Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  20:13:35  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
Thanks for forwarding, THO!

If it helps to speed up the answers: I absolutely don't need any 4e-things. Our campaigns use rules from 2e plus a wagonload of houserules and imporvisations. For us, rules are only support and framework. Neither the players nor I are much interested in number-cracking; story, mood and roleplay are way more important.

Since the campaign plays in 1371 DR (before even the 3e times), I have as well no need for the newer (3e) and newest (4e) Realms. I don't even need any "official" answeres from Ed - it would be enough to get his reasonings and musings. :) And for the sake of the questions, let's just assume what I wrote about aboleth under 1)...

Edited by - tauster on 08 Jan 2008 20:20:46
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  22:22:17  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

, but we'll see what comes back from Winterkeep . . .
love,
THO

So he has moved to the Hordelands then

I don't suppose you have any more info about Winterkeep do you Good Lady? Its one of those mysterious places 'just off the map' that act as a lure for us adventuring types

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  02:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers
So he has moved to the Hordelands then

I don't suppose you have any more info about Winterkeep do you Good Lady? Its one of those mysterious places 'just off the map' that act as a lure for us adventuring types

Cheers

Damian

Seconded, mi'lady. I'm always looking for more tasty Raumathari lore.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  17:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message
Dear Ed,

I have had a curious twitch in my brain. I have a question, and I've thought about it from several angles, and I can't seem to shake it.

So, here it is:

"Is Old Snarl Elminster or some other great wizard?"

I've attacked this question from several angles, trying the same methods I might use to answer "where does Clark go when Superman appears?" This might sound like a bit of an oversimplification, but that's the biggest part of it. While I recognize that Elminster is (formerly) the Sage of Shadowdale, he seems to be the only human who knows anything of truth about Klauth, with most of the lore about the dragon penned by his hand. To the best of my knowledge they've never fought, never been in the same place (at least by witness account), and never been friends (who can be a friend to a bugger-mad old red dragon?). Mind you, I'm not as up on my readings as I should be, but still.

Further, I have reason to believe that Klauth isn't a dragon because of some of the strange behaviors he has exhibited. For example, rescuing the wounded Elven girl and taking her to Evereska. Dropping in to slay an orc horde in the stirring. Random acts of kindness to people who normally hate dragons. Etc. Etc.

My thoughts are that it would make sense if Elminster were Klauth, because it's a form that would give him an ethical/moral carte blanche. If Elminster knows that someone needs to be taken out, or something needs to happen, that he can't do himself because of his notoriety and the ramifications it might bring to the faith of Mystra or his own reputation, then the disguise of a snarly old red dragon mad with power would make perfect sense. Further, nigh-immortal wizards like Khelben and Elminster are known to have created several false identities throughout the years to accomplish deeds, and to create false histories and lies about the nature of certain truths. In fact, this is the focus of the book 'Blackstaff'.

It would make sense that Elminster would create a spell that only one dragon in existence has access to, and only one would be mad enough to use, to explain his incredible size, longevity, and power. One could argue that it's a convenient explanation for the fact that Elminster is nigh-immortal, and he would have to pass on that same to his draconic form.

Well, it's a long-shot, but this is my question. If anything an answer might get rid of the twitch.

Thanks for the time.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  17:46:15  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stonwulfe

I have had a curious twitch in my brain. I have a question, and I've thought about it from several angles, and I can't seem to shake it.
So, here it is:
"Is Old Snarl Elminster or some other great wizard?"

What an excellent question! When the Wyrms of the North articles first came out, I did wonder if one or more of the dragons might be 'dead' Chosen or ex-Magisters, given new life at the behest of Azuth or Mystra.

I like your reasoning, very sound and creative, but not quite something that El would do i think, he seems to do what he wants and I am not sure he woud use Klauth as a front?? (it soesn't seem to fit his style pehaps?). However, am I just wondering why Khelben has just popped into my head.......

Maybe its one of the Talonmists, they dabbled in Dragon Magics and chased El around the High Moor in Dragonshape IIRC.

