Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Skills and Feats of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  09:11:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well...either way, I just thought it might be useful given the description of your character that you had provided.

I remember playing Civilization, and Fantasy General, but I believe there was also another game in the ...General series produced by SSI that I tried to get my hands on once. It was a space-oriented version I think.

If you want or need any help with that project Mournblade, I would be willing to assist. I really enjoyed that game...it was a nice upgrade from the old Master of Magic game.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  09:37:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know the first one was Panzer General (a panzer was a WWII German term for a tank, by the way, for those who didn't know). I think there might have been a Star General, but I never actually saw the game, so I don't know if it was the same series.

'Nuff unRealmsian stuff.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  10:27:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Star General was the one. I eventually purchased all of them, but never played Panzer General.

I do have a few planar feats that I have been thinking about posting here but I do not know whether they can relate to FR. They would really only be useful if the planes were used regularly in your home FR campaigns.

What do you all think?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  10:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've no objection, but then I've recently become interested in the Planes. I suppose, in the interests of fairness, you ought to wait until someone else seconds the motion.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  10:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one I just thought of.

Durable

Your character is more likely to gain larger numbers of hit points.

Prerequisite: None.

Benefit: Whenever you roll for your character’s hit points, you may roll an extra time per die and take the better of the two rolls. If it is a tie, you must take that amount.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  13:09:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it. This would be especially good for the Hit Dice poor character classes, like the wizard and sorcerer.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  13:17:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one I have been thinking about for Loremaster's, Wizards, and Bards -

Discover Pattern [General]

Your PC has an understanding that everything in the multiverse has a system - a specific pattern. By understanding groups of small orders, peoples and the like, your PC has learned how to decipher and understand some of the most foreign languages that he may encounter.

Prerequisite: Int 14+, Wis 12+

Benefit: Your PC is granted the spell-like ability to comprehend languages twice per day as a sorcerer of your PC's character level.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  13:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it. Wish I had that in real life. (I'm horrid at languages.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  14:03:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was actually a planar feat created for my Bard PC of my favorite faction, the Fraternity of Order.

I can read, understand and speak both ancient Greek and Latin . In fact I once read an online (Latin) translation of Aristotle's On the Heavens manuscript. That was a very enlightening experience I can tell you.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  14:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::blows raspberry::

Showoff.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  14:09:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually learning both of those languages is much like the feat I just posted. If you recognise the underlying patterns to the language (especially in the case of ancient Greek) learning to read and speak it becomes very easy.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2003 :  02:10:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's been more than a month since anthing was last said here, but I'm back with another feat. However, I've a feeling it might need some more tweaking, so if anyone would like to playtest it for me . . . .

Displaced Spell [Metamagic]

Your character can cause his or her own spells to appear to come from another direction.

Prerequisite: Ability to cast teleport, any other metamagic feat.

Benefit: Your character can cause a spell to originate from a spot other than the square in with he or she is standing, so long as both the origin and the end points are within the maximum distance from the caster’s own square. The origin point must also be within line of sight of the caster; the path of the spell must be visualized (the caster must know where it is going).

This allows the caster to stay hidden, insofar as the path of the spell will not give away his or her position. As well, if the point of origin is out of sight of the target, the DC for a Reflex saving throw is increased by two; Fortitude and Will saves are not effected.

[b]Special:[b] Spells modified by this feat take up a spell slot two levels higher than normal.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2003 :  16:28:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll run it through a game tomorrow night. I intend to run the quick Githyanki Invasion mini-game from Dungeon #100 (with some of my own personal planar modifications of course ).

I'll let you know what I think...

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  12:54:00  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that is an appealing idea from Bookwyrm, make a spell appear from another person. That could have many uses as well, I expect from the description you could frame someone for casting the spell, because anyone present would see the spell shoot from the fake caster.

It will be a great help when you are invisible or in shadows. I'm certainly going to be using that power, keep them coming!

