Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Daughter of the Drow CHANGES....?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  22:09:13  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, so last week I finished Frostfell on my lunch breaks at work (I work a Waldenbooks btw.. good read) and couldn't decide what to read. I gave in and decided to read more drow novels, not that I don't like Elaine's work, I love it, I just read too much about elves in the Realms and not enough about other stuff that I'm trying to catch up.

Anyway, so I started reading Daughter of the Drow and started to get into it. I could see why others like it. So this weekend I did some reading about home. Since I'm reading the original TSR novel, I couldn't rely on page numbers back at work so I just noted where I was in the story. Because of this I discovered something.

The end of Chapter 5 is different in the original TSR version of the book then the WotC Starlight & Shadow softcover.

So I'm wondering..

How much was changed?
Why was it changed? Seems like the TSR COC edited stuff out of the end of chapter 5.
Did I miss the memo about changes to the original books?
And did anything in the Songs & Swords books change when they got collected?

Oh and before I forget... which version should I read?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  00:02:39  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
58 people read this and haven't said boo... I guess no one noticed the changes.

Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  00:30:33  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I've never read the WotC Starlight and Shadows reprint of Daughter of the Drow, so I'm afraid I dunno anything about the changes. Sorry. Its weird that they changed the end of a chapter; perhaps somebody found some sort of continuity screwup....

like the one I found later in the book. Like I said, I know nothing about the changes, but I think there is one definite inconsistency betwixt DotD and Windwalker. I won't elaborate since you are reading DotD and we might stray into spoiler country. [I wish you joy in the experience, incidentally; I thought it was great. Elaine Cunningham's books usually are.] I'll just say that I'd be interested to know if the character Elkantar is mentioned near the end of the WotC reprint.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  01:13:14  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not really a continuity issue change.. Liriel is lewder toward the prietess that comes to collect her.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  21:42:55  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I finished reading Daughter of the Drow yesterday and all I can say is wow. Where have I been and why haven't I read this before? :)

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  16:52:53  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked it too, but would be interested in the change of chapter 5. Anything more you are willing to tell us SirUrza ?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  22:15:38  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't check as I was reading through.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  18:47:34  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No worries--there are no substantive changes between issues. A couple of minor things, nothing more.

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  08:46:02  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven’t been worried, just intrigued .

But thanks for the clarification Mrs. Cunningham! It’s nice to see that you are still with us here, and be assured that I won’t bother you with questions right now – I’m just waiting impatiently for the reopening off your thread .
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  23:00:02  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just curious as to why? :)

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2007 :  03:38:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I'm just curious as to why? :)

It has been years since the Todd Lockwood edition of Starlight & Shadows was released. I do remember that changes were few and minor, but other than that...I'm coming up empty.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2007 :  22:01:39  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh alrighty. Thanks for the reply and merry christmas! :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000