Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What books are you missing from your collection?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  04:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
To those of you who do indeed collect these books as well as read them and try to keep them in (somewhat) good condition, then what books are you missing in your Forgotten Realms Library?

As for me I'm missing: Condemnation, Empires Trilogy, Netheril Trilogy, Maztica Trilogy, Lord of Stormweather-Sands of the Soul, Realms of Shadow, and Realms of the Arcane, and quite a bit of the Harpers

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  06:41:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I was only missing the novel Condemnation up until last night, but after a quick trip to the bookstore I am now happy to say, that at this point I am missing no FR novels. Also, I found Realms of the Deep last night also. I mentioned in another thread - this one - that I was missing that anthology as well.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 May 2003 06:50:19
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of them. It would be easier to list what I do have. Of course, I can blame it all on my brother. See, since he had most of them (as, I believe, he still does, though I've not seen his collection in some time) it didn't seem much of a priority to get my own copies. After all, if I wanted to read it, I'd just take a quick trip up to his room to borrow it. He'd do the same for those I got to first. The we actually turned it into a sort of game -- for books we both liked, it was a race to see who would get it first.

After he moved out, I started slowly buying copies of books he had had. However, being spoiled by used bookstores and their cheaper prices (gee, have I mentioned this before? ) this was very slow. Especially as I didn't get ones that I'd already read unless I liked them a lot.

But never fear -- after coming here (what, has it only been four and a half months?) I've become fanatical once again about these things. I won't be on a shopping spree just yet -- my funds are, after all, tight -- but I will be getting those holes filled in.

Now if only my sageliness will be intact after this revealing confession . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  08:01:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no, Bookwyrm's secret has been revealed

Just kidding. Don't worry about it too much Bookwyrm, I know people who have the nearly the entire collection of FR novels, and haven't read them. They just buy the novels and sit them on their shelves waiting for the day when the novels they have are considered rare and high in value. They then like to sell these novels to collectors at the highest price possible. Now that's just annoying .

Oh, and Zaknafein, may the luck of Tymora be with you when you are trying to find the Maztica trilogy, for me, it was almost as difficult to find as the Moonshae trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  17:18:49  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend not to buy every forgotten realms book out there because of some terrible experiences. I really only get books from areas of the realms I am interested in. I never thought to pick up the Lords of stormweather halls, but I might just have too now. I have all the OLD books up until they started publishing the Harpers. Some of the harpers books I have, others I don't. Some of the harpers books have been just BAD. I LVOED RED MAGIC THOUGH!!! That was incredible!

I have also found when I wanted to find out what sort of canon material happened in a book I did not care to read, I can pretty much get it from some net site spoilers, or the supplement when it is published. I would love to read more realms books but since my time is limited I worried I might short myself if I read JUST realms and not the other VERY TALENTED writers who are not contracted for worlds.

I am reading THousand Orcs JUST so I can find out what happened to Drizzt, and becasue the NORTH is my favourite area. I am not even really looking that forward to it. I WISH the Drizzt books would hit the level they were once at.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 31 May 2003 17:23:57
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  17:42:13  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade, which Harper books do you class as bad? Just curious as Ive read all but three of them (just reading Thornhold at the moment which makes that 3.5 I guess..... enjoying it so far!)

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 31 May 2003 17:42:35
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  20:28:15  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Missing: Moonshae Trilogy, Druidhome Trilogy, Empires Trilogy, Maztica Trilogy, Twilight Giants Trilogy, Harpers 1,2,3,5,7, Double Diamond Triangle Saga 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9, Murder in Halruaa, Once Around the Realms, The Dream Spheres, Songs and Swords 2,5.

A few of those I'm missing are books that I already have (ie: Songs and Swords 2 is Elfsong, which I have as Harpers 8, and Harpers 2 is Elfshadow, which I have as Songs and Swords 1), but most are books I'm going to have to find at used book stores and the like. I suppose I could use Ebay or Amazon or something like that eventually, but for now I enjoy trying to track them down in person. You never know what interesting things you might find.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  23:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My FR novel collection is pretty much complete. The only novel im "missing" is Windwalker.... purely because im waiting til next year to buy the paperback edition as I have the new releases of Daughter of the Drow and Tangled Webs and buying a hardcover Windwalker just wouldnt go well on my shelves

Other than that, im fully up to date and quite proud of my FR novel shelves

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  23:56:45  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

