Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Say "yes to change!"-- The anti-rant!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  23:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
OK, fair enough.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  00:08:44  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
*waits for the positive stuff*

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  01:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message
quote:
*waits for the positive stuff*

I guess I'll give it a shot.

We have a 100 year span of time in which I can DM or write whatever I wish without worrying about what WotC is going to throw at me. I assume the Spellplague is pretty much it as far as RSE goes for this period of time. I don't expect WotC to flesh out all of the events that occur in this tumultuous period, which gives DM's a lot of flexibility to really be extravagant without breaking canon. If most everyone we know and love is going to be dead at the beginning of the 4E, at least we have the opportunity to write the rest of their lives.

One of the common complaints recently has been that NPC's, primarily novel characters, have been the ones advancing the timeline and dealing with saving the Realms. The years of the spellplague give us a long period in which to let the PC's deal with things.

Anyway, that's one positive I've seen.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  10:48:08  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
That freedom has been there before, you merely had to do your thing. Not a soul forced you to obey the novels etc to the last letter, ever. If you want your PCs to advance the timeline in your Realms, what stopped you? Clinging to stuff that might, at times, be inconsistent? I GMed Star Wars (D6) for about 8 years (on and off) and, yes, the big guns did destroy the Death Star etc., but that didn't stop me from putting the PCs into the spotlight. Sticking to lore and novels as if they were the words from the gods truly limits your style of play... if you don't like a thing... chuck it out the window, otherwise you might as well not bother playing in the Realms and just reading in it, because of the dogmatic view you have concerning lore...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  13:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message
quote:
I just want to hear some other forum browsers positive input regarding FR 4th ed, such as adventure ideas etc.

So one idea I'd been toying with was a multi-generational campaign. Have the PC's establish a kingdom just prior to the Spellplague and then take a long view. The PC's can deal with the initial strife associated with the death of the goddess. Then future generations of characters from the kingdom can adventure/save the day as events warrant. It seems (mind you I said seems, I'm sure other people may have different experiences) that campaigns are often compressed, taking place over relatively short periods of time. This hundred year jump could encourage the DM to expand the scope of a campaign, if not in geographical terms, at least in the temporal.
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  14:30:07  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

quote:
I just want to hear some other forum browsers positive input regarding FR 4th ed, such as adventure ideas etc.

So one idea I'd been toying with was a multi-generational campaign. Have the PC's establish a kingdom just prior to the Spellplague and then take a long view. The PC's can deal with the initial strife associated with the death of the goddess. Then future generations of characters from the kingdom can adventure/save the day as events warrant. It seems (mind you I said seems, I'm sure other people may have different experiences) that campaigns are often compressed, taking place over relatively short periods of time. This hundred year jump could encourage the DM to expand the scope of a campaign, if not in geographical terms, at least in the temporal.

Nice idea
Its true, I've also felt my campaigns become somewhat compressed. With these 100 "content free" (so far) years you could play a campaign beginning with a PC and end up playing with the PC's great great grandson/daughter. Or build a stronghold now, fill it with all sorts of treasures and then wait 100 years for it to become a dungeon. Imagine your paladins newly constructed temple becoming a monster infested death pit after 100 years of chaos. Then you have his surviving bloodline mount a campaign to reclaim their fathers/mothers legacy
Go to Top of Page

Spree Thunderheart
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  18:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Spree Thunderheart's Homepage Send Spree Thunderheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Spree Thunderheart

quote:

quote:
I do find it curious however that some people said that they would be interested in gaming the new FR if it was a new campaign setting. To me, it is a new setting. It just has some familiar elements to Eds FR. If it sounds interesting why not try it out.

I would really only be interested in this new setting if it didn't try to pass itself off as the Realms. At all.

Why?

Because I like a wide variety of settings. For example, I'm interested in many of the 4E "core" ideas. But that doesn't mean I appreciate it when a setting I know and love is totally changed around into something it's not (and you can't argue that the design principles for the Realms haven't changed, either).

By design principals, you mean rules. Nobody’s arguing that point. But if you mean the flavor of the setting, then no I don't think it’s changed. The Realms are still going to be high fantasy, magic is still going to be a big part of the land, gods are still real "bodies" and not just concepts, the Realms still has a vast history, and so on.

Now if Wizards were to make it so magic was hard to come by, AO banned the gods from ever interfering with the land of Faerûn, or have the land of Tymanther replace Unther with no signs that Unther or the Imaskari ever existed. Then I would say that the Realms were not the Realms anymore.

Anyway, back onto the main topic. The positives I see are:

-Advancing the timeline to where the Forgotten Realms are actually Forgotten again. There are new lands to be explored with new stories to be told.

-The Epic NPC’s are gone. Yep, you can throw me into that category of people that thought this was the biggest weakness of the Realms. In my gaming sessions, I would always try to avoid the Sword Coast or the Heartlands because there were so many high level NPC’s there. I never once in my campaigns had any well established NPC make a “cameo” in my games let alone a big roll in them. I like it where it is up to my group to be the hero’s because if they did not do anything, that nobody else would. Now I won’t have to avoid any part of Faerûn.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  19:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Again, I repeat myself...the world is, has been, and will always be what you make of it... if you don't wanna use the big guns, don't use them... it may be a little rude, but the truth is: "If you cannot create adventures without the big characters, and fear that they will steal the PCs' spotlight, you have a very very very narrow imagination..."

