Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  20:31:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring the words of Ed in response to Zandilar's recent question: "I also have another question for Ed, may as well make use of this post to ask it... If a human suddenly knew how to take dragon shape (like from learning a Polymorph-like spell, or becoming a weredragon, or being granted the power by a deity), where in Cormyr would be safe for them to practice flying without drawing too much undue attention to themselves? (Especially if it happens to be a Good aligned human who was only able to take the form of a Chromatic dragon (a blue, for example).)"
Ed replies:

Heh. Flying low in all cases, and away from known guardposts, your safest places are (in descending order): the West Reach (over the mountains), the Stonelands, above the Hullack Forest, and (least of all) above the King's Forest.
Good luck. :} Look forward to hearing what happens. Fly low and during fog, storms, or darkness, for best results.

So saith Ed. I want to hear what happens, too!
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Oct 2008 20:39:16
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  20:48:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Might I suggest you paint "I'm a GOOD guy, I swear!!!" on your underbelly as well?

A good character that can only take the form of a Chromatic Dragon - your DM is evil - also looking forward to hearing what happens.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  00:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

My DM claims he's not evil, but he has a habit of giving characters new shapes and making them the playthings of the gods.

In fact, she nearly met her doom when she went into the palace for the first time after gaining dragon form (she's a noble (newly minted, due to previous actions on behalf of the Crown)) to attend court, and obviously set off the wards! It was only the fact that she had won the Steel Regent's friendship that prevented the War Wizards from blasting her into very little pieces. (At that point, she hadn't quite won Caladnei's trust because some of the previous actions she had taken were rather dubious in nature (consorting with demons and the like), even if they were done for the good of the country.)

Thus far, though, the only time she's actually assumed dragon form was when she had to defend herself in the streets of Dis (long story how she got there!)... But she's getting restless to actually try out her wings. I will let you (all) know how it goes when she does... Right now she's trying to work out who is behind the spreading rumor that one of the nobles of Cormyr is really a Blue Dragon, and will probably shortly have to deal with a Malarite werewolf she confused when they last encountered each other.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 26 Oct 2008 00:08:14
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  01:50:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Zandilar, Ed says that in light of this new information, his reply to you changes a bit:

Heya! The reason I ranked places as I did was to escape attention, but if your character is already being watched by War Wizards (magical farscrying), the Stonelands is almost her only option that won't immediately confirm that she's the dragon. They'll be plenty suspicious if they watch her travel to the Stonelands and then a dragon appears over it, yes, but if she's careful (open travel to Arabel, depart Arabel in a closed coach or wagon, depart a night encampment into the forest on the north side of the road, then work her way "in cover" up into the Stonelands) they won't be able to be sure, unless they've managed to plant a spell focus gem or metal item on her body, to "aim" their scrying at.
She will have to face all the monster, brigand, and Zhent dangers of the Stonelands, of course . . .

So saith Ed. Whom I suspect is a tad more merciful than many a DM . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  05:26:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Just take the long way around through Tilver's Gap - if you try to fly over the Stormhorns there are quite a few flying monsters (including Perytons, Griffons, and other dragons) living there, not to mention a few clans of Cloud and Storm Giants.

There's a VERY good reason the Halruaans never bothered to build a large-scale skyship conveyance operation in the Realms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  10:53:52  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Hi Ed. I have a question about fiends. We've read many examples of celestials falling and becoming fiends (most recently in the Last Mythal trilogy with the Branded King), but I was wondering if there are any examples of fiends "ascending" and becoming celestials, or at least not so evil any more.

I've been having fun inventing stories about a Balor who became a paladin of Torm. That's why I'm asking this.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  18:27:00  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
im not THO, but on the wtoc site at one time there was a write up for a succubus paladin.

and then there is the one is the gossamyr plan and those in its series.

dunno if she counts though as i dont have any clue on her alignment

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2008 :  20:06:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

im not THO, but on the wtoc site at one time there was a write up for a succubus paladin.

and then there is the one is the gossamyr plan and those in its series.

dunno if she counts though as i dont have any clue on her alignment

You are speaking of Eludecia, though WotC did have her lawful good they offered also her as a fallen Paldain suduced by evil.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 26 Oct 2008 20:08:16
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  06:47:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Markustay, Besilmer is described at length in Dwarves Deep, pages 53f. It was located in the "Sword Coast North:"

Sorry - I meant to thank you sooner for your response. Now that you've pointed out Dwarves Deep, I do recall reading about it quite some time ago (when that product came out).

