Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 How bloody stupid do they think Mystra is? A RANT
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  20:00:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I don't think there should be any "main villain" in the Realms.

Agreed. Having a main villain not only limits other villainous options, but it also means that the main villain will wind up being a primary focus. While that is certainly what's happening with Shar, I think it damages the setting. I like having oodles of evil folk, running around and sometimes stepping on each other's toes. It's more realistic, to me, and it gives more roleplaying opportunities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  20:10:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I like having oodles of evil folk, running around and sometimes stepping on each other's toes. It's more realistic, to me, and it gives more roleplaying opportunities.

Indeed, in my opinion it's way more fun when evil isn't monolithic.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  23:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus
And Tyr falling in love with Tymora? Why not.

Note that the relevant text in GHotR never even mentions the word "love", or states that any one god in the scenerio actually loved another.

quote:
I like Shar as the main villain instead of Bane, who's always straight forward (tyranny and world domination ect).

Yeah, but there is always some evil god who is the main bad guy. First Bane (with the help of Myrkul and Bhaal), then Cyric and now Shar (again with Cyric). Who's next? (maybe Mask makes a comeback as the mastermind ) The thing I like about Shar is because, for me, was I didn't expect it from her.
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  23:40:31  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I like having oodles of evil folk, running around and sometimes stepping on each other's toes. It's more realistic, to me, and it gives more roleplaying opportunities.

Indeed, in my opinion it's way more fun when evil isn't monolithic.

Yes, we know that, and the history of the Realms has shown us that, but of course to the new MMO-addled audience that WoTC are after, one big supper baddie is the way to go...

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  00:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah, but there is always some evil god who is the main bad guy. First Bane (with the help of Myrkul and Bhaal), then Cyric and now Shar (again with Cyric). Who's next? (maybe Mask makes a comeback as the mastermind ) The thing I like about Shar is because, for me, was I didn't expect it from her.

The problem with the "condensed list of gods" in 4e is that you have less choice as to which evil deity is behind it all. DMs can simply "roll a d6" to get the deity when creating an adventure instead of the "d8 (for the pantheon) and then a d10 (for the specific deity)" which worked in 3e. A lot duller IMO and it gets even worse for good aligned gods.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  00:37:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Note that the relevant text in GHotR never even mentions the word "love", or states that any one god in the scenerio actually loved another.

quote:
I like Shar as the main villain instead of Bane, who's always straight forward (tyranny and world domination ect).

Not really... While Bane did cause a lot of trouble, and Cyric did, too, there were always other evil folks around, and there were good guys that weren't solely dedicated to stopping just this one deity's followers. We had evil groups that didn't have too much to do with the gods, and good guys that worked towards a general good -- which didn't automatically mean thwarting evil group X and ignoring everyone else.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  01:13:55  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on the events of Avatar IV and V, Mask could have requested a greater deity call a council of the pantheon's greater gods to force Shar off his portfolio of shadows.

It's not as if Shar governed the portfolios of intrigue or shadows, and much of the pantheon would benefit by requiring her to adhere to her given portfolios.

Or did I misunderstand the mechanic of the council?
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  01:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not really... While Bane did cause a lot of trouble, and Cyric did, too, there were always other evil folks around, and there were good guys that weren't solely dedicated to stopping just this one deity's followers. We had evil groups that didn't have too much to do with the gods, and good guys that worked towards a general good -- which didn't automatically mean thwarting evil group X and ignoring everyone else.

You have a point but, when fighting one particular evil force the rest isn't ignored. I didn't mean the gods are the only villains but they're scheming the most I think. When was the last time the Red Wizards or the Cult of Dragons did something devastating?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  04:02:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Based on the events of Avatar IV and V, Mask could have requested a greater deity call a council of the pantheon's greater gods to force Shar off his portfolio of shadows.

It's not as if Shar governed the portfolios of intrigue or shadows, and much of the pantheon would benefit by requiring her to adhere to her given portfolios.

You're prolly right... But Mask's reaction to Shar poaching his portfolio was something that was strangely ignored in 3E.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  04:08:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You have a point but, when fighting one particular evil force the rest isn't ignored. I didn't mean the gods are the only villains but they're scheming the most I think. When was the last time the Red Wizards or the Cult of Dragons did something devastating?

Why does it have to be devestating? The Red Wal-Marts did more to spread Thayvan influence than anything they'd pulled for 200 years before that.

As for the Cult of the Dragon, they were major players in the recent Dragonrage...

The thing is, though, that from what we've seen of 4E thus far, if there is something evil, it's somehow connected to Shar. For the last couple of years, she's been the major force for evil in the Realms, and the Shattered Realms appear to be continuing that trend. It appears that other evil deities -- like Bane -- or groups -- like the Twisted Rune -- are just sitting on their hands, watching Shar do all the evil stuff.