My FR novel collection is pretty much complete. The only novel im "missing" is Windwalker.... purely because im waiting til next year to buy the paperback edition as I have the new releases of Daughter of the Drow and Tangled Webs and buying a hardcover Windwalker just wouldnt go well on my shelves

Other than that, im fully up to date and quite proud of my FR novel shelves

Hey Rad you could just buy the original Hardcovers of the Starlight and shadows with the CHEESY artwork. I know what you mean though, I have Daughter of the Drow---BAD ART Tangled Webs----Kinda bad art And WINDWALKER-----INCREDIBLE ART

I thought that book 5 the Ring of Winter was pathetic. I remember that I didn't like The CRYPT of the SHADOW KING either, but I read it so long ago I can't remember WHY I didn't like it, I only remember throwing it in my BOX OF BOOKS I DON'T CARE ABOUT. I remember the one with Myrmheen Lall I did not like either. The night brigade or something. I barely even pay attention to that canon material.

Turns out I have to push Thousand Orcs behind again because I just bought Condemnation. Windwalker was incredible, and I am sure Condemnation will be VERY good to read, I just wish Thomas Reid could write them all. Still I think that Tangled webs was the best Of the Starlight and Shadows. we'll see if Condemnation can beat Insurrection... That is going to be tough to do.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  02:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

just reading Thornhold at the moment which makes that 3.5 I guess..... enjoying it so far!

You'll see. It's good halfway through, then it goes bad. I've stated before that my opinion on it is that Elaine Cunningham was told about halfway through that she had to break up the Harpers or something. (Maybe the Coastal Scribes could shed some light on that? ) Whatever the cause, though, the storyline excuse for what happens to the Harpers is just weak.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  02:59:43  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is the Night Parade, Mournblade, and I didn't much care for it either.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  08:56:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade said -
quote:
we'll see if Condemnation can beat Insurrection... That is going to be tough to do.

While I would have agreed with you this morning, looking back now with just having finished Condemnation this very hour, I will only say that, Mournblade, the battle between the two books was very great indeed. In the end however Condemnation won me over, it was incredible.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  23:12:07  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That fills me with quite a bit of confidence. I am reading ORIGIN OF SPECIES now but I think I might take a break and Read Condemnation. More likely I will read both during this week. I often read one fiction and one non-fiction book at a time.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  04:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that all? I have open no less than two fictions (one's an anthology), a textbook (philosophy), and numerous D&D/FR info-books. It's hard work catching up with you guys!

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  05:02:16  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The two books I mentioned are not counting the:

Chemistry and Physics and Biology Texts I am reading
The Medieval Encyclopedia I am reading
ANd I NEVER count all the RPG material I am reading at the moment.
I just finished this months LAME Scientific American, so that is done at least

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  05:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL. Okay, Mournblade, I stand corrected.

I haven't gotten around to that issue of SciAm. Thank's for the heads-up. I won't expect great things from it this month.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  05:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that Condemnation has arrived I now only lack the Moonshae Trilogy, and by Bitch Queen's Breath I WILL have it. It'll take the combined armies of Heaven and Hell to stop this scholarly person from completing his collection, and it ain't too likely for the Archdevils and Solars to get along just to stop me.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  11:17:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I'm up-to-date with the FR novels, I am currently re-reading the Sembia series, an archaeology textbook, a book on C++ data structures, and the CBT ComStar Field Manual. As well as this I am re-reading the City of Splendors boxed set, since my Evermeet campaign will soon be heading for Waterdeep.

Anyway as for my original reason for posting - Mournblade, are you reading the first (and more accurate manuscript according to Charles Darwin's original work) edition, or the heavily modified (and more widely distributed) badly revised sixth edition?.

Anyway,

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  18:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm... let's see now... what all do i need... considering i collect more than it seems most people around here do of the series...

The Druid Queen (Druidhome #3), Crypt of the Shadowking (Harper #6), The Dark Elf Trilogy: Collector's Edition (Hardcover), Conspiracy (tDDTS #6), The Cleric Quintet: Collector's Ed. (Both Paperback and Hardcover), Legacy of the Drow (Paperback), Condemnation (WotSQ #3).

Hrm... not to mention the majority of everything else that is out this year... hehe...

Ooohhh... And Neverwinter Nights... since it's now labeled as "TBA" (To be announced) On the Wizards' website... hehe... and Amazon.com lists it as out of print... even tho it's never been printed...

Other than novels... there's 3rd Ed gamebooks... the comics (which one day... i will get... i found a comic shop that has the majority of one DC set... though i didn't look for the other sets... as i didn't think of them and didn't know their names...