Thanks Craig this has got my creative DM mind working overtime!

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 09 Jan 2008 17:50:47
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  06:12:53  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Great question Craig! it would be cool if it would be the case. Maybe it's a faulty, more Chaotic-Neutral-than-Good CLONE of Elminster with some kind of permanent polymorph!!!
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  18:43:26  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
Hey THO! Hope you had a great New Year's celebration!

And my first question for 2008 is for you and your fellow Knights. I'm (re)starting my campaign using 2nd edition rules (after a TPK and my burning out with 3.X rules and the 4th edition debacle). I've been looking over the stats for beholders and their eye rays (kill, fry, disintegrate ) and I'm wondering just how in the Nine Hells did the Knights manage to whack as many beholders as they did!

Did Ed modify his beholder's eye rays to make them less deadly, or did the Knights have some special tactics or magic going for them? I'm asking because I want to have some answers when my PCs decide to ask sages and other experts in my campaign for any advice before they go up against my eye tyrants. Thanks for any help!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  19:16:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, thom! A proper answer will have to wait for Ed, of course, but the quick one is: Ed has always used a wide variety of variant beholders in the Realms, many of which have made it into the official rules over the years, and yes, we faced a LOT of eye tyrants (particularly lesser controlled beholderkin and various forms of guardian undead beholders) that were missing some of the more formidable eyes or had different eyestalk powers. We even had a tiny "floating eyeball" beholder pet for a time, and were served plates of stewed miniature beholders at a particular club in Calimport. Not to mention the stripper whose three naughtiest bared features were covered by attached miniature beholders who had quite formidable eye-powers indeed, and enabled her to be quite safe and unmolested no matter where she was performing . . .
Ah, the tales I could tell . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  13:57:18  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
I have just finidhed reading Crown of fire!And I ahve to say: Wonderful! Magnificent! All this detail, the thought that seems to be put into every word to make every character andevery place come to life! I am truely impressed! And all the little tidbits of lore esp. about Cormyr.

And when reading about Myrintara I had to think about you THO. Any chance Ed did the same when creating that pleasure-queen?

Please pass on my thanks to Ed for a truely remarkable read.

I do have a question, however, regarding the entrance to the Hidden House: Is Shandril already in the Hidden House after Tesseril shoves her through the portal? Or does she reach the House after passing through the many rooms? Thanks in advance.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 Jan 2008 19:20:24
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  15:03:14  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
Thanks milady! That's basically what I needed to know. But yes, please add to my question for Ed: could he list some of the alternate powers he substituted for his beholders' eye rays?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  14:33:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all! I bring a brief message from Ed:

Damian and Craig, you're GOOD. Here's the truth: Elminster is not Klauth. Klauth is . . . Klauth. A nasty and very cunning red dragon of much age and experience.
Who is starting to sleep for longer and longer periods. Whenever he does, it alerts a certain person that Klauth is dreaming again. Said person then casts a subtle spell to keep Klauth "deeper asleep" for a time, and then impersonates him. Taking dragon shape and doing things that some might term "having fun," others call "righting some wrongs," and still others would call "irresponsible meddling."
Said person is indeed a Talonmist.
Daerendar Talonmist, to be precise ("Daern" in daily parlance). Who spends most of the rest of his time in seclusion, devising new spells and tinkering with old ones. His specialties are draconic magic and "trigger magic items from afar" spells.
Until, of course, the Spellplague hits...

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work "putting the icing on the cake" of Realmslore you may all be VERY interested in, even if you don't adopt the "new" Realms (geographically, Ed tells me, this will be relatively easy to do). Hmmm . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  16:14:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
O Lovely Lady Hooded One, does the infliction of the 4E Realms upon us mean that the Border Kingdoms will once more fall back into the background?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  16:48:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
As it happens, Wooly dearest, I asked Ed about that very thing, and he told me:
For the short term, yes (as in, until he gets some of the big - - and late - - projects done). For the longer term, he very much wants to finish covering the BKs (pre-timeshift), somehow and somewhere (perhaps an all-in-one download on the Wizards site). There will be coverage of that same geographical area in future Realms publications, he assures me, if current plans come to fruition.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  18:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message
quote:
Daerendar Talonmist, to be precise ("Daern" in daily parlance). Who spends most of the rest of his time in seclusion, devising new spells and tinkering with old ones. His specialties are draconic magic and "trigger magic items from afar" spells.