Sorry, but there it is... (well, actually, I'm not sorry)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  22:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
By design principals, you mean rules.

Actually no, that's not what I meant at all. Why did you assume I meant rules?

I said design principles--that's something totally different.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Jan 2008 23:27:01
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  22:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Again, I repeat myself...the world is, has been, and will always be what you make of it... if you don't wanna use the big guns, don't use them... it may be a little rude, but the truth is: "If you cannot create adventures without the big characters, and fear that they will steal the PCs' spotlight, you have a very very very narrow imagination..."

Agreed.

One "positive" that I've seen (though again, you could say it doesn't matter unless you feel bound to what's "canon") is that the designers are intending to hold back on RSEs for a while.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  22:53:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Agreed.

One "positive" that I've seen (though again, you could say it doesn't matter unless you feel bound to what's "canon") is that the designers are intending to hold back on RSEs for a while.

They said the same thing about 3E. And how long did that promise last?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Spree Thunderheart
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  22:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Spree Thunderheart's Homepage Send Spree Thunderheart a Private Message
quote:

lol, now I got a good chuckle from that. As far as your first comment about the world being what you make of it and not using the "Big Guns”, that is what I am doing. As far as having a very very very (three very’s, that’s a lot) narrow imagination, how do you consider using my own NPC or NPC that are less known less imaginative then using someone elses characters that have been flushed out over five to twenty novels. Next thing you’re going to tell me is that I have a very very very VERY VERY (that’s even more verys) narrow imagination for never creating my own dark elf character that has rejected his evil race and escaped the underdark and wields two scimitars.

If your going to insult me, insult me on my spelling or grammar, there’s a good run-on-sentence above or I might misspell Molorand. Or maybe insult me on my lack of Realms lore; I might one day say that Cadderly was a Chosen of Mystra. But if you’re going to throw insults, at least have them make sense.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Spree Thunderheart As far as having a very very very (three very’s, that’s a lot) narrow imagination, how do you consider using my own NPC or NPC that are less known less imaginative then using someone elses characters that have been flushed out over five to twenty novels.

I think that's a fine idea. Although, I've also said in the past that it's just as possible for a DM's particular NPC to "steal the spotlight" as it's possible for a well-known official character to do that.

The point being, spotlight-stealing by an NPC is the fault of the DM, not the character.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Agreed.

Well yes, it's possible that they'll start rolling out the RSEs really soon. But going by what they've said on the subject so far, I think I'll consider it a "positive" for the time being.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:51:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed.

Well yes, it's possible that they'll start rolling out the RSEs really soon. But going by what they've said on the subject so far, I think I'll consider it a "positive" for the time being.

Unless profits go up after 4e, if they do the RSE's will come even faster and bigger.....

I can see them justify it now , " if 104 year jump netted 4%, just imagine what 5e will dp wih it's 1261 year jump! Cha Ching!

Or if sales lag....."I told you e idn't go far enough! The fans are waiting for us to finish what we started, now get out there and Shake those Realms!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  00:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm totally aware of the fact that they are utilizing an RSE to get to this point.

Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  05:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message
I'll posit my own RSE for 4th ed - civil war between the Sembian/Anauroch factions of Shade
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  12:26:32  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message
quote:

Sigh...I really despise sounding like a broken record, but the purpose of this thread was to focus on the positive things regarding the new realms. So far only a few have come on and shown their support. Spree, Ozzalum, Hammer of Moradin, thanks for the support and you posted some really nice ideas.
Mace...do you resent the fact that people are excited about the realms. All your posts are in opposition of what this thread is about. I did not come on to your myriad of anti 4th Ed threads and began spouting my views, I simply decided to make my own little corner where the few of us who support the new realms can post our ideas.
I, for one, LIKE sticking to canon. I don't LIKE changing the realms on a whim, I LIKE playing in the gray areas, and contrary to what you might think, I've always enjoyed myself playing this way . Calling us narrow minded just because our play style differs from yours is not very tolerant. If your only intentions are to nay-say our ideas and play styles then please refrain from posting in this thread...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  17:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
You forgot me, I DID post something positive about the 4E Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  17:39:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
To be honest, you may want to begin a new thread with a less provoking title, and begin with a new first post that does not call names or otherwise cause people who are upset by the changes feel attacked. There will probably still be one or two people who will post negative responses, but that is life. I would name it something like "Positive views of the 4e Realms" and then start by listing some of the things that you see as positive for the 4e Realms, and why. Anyway you look at it, people are going to disagree with you, and sometimes you just have to ignore them.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  17:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I agree. And remember, it's not like everyone who will look at this thread has seen it already. A newcomer might read your first post, for the first time, and you have angry people all over again.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  18:00:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

To be honest, you may want to begin a new thread with a less provoking title, and begin with a new first post that does not call names or otherwise cause people who are upset by the changes feel attacked. There will probably still be one or two people who will post negative responses, but that is life. I would name it something like "Positive views of the 4e Realms" and then start by listing some of the things that you see as positive for the 4e Realms, and why. Anyway you look at it, people are going to disagree with you, and sometimes you just have to ignore them.