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  22:16:12  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Since I'm up-to-date with the FR novels, I am currently re-reading the Sembia series, an archaeology textbook, a book on C++ data structures, and the CBT ComStar Field Manual. As well as this I am re-reading the City of Splendors boxed set, since my Evermeet campaign will soon be heading for Waterdeep.

Anyway as for my original reason for posting - Mournblade, are you reading the first (and more accurate manuscript according to Charles Darwin's original work) edition, or the heavily modified (and more widely distributed) badly revised sixth edition?.

Anyway,

Apparently I am reading a Fascimile of the original publication. It was put out by Harvard Library. THe first one I picked up was the MODERN WORLD library edition. I scrapped that one after comparing it with the fascimile. I am reading an edition put out by Bantam. I matched it up with the fascimile and it on the spots i checked, it matched word for word.

I have no idea why they print the Modern World Library edition. It seems to me anyone that is going to read ORigin of Species would want DARWIN's thoughts not some editor.

Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  01:59:10  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still looking for Feathered Dragon and about the last eight Harpers.
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  19:05:16  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Missing: Moonshae Trilogy, Druidhome Trilogy book 3, Harpers 5,7, Double Diamond Triangle Saga 4,5,6,7,9, Murder in Halruaa, The Dream Spheres, Songs and Swords 2,5.

The gods have been kind to me this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  06:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bleh... soon after i order a used copy of Conspiracy... my bro bids on some other books for me... and tonight, had i not of noticed a wet carpet... where it shouldn't have been wet... i might have lost my whole collection (5 books short... not including books still coming out)... The AC decided to leak, get clogged or something... so it leaked water that soaked the carpet to my 5-shelf bookshelf... and had started to inch up the base of the wooden bookshelf... luckily i noticed the wet floor and told my dad something was leaking... tho i had to pull ALL my books... novels... DND gamebooks... minatures... marvel heroclix... and all OFF the bookshelf and move the bookshelf to let it's base dry... then i'll have to resort and restack everything onto it... bleh...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  07:47:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oof. I know how you feel. In my room, I have two bookcases that can't be moved, right next to each other. (Well, one can move, but that's because it's got a wheel and a hinge, and doubles as my closet door.) A year after putting it in, we started getting chronic leaks through the ceiling -- right over them. We've fixed the problem (well, I did have a short leak a few months ago, ruined one book ) but for a while I had taken to rigging a cover of towels over the shelves, just incase it started again. In short, it sucked.

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  21:40:09  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... considering i didn't want to open a new post just for this... but on the copyright page of the books
Beneath the library of congress card catalog number... it does a countdown of numbers... 20-14... or 20-11... or 9-1... what do those symbolize? the lower the numbers the older the books (as in first printing, etc?)

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  23:36:39  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh... another question... anyone know of the Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition Hardcover that has Cattibrie, Drizzt, and Guen on the cover... standing under a tree on a sunny day... instead of the cover the has them and Wulfgar on a snowy cliff...?
Is it a special edition or something of the collector's edition or what? I've found a few on Ebay... and i'm pondering trying to bid on one... I've never seen it with this cover, ive only seen the bluish-book with the cliff...

Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  02:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the Icewind Dale Trilogy hardcover, but it came with NO dust jacket.

If anyone has either cover they want to get rid of, let me know
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  20:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

Oh... another question... anyone know of the Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition Hardcover that has Cattibrie, Drizzt, and Guen on the cover... standing under a tree on a sunny day... instead of the cover the has them and Wulfgar on a snowy cliff...?
Is it a special edition or something of the collector's edition or what? I've found a few on Ebay... and i'm pondering trying to bid on one... I've never seen it with this cover, ive only seen the bluish-book with the cliff...

I have that edition, as far as i can tell it is the first release of the trilogy as one book. I think the second cover came out later to match the cover of the Dark Elf collectors edition.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  20:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As of this moment, I have all of the Forgotten Realms novels that have been released. As far reading them, All I have not read (and I am working on it) is the Pools books and the Sembia series. Now, I am looking of a set of the comics.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  03:17:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest leaving the 'Pools' books until last. The Sembia series is far more interesting than the 'Pools' trilogy, but then, that is just my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  04:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*dances around* FInally i got all the books up until the most recent... hehe... and once i finish Crypt of the shadowking... i'll have all but Alabaster Staff and Twilight Falling read (though that is one book i need)...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000