THO & Ed,

Would this be the same Talonmist wizard who has captured Archveult, pupil of the Seven, and is making him power magic items and automota from afar?

I never did really believe that a Cormanthyrian archmage could be lulled into complacency in a realm such as Calimshan. Hell, in Calimport the first thing I'd be worried about as a mage is making sure that my spellbook, coinpurse, and any items of value be tucked safely away in an extradimensional space. The pickpockets in that city I'm sure make those of Waterdeep look amateur.

However, in travels of the frozen North, far removed from the congestion of humanity, it would be easy to forget one's defences momentarily and fall prey to a dragon or a cunning wizard.

Craig

Edited by - Stonwulfe on 12 Jan 2008 18:19:50
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  19:20:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I have read often about magic items that whisk away, enspelled, cursed and do all other types of dastardly things to those who touch or try to use them, my question is what precautions do mage schools and temples have in place ( wards, contingencies, supression magics) to protect themselves when someone brings them an item to be identified and surely they must charge more than 100-200gp for the risk they take in doing so. When my game with current players began a year ago they were used to just bringing an item to someone and saying "I want to know what this is, I'll be back in about two hours to pick it up." Since then they've grown used to the response of, "It must first check it for harmful or spying magics before I perform that spell." I as DM however have been wondering just exactly what how this is approached by mages and clerics and organizations as opposed to an individual (reclusive mage, or retired caster turned shopowner).

Thanks in advance as always.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  23:34:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work "putting the icing on the cake" of Realmslore you may all be VERY interested in, even if you don't adopt the "new" Realms (geographically, Ed tells me, this will be relatively easy to do). Hmmm . . .

So we can use that lore without using the "new" Realms?

Hip hip, HOORAY! That is great news, thank you!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  01:21:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

For the short term, yes (as in, until he gets some of the big - - and late - - projects done). For the longer term, he very much wants to finish covering the BKs (pre-timeshift), somehow and somewhere (perhaps an all-in-one download on the Wizards site). There will be coverage of that same geographical area in future Realms publications, he assures me, if current plans come to fruition.
love,
THO
Well, that's understandable, I suppose. While it disappoints me to hear that the Border Kingdoms won't be receiving further attention anytime soon, I'm glad to see Ed's love for the region certainly hasn't diminished in the slightest. I can't wait to see what is coming for my favorite part of the Realms!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  03:16:53  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Oh Lady... how you tease me! might I suggest Ed gets paid for this at least, perhaps having this all-in-one download as a long Dragon article? it seems they put all the new Realmslore under "Dragon --> Features" these days (yes, I'm starting to figure out their new website... slooooowly...)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  03:25:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
PDK, Ed has of course no say at all in where and how website Realmslore will appear, but he told me he expects it to be a freebie for gamers, being as the series started that way.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, Ed says yes, it should be readily usable in the old Realms if you ignore references here and there and "devise your own trade arrangements."

Stonwulfe, Ed says this is a different Talonmist. Same family, of course, but different (and far more aggressive) guy. Daern likes to "hide inside" Klauth for all his lashing out and daring stuff, and be the stay-at-home scholar in his family's eyes, as well as everyone else's.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  22:08:33  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message
Hi all. I have searched through the various official supplements I have and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping you all can help me.

My PCs are being honored at an awards ceremony in the High Palace of Silverymoon. Most of them have really gotten into what they plan to wear to the ceremony, detailing their outfits and which tailor of Silverymoon is fashioning their new clothes.