I don't know why Dwarves even bother to build Kingdoms - they're always Falling.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  11:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Vendui Hooded One!

Over on the WizBoards a question arose that could not yet be answered - for lack of official lore (known by the participants). It is a question which will, I would assume, be of highest interest to Elminster as well. For we were actually asking what the "language of Magic" is. The language the spells are intoned with, the language used on scrolls by all mages and priests about. I was, for all my days as a 'gamer' of the opinion that the language used for the above was indeed Draconic, albeit a technical version* of it. We could - up until now - not find a relevant source for this topic, be it core rules or FR rules.
I do know from the older books that e.g. drow priestesses sometimes use High Drow (of the old days) to speak amongst one another without wizards et al able to eavesdrop and hence also assumed that some of their more valuable scrolls might be "written" in that tongue" too, while dwarves may use certain runes as well. Maybe the archwizard can shed some light on this, if he has not already done so?!

Aluve, Zanan!

*Much like Latin used in medicine, i.e. not enabling the magic-user to actually speak Draconic, or Latin, for that matter.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 27 Oct 2008 11:21:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  18:05:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed was offline for the better part of a day (an electrical storm fried an aging iMac power supply, and he was too busy with other things to swap the hard drive out into ANOTHER aging iMac, so as to get all his Net ISP settings back), but he's surfaced now, just in time to answer Zanan's query:

Spells are written in an everchanging "pidgin" language derived from Auld Wyrm/Auld Wyrmish (sometimes called "Auld High Wyrmish" or "Old Draconic"), words augmented by runes/sigils that carry their own magical charges AND have a meaning in an incantation, akin to modern real-world picto-symbols for access, washrooms, this or that banned, et al (though they usually mean something like "that phrase [of the incantation, just spoken] is validated and empowered thus" or "empowered and comined with [the next phrase of the incantation") which is why "read magic" was a different spell than "comprehend languages."
An incantation is "read" by enunciating the words of the incantation, and visualizing (or touching) each rune/sigil AS the name of the rune/sigil is uttered, as they occur in the written spell (which releases their "trigger" magic to affect ("steer and shape") the building power of the natural forces of the world that is being raised and combined by the incantation into an eventual effect.
The language of the incantation (not counting these rune/sigil names) consists of verbs and articles mainly of elder draconic origin, plus a vocabulary of nouns (and a few verbs and articles) added by many workers-in-magic down the years. Some of these added words are elvish, some are human, and a very few (gems, mainly) are dwarven or from the gnome tongue. This language, like all languages, changes over time, as many new words are added, a few are forgotten, and a few fall out of favour. Many of the newer words are "nonsense" words coined by individual human mages, that get taken up and used by others; if someone used to wielding the Art ("arcane magic spellcaster") reads a spell scroll or written spell without actually casting it, the meanings of the words are conveyed faintly to them, unfolding in their brains (which is how someone can trigger not just explosive runes, but a harmful or beneficial glyph).
The point is that the spell CRAFTER (not caster, if they are different beings) must know/feel/be able to visualize what each word represents, be it a thing, a force, a transformation, or a desired result (for instance, the incantation phrase "aumma drood hethtarl [barrander] khehk'tal" literally means: ruby (the gem), melt it, to produce only a red vapor and heat, [name of rune, that means: applying the flesh-affecting ability this derived chemical possesses, to all of the energies of the building spell], unchanged in effects). So it's quite possible for a drow caster to use drow words in an incantation, or a dwarf to replace some words with dwarven runes (different from the "power runes"/sigils of the spell), or any spellcaster to use a family or personal nonsense word that THEY know the meaning of, when writing down spells.
So the answer is: there's no one "language of magic," but there's a jargon for incanting that's perhaps 40 percent nonsense words ("nonsense" to non-workers-in-magic, as in: invented, not part of any merely spoken language), 30 percent human, 12 percent elder draconic, 8 percent elven (various dialects, usually old word forms), and 10 percent drawn from all other tongues.
A speaker of any of these tongues who does not have the gift of handling the Art could "sort of" understand "their" words in an incantation, but only partially (for instance, an old drow word for "violent fall" of a stalactite [the equivalent of "crash down on whatever's below"] might be used in an incantation to mean "dash down" [that is, I want this my spell to violently and damagingly smash something down on what's below]; the meaning is similar but not identical, and could be misunderstood out of context).
In the "good old days," game designers actually sat down (often over drinks), and discussed all of this, so we'd be on the same page when writing, even though the early publishing codes prevented anything really specific being printed about "casting spells/working witchcraft." This has ALWAYS been "how it's worked in the Realms," with Ruathlek being an illusionist's "code" version of wizards' magical lingo, and I got TSR staff designers to agree to this back in 1986, but . . . personnel change, companies change, agreements get forgotten and new people never even know they exist, and so on . . .
Work for you? Post right back if you have more questions, and I'll be happy to talk this through.