Indeed. The title, in particular, implies that the anti-Sellplague crowd is against any change. That's not true. Many of us not only see a need for change, we like many of the things that have changed over the years. It's just that the Sellplague is too much change for a lot of people.

Go to Top of Page

Spree Thunderheart
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  18:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Spree Thunderheart's Homepage Send Spree Thunderheart a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Spree Thunderheart As far as having a very very very (three very’s, that’s a lot) narrow imagination, how do you consider using my own NPC or NPC that are less known less imaginative then using someone elses characters that have been flushed out over five to twenty novels.

I think that's a fine idea. Although, I've also said in the past that it's just as possible for a DM's particular NPC to "steal the spotlight" as it's possible for a well-known official character to do that.

The point being, spotlight-stealing by an NPC is the fault of the DM, not the character.

I agree, that’s why I don't have any high epic level NPC's (or DMPC's for that matter) or any of the Realms epic level Chosen in my campaigns.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  18:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message
quote:
Indeed. The title, in particular, implies that the anti-Sellplague crowd is against any change. That's not true. Many of us not only see a need for change, we like many of the things that have changed over the years. It's just that the Sellplague is too much change for a lot of people.

Well, there you go TwigB. If you start a new thread maybe we can put all this behind us. It is the nature of this medium that your initial offense is remembered but your apology is easily missed/forgotten.
Go to Top of Page

Spree Thunderheart
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  18:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Spree Thunderheart's Homepage Send Spree Thunderheart a Private Message
quote:

quote:

No offense, but I do think it is really ironic that you all are up in arms about the words "hater" and "change" when this active pole has both (well it has the word hate, not hater) in option 1 and it’s winning with 46% of the vote.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10067

Maybe someone should tell HawkinstheDM to rephrase his poll also.
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  20:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message
I am looking forward to 4e, as the changes they've mentioned with regards to gods just being high level monsters means that it will be much easier to form a raiding guild and kill some gods for fame, glory, and loot. With the web-based gaming table this is made even easier.

So, any suggestions on the dkp system? Traditional kill value open-ended systems, zero-sum systems, loot council, or others?

Seriously though, I can see some of their thinking here that things like this might appeal to some of the MMO crowd and hopefully provide new people to play the game. I'm very doubtful as to how effective it will be, but that remains to be seen.

Edited by - Caedwyr on 22 Jan 2008 20:42:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  21:08:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

No offense, but I do think it is really ironic that you all are up in arms about the words "hater" and "change" when this active pole has both (well it has the word hate, not hater) in option 1 and it’s winning with 46% of the vote.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10067

Maybe someone should tell HawkinstheDM to rephrase his poll also.

No one is up in arms over the word "change" -- we're simply saying it could be better utilized. And "hater" is a label. A person saying they hate something is considerably more acceptable than another person labeling them a hater. On the poll you link to, a very strong dislike of the specific named changes is a viable response -- so I see no need for it to be reworded.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  21:22:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
to claim people here are up in arms over the use of the words "change and hater" is a blatant Mis-characterization of a valid arguement. It is the same type of tactic as labeling people thru name calling. It is a feeble attempt by a angry people to discredit people in order to invalidate their opinion. It is a tactic of oppression as old as any and is used to crush civil discourse.

As someone who comes from a long lineage of freedom fighters(the house I grew up in was a stop on the Underground Railroad during the US Civil War, my family risked all to end the minimalising and labeling of people) against oppresion of all types I am tiring of This Name Calling Tactic.

It needs to stop. It does not belong here in these halls of knowledge of all.

I would love to see this thread fall by the wayside, and it bad feel with it!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  21:34:07  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message
I agree with The Red Walker. This threads purpose got waylaid. It's going downhill, I apologize. Lets reboot this idea and start fresh in his new thread
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10558
Go to Top of Page

Spree Thunderheart
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  21:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Spree Thunderheart's Homepage Send Spree Thunderheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

to claim people here are up in arms over the use of the words "change and hater" is a blatant Mis-characterization of a valid arguement. It is the same type of tactic as labeling people thru name calling. It is a feeble attempt by a angry people to discredit people in order to invalidate their opinion. It is a tactic of oppression as old as any and is used to crush civil discourse.

As someone who comes from a long lineage of freedom fighters(the house I grew up in was a stop on the Underground Railroad during the US Civil War, my family risked all to end the minimalising and labeling of people) against oppresion of all types I am tiring of This Name Calling Tactic.

It needs to stop. It does not belong here in these halls of knowledge of all.

I would love to see this thread fall by the wayside, and it bad feel with it!

Where were you when Mace said I had a "very very very narrow imagination"?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000