Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Stardeep *Spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ramar
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  15:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Ramar's Homepage Send Ramar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just got done reading Stardeep by Bruce R. Cordel. I now have increased respect for my fellow former South Dakotan. I thought the book was really good and gave some forshadowing of the aboleth comment in the Orc King.

Question: I have never heard anything about the Aboleth Sovereignty or their "sleeping" city. Is this something new (from the upcoming Elder Evils?) or is there a basis somewhere else (like a drastict reinterpretation of the Night Below Adventure)?

Edited by - Ramar on 22 Nov 2007 18:16:17

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2007 :  19:02:05  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the Sovereignty is new to the Forgotten Realms, but it bears certain similarities to the Aboleth origins discussed in Lords of Madness (the same book also features a prestige class called "Keeper of the Cerulean Sign").

Edited by - nb_nmare on 22 Nov 2007 19:04:06
Go to Top of Page

Ramar
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  20:27:01  Show Profile  Visit Ramar's Homepage Send Ramar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Stardeep also incorporates the Keepers of the Cerulean Sign (however they involve non-spellcasters as well). Bruce seems to modify the Keepers to make it a lost organization that seems only to exist within the Star Elves' society. He also changed the way the "signs" work in that they are more like artifacts instead of wonderous items.

The background of the Sovereignty incorporates the aboleth origins discussed in Lords of Madness; however, the talk of the aboleth city of xzihl (spelling??) is new to me. I have been unable to find any information about this primordial city (as the backgrounds of the aboleth and illithids in Lords of Madness were mostly new to that book). I was wondering if there was any information that I may have missed such as references in Grand History of the Realms (which I don't have) or hints/allusions in other books that have come out in the last year or so.

Thanks for your response nb_nmare
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  10:45:27  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if it might contain spoilers: I'm very curious about the Aboleth references made here. Aboleth are the main BBEGs in my campaign (centered around the "Night Below" boxed set), so every tidbit of lore about them is interesting for me.

And on the same topic: What other FR novels feature Aboleth? I don't remember having read much about them before, but since I haven't read many of the recent novels, I fear I might have missed Abloeth lore...
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  14:40:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An aboleth featured in part of the War of the Spider Queen novels.
Go to Top of Page

Ramar
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  17:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Ramar's Homepage Send Ramar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The War of the Spider Queen is the only other novels that I can think of that mention aboleth. In the FR, I would suggest the polyhedron article dealing with Llurth Dreir and Drizz't Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark (both 2nd ed) for great information to supplement Night Below [probably my second favorite campaign ever].
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31715 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  23:20:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the top of my head...

Aboleths lurk in "The Deeps" -- especially the Deepfall. See Dwarves Deep.

Deep dragons of the Underdark prize the flesh of aboleth.

From Ed:-

"The Low Road is a long Underdark route, known to certain dwarves, connecting Glen to the subterranean dwarf realm east of the Great Rift (see the map included with DWARVES DEEP).
[...]
There’s also an aboleth-governed subterranean lake (name not known to Volo) along the Road, that as it passes this lake winds through a maze of half-flooded tunnels to discourage drow and other attacks."

There's aboleth lore in the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

Don't forget Piscaethes the Blood Queen, an aboleth deity. See Night Below, DDGttU, and Lords of Madness. And the Skum Lord, from Skullport.

Aboleth are known to reside in the Jungles of Chult.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  19:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall there was an aboleth in Elaine Cunningham's Tangled Webs, as well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000