Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Beowulf in IMAX 3D
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:35:39  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Delete Topic
Sorry fellow scribes...

I am aware that this does not pertain to the Realms, but I hope that it will, one day, pertain.

I am talking of the Beowulf movie, which I saw Saturday afternoon in IMAX 3D. I have been completely astonished by the 3D effects, the story and the sheer boost that this movie just gave to fantasy fiction. If you haven't seen it: run to the nearest IMAX 3D, no matter how far it is. This is perhaps the most significant fantasy movie I have ever seen: if not on par with LotR, a close second.

I truly hope this movie heralds the "future" of fantasy fiction. I could picture Elminster's pointy hat and Piergeiron's shiny armor as I was watching the movie. This movie impacted me so much that I will from this day try to get involved in the 3D/fantasy fiction industry; if not by direct involvement, certainly by judicious selection of certain additions to my stocks portfolio. That's how important I think this movie will be on the fantasy genre and overall movie industry.

Ed: if you need a fanboy to start fanning the Forgotten Realms IMAX 3D flames... say the words! I have a certain gift when the times call for the spreading of rumors... (this gift can only be used for a good [read: Realmsmian] cause though)

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message
That would be so AMAZING to see. I would be on the first line to see it in quebec if it come here... But sincerely I really think that could work... And you don't really ahve to take big movie Fan.. Look StarTrek. THey always take nobodies... That is their criteria, not to be known in the market. And they doing amazing things. Not just because of the special effect, but because a lot of those actor and actress really bring when comming up.

Could make a real good movie with not that much money and i'm preaty shure a lot of peaple will comme to see it, just because we are Fan of FR... In quebec we are so much...
Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message
I'm in! That's a realy great idea. I think that if it work for tolkien and even for the flop Harry Potter movie were, think of the great movies Fr could do!

Destiny is as great as our choice.
A situation will always have two side, a bad and a good.
May the song of the Dark Maiden guide the step of your life's dance
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:45:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I did see Beowulf, but not in 3D. If I can get someone to go with me to the New York City area (which isn't *that* far away, but it's still a bit of a drive), then maybe I'll see the 3D version. I still loved the movie for what it was on the regular screen though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  02:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I'd like to remind all scribes that Ed (and Jeff Grubb, and Wolfgang Baur, and Lynn Abbey) all participated in a Brian Thomsen-edited anthology of original Beowulf stories, THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF BEOWULF Champion of Middle Earth (trade paperback, from Carroll & Graf) that was supposed to coincide with the release of this movie, but beat it by a year (the movie release was delayed for special effects additions and editing). I have since heard a rumor that Ed was involved in the writing of the movie in some small way (Neil Gaiman was "the" writer), but this rumor may be entirely mistaken, and based on confusion with this fiction anthology.
I liked the anthology. Worth a look.
BB
P.S. So, PDK, it DOES pertain to the Realms, after all.

Edited by - Blueblade on 20 Nov 2007 02:36:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  03:38:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I have my doubts as to how this movie is relevant to the Realms... But, based on nothing more than Blueblade's notation of that anthology, I'm leaving the thread open, for now.

As for myself, I have absolutely no interest in this movie. I've never been particularly enamored of the story, and nothing in the previews has drawn my interest. I prolly won't even see it on DVD, when it comes out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  13:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I prolly won't even see it on DVD, when it comes out.

Which will be a big mistake of yours Wooly. I have seen it in 3D and it was tremendous (Dragon anyone?). To see FR in this format would be spectacular.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  15:55:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Well, to each, their own. It'd be pretty cool if Ed was involved, though!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  17:15:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Well, I am more or less in the same category as Wooly here when it comes to this movie. I do enjoy the original Beowulf, but this doesn't seem like anything I would like.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  17:20:22  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, I am more or less in the same category as Wooly here when it comes to this movie. I do enjoy the original Beowulf, but this doesn't seem like anything I would like.

Ah, but what could possibly put you off? Grendel looking like reskinned Gollum an aged, decrepit zombie? Angelina Jolie as Grendel's mom?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  17:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I loved Grendel's mother as a character. Of course, I also have no doubt that having a nude Angelina Jolie (albeit an animated one) added to the movie's popularity.