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  04:26:24  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're prolly right... But Mask's reaction to Shar poaching his portfolio was something that was strangely ignored in 3E.
[/quote]

I thought I read something about how Mask was tryin to get Shar to be his sugar mama.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  05:12:43  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Thanks, Wooly!

Unless Ao stripped Mask of his portfolios or Mask *was* Vhaeraun and exited stage right with Vhaeraun, Mask needs to speak up. Gods willing, Kemp will explain all in the last Cale novel....

(This has bearing matter on how I procede with the shadow-mania WOTC's unleashed upon my 3.5 FR.)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  07:09:49  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The thing is, though, that from what we've seen of 4E thus far, if there is something evil, it's somehow connected to Shar. For the last couple of years, she's been the major force for evil in the Realms, and the Shattered Realms appear to be continuing that trend. It appears that other evil deities -- like Bane -- or groups -- like the Twisted Rune -- are just sitting on their hands, watching Shar do all the evil stuff.

Maybe this is all because Rich Baker likes goth chicks?
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  15:33:29  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goth chicks are fun, for a while at least.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  16:39:11  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, the focus on Shar actually made me like the presentation of her FAR less. She's one of the oldest deities in the Realms, the Goddess of Secrets (amongst other things) and the portrayal is that of a short sighted, hammer wielding berserker, rather than a being who counts centuries as blinks of the eye. But then, the number of presentations of gods actions and motivations (in novel or source) that I find to be palatable could be counted on one hand.

But really, it's a vicious circle (IMO). Books with big bangs sell but source information with big players removes the spotlight from the PCs. Or, at least, that's my perception of events so far.

And, last for this post, monolithic anything tends to be not only limiting (wasn't the reason they blew up the realms because the background lore limited people too much?) but also forced and removes any sense of verisimilitude in any setting.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  18:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah, but there is always some evil god who is the main bad guy.

That doesn't mean it's desirable (or should be that way).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  20:08:36  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Yeah, but there is always some evil god who is the main bad guy.

That doesn't mean it's desirable (or should be that way).

And it's certainly not always.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  21:44:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong here, but I take this all to mean that cyric is the puppeteer behind it all. Only question I have is how is he duping/controlling Shar? SHouldn't she be more powerful?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  22:07:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I could be wrong here, but I take this all to mean that cyric is the puppeteer behind it all. Only question I have is how is he duping/controlling Shar? SHouldn't she be more powerful?

How do you come to that conclusion? If he was the puppeteer, he wouldn't have wound up in such a bad position for himself...

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  22:27:13  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

How do you come to that conclusion? If he was the puppeteer, he wouldn't have wound up in such a bad position for himself...

Cyric a puppeteer? Last I heard was that he is kinda insane (in 3rd edition), which is kinda contradictory to the self-control he would need to manipulate others. But maybe he was just acting and fooling all the gods (and his portfolio wasnt murder and strife, but rather "Hollywood").

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Edited by - Pandora on 14 Aug 2008 22:27:46
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  01:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, he would if he was an incompetent puppeteer.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Aug 2008 01:56:11
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  04:18:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I didn't say he was a good one

I have always thought he was incompitent ,but seems to be able to do things beyond his power and abilities.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  16:40:22  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I like to know is, that even thou Shar gathered enough power to kill mystra, what about Azuth, he lives on Dweomerheart as well doesn't he?? And Larloch or the high Telamont they are so dependent on the weave that they would do what they could to prevent this. Especially Larloch. And also how do you get the weave sick... and as a divine being Mystra is immune to poisen is she not???

It justs does not make any sence... and all the other godt what the h.ll were they doing... at the moment of disaster? Masturbating???

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  19:32:25  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't Mystra's portfolio sense have alerted her to a potentially major disruption in the Weave 180 days before it happened?

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 22 Aug 2008 19:34:27
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Shouldn't Mystra's portfolio sense have alerted her to a potentially major disruption in the Weave 180 days before it happened?
Now, now. That only applies if you want to deal with the subject logically and according to established lore.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:24:51  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

Now, now. That only applies if you want to deal with the subject logically and according to established lore.

Oh my! My mistake. I guess the real reason was that Mystra was washing her hair when she got killed. Or doing her nails.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:33:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She had the big date with Kelemvor and she knows that he *hates* it when she's running late!

Of course, now I'm picturing Azuth running around Dweomerheart, chasing after Mystra in a bathrobe with a towel on her head telling her 'But Mistress, this is Important!!'.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  04:37:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

Actually, I have thought of a way around that, and it doesn't really go against canon... If you say that the Karsus stone was involved, and if you say that since it belonged to a former deity of magic, then it could act as a screen, and then it all works. Yes, this was very much inspired by the Venom symbiote being immune to Spider-Man's spider-sense.

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  05:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could Shar have blocked Mystra's portfolio sense at all?

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  05:35:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought of the Karse-stone scenario myself, when I first heard about this - Shar went to a lot of trouble getting it, so it makes some sense that it still somehow holds a link to Mystra's power.

A link Shar obviously somehow exploited.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000