So saith Ed. Who DOES think about all of this stuff, folks. Truly.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  20:19:33  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Spells are written in an everchanging "pidgin" language derived from Auld Wyrm/Auld Wyrmish (sometimes called "Auld High Wyrmish" or "Old Draconic"), words augmented by runes/sigils that carry their own magical charges AND have a meaning in an incantation, akin to modern real-world picto-symbols for access, washrooms, this or that banned, et al (though they usually mean something like "that phrase [of the incantation, just spoken] is validated and empowered thus" or "empowered and comined with [the next phrase of the incantation") which is why "read magic" was a different spell than "comprehend languages."

Would this Old Draconic happen to be the same language as Aragrakh, Old High Wyrm?

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  20:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

So that we are all on the same page ... er ... leaf, would Ed please describe for us the language of the Nether Scrolls, which Serpent Kingdoms informs us were written by the Sarrukh, and which PCs may find by playing through the 2007 Anauroch adventure?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  20:45:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met!

So that we are all on the same page ... er ... leaf, would Ed please describe for us the language of the Nether Scrolls, which Serpent Kingdoms informs us were written by the Sarrukh, and which PCs may find by playing through the 2007 Anauroch adventure?

'Find' is such a loosely described term in Anauroch.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  21:23:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
..And I find myself with more questions, so soon after my last batch! Hopefully, at least one of these will be quick, and/or the lovely Lady Hooded One can field it herself.

Today, I was sitting my car, waiting for my wife to come out of the store with cat food. I was flipping thru Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, a copy of which is in my car for exactly those contingencies (plus, I had multiple copies from trying to get one that wasn't in sad shape). Two things I read jumped out at me...

On page 108, in the entry for the Bowels of the Earth tavern, is this line:
quote:
The windows are covered with stout wooden shutters, barred from within, because they long ago lost all their glass and screens.

I know glass has been discussed before, but screen? How widespread is the use of screen in the windows of the Realms? How much does it cost? Where is it made, and from what materials?

The other question -- hopefully a much easier one! -- is about the Crawling Spider. It says on page 21 that the waitresses "wear black bodysuits and masks to make them look like drow." In Elfsong, Elaine adds on page 218 that they wear wigs, and that the masks have pointed ears. Elaith recognizes the "tiny red mouth" of one particular waitress on page 219.

But one detail that isn't given is how much the masks cover (conversely, the masks worn by the ladies of the Moonstone Mask in Neverwinter are explicitly described as half-masks). The illustration on page 22 of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep shows a half-mask, but nowhere in the description of the Crawling Spider is that confirmed or refuted. So, are they half-masks, full masks, domino masks, what?