For myself, I didn't mind looking at a muscular Viking. He was so coyly covered during his nude scene, though, that it easy to laugh at. Reminded me of the scene in the recent Simpsons movie where Bart rides his skateboard naked, yet always managed to be covered up by something in the scenery.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  17:55:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
I am looking forward to seeing this movie, but I doubt I will get to see it in 3D, no local IMAX.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  19:27:25  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message
This movie has lots of things wrong with it.One grendel only attacked hrothgars castle not the village there was no village onl a outpost where the real story or peom takes place.Two grendel mother was not human or human looking for that matter.Three the dragon never flew it fought beowulf head to head on foot. I don't think i'm going to like this version of beowulf. I liked the Beowulf movie with Christopher lambert thats as close to the story actualle story i've seen. Also even though the poem yes poem not story,has no known author it is the basis for fantasy.J.R.R. took his ideas from here.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  20:23:08  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
I agree that it wasn't really an accurate version of the story, but I get the sense that in some ways it was meant to be allegorical. Regardless, I thought it was a rocking film and was impressed that it managed to include some skin scenes that appeal to all genders and sexual orientations.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  21:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Last Saturday "Mad TV" had a mock commercial the gist of which was: "You've seen the movie, now return to the book which first introduced you to the story" (cut to Cliff's Notes: Beowulf).

To keep the mods happy: implementing in-game an answer of Ed's to a question of mine regarding "Common" in Faerun, I have told the cunning linguist in the player party that fluency in a language is not automatic just because she gets a rank of Speak Language; it takes time to develop fluency (albeit not very long, out of fairness to the player). I found a terrific example of how I think that should be implemented in The 13th Warrior, the last cinematic incarnation of the Beowulf story. I think that this has to be seen and heard in the movie to be understood fully: when Ibn Fadlan (played by Antonio Banderas) first hears the Norse language, it's nothing but gibberish -- any time the presentation is from his point of view, that's all that the audience hears; recognizable English words gradually pop up in the speech of the Norse men, until after a few weeks (about ten minutes on screen), Ibn Fadlan hears everything they say in his own language (which is English, not Arabic, for cinematic purposes). We actually "learn" Norse along with Ibn Fadlan. It was very cool, regardless of how the rest of the movie played out.

(I just saw that this was my 800th post. Deneir's ink-stained fingers, I'm garrulous!)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 20 Nov 2007 21:41:17
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  22:33:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Thanks Jamallo.

I've not really seen much that's Realms-related in this scroll. Please try to keep it relevant to the FR. I know it's hard, but we've a Forum Code of Conduct for a reason.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  01:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I agree that it wasn't really an accurate version of the story, but I get the sense that in some ways it was meant to be allegorical. Regardless, I thought it was a rocking film and was impressed that it managed to include some skin scenes that appeal to all genders and sexual orientations.

Heehee!

I recall reading that the writers were actually playing with the fact that Beowulf is a supposed to be a "legend" (not a history) and that what we learn from the poem is often conveyed through an unreliable narrator. So, what's in the movie is "the true story" that inspired the legend.

I really like what the writers did with that.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Nov 2007 01:59:00
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  03:58:49  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message
They ruined it (stupid fat hobbiteses) lol hope some one gets that. I saw the 13 warrior and its good one of my favorite movies only barly does it resemble beowulf, I think its its own story if you get what I mean( no real relatonship to beowulf).And about the writters writting it to make it seem like the story in the movie lead to how the legend of beowulf came about is not that good of an idea they could have done better.Like reading the peom and making it the way its written. OK,OK may be I'm being a little hard on a movie I haven't even seen yet. But I've seen alot of movies that should have been great but they screw them up and there are alot of them.All because they didn't write it according to the orginal story. There I'm done.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  05:10:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay fellow scribes, this scroll was stretching the subject of "general Realms discussion" to begin with. I think it's clear now that we're no longer discussing FR as such.

Scroll sealed.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000