just speculating because that's sort of the message I'm getting with the actions by the current Mystra.

I don't think so... I think it's just because the new Mystra is still trying to figure out the whole deity gig.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  15:55:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I read that bit yesterday in the Netheril boxed set, but that is NOT what I was thinking of - I asked someone else that should know, but he says he is 95% sure that that information (about a 'special' girl) was from HERE, at CK, and in something ED wrote!

Which means that The Sage should have had the information, which he doesn't, which makes this whole thing even more peculiar.

I just went through the FAQ, and it wasn't in there, so it must be in one of Ed's replies...

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Feb 2008 15:55:36
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  17:02:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, I read that bit yesterday in the Netheril boxed set, but that is NOT what I was thinking of - I asked someone else that should know, but he says he is 95% sure that that information (about a 'special' girl) was from HERE, at CK, and in something ED wrote!

Which means that The Sage should have had the information, which he doesn't, which makes this whole thing even more peculiar.

I just went through the FAQ, and it wasn't in there, so it must be in one of Ed's replies...

April 17, 2006: Hi again, fellow scribes. Ed replies to this, from Taelohn: “... While Midnight's ascension to become (the second) Mystra is well documented, most mentions of the death of Mystryl say that she was "reborn" or "reincarnated" as (the first) Mystra. I suppose I always just assumed that Mystra sort of "sprung into existence" as a new deity.

Does this instead imply that Mystryl bestowed her powers onto a mortal woman, just as she sacrificed herself? Perhaps someone she had vested powers in (like a Chosen)? If so, who was (the first) Mystra in her mortal life?”

Ed speaks:

Taelohn, Rory Weston is quite correct; most of the gods of the Realms were indeed “at one time mortal & "ascended" to the position.” And yes, “forgotten” gods dwindle to demigod status, and can in some cases be eliminated (killed, AND their worship wrested away/portfolios subsumed by other deities) by mortals or by other deities.

In the case of Mystryl, she sacrificed herself, not foreseeing that she’d be reborn. She had no Chosen or preselected mortal vessel, and did not know or intend that she’d “live on.” She simply did what she believed she had to do, to end a threat to the world she loved.

However, the circumstances of her passing prevented other deities from snaring her divine power, and largely prevented its dispersal, and it “fell like a dying star” to earth (or so the priests of Mystra say) to at random strike and “go into” a mindless, drooling mortal woman and infuse her with Mystryl’s divinity, so that she became Mystra. (Of course, clergy of Mystra speak of the woman being present and selected as “divine fate” and not random at all, but this is one of the Holy Mysteries of the Lady of Mysteries that only high-ranking clergy are allowed to discuss in detail; lay worshippers and non-believers won’t get much more out of a priest of Mystra than this: “When Mystryl made the ultimate and most holy sacrifice that defended Toril itself, that which was best of her fell to earth, and struck a mortal woman, and went into her, and Mystryl was reborn as Mystra, as she was fated to do, that we may all have magic that serves us and not the howling chaos of wild magic spellstorms.”

We don’t know anything about the mortal woman who became Mystra other than these things: she was young, she was “mindless” (for reasons unknown; it may have been a birth defect or a later affliction), she was a poor rural unknown somewhere in the northern, western Heartlands being cared for by kin, and she was changed in looks and stature by Mystryl’s “going in” to her. I’d say more, but NDAs forbid.

So saith Ed, Creator of All (The Realms).

love to all,
THO

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  17:08:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected. I had forgotten about that.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  18:14:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its quite alright - with the amount of homebrew lore I generate and read from others daily, I would rather have learned scribes call me to task - sometimes I forget what is canon and what is not.

Cheers --- Mark.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2008 :  06:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if these NDAs still apply now that 4ed is brooding above our heads ...

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2008 :  08:08:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, I forgot to thank you for that piece of Lore, Kuje.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2008 :  15:50:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW, I forgot to thank you for that piece of Lore, Kuje.

No worries. :) I figured that was what you were talking about. Took me a bit to find it though.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000