And have you any adventures in the place to share, my Lady?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  21:27:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. This latest, from the e-pen of Ed:

"Old Draconic" is the purely written form of Aragrakh, Old High Wyrm (a.k.a. Auld Wyrmish, and several other close-variant names), which is a language of words, fricatives, and gestures.
The Nether Scrolls were written in the simplified trading-tongue of the Sarrukh, which contains a smattering of what became Common, and quite a bit of written dragon speech (that same Old Draconic). Which means to a human of "now" [either 1300s or 1400s DR] in the Realms, the Scrolls will SEEM like gibberish, but be perfectly readable (e.g. if English is your mother tongue, the following string of words will be meaningless to you, but you'll be able to read them aloud with no problems: "lat maraga torl looba doo"). However, AS a Common Tongue speaker of the 'modern' Realms reads the Nether Scrolls aloud, enunciating each of those gibberish words imparts mental pictures and little factoids of knowledge in the reader's mind (NOT also in a listener's mind, if the reading is aloud), so the Nether Scrolls impart meaning (or, in certain cases, overwhelm minds and cause insanity, so let thy PCs be warned :} ).

So saith Ed, creator of the Realms and Master of its Linguistics.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  21:32:52  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Coolio, thank you.

If Aragrakh used that as the written form, then does it stand to reason that there were other languages that used the same written alphabet, in much the same way that many modern languages in Faerun use the Draconic alphabet?

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  22:14:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Whew! Lightning-fast responses from Ed! Here's the latest:

Yes, it's probable that other races/cultures of the time (some of the giant races, or the titans, for instance) would also have used the then-current written form of the dragon tongue (it's changed over time, since, hence the use of "Old/Auld" and "High" in the names sages of "today" give it). Note that the tongue generally translated fricatives into punctuation, and gestures into adverbs, in attempts to preserve their meanings.

Wooly, the masks worn are full masks; half-masks are worn OVER these masks for some costumes, to create an effect (usually alluring [the same way modern real-world folk might hint at a "French Maid look" or "a pirate with eyepatch"], but sometimes just "matching color trim" for the upper part of the body or even to suggest another race).

Also: screens are rarely found in the Realms, are fiddly and therefore expensive in some markets, but aren't expensive everywhere. What you must dash from your mind is any impression of fine mesh. "Screens" for windows in the Realms consist of wooden frame (like a picture frame) after wooden frame, stacked up together and fastened together, each holding a large, crude latticework of wires. These wires are woven (like an older badminton racket) through each other, not welded together at their crossing-points), and are set into the frames (stretched around tiny "iron thorn" nails, actually) at odd angles, so one frame will be horizontal/vertical, the next diagonal, and the rest at various "slant" angles. Fastened together, they make up a fairly fine grid that prevents the passage of birds, mice, snakes, rats, and large flying insects, but not worms, grubs, small insects, creeping bugs, and the like. So they can be used to "let air in," but not to sieve flour.
This makes window screens thick and heavy casements (often held up with props to the ground or diagonal to "stops" on the wall if on upper storeys), not thin, light coverings.

So saith Ed, loremaster of the Realms. He adds that the later Volo's books were edited by divers hands, and he never saw galleys or bluelines between rought draft turnover and publication, so the details of how some lore was expressed is less than ideal in some cases.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  23:05:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Thanks for the very prompt responses!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  11:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
I'd like to echo Wooly. Thanks a lot for the quick reply/-ies!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  20:51:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

As usual, an answer generates another question (or three): what sort of windows and window treatments would exist in the guest rooms and common rooms of inns and taverns in various parts of Toril? (The PCs in my campaign are presently in a slightly above-average inn in Mulsantir, Rashemen.) Would a horn or glass-paned window in an inn's guest room actually open, and if so, would it open up and down or have two halves which swing apart in the middle? How large would the window(s) be in the typical inn guest rooms of various qualities of inns? I'm less concerned about big, rich cities than in the sorts of semi-rural places or small towns where PCs actually travel while adventuring -- perhaps too influenced by Hollywood Westerns, in most of the games I have played the assumption has usually been that the windows were glass, could be opened to allow for escapes (or for the entry of thieves and assassins and vampires), et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, bu what's the straight dope?

