Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Mercenaries, or followers?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fhaorn quessir
Seeker

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  07:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Fhaorn quessir's Homepage Send Fhaorn quessir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My party Im DMing for recently bought a castle near Sundabar. They want some soldiers and guards so are inquiring upon mercenaries. My question is if mercenary companies usually would hire out as permanent soldiers or not.

Wander ye all to my humble gallery of art of the Realms, Ye'll find it right next to the Sly Wink Alehouse in Sumberton. Or at this page: http://goldendwarf.deviantart.com/

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  12:06:00  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if the money is good and they are sick of marching and fighting and prefer less money but a steady income and perhaps less excitement then I can't see why mercenaries wouldn't give up bloodwork for something else.

Also seems a perfect opportunity for the chracters to attract a few cohorts and a novice adventuring band or two to help out as well?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  14:12:05  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... it depends on money...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2008 :  19:17:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fhaorn quessir

My party Im DMing for recently bought a castle near Sundabar. They want some soldiers and guards so are inquiring upon mercenaries. My question is if mercenary companies usually would hire out as permanent soldiers or not.

For a permanent garrison, I would recommend they hire locals for such work. Down on their luck peasants would love the opportunity to not only defend their home area; but would have a more vested interest in defending the castle that their family now lives near.

Temporarily, the characters could hire mercenaries to train the locals, then perhaps hold onto the mercenaries for patrols and strikes against "enemies" in an ever widening area to clear things out.

This could give the mercs lots to do, and eventually the Party could be done with them and be left with a more loyal group of "locals" who have moved their families to the area to work for the Party.

If you are near Sundabar...should be lots of Dwarven Mercs available that would be more than willing to both hire on as trainers and to scour the land of any monsters.

Just my thoughts.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2008 :  21:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

For a permanent garrison, I would recommend they hire locals for such work. Down on their luck peasants would love the opportunity to not only defend their home area; but would have a more vested interest in defending the castle that their family now lives near.

Temporarily, the characters could hire mercenaries to train the locals, then perhaps hold onto the mercenaries for patrols and strikes against "enemies" in an ever widening area to clear things out.

I think that's a great idea. You can use both mercenaries and locals...and of course, some mercenaries might very well also be locals.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  04:02:57  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i agree with dalor & rinon. if the castle is new it would also attract new homesteaders to join that force. Most true mercenaries would probably want to leave after a while, road lust or war lust. this would be an easy way for them to exit anyway.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  22:40:24  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice ideas everyone.
Perhaps as a new Lord/Count/Duke he gets the support of nearby kingdoms? perhaps Silverymoon lends some knights in orders to protect the new settlement? (joining the S.Marches is a pre-req ?) Refusing to join the S.marches may anger some local powers or make other feel threatened and that may lead to various events (i.e Sundabar declares your maximum troop limit is 100 troops etc)

Another idea is that the new ruler (your PC) is contacted by various NPCs with combat experience (veteran warriors,mercenaries/renegade knights/ex-bandits) with combat experience offering their services and loyalty for titles, ranks and steady payment. (i.e Renald the Dexterous - before he lost his left arm leading him to an early retirement from the purple dragons, and a life of boredom - is willing to train your peasants to carry weapons and make basic formations, in excange he wants to become the captain of the guard so he can lead men into battle once again)

Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  23:38:07  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Work with the locals. Lads and lasses saving up for their own farms or businesses may be willing to sign on for four to eight years, and when they have "retired", those still in the area will be better prepared to defend their own homes. Over time, investing in local talent will make the whole region better defended. Win-win.

That said, yes, it is natural to hire some professionals (mercenaries) to provide training to local levies.
Go to Top of Page

Fhaorn quessir
Seeker

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  01:54:55  Show Profile  Visit Fhaorn quessir's Homepage Send Fhaorn quessir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank ye for the help. In the present my PC's are more concerned about using the wilderness castle as an outpost for their soon-to-be seige on a nearby noble fortress (this one does have a hamlet around it). They may clear out the monsters and forest to open up a village, which is when all your help will prove invaluable.

Thank you everyone,
Fhaorn'quessir

Wander ye all to my humble gallery of art of the Realms, Ye'll find it right next to the Sly Wink Alehouse in Sumberton. Or at this page: http://goldendwarf.deviantart.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000