"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2003 :  06:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly the sort of idea I had in mind. Glad to know there are others who think with my kind of deviousness.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2003 :  09:02:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Bookwyrm, I wasn't able to run my usual game last night, what with the whole Mars showing and all. Most of my time last night was spent at the university (with their barely adequate telescope), enjoying the show. It looks like the next few nights will be so occupied as well, but I intend to run the game on Saturday night.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2003 :  13:25:53  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, surely if this Displace Spell power was available to characters, then the good people of the Forgotten Realms would have somehow developed a way to reveal the true caster.

Would this power be affected by True Seeing or Detect Illusion? After all, it still requires the true caster to make some indication to the activation of the power. Perhaps someone could have developed a counter-power such as Reveal Truth? just an idea...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  09:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it was just an idea, Night Elf. I wasn't too sure of the feasibility of it, which was why I was looking for feedback.

As for the sky show . . . *&^%$ Talos! He's decided to move into the area, and so I can't see Mars with all these constant clouds. Wish he'd take his *&^%$ thunderstorms someplace else -- or at least cleared up at night!

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  12:10:39  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Bookwyrm, I didn't mean anything by it, I was merely suggesting a counter-power. My idea came from the Invisibility / Detect Invisibility sort of connection.

I'm sure a lot of players will find your power very useful, but it is nice for DMs to have something to get them back with

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  06:09:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I didn't take any fault with what you said. Far from it.

As for detection, the path of the spell is actually changed, it's not an illusion.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  13:56:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I ran the feat through my Githyanki Invasion mini-game tonight, and it worked very well. In fact it worked in a rather unexpected way given the unique spell-properties of the Astral Plane. In some cases (due to psionic winds), the 'maximum distance' range was effectively doubled allowing for some interesting results.

I am thinking about running it also on the Temporal Prime Plane. Imagine the ability to be able to delay the spell effects when using this feat from afar...

Needless to say, I will be including this feat in my regular listing of feats for PC's to choose from.

Good job Bookwyrm. My players thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  03:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I must say I'm surprised. I had been thinking it was overkill or something.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  07:46:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is really dependent upon where you use the feat. On a regular Material Plane campaign world, I could see this feat as a potential for abuse to the point of unbalancing a game.

But for my campaign, it was mainly used on the Astral Plane, and a few other planar locations. So due to the already difficult nature of combat on the planes anyway, the feat was relatively balanced.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2003 :  14:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get a better edge with your misplaced spell there Bookwyrm, You might want to make sure that you have Still spell and silent spell, and probably have the spell memorised, It might look odd if your mage is flipping through his book, then tossing components here and there and chanting, while the guy your trying to frame is "shooting magic missles at ther person your trying to frame him upon", yet he is just standing there wondering whats going on. I mean, if your a mage no one is going to trust that it wa snot you who was casting the spells when your the one doing all the mojo to cast a spell and the other is not.

Oh and BTW, yes I did like this feat. Think about it, You can basically get a sneak attack spell lol. Oooo the fun.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me

Edited by - Cult_Leader on 09 Sep 2003 14:14:11
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  05:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's something:

Energy Focus[General]

Your character excels at casting spells involving a particular force of magic.

Prerequisites:Ability to cast at least one spell with the acid, cold, electricity, fire or sonic descriptors.

Benefit: 3.0: Choose one energy subtype: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. Add +2 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells with that subtype that you cast.
3.5:Choose one energy subtype: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells with that subtype that you cast.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a different energy subtype.
Energy Substitution:If your campaign uses the Energy Substitution metamagic feat(found in Magic of Faerun & Tome & Blood), this feat replaces the "any other metamagic feat" prerequisite for the feat.
This feat stacks with Spell Focus, Improved Spell Focus, and Epic Spell Focus; it does not stack with Cold Focus.

Edited by - Arivia on 04 Oct 2004 04:23:03
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  06:54:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a particularly useful feat, but doesn't one of the Encyclopedia Arcane tomes cover feats of this type?.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  06:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I simply wouldn't know, not having any of the book/series of books in question.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  07:01:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have to check them over then. I can't exactly remember the specifics, but I am pretty sure that the feat either dealt with the different descriptors of magics, or at least provided some form of defense against them, but it worked a little differently.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  07:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it, but then I like elemental spells. (However, you might want to double-check that listing of the five spell elements . . . .)

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  07:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There, fixed. The time being 2 AM over here doesn't help clarity.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000