Regards,
Jamallo Kreen, Friend of Religion, who has always thought that the Defenestration of Prague was a rather drastic surgical technique from Bohemia

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 28 Oct 2008 21:01:29
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  13:51:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone. I bring Ed's reply to Jamllo Kreen's question, just above:

Well, inns vary widely, but if one wanted to derive a "usual," in any inn north of Turmish, from Rashemen west to the Sword Coast, a typical upper-floor guestroom window would be as follows:
Large square or rectangular hole in wall (yes, large enough to clamber through. Said hole has two VERY stouts sets of wooden shutters, without (intentional) gaps or chinks and made to withstand howling blizzard winds. One set is on the outside, is kept closed all winter, and is often "fastened open" (stout hook and eye catches) the rest of the year.
The second set of shutters is on the inside wall, and can sometimes be barred shut. These, too, are usually fastened open most of the time. During intense cold or wet, they are sometimes covered with an old woolen blanket before being shut, to try to keep the room warm.
In between these shutters is the window-frame and window. Which is usually divided into two sub-windows: a narrow horizontal or vertical wooden grille assembly (like a real-world "jalousie") of linked "plates" or "fins" or "paddles," all hinged at their bases and connected across their leading edges with a single rod or bar, so that hand-moving this bar can simultaneously flip them all open, closed, or at some angle between. These assemblies are seldom wider than a foot.
The rest of the window is the "see out of it" panel, which is rarely, save in the most expensive inns, a single pane of glass or mica (mica of course lets light in and out, but is lousy for trying to see through). Instead, it usually consists of a "diamond" lattice of frames with glass in them (because, with heavy puttying, this shape [known from our real-world "Tudor" buildings, for example] permits small and badly-finished pieces of glass to serve in a window, has good supportive bonding edges, and glass can easily be molded, when made, into more or less diamond-shaped, small panes). Replacement (or covering over) in case of breakage is much easier than with a larger pane, too.
Most such panels are fixed, but some are hinged and can be thrust or, yes, cranked open to allow bodies, contraband, bird-nest-attacking poles, and the like through.
So there you are. The typical inn window.

So saith Ed. Who must dream in Technicolor.R
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  14:53:12  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Wow, Ed must be on one of his slow work days (two dozen simultaneous projects instead of three.)
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  17:08:07  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I wonder if Ed could please tell us what are the names of some of the features, towns and cities of Laerkrond?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  18:10:56  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
THO, you mentioned recent computer troubles for Ed. I'm sure he has to use computers to write novels and game lore, these days, but does he use computers in any way in PLAYING in his/your shared Realms campaign? I'm thinking not, but I'm curious . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  18:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Is a new orc horde likely in the post-Spellplague Realms? Or did all of the events of that major change also affect the cycle that caused horde after horde to arise?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  18:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I recall Ed mentioning his "Ghost Pipes" spell being used for musical training/practise/scales, somewhere and somewhen. Are other magical means used to "store" tunes for teaching purposes?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  18:42:33  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed how did you play teleportations gone bad, did you actually have teleporters arrive within objects, what happened to them, how are they freed and how did you adjudicate it mechanics-wise to players who were victims or viewing such a thing?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  19:08:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

A little bird (no, not Ed; he's anything but "little;" this particular bird is American, and dwells very near a seacoast) has told me there will soon be a major announcement regarding the Realms. Scribes, keep eyes peeled . . .
love to all,
THO

So, has the announcement been made? I haven't seen anything on the Wizards site that would constitute being major.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  19:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
My Lord Ed of the Greenwood, I have some questions about the Malaugrym.

They have been described many times as "perfect shapechangers" but are they 'perfect' enough to reproduce with other races that they shapechange into? In modern scientific parlance do they become the creature down to the DNA, do sexual organs and such function as the assumed form's would? Can a Malaugrym in the form of an elven male mate with an elven female? What would the offspring of such a union be? Would the offspring be elven? Malaugrym? Something else? If the Malaugrym were once human, can they mate with humans if not with elves (or other races)?

I think that's actually one question asked lots of different ways, but I'd be very interested in your answer(s)!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000