One of my female characters would like to wear the official flower of Silverymoon in her hair. Does anyone know what this is? If there isn't one, what would be a good choice considering how far north Silverymoon is? Thanks in advance for any help.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  22:56:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, Ed says yes, it should be readily usable in the old Realms if you ignore references here and there and "devise your own trade arrangements."

That's such a relief to me. Once again, thank you.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  23:05:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. coastiemike, I sent your query off to Ed, who must have been camped on his computer, because he sent a reply back right away. Here 'tis:

Hi, coastiemike. There's no such thing as an "official flower" for Silverymoon, BUT there's only one flower that anyone in Silverymoon would consider using or wearing in such a ceremony. It's called either "blueshine" or "moonflower," and is a tiny white tulip-shaped flower surrounded by six triangular green leaves. The green leaves glow a vivid blue when touched by moonlight, and the white flower glows a pearly white - - and long, long ago, Silvaeren spellcasters devised a simple cantrip that duplicates moonlight closely enough to make these flowers glow under all lighting conditions, when it's applied to them.

So saith Ed. And there you have it . . .
love,
THO

Edit: Ed neglected to mention that this flower grows wild all over the Dessarin valley, among what's called "snowdrift" (a ground-hugging flower that looks like white clover). This comes from my own notes, jotted down during play over the years.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Jan 2008 23:11:32
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  23:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO, happy new year to the both of you (still early enough to say it!)

a recent post gave me an idea: Wolfgang Baur runs his patron-supported adventure design...

Could we become patrons for you designing Realmslore for us?

With all the names being replaced by numbers that only the patrons receive the name to of course so as to not blunder into any trapy?

I know that this may be a silly question to ask at any rate, but it would be neat.

Cheers

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  23:37:10  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message
Thanks for the quick reply, Mr. Greenwood. I'm sure my player will be thrilled with the information. And thanks Hooded One for forwarging and getting a reply back to me quickly.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  03:07:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're very welcome, coastiemike.
I bring yet another swift, brief reply from Ed, this time to Mace Hammerhand:

The concept is attractive, and although it's theoretically possible under the original Realms agreement, it's not under my current consulting contract, which has some time still to run. Not to mention the fact that I just don't have TIME to regularly provide quality Realmslore now or for the foreseeable future. I'm getting tired of being late on projects and disappointing people; it's not the way I want to go through life. :{
With that said, I can and do still write Realmslore for free when I can (largely here at the Keep, these days, or privately to scribes here who ask me privately, so as to keep their players from seeing what they ask and what replies I make).
So, for now at least, sorry but no.
Keep asking me, though. :}

So saith Ed. Who is still struggling to finish two major Realms-related projects, before he tackles the REST of the stuff piling up on his plate. He's not an idle lad, our Ed . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  03:11:10  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
Greetings. I have another Berdusk question to go with my last about the Roseportal House. The portal in Drawn Swords is a two way portal between there and Berdusk. Where in Berdusk does it lead? I assume that the Berdusk end is under Harper control as well but if adventurers and hunters use it often I would imagine that it is not in Twilight Hall but somewhere a little more public. Could this ends be rose colored, the other end is blue, giving the Roseportal House its name?

Thank you both again in advance.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  03:16:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
I just received ANOTHER Ed e-mail, hot on the heels of the first! This one is in reference to this recent post, from Ergdusch: "I have just finished reading Crown of Fire!And I have to say: Wonderful! Magnificent! All this detail, the thought that seems to be put into every word to make every character andevery place come to life! I am truely impressed! And all the little tidbits of lore esp. about Cormyr.
And when reading about Myrintara I had to think about you THO. Any chance Ed did the same when creating that pleasure-queen?
I do have a question, however, regarding the entrance to the Hidden House: Is Shandril already in the Hidden House after Tessaril shoves her through the portal? Or does she reach the House after passing through the many rooms? Thanks in advance."
Ed replies:

Glad you liked it! I had a lot of fun writing that one, though I was still learning to squeeze stories into TSR wordcounts, and had to wind up the tale a trifle abruptly.
The portal is one way into the Hidden House, so Shandril is in it the moment Tessaril shoves her through. Note that sometimes doors within the House open into one place, and at other times (or when traversed in other directions) to other places. There are many ways into and out of the House, but they tend to "hide" or disappear for periods. In short, next time someone plunges through that portal, it might not take them to the same place it took Shandril, if they don't go through it at just the right time, or in just the right manner, or carrying the right "trigger token." Heh-heh, and so on.

So saith Ed. The house was a favourite refuge for us, more than once, though quite a few Cormyreans seem to be getting to know about it . . .
love to all,
THO

Edit: Whoops, I left off the last paragraph of Ed's e-mail. Here 'tis:

As for the pleasure-queens, they are based on several adventuresome ladies I knew in my youth. Our Lovely Lady Hooded didn't happen to be one of them, but I can quite see how some might think she was. There are two Realms characters inspired by, but not based on, her, but no prizes for guessing which ones; they haven't ever been given prominence in published Realmslore. Yet. Heh-heh again.

So saith Ed (again). Really done this time; sorry about that.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 14 Jan 2008 03:19:28
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  04:21:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Greetings. I have another Berdusk question to go with my last about the Roseportal House. The portal in Drawn Swords is a two way portal between there and Berdusk. Where in Berdusk does it lead? I assume that the Berdusk end is under Harper control as well but if adventurers and hunters use it often I would imagine that it is not in Twilight Hall but somewhere a little more public. Could this ends be rose colored, the other end is blue, giving the Roseportal House its name?

Thank you both again in advance.

Hmm.

I hate to ask this but I'd, at this time, prefer if Ed or THO send you a reply to this privately because I'd like to keep Ed's answer from the twelve players in my Burdusk email game since all 12 of them are from Keep. :)

If that is an issue, then don't worry about it but I thought I'd request that Ed's answer be sent privately.....

Oh, and I'd love to know the answer to your question if Ed does send it privately.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Jan 2008 08:02:23
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  10:37:48  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all!
I just received ANOTHER Ed e-mail, hot on the heels of the first! This one is in reference to this recent post, from Ergdusch: "I have just finished reading Crown of Fire!And I have to say: Wonderful! Magnificent! All this detail, the thought that seems to be put into every word to make every character andevery place come to life! I am truely impressed! And all the little tidbits of lore esp. about Cormyr.
I do have a question, however, regarding the entrance to the Hidden House: Is Shandril already in the Hidden House after Tessaril shoves her through the portal? Or does she reach the House after passing through the many rooms? Thanks in advance."
Ed replies:

Glad you liked it! I had a lot of fun writing that one, though I was still learning to squeeze stories into TSR wordcounts, and had to wind up the tale a trifle abruptly.
The portal is one way into the Hidden House, so Shandril is in it the moment Tessaril shoves her through. Note that sometimes doors within the House open into one place, and at other times (or when traversed in other directions) to other places. There are many ways into and out of the House, but they tend to "hide" or disappear for periods. In short, next time someone plunges through that portal, it might not take them to the same place it took Shandril, if they don't go through it at just the right time, or in just the right manner, or carrying the right "trigger token." Heh-heh, and so on.

So saith Ed. The house was a favourite refuge for us, more than once, though quite a few Cormyreans seem to be getting to know about it . . .
love to all,
THO

Edit: Whoops, I left off the last paragraph of Ed's e-mail. Here 'tis:

As for the pleasure-queens, they are based on several adventuresome ladies I knew in my youth. Our Lovely Lady Hooded didn't happen to be one of them, but I can quite see how some might think she was. There are two Realms characters inspired by, but not based on, her, but no prizes for guessing which ones; they haven't ever been given prominence in published Realmslore. Yet. Heh-heh again.

So saith Ed (again). Really done this time; sorry about that.
love,
THO

Magnificent Reply! Thanks Ed foranswering and THO for transmitting!

Truely, magnificent! [Claps hands jolly]

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  15:57:59  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
A quick question for Ed. Do roads in 'civilised' areas have route markers/distance stones. (Not milestones as miles aren't used in the Realms.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000